Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I've got a question that's not about KonMari or UfYH, but this is the closest thing to a "general cleaning" tips thread:

What in the ever-living gently caress can I do about dust?

Every place I've lived, no matter what I do, there is dust EVERYWHERE. I sweep weekly, usually mop as well, and dust my flat surfaces. We have an average-hair-length cat and short-haired dog, so I know that contributes, but it still seems like an absurd amount. I don't see nearly as much in my friends' and families homes (well...most of them) so clearly I'm doing something wrong.

As an example:

We just moved into this house about a month ago. When we first moved in, we did a deep clean, including "overlooked" places like the blades on the ceiling fan, under/behind the fridge, corners of walls/ceilings, etc...and have done weekly sweeping and moping since then.

Tuesday night, I swept and mopped the entire first floor (all hard floors) even though I already did that on Saturday. Then I dusted the flat surfaces (used Pledge + microfiber cloth for wood, and Windex + microfiber cloth for glass entertainment center.)

I walked out of my bedroom Wednesday morning, and in the bright stream of sunlight coming in through the window was just as much dust as I always see every morning. And here's a picture of my coffee table, literally less than a full day after cleaning:

(Yes, I know it's scratched to Hell...combo of the Cat and my GF not thinking and doing "crafting" on it without a mat underneath.)

Covered in nearly as much dust and hair as I removed the day before.

The vacuum came yesterday afternoon, and first thing I did was use the upholstery attachment all over the couch. I have a feeling a lot of it was coming from there, since until now I haven't had a vacuum that had attachments to clean it with, so maybe some of the dust and hair was from that.

My GF seems to think it's mostly "road dust" from leaving windows open, but in the last place we lived, we had just as much dust, even in winter, and it was on a less busy road. I just think that whatever we're doing is "wrong" somehow.

I've tried paper towels, both with just water and "specialty" dusting products (Pledge, window, etc...,) I've tried the microfiber clothes, dry, with water, and with dusting products, etc...The paper towels with products seem to work best, but I feel and using so many paper towels both because of money and the environment. Microfiber with products seem to do almost as good a job (at least at the time of cleaning, as you can see, it doesn't last.)

I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread