Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Napolitan's fine, not italian, but it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Compendium posted:

Napolitan's fine, not italian, but it's fine.

ketchup sauce

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I've actually made it and ate it before and you don't use a lot of ketchup and the Parmesan goes well with it. The mushrooms and green bellpeppers add a unique aroma that balances out ketchup's weird sweetness.

Honestly, if you hate ketchup, bellpeppers, and mushrooms, in the first place, you're not gonna like it to begin with.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
or you could use tomatoes or tomato sauce of any kind and make a better dish. saying it is edible when you do everything possible to mask the main ingredient is not a very good endorsement.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I never said it masks it. I said it balances it out. It wouldn't be Napolitan if it didn't have some ketchup, it really is its own taste.

That said, the critic going bananas over it in Izakaya Nobu and having a Ratatouille style flashback was a bit much, I'll give you that.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

japanese ketchup doesn't taste the same as american ketchup (its still not good)

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I can't believe I'm defending the honor of a pasta dish

Davincie posted:

japanese ketchup doesn't taste the same as american ketchup (its still not good)

Have you actually tried it before, curious. (Both JP ketchup and Napolitan)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yeah. i didn't like it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
american ketchup, but same.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

DrSunshine posted:

I'm still waiting on someone to write up an adventure module for this so I can do it with my D&D group!
Just run a campaign where you enforce realism (PCs need to eat and sleep; objects have weight, PCs have a carrying capacity based off their strength), and use Medicine and Survival checks for identifying ingredients and cooking, respectively. Even if your PCs have enough cash to buy rations in town, X days on the road will leave their provisions short, and they'll start hunting things to eat.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was so bad that it turned me off ketchup entirely

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Fair enough.

I need to read Dungeon Meshi from the beginning, I keep on just reading whatever updated chapters there are, but I do like it a lot especially all the meals made out of monsters.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
What kind of loon puts ketchup on pasta.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What kind of nutter puts mayo on pizza

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

e: oh yeah, I didn't see it mentioned but I was reading Konjiki no Word Master - Yuusha Yonin ni Makikomareta Unique Cheat up until this latest chapter but I'm done. It wasn't really my thing to start with and I mostly kept reading it because I'd followed it and couldn't be assed to delete it off my list, but it might be something one of y'all would like more than I did.

Read about 10 chapters and don't feel like going any further than that. Not even Shield Hero had a protagonist as abrasive as this guyo and he arguably had more reasons to be that way. That guy is pure edge and angst and not even in highschool would that have been interesting enough to carry what's become the glut of "sent to fantasy land" cliche stories. Everyone is more interesting than him, there are at least three more interesting premises that are wasted because Hiiro just wants to be a cardboard cutout.

So yeah it's bad.

Gale Raziya
Jun 18, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

What kind of nutter puts mayo on pizza
A fat man with a Poirot mustache:
"Bwa -- what is this? I've had pizza margherita, but this ... these ribbons of unctuous mayonnaise and jewels of sweet corn. This taste! It is transcendent!"

Izakaya chef:
*nods knowingly*

Gale Raziya
Jun 18, 2014

Don't read Izakaya Nobu.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is that a thing that happens?

lol

Gale Raziya
Jun 18, 2014

No, but I will not be surprised when it happens in a later chapter.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Brought To You By posted:

Read about 10 chapters and don't feel like going any further than that. Not even Shield Hero had a protagonist as abrasive as this guyo and he arguably had more reasons to be that way. That guy is pure edge and angst and not even in highschool would that have been interesting enough to carry what's become the glut of "sent to fantasy land" cliche stories. Everyone is more interesting than him, there are at least three more interesting premises that are wasted because Hiiro just wants to be a cardboard cutout.

So yeah it's bad.

"MC that is an abrasive rear end in a top hat for no reason, yet for someone reason girls cling to him" seems to be a new-ish sub-genre. Obviously the "Girls cling to MC" part isn't new, but in the past the MC was at least someone your average socially awkward teen/young adult could relate to, rather than some pointlessly misanthropic rear end in a top hat.

Of course, the really cynical/depressing interpretation of this is that there's a huge number of Japanese manga consumers who actually identify with that type of MC.

Compendium posted:

Japanese people really like food and really love their own food and I can't find that kind of niche (or I'm not looking hard enough) where fictional people really loving love their booze and chow in Western media outside of certain movies or just straight up cooking shows from Youtube and television.

The most similar thing I can think of in American culture is the way people talk about Southern food (in the South, at least). It seems just generally accepted that the food is the Best Thing Ever and people like to talk about how great they think it is. There's also the same "my culture is the best"undercurrent that I sense in Japanese food/cooking manga.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Ytlaya posted:

The most similar thing I can think of in American culture is the way people talk about Southern food (in the South, at least). It seems just generally accepted that the food is the Best Thing Ever and people like to talk about how great they think it is. There's also the same "my culture is the best"undercurrent that I sense in Japanese food/cooking manga.

