Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
As much as I've enjoyed the show and its dynamics, I really hope they shake it up for the final season. Teflandre from last season was great, until the reveal kinda broke it, but more stuff like that. Let the characters out of the rigid roles they've been locked into for so long.

That said, good episode. Hopefully we're out of the S5 slump and sticking with the S6/early season quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Yeah, overall pretty weak, but Ruxin's rant got a laugh out of me. The show is always so formulaic, so it comes down to execution and this one was pretty lacking.

They could shake it up and have Kevin recount his time in the World Trade Center.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
That was a 50/50 episode. Ellie beating down Andre, the teacher's frank discussion of her personality, and the pop up book were top notch. I'll even accept Brian going on and on about the various styles of chodes Pete juggles.

The rest? Eh.

Taco has suffered the worst since the show's get go. He's got the most Joeyficiation going on here - as time goes on people come to expect the characters to act in certain ways so the writers take one attribute and ramp it up to 11, then 15. Characters like Joey on Friends get stupider, and Taco's the worst offender for this in recent history. Early Taco was funny oblivious and callous, but even discounting the EBDB stuff he's just not working.

Though, I guess to counter point that, I got a chuckle out of his self-drawn masturbatory aids, so there's some golden lining in there.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Hated everything with Andre, didn't care for Kevin's sex stuff, but anything with the courtroom was golden. Ruxin's evasions and argument with Kevin was amazing. Bonus points for yelling "GATTACA!" as he was dragged out.

Pete's coin thing is probably going to follow through the rest of the series. Oddly, I'm kinda interested in where it goes.

Now, where the hell is Rafi?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I won't say it redeems the season, but it was clearly the best thing in S7 and probably is the highest note they'll go out on. As soon as Ruxin was playing up the sympathy I figured she was really dead, because it seemed pretty standard for the show to go there. The one thing I have to give them credit for is never completely overusing Rafi or Dirty Randy. Other shows might have tried to cling to that life raft, but the small tastes are perfect.

There's, what, two more episodes?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

buddhanc posted:

Alright episode but Pete was an actor advertiser the whole time. Seems like the future of TV, one actor and all his lines will pertain to a product and relate to the story tangentially.

Yeah, but at least everyone else in the group hated on Pete's poo poo instead of a chorus full of agreements. The League might have taken ad money but they're not quite embracing it.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I can't believe I'm defending the show, but Devil's Advocate - Taco is universally seen as an idiot and a purveyor of bad ideas. Agreeing with Taco is not something to aspire to. Everyone else shat on Pete and they went out of their way to make Pete's declarations of it all annoying as hell. It feels like they agreed to take the money and advertise for the company, but in a pretty tongue in cheek way. It reminds me of Frisky Dingo being told to put an ad for the Scion tC on the show and just saying "gently caress, whatever" and running it into the ground.

That all said, even if the showrunners did take the money and try to put as lovely a spin on it as possible as a middle finger to ad companies it's way too in the face and grating to ever be anything but fingernails on chalkboard. Nothing good can ever, ever come of this sort of advertising and the fact that it's the new standard is depressing.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Pretty good episode, but the final scene was the best part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
There are some legit good episodes in 5,6, and 7. It's just that by and large the rest of the episodes are either uninspired or straight up bad and not worth slogging through for the gems.

Rafi and Dirty Randy is from S5, plus I enjoyed Baby Geoffrey Jesus and really loved the final scene of S5 with The 8 Defensive Points of Hanukkah for peak Ruxin.

S6 had Sitting Shiva which was decent. When Rafi Met Randy if Rafi is your thing, which I loved. I enjoyed Man Land, but probably mostly for Rafi. There's a few other episodes in there that are merely "good" by later season standards but fall below the early seasons bar.

• Locked thread