Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Echo/memory of that dark elf from the last chapter seemed significant, like a royal guardian. I think he'll show up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I figured he was actually the person who cursed the kingdom. The image of the ruler of the dungeon being a skeleton might not be accurate, as no one has ever seen it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Could be that too, yea. Maybe its not even an echo of a person and reliving the past through paintings is what this guy does for kicks.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Dungeon-Meshi/Vol-002-Ch-014--Kelpie?id=243493

I want to post the pics of Senshi but I also don't want to spoil his gloriousness.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
If it's the one I just got to I sat here and laughed at it for like 5 solid minutes.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
That was a good chapter.

Nice to have the roles reversed for once with Senshi in error while Marsilla was correct.

I also like how the group's making tangible progress through the dungeon. With this sort of setup it'd be easy to always just have them be "Somewhere" nebulously indeterminate, but instead we actually have some sense of how far they've gone and how far they've yet to go.

EDIT: If this cut-away from chapter two is to be trusted, we're about halfway through the story.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 6, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This is really pushing to be in my top 5 favorite manga ever. It's really just perfect, I can't think of anything to complain about. It's got consistency, great characters, great humor, good reasonable drama that doesn't overstay its welcome, fantastically creative details about dungeon life and ecosystems, plot twists like with this chapter, and plausible, delicious-looking, yet impossible monster food. It really is just a magnificent series.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

This chapter was amazing.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

There's also the crazy obvious parallel between what Senshi was doing and what Laius is currently doing with his sword. Still looking forward to seeing what happens with that thing.

Amazing face of the chapter:

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 6, 2015

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Leper Residue posted:

There's also the crazy obvious parallel between what Senshi was doing and what Laius is currently doing with his sword. Still looking forward to seeing what happens with that thing.

I like that Laius also tried to do the exact same thing with a Kelpie and had to be saved by his sister.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah. This one definitely was a good diversion from just focusing on cooking, and working in backstory (and a death montage, I love those!) and more ways the dungeon creatures work (treasure bugs being mimic parasites, eating the mimic's insides and leaving the chest-shell as a treasure bug hive to trick adventurers into helping them spread to new locations is downright inspired) as well as showing that they may bicker but they still care about each other. A fantastic chapter.

I can't remember if the chapter specified it, but was it a shell that the mimic grows or are mimics just like, a hermit crab style monster that move into existing chests and boxes and such?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't remember seeing it stated but they looked a lot like hermit crabs so that would make sense. I bet they move into bigger chests as they grow :3:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Marsilla is without a doubt the second best thing about this manga. The best best is obviously Fluffy-Senshi, of course. :kimchi:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
God drat what a good chapter of a good series. I didn't even know i wanted a chapter where they switched roles a bit till it was here

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Everything Burrito posted:

I don't remember seeing it stated but they looked a lot like hermit crabs so that would make sense. I bet they move into bigger chests as they grow :3:

Want to see that? Well you're in luck then!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So they're literally just hermit crabs, hah

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

It's better this way for Doodle Laius.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Mimics being weird hermit crabs felt a little mundane after all the effort the author went through to explain living armor, but it's still a pretty interesting take on the monster.

RIP Doodle Laius.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Best adaptation of The Thing yet. I'm loving Senshi with his eagle-stare and quick-draw cutlery.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Laius checking out the orc ladies :ughh:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

He just likes elf ears leave him alone

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

he's a giant goof, he's great

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

He's a homeboy.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cartoon laius is gonna spend eternity trapped on the painting. Horrifying.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Worse, he apparently seems to have some form of memory of his life before that point.

It's a surprisingly dark joke.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love how Laius is a gigantic goof and also pretty competent at the dungeon adventure thing. It's nice when he also has a chance to look cool and badass to contrast with the dorkiness.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
New Dungeon Meshi chapter.

L-Laius, no :ohdear:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Laius...what are you doing :ohdear:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Laius going down a dark path.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

ahaha, that look the mermaids give is priceless.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Leper Residue posted:

They just can't appreciate fine art.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

Nondevor posted:

They just can't appreciate fine art.

Or they don't want to end up in a cooking pot. :stare:

octobernight
Nov 25, 2004
High Priest of the Christian-Atheist Church
I love the little details in this comic, like how Laius can't recognize a human but instantly remembers the kolbold they passed last floor. He was probably wanted to eat him or something.

octobernight fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 14, 2015

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I hope that other party continues to get revived and dies to a set of monsters, only for those monsters to contribute to our regular guys' daily meals.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Leper Residue posted:

I like how Laius' solution to the mermaids was much safer than the other group, who plugged their ears but set themselves up for an ambush. He is such a goof but is really capable, also he may be a cannibal :(

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
This comic is gonna end with Laius eating his partymembers, isn't it? :ohdear:

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

This comic is gonna end with Laius eating his partymembers, isn't it? :ohdear:

Nah, it'll end with a spoonful of dirt. Then another. And another...

Epilogue will have Laius swimming through space towards the sun, with a fork in hand.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AgentHaiTo posted:

I like how Laius' solution to the mermaids was much safer than the other group, who plugged their ears but set themselves up for an ambush. He is such a goof but is really capable, also he may be a cannibal :(

I wish the halfling guy had just explained his reasoning to Laius. I mean, it showed him thinking about how the merpeople are clearly capable of making weapon and have an opposable thumb and stuff, so he had a direct argument to Laius's hosed up "aren't they really just like cattle when you think about it?!" point.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

AfroSquirrel posted:

Nah, it'll end with a spoonful of dirt. Then another. And another...

Epilogue will have Laius swimming through space towards the sun, with a fork in hand.

Who would have thought it was a Toriko side story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Toaru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudouki
Typical company employee Tanaka Daichi (38 years old, single) loves games and plays a new type of VRMMO called "One More Free Life Online" under the username "Earth". Inside this free world he chose several skills that are generally regarded as useless. Be it wasting time crafting potions, cooking up pointlessly tasty food, or hunting monsters with some absurd weapon he crafted, he simply enjoys playing the game.

I was curious if this was going to be cute or just really dull, turns out it's a cute one :3: