Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm excited to go from 'I have no clue how to make a Mario level' to 'I made a pretty neat level' and see other things fans of the game have done.

This is probably the coolest thing Nintendo has done in ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Republicans posted:

If you shake it you get a version that doesn't go away if you drop the key. :unsmigghh:

This is how the custom Phanto sprite works in SMW hacks and it's awful.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Less than four hours 'till the day we'll Never Forget! :supaburn:

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
I'm so freaking excited for this game, I feel like a kid again

Back when I was like four or five my Dad and I used to play SMB1 on the old Nintendo all the time, it brings back fond memories. We also played the Ninja Turtles game and I'd always steal the healing pizzas from my Dad, he was pissed lol

Anywho, I preordered this game, so I'll be picking that up along with that sweet, sweet poster. I hope to also find one of those Classic Mario amiibos too, but we'll see.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
My mom used to watch me play Mario and it was always one of those 'my kid is super into this but I literally cannot care less about this tiny Italian man fighting turtles, but I'm gonna humor him because he likes it' things, but it honestly meant a lot at the time and probably was why I kept liking stuff like video games and all.

My cousin would play it with me and it was a really fun thing and he'd show me secret poo poo that I didn't know and blow my mind. Metal Gear and Monster Hunter and Pokemon and all will always be my super favorite video game series but Mario was probably what got me into gaming at all like a lot of gamers. I'm genuinely and unironically excited to make more Mario levels and get back some of that wonder and all that sappy poo poo.

Mario: probably a p. good thing.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I'm so freaking excited for this game, I feel like a kid again

Back when I was like four or five my Dad and I used to play SMB1 on the old Nintendo all the time, it brings back fond memories. We also played the Ninja Turtles game and I'd always steal the healing pizzas from my Dad, he was pissed lol

Anywho, I preordered this game, so I'll be picking that up along with that sweet, sweet poster. I hope to also find one of those Classic Mario amiibos too, but we'll see.

My dad woke me and my sister up in the middle of the night to show us the end of Mario1 the first time he beat it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kly posted:

My dad woke me and my sister up in the middle of the night to show us the end of Mario1 the first time he beat it.

cool dad

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I used to play SMB1 with my cousins on our uncle's NES, we spent weeks on it and finally reached 2-2 and it blew our loving minds that there was a whole UNDERWATER level!!

Then in Xmas 92 or 93 our Nana bought us two SNESes bundled with Mario All-Stars (one for me & my brother, one for our cousins) and it was the best goddamn present ever :h:

Then I tried to convince my brother to buy SMW with his birthday money the next year but he chose Donkey Kong Country instead. And that was not a bad thing.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

The game won't update for me, so I've been stuck with two basic toolsets. (I changed the date to unlock the second set).
Is there a way to force an update besides restarting the game, which hasn't worked yet.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Republicans posted:

If you shake it you get a version that doesn't go away if you drop the key. :unsmigghh:

If you shake it you get the Angry Sun.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i've made four levels so far, each time suddenly realising the mistakes i made with the old ones. this is a really good game for teaching you level design. i've also found myself deliberately reining in what stuff i use, partly because i'm making my levels on the easy side with the intent that they're fun, partly because the game limits you anyway, but also because after playing levels online, it becomes painfully clear that stuffing your levels to the brim with stuff is not enjoyable to play

A Great Big Bee! fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 11, 2015

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

Also how has nobody posted the Miyamoto Myths video yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu2DnTd3dEo

:allears:

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Wee Bairns posted:

The game won't update for me, so I've been stuck with two basic toolsets. (I changed the date to unlock the second set).
Is there a way to force an update besides restarting the game, which hasn't worked yet.

I heard a rumor that Nintendo set it up so that an attempt to game the system resulted in slower unlocks. Like tripping in Smash, basically.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Peztopiary posted:

I heard a rumor that Nintendo set it up so that an attempt to game the system resulted in slower unlocks. Like tripping in Smash, basically.

What about tripping in Smash?

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Lizard Wizard posted:

What about tripping in Smash?

