Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

I don't think dungeon meshi should be an extended epic.

It seems like a work that should end at 3 or 4 volumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cherish brevity.

It's in Harta too which has had a lot of short run series in the past.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

I don't either, but i'd prefer it ended when the author was finished with their ideas instead of prematurely. I have no clue where raws are compared to translations, or how the manga industry works in japan for small stuff like this though

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Fellis posted:

I don't either, but i'd prefer it ended when the author was finished with their ideas instead of prematurely. I have no clue where raws are compared to translations, or how the manga industry works in japan for small stuff like this though

Harta is a smaller Enterbrain publication that runs shorter original series mostly. A lot of one shots and stories that end after 2 or 3 volumes and get replaced by a new authors work afterwards.

Hinamatsuri is maybe the longest thing they've had running?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Shorter series are good.

Not everything needs thirty volumes to shine.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's also mostly Seinen stuff.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I am perfectly fine with hinamatsuri having a very long run, though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

There's an awfully large D&D bestiary to eat through. I wouldn't mind it going for a long time so long as the author could find inventive ways of eating dungeon critters.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Fellis posted:

I have no clue where raws are compared to translations

Volume 2 just came out a few weeks(?) ago, so there is not a huge amount of material untranslated.

The author, Ryouko Kui, also tends to do short stuff (this is already by far her longest work), so I have trouble imaging it goes beyond maybe 4 volumes or so.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's such a fun concept though I could see someone really taking a shine to writing it.

Beholder noodle soup! Kobold Kebabs! Manticore Barbecue! There's got to be hundreds if not thousands of creatures that could be eaten. I know it doesn't necessarily have to go on forever, but it doesn't need to end soon either, nor does it need to end with the defeat of the dragon/rescue of the sister.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

I hope it does, since it looks neat but I probably won't read it until it's over.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like Maoyuu a whole lot but it's really hard to stay excited about it when the chapters get translated so slowly.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Sharkopath posted:

I didnt mean that it should become the next One Piece and push the 1000 chapter barrier. I jsut mean theyve encountered the dragon once already so its not like hes out of thier depth, it would make sense theyd get back to him pretty quickly after rezzing.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Captain Invictus posted:

There's an awfully large D&D bestiary to eat through. I wouldn't mind it going for a long time so long as the author could find inventive ways of eating dungeon critters.

There's always room for Gelatinous Cube.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

Jello-tinous Cube. Just add veggies!

Fake edit: I just recognized that ad phrase and realized that you were already making that joke...

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Paracelsus posted:

new thread title

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

New Dungeon Meshi!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Sekai Mao has gotten on the right bandwagon.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

I love the faces that elf makes.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

elfchick is top tier

halfling dude is a close second

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Here's something else from the Dungeon Meshi author.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Ryuu-no-Kawaii-Nanatsu-no-Ko

Yo, these are really good. They're self contained short stories, but they're really good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That dwarf guy in Dungeon Meshi is a sociopath and is going to turn on the party at some point in my opinion (at chapter 6 so far). He has dead, empty eyes.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

That dwarf guy in Dungeon Meshi is a sociopath and is going to turn on the party at some point in my opinion (at chapter 6 so far). He has dead, empty eyes.

Dwarf just likes to cook and literally farm dungeon monsters.

I am 100% more worried about Laius.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
What is left after you eat a dragon? Why you eat a dragon eater. Senshi is just playing the long con, gonna get them fat on dragon steaks and then eat them all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If senshi wanted to eat people there are fresh corpses available pretty much all the time in the dungeon.

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!

Dungeon Meshi Chapter 11

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Leper Residue posted:

What is left after you eat a dragon? Why you eat a dragon eater. Senshi is just playing the long con, gonna get them fat on dragon steaks and then eat them all.

Why would you stoop to eating common adventurer when Tiamat or [generic dragon god] is waiting for you on the next tier?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Leper Residue posted:

What is left after you eat a dragon?

May I recommend you the Manga "Toriko"?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New Dungeon Meshi!

I am absolutely amazed at the creativity every single chapter has, seriously. This was a brilliant idea for a chapter, and despite it being technically filler, it still was just as good as the rest of it!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Nah, that was serious backstory about the dungeon. Something is up with the dark elf dude!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah I realized that after a second read-through but didn't edit my post, if it's a history of the fallen city that'd be an interesting route to take, I assume once they rescue his sister.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I'm excited for seeing how this background gets fleshed out. Painting Diving also is cool as always.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
http://bato.to/read/_/347454/dungeon-meshi_v2_ch13_by_everydayheroes-scans/1

New Chapter
I like how Mimics are portrayed here. Pretty sensible representation of what's hanging out inside. The thing about coin bugs is cool, too.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

so cute :3:

There isn't a character I dislike in this manga but Chilchack is becoming my favorite. He's so grumpy :3:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

I like Maoyuu a whole lot but it's really hard to stay excited about it when the chapters get translated so slowly.

I first found out about the Maoyuu manga here, and something like three years later there's still two more volumes to be translated. Though I think part of that is due to the first group dying or dropping it and then subsequent drama between other translation groups.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also that it's a sometimes fairly wordy series

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I've started reading Dungeon Meshi and it's good.

A lot of people have already commented on its creative take on dungeon ecosystems and cooking, but I think the cast also has some great chemistry. They're always getting on each other's cases but you can tell they still care about one another as friends and fellow adventurers.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I like that this chapter mostly took a break from the cooking stuff. Sometimes, there needs to be variety or else it will just get repetitive and boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah. This one definitely was a good diversion from just focusing on cooking, and working in backstory (and a death montage, I love those!) and more ways the dungeon creatures work (treasure bugs being mimic parasites, eating the mimic's insides and leaving the chest-shell as a treasure bug hive to trick adventurers into helping them spread to new locations is downright inspired) as well as showing that they may bicker but they still care about each other. A fantastic chapter.