Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Arus posted:

This may wind up being the case for me next year, but I am still holding on to old math notebooks I guess for some hidden fear that I'm going to forget how to do it before I take the GRE. I haven't looked back on a single one. The excuse I keep making now is I'm going to recycle them but I haven't gone through and cut out all the paper and I doubt it'll ever happen. :shrug:

Just flip through them one day without a specific purpose and see if some emotional value can be had. It's crazy how even reading the math notes you wrote can remind you of the other things that were going on in your life at the time. Maybe even a few times over a week, if the notebooks haven't done anything for you by the end of the week when they're at the forefront of your mind they're probably unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

signalnoise posted:

Not shown: the floor

My hobby space is lovely in terms of organization. The problem I'm having is there seems to be a continuum between organized and functional. I want to combine the two. I don't really know how because there are so many things that go into painting miniatures.

Paints
Files
Glues
Pigments
Airbrush
Cleaners
Brushes
Ballast
Flock
Bases
the list goes on

And then there's the workspace itself. I am not really sure how to organize all this poo poo in such a way that it's also within arm's reach. And then there's storing all the poo poo you're painting, are in the middle of painting, or have finished painting.

If the space doesn't have another function, or only rarely does, I don't see a problem with it as is. The biggest change I've been trying to make and a bit struggling with is time management, and part of that is knowing when you're done with this task for the day and putting it away. If I leave it out, it's still going through my mind as it's little effort to come back to and it doesn't feel finished. That might just be me, though. I will say I get a lot more done the better I adhere to this.

I don't have the benefit of a workspace I can leave dirty, and I don't do miniatures, but I use trays for different leather tools organized by what part of the process they're in and try to do that part of the process for multiple pieces. This way, the trip only needs to be made twice (once to grab, once to put away), and it becomes a part of setting goals for this particular session. Once I'm done with the one tray, I can reassess whether I have the time and commitment to work on the step or not.

• Locked thread