Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

McGregor's knowledge of the position is probably not a tenth of Ryan's. The best publically available instructional material available on the 50/50 guard is a 4 hour DVD set released by Ryan Hall himself, and it was six years ago, which means he's probably made a lot of tweaks and improvements since then.

edit: so, no

McGregor attended a seminar of Ryan's where he went over the 50/50 guard (and a number of other things). This was maybe 2 years ago now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
He's an expert, then

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Le Saboteur posted:

The episode where Artem gets merc'd by some Team USA guy is going to be a fun one.

this is the correct outlook to have

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Looks like in the promos for tonight's episode Conor has gone from yelling get up! to Stand on your feet from the corner. Evolution!

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Le Saboteur posted:

Looks like in the promos for tonight's episode Conor has gone from yelling get up! to Stand on your feet from the corner. Evolution!

This is the Rampage style coaching I can get behind

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Le Saboteur posted:

For those who didn't watch, what this actually turned out to be was Conor telling the dude between rounds "You're winning on the feet, stay on the feet!" after which the guy would go out, instantly shoot a double, and pull guard the second there was even a trace of a sprawl on the part of his opponent. It was actually kind of funny watching him relentlessly do the opposite of what he was told at every conceivable turn.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

fatherdog posted:

For those who didn't watch, what this actually turned out to be was Conor telling the dude between rounds "You're winning on the feet, stay on the feet!" after which the guy would go out, instantly shoot a double, and pull guard the second there was even a trace of a sprawl on the part of his opponent. It was actually kind of funny watching him relentlessly do the opposite of what he was told at every conceivable turn.

The reverse Stand n Wang

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fatherdog posted:

otoh, Conor was pretty ineffective at giving the guy anything to work with. Yes, he kept yelling "stand, stand, loving stand up, loving hell stand up" which is what the guy should have been doing, but he never really gave him any guidance on how to achieve that and the guy clearly had no clue how to do it himself. It's probably why Conor said "I'm not going to coach you", but then he went and yelled over the actual cornermen the whole time anyway. The guy wasn't even looking for underhooks or really doing much with his hips and Conor certainly wasn't telling him to do those things.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Conor was telling him a lot of things. He got frustrated after the dude shot in the second round, then again after his big gently caress you in the third, but Conor was giving technical advice even after that, although very sparsely. I don't blame him. His fighter was on his back because he didn't listen. The dude pulled guard twice.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lol at Artem flatly stating he was brought back because of Conor.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Also it rules that they have a picture in picture window with a McGregor cam so we can watch him even when he's not in the scene on the big screen.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Grem posted:

Conor was telling him a lot of things. He got frustrated after the dude shot in the second round, then again after his big gently caress you in the third, but Conor was giving technical advice even after that, although very sparsely. I don't blame him. His fighter was on his back because he didn't listen. The dude pulled guard twice.

If he was shouting technical advice, I certainly couldn't hear it over any of the other sound in the gym. He doesn't seem to be great at the cornerman thing, but he's kinda making it hard for the people he designated to be cornermen when he draws the fighter's attention by pacing around and shouting at him.

Also, his impeccable posture when strutting angrily is hilarious.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Thats one thing I've really noticed in the show is Conor McGregor's commitment to always sitting and standing with the best possible posture. Dude never slumps or slouches.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

If he was shouting technical advice, I certainly couldn't hear it over any of the other sound in the gym. He doesn't seem to be great at the cornerman thing, but he's kinda making it hard for the people he designated to be cornermen when he draws the fighter's attention by pacing around and shouting at him.

Also, his impeccable posture when strutting angrily is hilarious.

Ironically enough part of his technical advice was about posture. I agree with you about shouting over his corner men though, either corner or don't.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Le Saboteur posted:

Thats one thing I've really noticed in the show is Conor McGregor's commitment to always sitting and standing with the best possible posture. Dude never slumps or slouches.

Yeah, his picture in the gym makes me giggle for the same reason. It's like he wants to be extra sure that booty be poppin for his poster.

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013
Conor is obviously a goon who read the post about his afterparty and decided to make some changes.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Conor has the posture of a tiny, proud bantam rooster and it's adorable.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Finally watching episode 3 and Conor melting down during the fight is simultaneously the worst and best thing.

Especially paired with Urijahs calm and generally helpful instructions. Instead Conor is alternately yelling stand up and calling his fighter a bitch.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 25, 2015

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Captain Log posted:

Conor has the posture of a tiny, proud bantam rooster and it's adorable.

Conor McGregor - fights like a kicking chicken, kicks like a fighting chicken

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
The best base for mma is having good posture and I'm not being facetious

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

quote:

Artem Lobov (11-10 MMA), The Ultimate Fighter Team Europe contestant and SBG Ireland fighter, claims his teammate Conor McGregor flirted with retirement because he was struggling to get into the UFC. The Russian also said matchmaker Sean Shelby told Lobov to pad his record if he wanted to receive a call from the UFC.

The featherweight spoke to FOX Sports yesterday.

"Conor McGregor was gonna retire from the sport because he couldn't get into the UFC," Lobov said. "While someone like Sasha had his spot in the UFC and was making money and had a good career. Do you think that's fair, can you imagine if Conor had retired?"

