Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I was really hoping no one would post this. The shame! :negative:

I'm so sorry buddy :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(
I shall be rooting for the mighty and amateur Teros.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I'm in the fantasy League also, went balls out and tried not to make too many safe picks, exciting!

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

I'm in the fantasy League also, went balls out and tried not to make too many safe picks, exciting!

Side bet on how long before Healy gets carded? I'd have offered Big Jim but he decided to throw in the towel.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is it one of those tedious leagues with 8 billion substitutions over the course of the tournament, or a "pick ~20 dudes and pray they don't die" one?

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
Yeah. I convinced myself a membership was justified this season because there were glimmers of something improving last year but... yeah. I've left Perth now though so I don't have to make the call about renewing for next season.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Vaders Jester posted:

Side bet on how long before Healy gets carded? I'd have offered Big Jim but he decided to throw in the towel.

I need a new av so I'm definitely up for some side bets!

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I was really hoping no one would post this. The shame! :negative:

How did you manage to find that, but miss this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1voi7Z4CsLs

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Hahaha oh christ, I feel so much better now.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

I need a new av so I'm definitely up for some side bets!

:toxx:

I'm happy to get a new AV if Scotland get a guy binned before Ireland do. I reckon it's probably 50/50 between WP Nel and Healy :)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The guardian's article on the hilarious self destruction of the Wallabies is a great read

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/sep/16/a-history-of-the-wallabies-at-the-rugby-world-cup-part-iii

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Team made. Hoping my NH frontline and SH backline will drag me to glory! It won't

Tyma posted:

Are you going to any of the Millenium Stadium games this time round?

Yep! Just the Fiji game, but I'll be there. You? PM me if you're around for Fiji and free for a post-game commiserations drink.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

goatface posted:

Is it one of those tedious leagues with 8 billion substitutions over the course of the tournament, or a "pick ~20 dudes and pray they don't die" one?

It's one with transfers, you get 15 during the Group Stages and 10 for the Knockouts. It's tricky to really game it by transferring players around , you'll mostly be covering injuries or swooping in on someone playing well. You'll need you 10 transfers for your knockout stage picks as some f your team will go away probably.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Destroyenator posted:

Yeah. I convinced myself a membership was justified this season because there were glimmers of something improving last year but... yeah. I've left Perth now though so I don't have to make the call about renewing for next season.

I've been a member every season since they formed. :suicide:

Pretty sure at this point me renewing my membership is just stockholm syndrome.

"This time will be different! They said they've changed."

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
And here I was thinking Leigh Halfpenny Memorial XV was original.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Sometimes I get upset about people hating England but then I remember Matt Dawson exists and I'm like nope, carry on.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Vaders Jester posted:

:toxx:

I'm happy to get a new AV if Scotland get a guy binned before Ireland do. I reckon it's probably 50/50 between WP Nel and Healy :)

You're on. No Healy starting this week though so I might have an edge,

Ireland: R Kearney; D Kearney, J Payne, L Fitzgerald, K Earls; J Sexton, C Murray; J McGrath, R Best, M Ross; I Henderson, P O'Connell (capt), P O'Mahony, S O'Brien, J Heaslip.

Replacements: S Cronin, C Healy, N White, D Ryan, C Henry, E Reddan, I Madigan, S Zebo.

Pleasantly surprised to see Henderson starting after I jumped the gun a bit and put him in my fantasy team, but I'm even happier Joe saw sense and dropped Bowe. It's a solid squad on paper but they really need to show an improvement from the warm up games if they're going to stand a chance.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Healy will get injured before he has a chance to get carded

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
What is the deal with every pundit raving about Folau. I get it, he's good, and he's good without being a oval office. But is he actually the "MOST EXCITING PLAYER / BACK IN RUGBY"? Surely there are more promising contenders? I for one am excited to see Mulder-Scully get more time in a black jersey, the touches he showed in both Bledisloe games outshone whatever Folau had on offer, intercept or not. Nadolo has a huge chance to shine in the group of death AND HE KICK GOALS. Jesse Kriel is surely knocking on the door of a great career, nevermind if Pollard decides that this is his time to shine. There must be plenty of others too, I know I'm ignorant to more of the non RC teams. I know Folau is good, and I even like him (weird), I just can't believe that he is THE MOST EXCITING BACK IN RUGBY RIGHT NOW.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
I think Matthew Morgan and Sam Burgess are the most exciting backs in the tournament.

Folau is talented and consistent. That's the opposite of exciting ^^;

-

Edit : One day left to pick your Fiji players!

