Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
:homebrew: Oh sweet looks like a company is selling a finished produc... :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I've been working on an authoritative combat system like Chivalry/Mount&Blade and it's already difficult enough when it's one of the only mechanics in the game on a server made for 64 players. I can't imagine having to do this on a massively multiplayer scale in addition to everything else running over the network.

I prefer mostly non authoritative with periodic data checking and minimal necessary RPC. Gotta be good about the checking code though.

Many argue about authoritative vs non, but also what really helps servers soar is efficient caching layers (depending on data priority ofc) and efficient calculations. Also in this day and age of 2016 its a pretty good idea to offload most non-critical systems like item management, skill tree storage etc to not the movement/collision server.

• Locked thread