Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

BadLlama posted:

Can someone just take Chivalry and slap it into a huge map with cities and poo poo already.

I really didn't like Chiv's combat. War of the Roses was a lot better melee engine, it was like Warband Advanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The only reason WotR tanked so bad was because Chiv released at the same time and catered to the absolute lowest common denominator. The combat in WotR was loving great, the sheer amount of options in customizing weaponry and armor, etc.

The only thing they kept continuing loving up was balance, but nothing is perfect. I wish they opened the game up to modding after they abandoned the entire franchise.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

War of the Roses was loving terrible. The same way M&B MP is actually awful. Cavalry. Also the armor glance or whatever they called it system was garbage.

You sound like you got murdered a lot in WotR and then rage quit. :smug:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zaodai posted:

It's actually a compliment, Orv plays many bad games that he hates.

Yeah, I've noticed orv has a lovely opinion in half the game threads I've bookmarked, but always entertaining to read. The glancing armor poo poo sounds more like you were trying to be a 1337 no scope archer and kept picking the wrong arrow heads.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

No, I'd hit someone in the face or chest with a sword and the little icon would pop up and invalidate what I'd done. It's a bad system.

I mean, if you're straight on hitting armor with a sword, which they kinda did model in, it's not gonna do poo poo. I always rolled with a battle axe and had no problem using the pick end for pierce damage on armor, or using the blade and aiming at necks.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

That's not fun though? At least personally, I never put in the hundreds of hours that the big M&B MP/WotR people so I was just barely able to compete with the super nerds and that may have dragged that down for me. If Chivalry is the lowest common denominator then god bless lowest common denominators for not making you waste twenty hours before you can have fun. Of course Chivalry has its own melee abuses that have basically killed it as well so maybe there's a different lesson at play there.

I found it perfectly fun. They went the realism route without trying to make it Arma levels of stupid. It remained a niche game and who knows what would have turned out if Chiv didn't release at the same time, but I and others found it perfectly fun. You didn't have to put in 20 hours to do well, you just had to know the strengths and weaknesses of what you were fighting. Full plate opponent? Crossbows and long bows with correct heads, spears, pick ends of axes, polearms, etc all did well. You could even do well with a basic sword if you kept to thrusts and not slashes, or aimed for openings in the joints. It was :spergin: and that's kinda what I personally enjoy. I'm sorry you didn't though, it was a great game before Paradox murdered it.

Skoll fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 14, 2016

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I used to make so many people cry when I used spear cav, it was nuts. I was just good enough to fend off three people at once too when I'd eventually get de-horsed. Battle Axe + steel shield and it's pretty much block and swipe.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Decided Of Kings and Men looks way better than GV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Whats Mount and Blade? Mountain Blade sounds like it would be a better name.

• Locked thread