I guess it's got even more of that undercurrent w/ generic fantasy people going crazy over Japanese food (kind of how you get that undercurrent of how great Japan is from Thermae Romae, that series where that Roman dude gets his ideas for a bathhouse from visiting modern Japan). Personally, I'd say it's unintentional or at the very least not actively malicious, but it's there regardless since I can imagine the writers behind the stories wouldn't bother researching foods that are from other parts of the world unless it's specifically about different cuisines. That said, it's still kind of a fun thing to read about for myself because they're just framing the perspective of their staples in another way to magnify how great it is

Just never found a problem with it because it's written for a Japanese audience in mind where they'd go, "Hell yeah fried chicken and beer is good, I want some now," while other people would go, "it's not THAT great." So at worst, eye rolling.

Brought To You By posted:

So yeah it's bad.

Agreed. I went to look at the translated novel chapters and 100+ chapters in the MC doesn't really change from being an rear end in a top hat going, "I'm right, everyone else is stupid and dumb and never thinks while I clearly think ahead and poo poo. I am the poo poo."

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you guys should watch some k-dramas. most of them have a scene an episode that is just the cast going insane over whatever local korean dish they're eating

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Compendium posted:

I guess it's got even more of that undercurrent w/ generic fantasy people going crazy over Japanese food (kind of how you get that undercurrent of how great Japan is from Thermae Romae, that series where that Roman dude gets his ideas for a bathhouse from visiting modern Japan). Personally, I'd say it's unintentional or at the very least not actively malicious, but it's there regardless since I can imagine the writers behind the stories wouldn't bother researching foods that are from other parts of the world unless it's specifically about different cuisines. That said, it's still kind of a fun thing to read about for myself because they're just framing the perspective of their staples in another way to magnify how great it is

Just never found a problem with it because it's written for a Japanese audience in mind where they'd go, "Hell yeah fried chicken and beer is good, I want some now," while other people would go, "it's not THAT great." So at worst, eye rolling.

Ketchup Ninja is the story of a teenage Ninja who is forced to immigrate to New Jeresey after Japan bans Ninja. She eats too much American junk food and eventually becomes too fat to use her Ninjutsu properly.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Wait, you guys don't have mini-orgasms when you have karaage and beer?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Avulsion posted:

Ketchup Ninja is the story of a teenage Ninja who is forced to immigrate to New Jeresey after Japan bans Ninja. She eats too much American junk food and eventually becomes too fat to use her Ninjutsu properly.

I read that, I liked it.

VVV

Pshuuuuuu!!

Compendium fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 16, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
as with most things, wakako-zake gets it right. she enjoys her pub food without having weird food orgasms.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Compendium posted:

I read that, I liked it.

It had a whole thread at the time, too. It's pretty great, I think the author had spent some time in America as an exchange student or something and was writing it partially for the benefit of other would-be Japanese exchange students or people learning English. The guy really understood what high school in America is like!

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Compendium posted:

I read that, I liked it.

I am currently reading it, I also like it. It's got a punk sort of vibe. Feels like a Studio Trigger anime or something.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The ending is a wet fart but otherwise ketchup ninja owns

Gale Raziya
Jun 18, 2014

Serious Frolicking posted:

as with most things, wakako-zake gets it right. she enjoys her pub food without having weird food orgasms.
I like this food lady and her round head. Is there a food manga thread?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Gale Raziya posted:

I like this food lady and her round head. Is there a food manga thread?

I've been thinking about making one so it can be in one place and people have a place to talk about food mangas since not all of them are plot driven like Shokugeki no Soma.

Yeah, I'll make one, why not.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ytlaya posted:

"MC that is an abrasive rear end in a top hat for no reason, yet for someone reason girls cling to him" seems to be a new-ish sub-genre. Obviously the "Girls cling to MC" part isn't new, but in the past the MC was at least someone your average socially awkward teen/young adult could relate to, rather than some pointlessly misanthropic rear end in a top hat.

Of course, the really cynical/depressing interpretation of this is that there's a huge number of Japanese manga consumers who actually identify with that type of MC.

that sounds like most otome games tbh

e: in the words of my girlfriend, "if I can't date a girl I'm gonna date the guy who is probably going to murder me"

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Let's be honest here. Korean food is a lot better than Japanese food.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I would describe my experiences with Japanese food as "consistently disappointing"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I really like Japanese food, and all other foods

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

AnonSpore posted:

I really like Japanese food, and all other foods

After british food, there's no way to go but up.

The real reason the British Empire existed: to steal all the good food.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Toaru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudouki owned super hard and now I'm jonesing for more MMO/normal person in fantasy land mangas. I've already found The Gamer and Dungeon Meshi and that's about it so far.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
New Dungeon Meshi

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Dungeon-Meshi/Ch-025--Red-Dragon-III?id=276594

It seems like everything is coming to a close, and it's awesome.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Holy loving poo poo they actually loving did it :stare: :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
That got loving dire, goddamn.