I've created an ESPN Fantasy League for the world cup. you can sign up here.

http://fantasyrugby.espn.co.uk/

and the Pin for the League is 1157482-12650

I'll throw in a Forum Upgrade or Avatar of your choice to the person coming first, their choice.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 17, 2015

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

slothrop posted:

What is the deal with every pundit raving about Folau. I get it, he's good, and he's good without being a oval office. But is he actually the "MOST EXCITING PLAYER / BACK IN RUGBY"? Surely there are more promising contenders? I for one am excited to see Mulder-Scully get more time in a black jersey, the touches he showed in both Bledisloe games outshone whatever Folau had on offer, intercept or not. Nadolo has a huge chance to shine in the group of death AND HE KICK GOALS. Jesse Kriel is surely knocking on the door of a great career, nevermind if Pollard decides that this is his time to shine. There must be plenty of others too, I know I'm ignorant to more of the non RC teams. I know Folau is good, and I even like him (weird), I just can't believe that he is THE MOST EXCITING BACK IN RUGBY RIGHT NOW.

It's because he does the jump thing to catch the ball and usually sticks it. People seem to froth over a player who can do that.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

LordPants posted:

The guardian's article on the hilarious self destruction of the Wallabies is a great read

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/sep/16/a-history-of-the-wallabies-at-the-rugby-world-cup-part-iii

Every mention of the 2003 World Cup is like a dagger to my heart. Child me refuses to believe the year even existed.

Basically we should have won :nsamad:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I did a team. It has a token Scotsman in it.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Go Italy, though I wish you weren't in a group with France, Ireland (I hate losing to these two countries) and especially Canada

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So Fiji's got this right? :downs:

The last World Cup was so much fun (well except for the final, that was kinda crap, outside of the French coach and team refusing to talk to each other :allears:), I hope this one lives up to it.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 18, 2015

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Changed my team around and renamed it.

Added a couple of players of :japan: plus Richie Gray as the token Scot.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Fun game : pick the worst Welsh team you can possibly imagine, for an actual, real, very important world cup match.

Answer below :

15. Liam Williams
14. Alex Cuthbert
13. Cory Allen
12. Scott Williams
11. Hallam Amos
10. Rhys Priestland
09. Gareth Davies
01. Paul James
02. Scott Baldwin
03. Samson Lee
04. Luke Charteris
05 .Jake Ball
06. Sam Warburton
07. Justin Tipuric
08. James King

:smithicide:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Tyma posted:

15. Liam Williams
14. Alex Cuthbert
13. Cory Allen
12. Scott Williams
11. Hallam Amos
10. Rhys Priestland
09. Gareth Davies
01. Paul James
02. Scott Baldwin
03. Samson Lee
04. Luke Charteris
05 .Jake Ball
06. Sam Warburton
07. Justin Tipuric
08. James King

What's that, in the backs there?

Tyma posted:

15. Liam Williams
14. Alex Cuthbert
13. Cory Allen
12. Scott Williams
11. Hallam Amos
10. Rhys Priestland
09. Gareth Davies

No no not the 3/4's

Tyma posted:

13. Cory Allen
12. Scott Williams
10. Rhys Priestland
09. Gareth Davies

Just there at 10

Tyma posted:

10. Rhys Priestland

:captainpop:

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
I'm a southern hemisphere fan so excuse my ignorance, but I've honestly never heard of Cory Allen. And what happened to Jamie Roberts?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
PRIESTLAND STARTS!

I'm so sorry Welsh fans.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Priestland's dream has not been cancelled.

Rejoice!

PS: Are we allowed to laugh at him or is that still a mean thing to do to poor old Rhys?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I don't think Wales will win the World Cup.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Vaders Jester posted:

Priestland's dream has not been cancelled.

Rejoice!

PS: Are we allowed to laugh at him or is that still a mean thing to do to poor old Rhys?

I've been coming round to the idea that it's been long enough now that it's just mean to laugh at him: he's so earnest that it's like kicking a puppy, and he genuinely seems to love playing for Wales. I for one hope he does well.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is there an opening ceremony?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Yes, but it'll probably just be morris dancing or some poo poo. Starts at seven.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Awesome write up, OP.

As a Bokke fan I will assume their recent loses were due to them trying new things and not really giving a flying gently caress the last few months, instead conserving their energy to winning the WC. I will be wearing several of my jerseys for the next few weeks in proud support (until a player does something stupid like homicide on the pitch).

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Madkal posted:

until a player does something stupid like homicide on the pitch

I too will be watching Bismarck du Plessis and Schalk Burger do on the pitch.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

HappyCamperGL posted:

Yes, but it'll probably just be morris dancing or some poo poo. Starts at seven.

I hope Dylan Hartley and Danny Cipriani have been relegated to performing the "morris dancing or some poo poo".

Congratulations to Swan Curry and Aramoro for having the only avatars of players actually playing in this world cup :neckbeard:

edit :

CyberPingu posted:

I guess my avatar still counts right?

I was wonrdering when you were going to show up!

Tyma fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 18, 2015

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I guess my avatar still counts right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Been lurking for a while, NFL season started the other day so it kinda took my attention away from Rugby :smith: