Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
The self-proclaimed Archbishop of Banterbury, James "How do rucks work?" Haskell has got a contract to fight in Bellator MMA. So for all of you that want to see him get the poo poo kicked out of him, that's happening in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Vaders Jester posted:

Can anyone else smell toast?

Foreman, holding on for dear life in the year 2133, waiting for Scotland to win the World Cup.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Big Hask isn't a bad spud, eddie said he'd be buying a ticket for his first fight so hopefully it goes better than his adventure into super rugby.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
*thinking* Can't go out in the quarter finals if you get knocked out in the group.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Wrecked 'em.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

If Murray's hurt we're hosed. Proper hosed.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

If Murray's hurt we're hosed. Proper hosed.

Connor Murray and Rob Kearney.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Sam Skinner is out of the RWC after a knee injury against France and Richie Gray has ruled himself out due to family commitments. Potentially the last we see of Richie in a Scotland shirt.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Richie Gray isn't in the squad because, from what I have heard from people who work in the SRU and know the players, he is a colossal loving rear end in a top hat.

Ain't nothing to do with family.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

I didn't think he had enough of a personality to be an arsehole. Either way, he's ruled himself out in a chat to Toony according to Wilson so makes no difference.

abgushte badamjan
Apr 4, 2009

for butts??????
His wife just had a baby 4 months ago; I think it's pretty reasonable to be up front about not intending to leave her at home alone for several months.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

What do we have in common with Owen Franks? None of us are going to be playing for the All Blacks at the World Cup, and neither is he.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Also Laumape, which I find more surprising.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Looking for a rugby podcast that isn’t three English bell ends doing ‘banter’

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

bigfoot again posted:

Looking for a rugby podcast that isn’t three English bell ends doing ‘banter’

Blood & Mud are good. One English and one Welsh guy talking about Rugby and chatting the odd nonsense without the Poundshop Piers Morgan that is Andy Goode "bants"

Brian Moore's one is pretty great too.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 28, 2019

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bigfoot again posted:

Also Laumape, which I find more surprising.

Laumape is unlucky, but he was probably the most vulnerable out of the available midfielders to being dropped.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
World Cup Thread

Ok goons, a lot of the squads are out, so my plan is to have the new thread ready to post on the 15th September, and then keep to high effort posting for the first few days, before the tournament starts, and we all turn to poo poo-posting :neckbeard:

If you have adopted a new country to write about / support / lovingly tattoo onto your body, then please send me a write-up via PMs or via email (awfultyma@gmail.com). Let me know which 3 dudes you want me to use in the header image (If you don't specify, then I usually use the captain, fly-half and most likely try scorer)

-

Example Writeup

As of writing, Wales are officially The Best Team In The World. They reached this incredible achievement, by beating a series of 13 “kind of bad” teams. Basically, the rugby equivalent of reaching the maximum level in World Of Warcraft, by sitting in one spot for over 2 years, and killing a never ending supply of level 1 boars.

When it comes to playing against “kind of good” teams, Wales have a horrible history against Southern Hemisphere teams. The last World Cup saw them knocked out by Australia and South Africa, before going on a lovely Summer Tour of New Zealand, where they lost all 5 games, and were humiliated by a club side. They also tend to lose whenever they have to play a game at any altitude above sea level.

.. But they are still The Best Team In The World, honestly!

Captaining Wales this time around will be Alun Wyn Jones. He's basically an android, that's built to play Rugby. He can jump, he can catch, he can tackle someone in such a way that they have to leave the pitch for the remainder of the game. The only thing Alun Wyn struggles with is comprehending the emotions of the weak humans that he must play rugby against. He's definitely someone you should be supporting if you're already a fan of Kimi Raikonen, Data from Star Trek, or you just enjoy watching post-match interviews where he stares grumpily at a wall, and refuses to answer any questions.

Wales' second key player is probably fly-half Dan Biggar. Unlike his captain, Dan Biggar has a lot of strong emotions, and he's constantly exhibiting one of them with all of the tact and calm of a bad guy in a Looney Tunes cartoon. Dan's emotions of choice are anger, confusion, determination and frustration. He became a running meme in the previous World Cup, when Youtube realized that kicking penalties made him really nervous, and the only way to sufficiently calm down was to perform an elaborate dance routine in the middle of the pitch.

