Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Holy poo poo. It's four in the morning and I've done two shows and a cast party and I've twisted my knee and I feel like death and none of it matters because despite half of our team being crippled I've somehow just watched Wales beat England at Twickenham.

I managed to get all the way home without knowing the score too, so that makes it double-good.

God knows where we go from here though: do we even have any dedicated centres left? And did Liam Williams actually get booted in the head? I might just be super tired but I didn't notice that on the ITV footage.

But still: holy poo poo. Mostly I just hope Biggar's done enough to have earned his own status as a world-class kicker: he's too good to just be thought of as Halfpenny's number two.

Edit: Liam Williams has said on Twitter that he's alright. Bit of a sore head, but alright. Hope he passed concussion protocols then.

fallingdownjoe fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I've just woken up to watch yet more rugby, and get to see Quade Cooper yellow carded? This is the best 12 hours ever.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Not Finn! I like him, he can't be dead!

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Mister Chief posted:

Well I know that one. It was the last year or the year before.

The one that's being talked in the press about is the 2012 South Africa game. With two minutes left England kicked the penalty to go a point down, then hosed up the restart and plain lost.

I do think the Wales game was different just because the penalty would have put them level, mind.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

EL BROMANCE posted:

If those things happen, no bonus points from <7 pt losses or 4 tries makes any difference? I presumed that's where things were going to get tricky. Glad to see it's simpler than originally thought.

Yeah, if Wales beat Fiji and England lose to Australia, then because Wales beat England there's pretty much (definitely?) no way that England can go through.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Hook & Anscombe in for Williams and Amos. To be honest, if they can play with half the spirit they had against England, any 15 could beat Fiji.

I wonder how far along recovery Anscombe is, though: I know he was only just not fit for the first cut, but I wonder if he's going to end up going straight home after becoming the next sacrifice.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I think so, yes. But the problems run a bit deeper

Dead/nearly so: Scott Williams, Leigh Halfpenny, Rhys Webb, Jonathan Davies, Hallam Amos, Liam Williams (may heal), Cory Allen

Other injured players who might have come into contention for selection: Eli Walker, Jack Dixon

Also recently injured to various degrees: Samson Lee, Alun Wyn Jones, Paul James, Aaron Jarvis, Sam Warburton

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

DickEmery posted:

It wasn't even that much of a tip tackle

http://gfycat.com/EarlyVelvetyBufeo

Was a bit brutal though.

The citation says it wasn't a tip tackle, but did meet the grounds for a dangerous tackle. And watching it... yeah. That could have ended up horribly.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

EL BROMANCE posted:

The cynic in me says it's because one of them plays for a tier 1 team that's struggling to qualify in their own World Cup, and by golly gosh we can't make it any harder for them.

I think that realistically even Lancaster has to know this, it's just so obvious.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Anyone else watching the Tonga v Namibia game? Namibians giving it their all and being horribly stuffed by their inability to keep hold of the ball. Really going for it though.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

hooman posted:

Can somebody change the thread title to:

Rugby World Cup 2015: Operation Ruin it for England

Also, good god the Welsh inside center looks like Chesty Bond and a granite cliff had a lovechild.

Jamie Roberts? He's the biggest and most terrifying fully-qualified medical doctor you'll ever meet.

Edit: yes to the thread title change!

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

EL BROMANCE posted:

I should never have doubted that money plays an even more important role than spite.

I'm finishing work in an hour or so, then will probably hit the City Arms for a pint, going to the fanzone to see what it's like (my friends seemed to enjoy it) then make sure we're in the stadium nice and early so we see any pre-kick stuff.

They currently have the Webb Ellis trophy in the fanzone in its own little PopeMobile. I've been making my family jealous by sending them all the photo of me gurning whilst standing next to it.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Tyma and I have a bet, the loser of which gets Priestlanded. I reckon Wales will lose another player this game, whilst Tyma reckons we won't.

I have a photo of a handshake if required.

I can also see John Inverdale on the pitch, presumably talking about England.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

goatface posted:

I reckon you're hosed, mate.

I never thought I'd be glad to have Priestland as an avatar, but not losing another player is a worthy sacrifice. I'll set it up by Monday at the latest: Tyma has approved the picture.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Unimpressed posted:

Judging by fallingjoe and Tyma's avatars, it's a Schroedinger's cat situation.

None of the Welsh players died, so next chance I get I'll change my avatar so something based on the attached picture (hopefully it'll attach as I'm phone posting).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Off to Milton Keynes for Samoa Japan. Ready to glare at everyone around me when they all start singing Swing loving Low.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Stadium MK review: surprisingly good with really nice seats. Atmosphere building nicely.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
The crowd at Samoa Japan was loving terrible. Endless attempts at waves instigated by a fat bald man who ran along behind the hoardings trying to get it going and who should have been glasses in the face, loads of noise during penalties and then Swing loving Low.

The first half was amazing fun though: the second half was just never going to be able to compare :( yay for Japan!

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Best day ever.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Have you seen anything good of Mike Brown?

