Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So basically Rhys Priestland is like Stephen Donald except he'll never have that moment of redemption that becomes legendary like Beaver did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

goatface posted:

Are they doing concurrent war dances this year? I can't remember the last time I saw that.

War dance teams (i.e. ABs, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji) tend to do them one at a time, almost consecutively. The Samoa v. ABs game earlier this year had the visitors doing theirs first, then the home team doing theirs, immediately after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYmiRL9wCE0

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The USA may give the Scots a bit of a hurry-up, but there's no chance they'll beat them either. The Scots will finish with a fairly comfortable scoreline.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tyma posted:

Are you confident enough to bet a picture of Kirk bumming Spock against a naked picture of Sean Lamont?

:toxx:

You are on.

Also, add this to the Australian section of the second post.

Edit: in transfer news, Charles Piutau will be playing for the Wasps until around July next year, after which he'll head over to Ulster. He was set to play for the Blues for the 2016 season, but the NZRU has denied him that.
The Blues have signed 25 year-old former New Zealand Rugby League international Matt Duffie from the Melbourne Storm on a 2-year deal, probably to play at wing/fullback. Duffie was scouted by the Storm in 2008 out of Saint Kentigern College, where he played for the First XV, so he does have some reasonable background in union.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 12, 2015

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So there's a Rugby World Cup sweepstakes at my work. I've ended up with Apollodorus' team, Canada. :qq:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So Eli Walker is out now with a bung hamstring. Gloucester loose forward Ross Moriarty, who earned both of his test caps in the recent warm-ups, has been called up.

Somebody put Tyma on suicide watch.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/34251954

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Changed my team around and renamed it.

Added a couple of players of :japan: plus Richie Gray as the token Scot.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

meat CRime posted:

As far as opening ceremony's go, I've seen better.

Better than the one from 2007. Holy poo poo, that one was bad.

rejutka posted:

gently caress sake dude, how many times have you given a speech, this is bad.

Better than the one from 4 years ago. "Troaty" for gently caress's sake.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 18, 2015

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Genuinely surprised there wasn't a card there. Even that Fijian 6 looks surprised.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

Wtf just happened? Im really confused

Ratuniyarawa went into a ruck shoulder-first. It's stupid and dangerous, and Fiji are killing themselves with poor discipline.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

England sure are getting their money's worth out of Sam Burgess.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

English team are playing like poo poo, and even then Lancaster won't bring him on.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Oh gently caress off, Farrell.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It looks like an opening match against Wales or Australia would have been a bad move for England. They loving sucked.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Where can I see highlights?

Heh. Highlights.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

DickEmery posted:

Someone said Ireland were the 2nd or 3rd best team in the world at the moment and I laughed.
Considering how poo poo the bokke have been I think they might have a point.

Ireland were ranked 2nd in the world a couple of months ago, before they slipped back down due to a loss in the warm-up games.

The Springboks this year have had a fairly awful season.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

goatface posted:

The Springboks don't look like a comfortable side. It's a bit forced.

A fair few of them are coming in cold this game, and they're carrying some senior citizens like Matfield, who has basically done gently caress-all this game outside of lineouts.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

goatface posted:

That big man looks like he's about 10.

Lood de Jager? He looks like that fat guy from the Night's Watch stretched out.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Plucky Brit posted:

So just tuning in to see how much SA are winning by- :stare:

Pretty much exactly what happened with Samoa beat Australia 4 years ago. "What the hell is going on here!?"

South Africa, who are desperately short of form and game time, were caught cold by a team out to prove they are worth a drat.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

South Africa will probably run away with this now, but it'll be a far from convincing 5-point win.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Clit Avoider posted:

Boks are well under cooked. I mean, the obvious strategy was to get up to speed during the group and then be approaching peak as the tournament progresses, but if they keep up like this they're going to be pressing their luck. This is a game they should be winng by 40+ no matter what Japan come out with.

Nice to Burger back at a RWC. Countdown to yellow for him is on...

Thing is, the All Blacks tried this sort of arrogant strategy in 2007 and look where that got them. Meyer should've seen this game as prime ambush territory, and he and the Boks leadership failed to do so, walking right into it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Goromaruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Clit Avoider posted:

Everything aside, Meyer is a loving idiot if he took Eddie Jones too lightly. He's a top coach who knows South Africa inside out - I bet he even knows Matfield's lineout calls.

Yep. If there is one guy who can turn an average team and make them punch well above their weight, it's Eddie Jones. He took an average Wallabies side to a world cup final and came agonisingly close to beating one of the all-time great sides that otherwise seemed destined to win it, for gently caress's sake.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

tarbrush posted:

Didn't know that. But Tonga and Georgia surely aren't

All the teams are owned by the major corporations, and if you're a test rugby star, you'd be getting crazy money.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Holy poo poo!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Fair call by the TMO there. There was simply no way he could make the call.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Thought for a second it was a penalty try there.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

HOLY loving poo poo, THEY DID IT!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Bharatrocity posted:

This was a really fine introduction to your weird little sport

e: can someone explain to me in terms of cricket how big an upset this was?

Japan beating South Africa in cricket.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

goatface posted:

New Zealand play tomorrow and Thursday. Japan get two rests of 8-10 days in the later stages, I think the only team with a stable pattern is England playing every weekend.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Also, France are playing tonight and Wednesday

After the Tier 2 and 3 sides got hosed by scheduling 4 years ago, the Tier 1 sides volunteered to take on the same scheduling to make the playing field a little more level.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

thehoodie posted:

Any highlights from the Japan game up yet? I can't seem to find anything.

World Rugby usually puts the highlights up within a day or so.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Texted my Japanese Mum to let her know the result, turns out she chose to miss the game because she thought it would be a foregone conclusion and why would she get up at, like, 3:30 in the morning to watch Japan get destroyed by the Boks.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So, Japan is the only side with a 100% record against the Springboks.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Swan Curry posted:

If I can find a good picture of a crying Japanese fan Samson Lee's time will be up

https://youtu.be/JXhrwadiFQ4

thehoodie posted:

Any highlights from the Japan game up yet? I can't seem to find anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ghArmsJjQM

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mackers posted:

Uggggh, it's so slow and bad. Guess there will of course be those games too...

France are generally pretty poo poo, and only turn up for one or two games per tournament.

Italy are one of the most negative teams among the Tier 1 sides. Maybe even the most negative.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I just love how delighted the locals are.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

goatface posted:

Hopefully tomorrow is more good games than bad.

Samoa v. USA might be good.
Wales v. Uruguay? A "Japan just beat South Africa" type boilover is unlikely - the Japanese side is basically fully professional, Uruguay is fully amateur.
All Blacks v. Argentina is probably worth getting up for.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

slothrop posted:

Argentina's defense has been amazing. I'm guessing they don't have a short turn-around after this match. I hope not for their bodies.

Argentina next play Georgia on Friday (UK time) - 3:45 in the am on Saturday in New Zealand.

The All Blacks will be playing Namibia on Thursday night, which is actually Friday morning down here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Another one? Jesus, will they even have a team to select by the time the England and Australia games roll around?