Sakurai added tripping in Smash to keep the game from becoming Pro-League hyper competitive by adding an element of random "gently caress you"

so basically Nintendo putting in roadblocks for people going too fast :confused:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Thought all the kids were from the peach rape

Yeah had this come out when I was 8, you couldn't force me to school at gunpoint

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Mama Miyamoto :3:

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
When I was REAL little, like two or three, it was the 1980s and Mario was brand new.

Unbelievably, video games were viewed much differently back then. There was none of this "video games as art" argument, video games were toys. Back then, there was more of an idea of boy toys and girl toys, and Mario was very specifically for boys. (Nowadays, we know that gamers are primarily women, of course.)

My neighbor, a boy a few years older than me, one day got an NES. My mother and I were over one day while he was playing Mario. It was the first time I ever saw a Mario game, or maybe even a video game outside of arcade demos, and holy hell do I remember it clearly. His mother explained it to us super poorly (when you get a mushroom, you label up!). I wanted to play, but I don't think I was allowed to for whatever reason. The kid was kind of a bastard, he might not have wanted me to have a turn. Or, maybe I was so little that they thought I'd break it.

I spent the next six years doing everything I knew to get to Mario. I begged for an NES, but my parents refused. It was expensive, and anyway, why the hell would you get your preschool girl a video game? That totally made sense back then. Never mind that I watched the Super Mario Brothers Super Show religiously. Sometimes my neighbor would babysit me, and she very kindly let me play. I spent many hours sitting on my neighbor's water bed, working my way through 1-1. I was really too little to be any good, but as I got older? 1-2, baby.

One day in second grade, I was over at my friend Kylie's house, and she showed me her SNES. (She had a little brother. That usually upped your chances of having video games back then.) She was having trouble figuring out the animation part of this game called Mario Paint, and wanted my help, since she knew I knew a lot about cartoons.

I think we played Super Mario World as well, and that was rad, but Mario Paint was like HOLY gently caress. I went home and doubled down on my campaign to get a Nintendo set. I think at one point I actually tried to convince my dad that he could make presentations for work with Mario Paint.

When my birthday came around, my uncle promised that a big package was coming to my house. I knew what it was. The USPS guy hosed up the delivery, though, and left us a delivery slip that was totally unreadable, saying he left the package at another house. My mom flipped out, thinking that he just gave an SNES away. I managed to figure it out, though -- I had a plastic playhouse out back that he had left it in.

My dad took forever to set it up, and after a bunch of false starts, I finally talked him into calling the Nintendo help line. (Which was, back then, helpfully marked with a little Mario holding a toolbox.) I was up so far past my bedtime, but it didn't matter -- for the first time in my life, I had Mario. I talked my parents into letting me play some before bed, and finally cracked into Super Mario World.

I think the very first thing I did was get spooked at and promptly die at the hands of the first giant bullet bill. I expect this will happen at least once in Mario Maker.

You know, if we're telling Mario stories.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I still have never beat Mario Bros 3. World 8 I got past the hands and I think one more ship level, then a normal level, but not that second normal level. No way in hell, I tried to beat that game for a year I have harboured resentment at myself as a person ever since and probably need therapy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bean posted:

I think the very first thing I did was get spooked at and promptly die at the hands of the first giant bullet bill. I expect this will happen at least once in Mario Maker.

Story of the thread

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bean posted:

When I was REAL little, like two or three, it was the 1980s and Mario was brand new.

Unbelievably, video games were viewed much differently back then. There was none of this "video games as art" argument, video games were toys. Back then, there was more of an idea of boy toys and girl toys, and Mario was very specifically for boys. (Nowadays, we know that gamers are primarily women, of course.)

My neighbor, a boy a few years older than me, one day got an NES. My mother and I were over one day while he was playing Mario. It was the first time I ever saw a Mario game, or maybe even a video game outside of arcade demos, and holy hell do I remember it clearly. His mother explained it to us super poorly (when you get a mushroom, you label up!). I wanted to play, but I don't think I was allowed to for whatever reason. The kid was kind of a bastard, he might not have wanted me to have a turn. Or, maybe I was so little that they thought I'd break it.