If you plan to follow Wales this year, then get prepared for a loving roller-coaster. Despite being The Best Team In The World, most bookmakers don't have them in the top 5. Without any superstar try scorers, or fancy tricks in the bag, Wales are powered by an incredible fitness routine, an unbreakable defense, a stirring national anthem, and the fear of what Alun Wyn Jones will do to anyone who dares to gently caress this one up.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Your Scotland team to get smashed by Georgia like Batman got broken by Bane.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Vaders Jester posted:

Blood & Mud are good. One English and one Welsh guy talking about Rugby and chatting the odd nonsense without the Poundshop Piers Morgan that is Andy Goode "bants"

They were making GBS threads on Stephen Jones so I subscribed instantly

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tyma posted:

World Cup Thread

Ok goons, a lot of the squads are out, so my plan is to have the new thread ready to post on the 15th September, and then keep to high effort posting for the first few days, before the tournament starts, and we all turn to poo poo-posting :neckbeard:

If you have adopted a new country to write about / support / lovingly tattoo onto your body, then please send me a write-up via PMs or via email (awfultyma@gmail.com). Let me know which 3 dudes you want me to use in the header image (If you don't specify, then I usually use the captain, fly-half and most likely try scorer)

-

Example Writeup

As of writing, Wales are officially The Best Team In The World. They reached this incredible achievement, by beating a series of 13 “kind of bad” teams. Basically, the rugby equivalent of reaching the maximum level in World Of Warcraft, by sitting in one spot for over 2 years, and killing a never ending supply of level 1 boars.

When it comes to playing against “kind of good” teams, Wales have a horrible history against Southern Hemisphere teams. The last World Cup saw them knocked out by Australia and South Africa, before going on a lovely Summer Tour of New Zealand, where they lost all 5 games, and were humiliated by a club side. They also tend to lose whenever they have to play a game at any altitude above sea level.

.. But they are still The Best Team In The World, honestly!

Captaining Wales this time around will be Alun Wyn Jones. He's basically an android, that's built to play Rugby. He can jump, he can catch, he can tackle someone in such a way that they have to leave the pitch for the remainder of the game. The only thing Alun Wyn struggles with is comprehending the emotions of the weak humans that he must play rugby against. He's definitely someone you should be supporting if you're already a fan of Kimi Raikonen, Data from Star Trek, or you just enjoy watching post-match interviews where he stares grumpily at a wall, and refuses to answer any questions.

Wales' second key player is probably fly-half Dan Biggar. Unlike his captain, Dan Biggar has a lot of strong emotions, and he's constantly exhibiting one of them with all of the tact and calm of a bad guy in a Looney Tunes cartoon. Dan's emotions of choice are anger, confusion, determination and frustration. He became a running meme in the previous World Cup, when Youtube realized that kicking penalties made him really nervous, and the only way to sufficiently calm down was to perform an elaborate dance routine in the middle of the pitch.

If you plan to follow Wales this year, then get prepared for a loving roller-coaster. Despite being The Best Team In The World, most bookmakers don't have them in the top 5. Without any superstar try scorers, or fancy tricks in the bag, Wales are powered by an incredible fitness routine, an unbreakable defense, a stirring national anthem, and the fear of what Alun Wyn Jones will do to anyone who dares to gently caress this one up.

God I forgot I agreed to do this, time to find out what Japanese rugby is all about. Also can you change it to Alun-Wyn Jones? I've seen far too many people call him Wyn-Jones and to be honest it's starting to trigger me.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

bessantj posted:

God I forgot I agreed to do this, time to find out what Japanese rugby is all about. Also can you change it to Alun-Wyn Jones? I've seen far too many people call him Wyn-Jones and to be honest it's starting to trigger me.

Where does it say that? I'm not sure why anyone would hyphenate it, Wyn is just a really common middle name.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tyma posted:

Where does it say that? I'm not sure why anyone would hyphenate it, Wyn is just a really common middle name.

The man himself hyphenate it. I've seen a lot of non Welsh people spell it Wyn-Jones. Mostly in posts on other forums or comments on news reports, BBC comments sections and especially when you have those "pick your Lions team based on the 2019 6N" etc.. I'm only joking obviously but seeing it always makes me think how often I probably gently caress up writing foreign names.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 31, 2019

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

New z Aland are better than Wales ranking ngs are bollocks.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ah Agustín Pichot I didn't know you posted here, welcome aboard.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

I googled How does Alan wyn Jones spell his name and nary a hyphen was mentioned so I consider the matter closed

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Tyma posted:

Example Writeup

As of writing, Wales are officially The Best Team In The World.

Might need to rewrite some of this.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

Might need to rewrite some of this.

