Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moebius2778
May 3, 2013
Well, if anyone's curious, the San Francisco Unified actually has their math curriculum online here. More specifically, the proposed sequence of classes is here. Of note, at the high school level, it's Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II or Algebra II + Pre-calc, and then either AP Calculus, AP Stats, or Pre-calc. Actually looks pretty similar to my high school's mathematics curriculum.

Edit: After looking at Algebra I, I take that back. If I'm reading it right, they're doing linear programming in that class. I think I hit that ... second year in college or something.

moebius2778 fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Sep 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

DeadlyMuffin posted:

An engineering student who had to take math 1A (calc 1) would be at a big disadvantage since the introductory physics and engineering classes absolutely require that knowledge. I'm sure it can happen, but it definitely isn't common or preferred.

Math 1b (calc 2) is recommended for everyone, even though many students could AP out (5 on BC calc AP test). It is a good recommendation: my understanding is that it's the most dropped and failed class at Cal. Basically, taking calc 1 and 2 in high school sets you up to survive calc 2 at Cal.

Really? I didn't find taking Math 1A and Physics 7A concurrently to be a particular problem.

Oddly enough, I think starting from Math 1A as a mathematics major would be even less of a problem since your critical path is 1A -> 1B -> 53+54. So you can be taking upper division math classes by the end of your second year. And since you're L&S you've got ... what, six other electives, two English classes and an upper division elective to take anyways. So you might as well try to get as much of that finished in your first two years as possible, anyways.

• Locked thread