Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
This is what tardies don't understand. Your network architecture either scales, or it does not. If your combat is laggy as gently caress in alpha it's going to be laggy as gently caress in beta and it will be laggy as gently caress on release. The only way to fix it is to rewrite it all, and the longer you keep on developing your game before you do that, the longer it's going to take. There's a reason why after release the MO guys had like 0 content updates for a year and half while they rewrote all of their server-side code so the game would be barely loving playable. The only exception to this, is if you have a properly distributed architecture on AWS or some poo poo, and can afford to throw more nodes at it (pro-tip: they can't).

Seriously, if you see something like this and your first reaction isn't "call me back when your servers don't poo poo the bed after the first dozen players" you have loving learning disability. Any retard can make a multi-player game, maybe less than 1% of the people in the industry have the skills/experience to make it massive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Hmmm... The salty tears of nerds who bought into another early access sandbox real-time MMO and are suddenly shocked that the game is laggy as gently caress and always will be.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Alexander DeLarge posted:

It's another "wait until no wipe Steam release" like Shards.

You're implying this will ever get far enough into development to warrant a wipe.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

smuganime.jpeg

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Ahdinko posted:

Really? I thought it has definitely improved a bunch from last time I played which was probably a year ago. Obviously with 5 guys developing it or whatever its never going to be the next AAA MMO but alot of the jankyness was gone for me even though the servers were getting hammered.
I got in a PVP fight with a dude who went outlaw or something and it was pretty smooth, no rubberbanding or weird hit detection problems. I rubberbanded a couple times when running around the world when I played, but over 2 hours thats no biggie. The crafting seemed pretty good although seems to benefit groups where you can feed all your resources into a few guys so they can get high levels for better weapons & procs. The Steam version was about 20x faster at downloading the game than the old launcher which is cool.

My main gripes from playing today were that the NPC AI sucks and the combat animations are awful and have almost no feedback so it doesn't really feel like you're hitting stuff, but hey its an Early Access game and they've explicitly said those are both areas they are going to work on so maybe it'll get better on that front.

Overall its a hell of alot better than half the Early Access games I've currently got and it was only $10 when I bought it.

How many people on that server?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Daily forecast:
Mostly Positive with 440 reviews

How many of them are Astroturfing?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

BadLlama posted:

Can someone just take Chivalry and slap it into a huge map with cities and poo poo already.

Can someone just program a next generation networking architecture that can support massive amounts of data being sent and received from thousands of clients concurrently at minimal latency already while being able to compensate for both Brazil-tier and Korean-tier internet connection.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

BadLlama posted:

Well, this is why those people will get money when they do it? Also planetside 2 has existed for awhile now so....

Yeah, you should go do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Skoll posted:

Decided Of Kings and Men looks way better than GV.

... Have you heard of Mount and Blade?

• Locked thread