Nope, still fine.

EDIT: I was wrong a rewrite is needed, for now.

EDIT 2: This by Toner though.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 31, 2019

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I think every nation and every write-up should share the honor of holding the title of The Best Team In The World.

Except Scotland.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, but it was a French ref, and according to them, it's only foul play when an All Black does it.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Ireland have dropped Devon Toner. Lots of rumours that Scotland are dropping Huw “Gap Yah O’Driscoll” Jones which seems pretty foolish to me (and apparently Hutchinson as well, which might be foolisher). Agustin Pichot is being a bell end in public.

This has been your half arsed rugby news

bigfoot again fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 2, 2019

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It can not be understated how inappropriate it is for a high-level World Rugby official to comment on a team's player selections. Like it or not, Jean Kleyn has done his residency and has earned the right to play for Ireland. It's not Pichot's place to then try to dictate to the teams who he believes they should or shouldn't be selecting.

But then again, Pichot has prior form for being a grandstanding oval office even as a player.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

I loved Pichot as a player but gently caress me he's an arsehole of an administrator. Ireland don't even have the most residency qualified players in their group ffs.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
My opinions generally align with Pichot but he has a real knack of coming across as a complete oval office about everything, especially considering his position in the IRB.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Pichot is a one-eyed fuckwit that is deeply, deeply salty that the Pumas are still a bit shite even after joining the Rugby Championship so takes swings at anything that looks like an injustice.

Jones and Hutchison seem to be out of the Scotland squad, Jones is woefully out of form the last year and Hutchison is really unlucky that Taylor is in more or less one piece. I think the Scotland thoughts on it are defense wins championships so went with Harris and Taylor at 13 for defense and a great all-rounder, Sam Johnson at 12 for play-making and attack and Horne as the utility back and experienced safe hands. Scottish social media has lost its poo poo though.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Hutchinson is just a much more exciting and probably better player than Chris Harris. Also Scotland’s best results for decades have come from flinging it about and being mental, not from ‘defense’

Still, Duncan Taylor is genuinely good so fingers crossed

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Yeah, Hutchison is a better attacking option but Scotland have leaked an average of 4 tries a game and the worst results have also come from cats-in-a-rave rugby, Gregor obviously wants to stop this with his selections at centre. Let Finn and the back three go mental and fling it about but having a solid 13 like Taylor or Harris in defense is probably going to be more important against teams like Japan and Samoa than having another attacking option.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

My opinions generally align with Pichot but he has a real knack of coming across as a complete oval office about everything, especially considering his position in the IRB.

His opinion on the matter is irrelevant and 3 consecutive years is already a significant portion of a player's career. There's also an air of xenophobia about his public statements on the matter, like listing the percentage of players born in the nation they represent regardless of context (I live in New Zealand, but I was born overseas. Does that mean I'm any less of a New Zealand citizen because of that? I know I'm not in any danger of getting called up to the All Blacks any time soon, but I think my point still stands) it is entirely inappropriate for him to be commenting on an individual player's selection. Who the gently caress is he to dictate to any team who they can or can't select from their pool of eligible players?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

His opinion on the matter is irrelevant and 3 consecutive years is already a significant portion of a player's career. There's also an air of xenophobia about his public statements on the matter, like listing the percentage of players born in the nation they represent regardless of context (I live in New Zealand, but I was born overseas. Does that mean I'm any less of a New Zealand citizen because of that? I know I'm not in any danger of getting called up to the All Blacks any time soon, but I think my point still stands) it is entirely inappropriate for him to be commenting on an individual player's selection. Who the gently caress is he to dictate to any team who they can or can't select from their pool of eligible players?

I agree with this, there's often accusations of people being mercenaries, but from actual in real life, I know plenty of people from other countries who came here because of better opportunities, but would consider themselves as Irish as anyone else. They might not have a thick Irish accent, but they're part of the furniture here. Stander is an example of someone playing for Ireland, and then you have the likes of Pienaar in the north, who despite playing for SA considers the north just as much his home as anywhere in South Africa. There's a warped idea, exaggerated by the supposed benefits of getting into a national team, that people don't actually want to be in a country. It just doesn't hold true with the realities of immigration outside of sport.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I'm a bit behind on my effort post about my glorious *checks notes*..... Les Rouges/Canucks! But it's coming. You too will get behind the greatest rugby team on earth, who have just politely let everyone go ahead of them in the world rankings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

DTH is a god among men. That's all you need to know about Canada.