Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yoshi's Island and Mario 2 modes.

Also placeable water and Mario 3 sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I thought I read them saying they were considering adding a totally original theme in the first game so I wouldn't be surprised to see it show up in the sequel.

I mostly just want slopes, snow and desert themes, more enemies, more music tracks and a way to curate levels into a playlist. Ideally I'd love every element from the first 4 themes. Especially Super Mario World. The hacking community for that has been doing amazing stuff for like 15 years.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 18, 2017

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

if you actually go back and play the original games, there's still a TON of stuff that could be added.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I really want a world maker function and the ability to view other people's replays of my levels in a sequel.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

Nate RFB posted:

The part immediately after the first door (where you have to bounce across the two red spiny shells that are going back and forth across the chompers) was too much for me :( A friend and I spent the better part of an hour on that level and got past that part exactly once. I really think you need to bring the pipe/blocks at the end up one grid point to make the jump easier off of the final red spiny because it seems to require an extremely pixel perfect timed jump to get through that involves specific timing with letting go of B and Y at various points.

It was the part right after the first checkpoint, with the floating question blocks and the keys, that I found most frustrating.

It's fun to be the first one to beat a difficult level once in a while!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Sam Faust posted:

I really want a world maker function and the ability to view other people's replays of my levels in a sequel.

Saving video files sounds like a lot of server space.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Crocoswine posted:

if you actually go back and play the original games, there's still a TON of stuff that could be added.

Yeah it is kind of mind-boggling how much stuff was left out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Red posted:

Saving video files sounds like a lot of server space.

Replays don't need to be video files. Do it like Smash Bros. (and like every emulator ever) does; save the random seed (if there even is one for Mario Maker), save a string of button inputs, and render the replay in-engine.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Cool video teaching how to implement a bunch of funny glitches along with the risks in doing so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6ZBdaZ4YTI

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hey folks, finally finished a level for the first time in forever, pretty happy with the results. I aimed the difficulty for around a SPECIAL zone level from SMW, there's multiple interlocking paths through the level and five red coins hidden through the first area which unlock a bonus route in the second area. Any feedback would of course be appreciated!

Pretty Cool

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I gave you a star for the effort, but I'll have to give it another go later because that section towards the end with the 4 skewers was real rough. I got to the upper right hand one once after a long while and I could see the pipe, but couldn't pull off the jump and it just broke my heart.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

deadwing posted:

Where else can they go for the sequel really

E: Except making dope Sunshine backpack less levels

Give me the ability to make a proper auto-scroller, ala Mario Run

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I gave you a star for the effort, but I'll have to give it another go later because that section towards the end with the 4 skewers was real rough. I got to the upper right hand one once after a long while and I could see the pipe, but couldn't pull off the jump and it just broke my heart.

If you take another pop at it there is something hidden close by to help with the skewer jump section

Try looking in the alcove immediately after the fourth red coin

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

SkyWorld is just above our heads

SMB3 inspired level, I've tried to make the hazards less unrelentingly brutal than my last level and give the level more 'flow'

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
Here are the other two! Help a guy get to 3000 stars so he can dump even more levels on you.

You Vs. Boo, Redux VII
I'm, uh, glad I remembered I could make the airship theme work. I was seriously considering dumping an underwater stage on you people. Maybe I still will!

You Vs. Boo, Redux VIII
If I didn't finish with a Bowser castle, I wouldn't be happy with myself.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Hi! I made some levels and forgot to post them. Now seems like a good time since I'm trying to get into playing other levels posted here I've overlooked.

Super Aggro Crag

The third in my Nickelodeon Game Show levels (I was gonna do Nick Arcade, but there's already a perfect one out there), this one has you making your way up a mountain, avoiding obstacles and hitting actuators (red coins) along the way. You can't miss even one red coin so make sure you grab them all to get a piece of the GLOWING GREEN ROCK! Moe...

