Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

A big flaming stink posted:

not sure gifted students have laws like IDEA mandating certain standards. I've certainly never heard of an IEP for a "gifted" student

Some states mandate IEPs for gifted students and some do not. If a gifted student also has a learning disability (like autism) they'll have an IEP. I've never seen an IEP for a gifted student without an identified learning disability in California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

A big flaming stink posted:

oh cool, where do you teach again? i'm still in school for teaching, but it does seem like IEP is gonna be a huge focus for us even if we don't concentrate as special educators

My only experience is as a student, but this was in Calgary (the public board, to be precise; I'm not sure if the separate board has a gifted program or not). They really outdid themselves, apparently. Before that, the usual solution to dealing with me in every other school I attended was "bump him up a grade, and maybe two or three in math" which was really not a good idea. I'm surprised and dismayed to see that gifted education is being done so shoddily in other systems.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
The whole Common Core subject reminded me of an old b-movie short on math... so I made a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5RI2yGHYfs

In all honesty though, as an engineer, common core is a relatively simple way to explain math to newcomers (imho). I still find my video funny though :)

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

The best youtube video about common core math is the Tom Lehrer song from the '60s about New Math
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIKGV2cTgqA

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

PT6A posted:

My only experience is as a student, but this was in Calgary (the public board, to be precise; I'm not sure if the separate board has a gifted program or not). They really outdid themselves, apparently. Before that, the usual solution to dealing with me in every other school I attended was "bump him up a grade, and maybe two or three in math" which was really not a good idea. I'm surprised and dismayed to see that gifted education is being done so shoddily in other systems.

Heh, I also did the Calgary GATE program back in the day. Overall it was a decent experience, at least at the junior high level.

Rumour was that they gave us all IEP's/IPP's because the school got extra funding for every kid with one, but I dunno if that was just poo poo kids make up. Seems plausible.

• Locked thread