I spent the next six years doing everything I knew to get to Mario. I begged for an NES, but my parents refused. It was expensive, and anyway, why the hell would you get your preschool girl a video game? That totally made sense back then. Never mind that I watched the Super Mario Brothers Super Show religiously. Sometimes my neighbor would babysit me, and she very kindly let me play. I spent many hours sitting on my neighbor's water bed, working my way through 1-1. I was really too little to be any good, but as I got older? 1-2, baby.

One day in second grade, I was over at my friend Kylie's house, and she showed me her SNES. (She had a little brother. That usually upped your chances of having video games back then.) She was having trouble figuring out the animation part of this game called Mario Paint, and wanted my help, since she knew I knew a lot about cartoons.

I think we played Super Mario World as well, and that was rad, but Mario Paint was like HOLY gently caress. I went home and doubled down on my campaign to get a Nintendo set. I think at one point I actually tried to convince my dad that he could make presentations for work with Mario Paint.

When my birthday came around, my uncle promised that a big package was coming to my house. I knew what it was. The USPS guy hosed up the delivery, though, and left us a delivery slip that was totally unreadable, saying he left the package at another house. My mom flipped out, thinking that he just gave an SNES away. I managed to figure it out, though -- I had a plastic playhouse out back that he had left it in.

My dad took forever to set it up, and after a bunch of false starts, I finally talked him into calling the Nintendo help line. (Which was, back then, helpfully marked with a little Mario holding a toolbox.) I was up so far past my bedtime, but it didn't matter -- for the first time in my life, I had Mario. I talked my parents into letting me play some before bed, and finally cracked into Super Mario World.

Nolgthorn posted:

I still have never beat Mario Bros 3. World 8 I got past the hands and I think one more ship level, then a normal level, but not that second normal level. No way in hell, I tried to beat that game for a year I have harboured resentment at myself as a person ever since and probably need therapy.

:whitewater:

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Tonight I sleep, but in the morning I will be a beautiful butterfly made out of giant flying chain chomps and clown cars possessed by a multitude of dead souls.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

So like, two more hours, right? Right?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fix posted:

So like, two more hours, right? Right?

Nope, been cancelled actually

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I don't have any kind of real Mario/Nintendo story as a kid, my parents were okay with it and I even saw my dad playing Mario Bros one night when I came out from my bed to get water or something. So I have no crazy stories about like, begging my parents to buy me whatever system.

So I'll say this, and I've said it before in the WiiU thread probably or something. When the Wii came out, and Mario Galaxy was about to be released, I played the demo of it at Gamestop one night. I played through some of it and was like "this is great!". But then I got to like, the first bonus galaxy, Sweet Sweet Galaxy. I swear I must have transformed into an actual child right then because that's what playing that level felt like. The level design was incredible, the art was gorgeous, the music was a remake of a SMB3 tune. The game felt wonderful to play, it was the right kind of challenging, etc. That one level brought me right back to feeling like a kid, and the joy that came with it. The level design was perfect, and no other company could do it so well. No other company can EVER do level design like Nintendo. That's why their platformers are so consistently loving good, it's why Galaxy can make you flip upside down and the controls still feel natural, it's how Tropical Freeze can have every single stage feel like a new fresh experience each time, it's how Mario 3D World's final level can be so loving insanely sadistically hard but at the same time feel completely fair. Nintendo are masters at level design, especially with platformers, and that one Mario Galaxy stage is basically the moment where I realized how good at it Nintendo was at it.

I see kids all the time wearing Mario shirts or playing Mario Kart on their 3DS. Kids today, despite what the youtube videos of 13 year olds screeching into the microphones about rape in Call of Duty may have you believe, are still totally into Mario, and I think that's awesome.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Y'know, I thought I wouldn't have any memories because I never actually owned an NES or (until well after it was done) an SNES and only played the Mario platformers a few times at friends' houses. However, Super Mario Maker is actually really relevant to my childhood, because Nintendo platformers are what got me interested in game/level design as a kid!