You're The Man Now, Undodog

You play as Undodog and enter pipes to make insurmountable obstacles into far more... uh, surmountable ones. This level has a hidden power up which you need to use to get two hidden keys for a seeeeecret ending. This level is also kinda tricky. Unlike the GUTS level, try not to rush through this one or you're liable to hit an enemy!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

multijoe posted:

SkyWorld is just above our heads

SMB3 inspired level, I've tried to make the hazards less unrelentingly brutal than my last level and give the level more 'flow'
This I was able to finish and it was p. cool. It took a very specific run where I was finally able to get under the two hammer bros with a mushroom so I could get the fireflower. Otherwise the piranha plant/muncher gauntlets was a bit much for me. Almost might've been easier to start completely over so I could get the leaf at the checkpoint.

Gnome Enthusiast posted:

Here are the other two! Help a guy get to 3000 stars so he can dump even more levels on you.

You Vs. Boo, Redux VII
I'm, uh, glad I remembered I could make the airship theme work. I was seriously considering dumping an underwater stage on you people. Maybe I still will!

You Vs. Boo, Redux VIII
If I didn't finish with a Bowser castle, I wouldn't be happy with myself.
I really liked these and the other recent ones in that series you made. They do a very good job of forcing you to learn how to thread the needle on certain jumps to shave off every split second. The second buzzsaw in VII requires some VERY finicky jumping I will say though; if you hit the roof you're done; even just one block removed there would make it a lot more maneagable.

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.

Nate RFB posted:

I really liked these and the other recent ones in that series you made. They do a very good job of forcing you to learn how to thread the needle on certain jumps to shave off every split second. The second buzzsaw in VII requires some VERY finicky jumping I will say though; if you hit the roof you're done; even just one block removed there would make it a lot more maneagable.

I'll say this in my defense: trying to balance these was hair-raising, you can't tell how people are going to use these things until they actually play them and that goes double for these specific stages. Glad you liked it though.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Navigate a strange and unexpected haunted house owned by a fiery specter in:

Burnie Boo's Experimental Estate

6F1E-0000-0305-5EB7

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

I might be totally blind but how do I place a mystery mushroom in course maker? I don't have it as an option in any of my 5 rows of items.

johnny sack fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 24, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

johnny sack posted:

I might be totally blind but how do I place a mystery mushroom in course maker? I don't have it as an option in any of my 5 rows of items.

Are you playing the 3DS version? It's only in the NES theme on the Wii U version.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

SeANMcBAY posted:

Are you playing the 3DS version? It's only in the NES theme on the Wii U version.

Oh... Haha. Thank you.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Finished all of Dustin's SMV levels and man that is such a joyous set of levels. Late, but great job.

Little Mac posted:

Hi! I made some levels and forgot to post them. Now seems like a good time since I'm trying to get into playing other levels posted here I've overlooked.

Super Aggro Crag

The third in my Nickelodeon Game Show levels (I was gonna do Nick Arcade, but there's already a perfect one out there), this one has you making your way up a mountain, avoiding obstacles and hitting actuators (red coins) along the way. You can't miss even one red coin so make sure you grab them all to get a piece of the GLOWING GREEN ROCK! Moe...

You're The Man Now, Undodog

You play as Undodog and enter pipes to make insurmountable obstacles into far more... uh, surmountable ones. This level has a hidden power up which you need to use to get two hidden keys for a seeeeecret ending. This level is also kinda tricky. Unlike the GUTS level, try not to rush through this one or you're liable to hit an enemy!
Maaaaan the fourth or so red coin with the waterfall of chomps was kind of a bit :stare: Maybe I just got too shellshocked by it but I could not see how to survive. I did beat the other one though, admittedly only because I was lucky enough to find Kuribo's Shoe.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Navigate a strange and unexpected haunted house owned by a fiery specter in:

Burnie Boo's Experimental Estate

6F1E-0000-0305-5EB7
I kind of got the impression that there might be alternate routes in this one, which if so kudos, but I wound up finishing it before I could really explore. Still very cool.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
Thread dead, so what.

