Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Super Rugby was so boring this year no one even commented on the final.

I literally forgot it was even on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I missed it because I was on a dinner date with a journalist.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

algebra testes posted:

They only fired deans after the lions tour when they had the money.

Also Deans still better than his successors.

Yep. Deans' tenure has looked better than his successors, at 58.1%, compared to Michael Cheika, who has won 48% of his tests. More damningly, in his tenure to date, Cheika has not been able to get a win percentage in each year in charge other than 2015, where they were drawn against an imploding England team and got lucky against Scotland in the quarters.

That said, just firing Cheika probably won't do anything, because there's the inevitable question - who do you hire? And considering the way Deans was treated, where it seemed like the ARU were just fishing for reasons to fire him starting the day after his appointment, I can't imagine many non-Aussie coaches would want anything to do with the team.

Aramoro posted:

I#m the opposite really, Union is getting more and more competitive at every level, Pro14, Top14, English Prem, Internationals etc are all more fun to watch.

Honestly, when you've got Pacific Island teams and long-term minnow sides like Japan loving up France on their patch, it's usually a good indicator of how competitive the game is.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 27, 2019

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Ban all French refs IMO.

Wallabies deserved to win, but it's absolutely loving galling that the decisive score came off the back of Garces being a gently caress-up of a dumpster fire ref.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So, that's the highest points ever scored against the All Blacks, and just the 6th time they've had 40+ put on them.

The other other teams to achieve this are:
France twice, in 1999 and in 2000
South Africa twice, in 2000 and 2004
Ireland once, in 2016

This is also tied for both the biggest winning margin ever for the Wallabies (21 points, which they also managed in 1999) and the biggest losing margin ever for the All Blacks.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

What was the score when England smashed us?

38-21

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Wrap it up, Ausfailures.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Communist Bear posted:

Strauss was the great experiment that failed spectacularly - he's useless and his attitude by and large stinks (he make it abundantly clear he was only in Glasgow Warriors until he could be confirmed an international, then he hosed off straight away). His train wreck approach doesn't really work anymore because most defences are pretty comfortable with it, especially as he doesn't have a tendency to offload and usually fouls when he's on the ground.

Huw Jones just seems to be going backwards defensive wise, but I think it can be rectified still.

It's a real shame because at one point, Strauss was an excellent loose forward and a potential Springbok-in-waiting.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

If Murray's hurt we're hosed. Proper hosed.

Connor Murray and Rob Kearney.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

What do we have in common with Owen Franks? None of us are going to be playing for the All Blacks at the World Cup, and neither is he.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bigfoot again posted:

Also Laumape, which I find more surprising.

Laumape is unlucky, but he was probably the most vulnerable out of the available midfielders to being dropped.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, but it was a French ref, and according to them, it's only foul play when an All Black does it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It can not be understated how inappropriate it is for a high-level World Rugby official to comment on a team's player selections. Like it or not, Jean Kleyn has done his residency and has earned the right to play for Ireland. It's not Pichot's place to then try to dictate to the teams who he believes they should or shouldn't be selecting.

But then again, Pichot has prior form for being a grandstanding oval office even as a player.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

My opinions generally align with Pichot but he has a real knack of coming across as a complete oval office about everything, especially considering his position in the IRB.

His opinion on the matter is irrelevant and 3 consecutive years is already a significant portion of a player's career. There's also an air of xenophobia about his public statements on the matter, like listing the percentage of players born in the nation they represent regardless of context (I live in New Zealand, but I was born overseas. Does that mean I'm any less of a New Zealand citizen because of that? I know I'm not in any danger of getting called up to the All Blacks any time soon, but I think my point still stands) it is entirely inappropriate for him to be commenting on an individual player's selection. Who the gently caress is he to dictate to any team who they can or can't select from their pool of eligible players?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Yeah they're a load of ballix, ireland were soundly beaten by england and Wales in the 6n but managed to win a couple of warm ups to take number 1? Load of shite.

IMO, rankings should be suspended 2 or 3 months out from the tournament.

To be honest though, I don't know if anyone gives a poo poo about them at the moment anyway.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

McCaw has stated that the 2011 World Cup campaign was a miserable slog, and has no memory of the post-match ceremony 8 years ago.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Warren Gatland's balls.

https://twitter.com/JamieWall2/status/1173486874083483648

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I've done a write up for the French, will get the No Folaus Club done soon.