"Some people always said to me, 'go and pad your record', but this is not something I would ever do. Sean Shelby said to me, 'go and pad your record and I give you a shot in the UFC.' But there was no way in hell I was ever gonna do that."

'The Russian Hammer' was eliminated in the first episode of TUF: Team McGregor vs. Team Faber by Mehdi Baghdad, but regained his spot on the show after McGregor was given the option to bring back another European fighter.

"I'm not gonna lie, I got a chance to come back because of Conor," he said. "There is no other reason why I'm there. As much as Dana said my fight was great, and this and that, I know that I got a chance to come back because of Conor. Do I think I deserve to be in there? Hell yea I think I deserve to be in there."

Do you remember that gangster movie trope where one guy is a rising star and he tries to bring a friend from the sticks along with him, and he turns out to be nothing but a liability?

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Street Horrrsing posted:

Do you remember that gangster movie trope where one guy is a rising star and he tries to bring a friend from the sticks along with him, and he turns out to be nothing but a liability?

The Tony B of the UFC

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Street Horrrsing posted:

I do, but I'm actually struggling to think of an example of it.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Snowman_McK posted:

I do, but I'm actually struggling to think of an example of it.

"Artem has a good heart, but he's weak and he's stupid."

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

fatherdog posted:

It was pretty comical. I never really liked Faber before but he seems like a p cool dude.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dantu posted:

It was pretty comical. I never really liked Faber before but he seems like a p cool dude.

Faber has always been a very cool, classy dude. He comes across worse than usual on this show because he has that habit of "Says a thing" *pause* *other guy hasn't said anything yet* "Says thing again"

It's something a lot of people do when they're talking, but when you're talking poo poo on camera it makes you look terrible

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Faber shouldn't try and do verbal comebacks, ever. He's worse than Michael Scott.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Mob posted:

Faber shouldn't try and do verbal comebacks, ever. He's worse than Michael Scott.

Yeah, Cruz verbally assaulted Faber on their season of the Live format.

Faber rules but he's not very quick on his feet when it comes to verbal judo.

jediguy
Apr 19, 2002

I particularly enjoyed Conor's reluctantly accepting "yeah" after Faber suggested he start turning up to morning training

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

-Atom- posted:

Yeah, Cruz verbally assaulted Faber on their season of the Live format.

Faber rules but he's not very quick on his feet when it comes to verbal judo.

Yeah I have never seen him outside of his fights so I thought that California Kid poo poo was just a nickname but nope that is one chill guy.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Conor lashing into Sasha in front of the team made me a little uncomfortable to watch. I thought that was a pretty lovely thing to do.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

Conor lashing into Sasha in front of the team made me a little uncomfortable to watch. I thought that was a pretty lovely thing to do.

Yeah, calling your own fighter a bitch in front of your entire team is pretty rough.

But also, Conor and his corner telling him to keep it on his feet going into to the second round and then he immediately shoots a single is one of the funniest things I've seen happen during a fight in The Ultimate Fighter.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 28, 2015

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Le Saboteur posted:

Yeah, calling your own fighter a bitch in front of your entire team is pretty rough.

But also, Conor and his corner telling him to keep it on his feet going into to the second round and then he immediately shoots a single is one of the funniest things I've seen happen during a fight in The Ultimate Fighter.

My favorite is still the guy that got mackinzietined after the coaches and he game planned specifically to avoid it.

....and ONE!!!!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

jediguy posted:

I particularly enjoyed Conor's reluctantly accepting "yeah" after Faber suggested he start turning up to morning training

Yeah, this kinda wipes away any other bad shittalking Faber did. He completely owned Conor with that line.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

My favorite is still the guy that got mackinzietined after the coaches and he game planned specifically to avoid it.

....and ONE!!!!

wow

*puts on lip balm in preparation to motorboat some asses*

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

I was talking about this with a friend and what we basically ended up on was, if connor told sasha and his team "Well he fought his hardest" he'd lose credibility. I mean, the guy just didn't make an effort to stand up. Idk if he was tired and i'm not saying i could do it better, but he poo poo the bed in the octagon imo.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

canada jezus posted:

I was talking about this with a friend and what we basically ended up on was, if connor told sasha and his team "Well he fought his hardest" he'd lose credibility. I mean, the guy just didn't make an effort to stand up. Idk if he was tired and i'm not saying i could do it better, but he poo poo the bed in the octagon imo.

Hey that's fine, and I get that but say "Guys, you have to listen to us, we are Coaches for a reason. Sasha, when you were standing up you were winning, let's fix the holes in your ground game so next time you can stand up!"

I had a supervisor who "supervised" like Conor coaches and I was miserable because I felt like a piece of poo poo 24/7, that's probably why thos touched such a nerve with me.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Yeah that does sounds better. Connor had this look after he threw his sunglasses like "Ah poo poo maybe went too far." Faber's "Maybe show up in the morning huh?" was loving hilarious.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I'm not sure how showing up for the morning light practice is going to make the guy not do the opposite of what you tell him to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LobsterMobster posted:

wow

*puts on lip balm in preparation to motorboat some asses*

I love this so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M80HqjHvV0

• Locked thread