Sonic, I made you loops! ♥Bowser
9B55-0000-0317-5BD5

Finally had some inspiration after playing too many Green Hill Zone remakes with nonfunctional loops. Yeah, true loop de loops are still impossible but you can send "Sonic" on a circular path while the player is merely running right. Of course, since there are no slopes or upside down frames it looks increasingly ridiculous on larger loops, but small ones are almost passable.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I love that art!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Better than most Sonic games I've played in a while.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hi everyone! I have been playing some old mario games lately and got an itch to make some levels myself after a long hiatus. Here's what I've come up with!

Magikoopa's Magma Marathon
By LOCUST FART HELL
3FB8-0000-032C-49F4

This one is difficult and built around the magikoopa's ability to transform blocks.

Flowerpot Furlong
By LOCUST FART HELL
776E-0000-032C-8FB4

This one is fairly easy and was just an attempt at making a classic course design.

A Great Big Bee! fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 8, 2017

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
I liked the Magikoopa one.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Hi everyone! I have been playing some old mario games lately and got an itch to make some levels myself after a long hiatus. Here's what I've come up with!

Magikoopa's Magma Marathon
By LOCUST FART HELL
3FB8-0000-032C-49F4

This one is difficult and built around the magikoopa's ability to transform blocks.

Flowerpot Furlong
By LOCUST FART HELL
776E-0000-032C-8FB4

This one is fairly easy and was just an attempt at making a classic course design.
Don't forget you can post levels via https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/ , which I find a lot more convenient since if you're like me and browse the forums a lot while away from my Wii U I can bookmark them as people add them to play them later.

Anyway, I'm not one normally for taking away checkpoints because in the end I'd like to beat a hard level rather than throw myself at it in frustration forever, but I think the Magikoopa level might actually be better without it. Since it's so short once you get to the checkpoint it's kind of over, difficulty-wise.

Not sure what to think of Flowerpot Furlong, good or bad. I blinked and it was over! Kind of looked like from the preview image that there might've been an alternate route though that I did not find.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Picked up a used Wii U the other day and have been making a few courses.

Here's my latest one:

:frogout:
: frogout :
E5C1-0000-0331-2DD1

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The big Bowser fight in Tora Tora Turtle could use a little work, it's just way too tedious if you don't have a fire flower (and that's assuming you go the whole run without getting hit).

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
New level, Chicanery Challenge: Slip or Skip

F7DE-0000-0333-B09F

The ultimate un-fun icy death hell level

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I decided to download it once I finally got past the first Bowser, because that in of itself took a herculean amount of effort and I had to know how close I was. And then, uh, yeah.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nate RFB posted:

I decided to download it once I finally got past the first Bowser, because that in of itself took a herculean amount of effort and I had to know how close I was. And then, uh, yeah.

I'm gonna add a mid point as soon as I can figure out why my wii-u won't download the midpoint update. Also, adding some stuff in the alt route to make it more difficult

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Slightly improved version of above level with regular route slightly easier and alternate route clearly marked + slightly harder. Still can't figure out how to get a midway point in a meaningful spot with the level gimmick.

08E8-0000-0333-F1A7

Don't know when i'll update it again, it takes many many tries to upload every time.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 29, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Level does not appear to exist: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/08E8-0000-03333-F1A7

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Oh, I put one too many 3s.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
I got past the first big thwomp once in like 100 tries.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I found the most reliable method for the first couple of sections to be to that while running get a feel for when/where you can simply let off of the d-pad and slide over to the desired spots. For the first big thwomp for example, I'd run over until I passed two ice blocks after the first vertical wall, slide all the way over, maybe threading it a bit by tapping left once or twice. It's the threading you need to master because the level (at least the old one, I haven't touched the new one yet) requires you to be perfectly positioned at a single square for transitions like the P-switch.

Doesn't help with any RNG BS with the Hammer Bros., though.

E: Oh now I see what you mean by first thwomp. Uh, yeah I'm not sure that was a change that was needed given the difficulty of the rest.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nate RFB posted:

E: Oh now I see what you mean by first thwomp. Uh, yeah I'm not sure that was a change that was needed given the difficulty of the rest.

That was there originally, I think I accidentally deleted it when uploading the first time D:

• Locked thread