See, I loved Nintendo Power magazine as a kid. However, because I only had a Game Boy, I couldn't actually play most of the games that were featured. So, instead of seeing the articles as walkthroughs, I looked as them as more like...academic breakdowns of the games. Here were all the mechanics of a game laid bare. All the power-ups, all the enemies, and all the levels were right there for study. I would read the descriptions and an image would form in my head of how the gameplay of each game "worked," how the power-ups interacted with the enemies and so on.

I would take those huge level-maps they'd print for platformers and run my finger along them, working out the path the player was expected to take. I could see where the secrets were and how they were hidden. I could see how levels would use horizontal and vertical movement to break up their flow. In my head I was just having fun learning about a game, but really, I was starting to come to terms with game design as an actual craft.

In a weird way, Super Mario Maker is an amazing visual representation of what was happening in my 7-year-old mind reading Nintendo Power. All the elements of the game broken into discreet pieces, then imagining all the ways they could mix and interact.

I'm really excited to make some levels and put all the things I've been secretly learning for 22 years to use.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's because there were too many 9/11 jokes

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I'm excited to make my own terrible Mario levels and to spend hours running through the 100 Mario challenge. It's going to be tough to juggle this and Metal Gear but I will find a way!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

J-Spot posted:

I'm excited to make my own terrible Mario levels and to spend hours running through the 100 Mario challenge. It's going to be tough to juggle this and Metal Gear but I will find a way!

Combine the two. Can't one of the mystery mushrooms turn you into a ? block? There's your box sneaking gameplay right there

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Mario 3 world 8 is weird and brutal. You go through those weird, short levels and break through the other side into this quiet, surreal land of black and white before facing the final boss. Those last couple stark levels really stand out.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Color Printer posted:

Blind jump or fireball wall?

Oh too many...

Despera fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 11, 2015

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

ColdPie posted:

Mario 3 world 8 is weird and brutal. You go through those weird, short levels and break through the other side into this quiet, surreal land of black and white before facing the final boss. Those last couple stark levels really stand out.

I'm pretty sure when I first got into Mario 3 I would get stuck at the fortress right after level 2 in world 8. It wasn't until years later I would just P-wing over everything and beat the game.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

I don't have any Mario stories for the older games. I played World and All-Stars as a kid, but I was never that into Mario - I was all about that DKC, yo - but the first time I really got fully into a Mario game was Super Mario Sunshine. Like, I can still remember the day I got it. It was raining incredibly heavy all day and for some reason I was outside skating through the deepest puddles of water I could find and then my mom finally got home and she took me to Wal-Mart to get Super Mario Sunshine for my birthday. I had a friend over already so he tagged along with us, we got the game and came back to my house and we played the game all night. It was rad.

Basically, whenever I play Super Mario Sunshine I still feel that entertained as I did when I was in middle school and now I actually look forward to new Mario games including this one. So yeah. That's my Mario story, I guess.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Color Printer posted:

You could say it all just collapsed on itself.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I remember playing SMB when I was 3 and my cousins and I flipping the gently caress out at the flying fish on the bridge stage

That's my Mario story see ya

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Back in high school I used to bring my Game Boy Color and instead of paying attention in history class I would see how quickly/how many times I could beat Super Mario Bros Deluxe

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Nintendo just refunded me. Cancellation confirmed

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
My most enduring memory of Mario is playing SMB at friends' houses and wondering why noone with a NES seemed to own any other games besides Mario and Duck Hunt when ever Sega Master System owned I knew had dozens of games. Dozens!

Later on, I realised it's because Sega priced their games lower here and Nintendo jacked theirs way up and never discounted them but who cares, you Mario dorks missed out on classics like Snail Maze and Nightmare Basketball and Totally Not Kenshiro's Walk To The Right And Punch Guys Simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Tomorrow, everyone should make nine remixes of 1-1

• Locked thread