Also, that Samoan trophy is a wonderful idea, and fair play to them. They didn't turn up yesterday but they came round the pitch afterwards and seemed lovely.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Amazing - I turn on the telly to watch Argentina Tonga and John Inverdale is talking about England. Finally my wife understands my constant moaning about him.

And of course they're talking about "should we have brought Armitage in" and the Aussies "bending the rules" to get Giteau on the team. I was just looking forward to hearing about today's game :(

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
That half time analysis may have hit a new low for Inverdale. A fun game with two teams who want to win, and all we get is a sad man talking about broken dreams. In a week when they're talking about how the crowds have been less excitable since England went out, I hope Inverdale has a brief moment of self-reflection.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I am enjoying this game - although sick as well. Drinking tea and stroking cats and looking forward to the Ireland game too.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

I thought he was lucky not be yellow carded at the time, so not surprised by that. Can't see it being enough to rule him out of Saturday's game though, which is good: I really just want to see him play.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

stavros880 posted:

Maybe he'll just get a warning like Tom Wood (for the kick to Liam Williams) and Sam Burgess (for his high tackle) received?

I'd be surprised if it wasn't: I don't think it was any worse than either of them, and less than the Nadolo Suplex.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
:siren: Hooper suspended for one week :siren:

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Well that was pretty nice.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

goatface posted:

An international kicking workshop, about 9 months before the next world cup just to get everyone up a bit. You get all the "minor" sides' kickers together, have a discussion about technique and training methods...

This sounds brilliant: just invite Tier 2s (and below, is there anyone below) and give them a proper rundown on how to do it. It would be very interesting to look at what some scorelines would have been if every kick at goal had been landed - thinking of England Fiji off the top of my head, but I know there's generally been some games which have felt like they'd be very different if the smaller nation had kicked well.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Gambrinus posted:

Anyone know of any pubs in York that will be showing the rugby this week? I know I could always watch it on ITV Player on the laptop, but it's not quite as good. Also, my lovely Travelodge TV doesn't get ITV4.

My little brother used to live in York, and he says that the Micklegate @ 127 is pretty good for sports, and has nice beer.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Gambrinus posted:

Cheers. it's 250 metres up the road and is showing the Georgia game. Awesome.

Great! Let me know if I need to tell my brother that his taste sucks.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
That was never a try at the end. Ref just seemed to want to get it over with.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Gambrinus posted:

On the plus side it's showing the game. On the other hand there's a massive group of what could turn into Bantz Lads later on. There's also not a single woman in here apart from the barmaid. think I'm too old for this place.

So how was bantz in the end?

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I'll see if there's anywhere else he can suggest in that case. We'll find you somewhere good!

But at least you have one option, I guess.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Wales team announced: Warburton with Tipuric, Anscombe gets a first start as full back, North as a centre, and Cuthbert has yet another chance to finally come good again. I'm pretty good with this - at least we're going to properly have a go at the Australians, even if we lose in the end.

So excited.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Japan would be the obvious answer but they've probably only got one game left (unless Scotland do their thing).

Australia are just really good at the moment, which might be cheating.

Wales are mostly broken, so if you want to support an underdog then they're not a bad shout, especially because they have all of the inevitable impending heartbreak that being an England fan in any sport requires. I might be biased on this one though.

Other than that, maybe Argentina or Ireland? Ireland could do better than they've ever done before, and Argentina just look pretty good.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
At least Paulie's mam is there to go give him a hug. Really sad for him to go out that way, but well pleased for Ireland.

Might put a fiver on both Wales and France winning to get the narratively-satisfying France-Wales semi-final, although I can't really see it happening.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Eli Walker called up for Wales. Tyma, you don't think much of him: how much more stuffed are Wales now that he's in the squad? And what's so bad about him (I don't know him well)?

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

stavros880 posted:

I thought he was injured, but it turns out he's recovered from his hamstring injury and is a week away from fitness. How long do we give him before he's injured again?

As long as he can do two games, that's all I care about, especially if he's as made of glass as Tyma's suggesting. It's always sad when players just get too broken to get gametime, but I can definitely see the point on bringing in an Ospreys players who will be more easily able to slot into the team's mindset due to the sheer amount of time spent playing with the group.

If we do get through to the semis and half of the team's dead after the Boks slam into them repeatedly, maybe that's when politics will stop mattering.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Vaders Jester posted:

Yeah. To be fair, the guy is almost certainly a professional and will be completely objective but it looks loving terrible and incredibly daft. Even if they're chosen before the match goes ahead, surely the citing officer can be changed. Especially if they know that Scotland have a very good chance of meeting Australia in the QF.

Looking at it, it's this English chap who's making the final call - they were just referred by an Australian. At least that gives some kind of extra level of protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Barnes has been one of the best refs so far, so I'm well up for that. And politically he's obviously a no-go for New Zealand v France anyway. At this stage (except Garces) they're all doing pretty well most of the time on most things: it's the citing board which is weird as gently caress.