Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Chris Robshaw would probably not appreciate being confused with Chris Ashton. Just saying.

But seriously, GREAT writeup. Spot on about everything. Glad the USA Eagles of America are getting their due :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

goatface posted:

Also, I have just realised that my friends' wedding is on the 10th of October. Welp.

How do you know my sister?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I dunno, a lot of Italians I've asked aren't all that crazy about it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Vaders Jester posted:

Just finished watching the Pacific Warriors documentary about Samoa, Fiji and Tonga's relationship with rugby and how they play. Really good and I highly recommend folks watch it. Almost makes me want to see Samoa win the group :)

Where could one watch it?

I'm in the US but my computer can be in London, if it's on UK Netflix.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
HOLY poo poo JAPAN

:captainpop:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Guys I'm scared now. Japan beat South Africa, I can only assume the worst for what will happen to the Eagles when Japan plays USA.

At least with Pearl Harbor we had the excuse of not seeing it coming.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
My pay per view service, the only way to legally watch this game here in the States, is not working. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Phobeste posted:

It's on universal sports. Where you can also see a way way way too long visit London commercial featuring carlin isles loving around at the beach and destroying some nerd in volleyball

Ah indeed. Except I do not have cable TV 😞

I do however have a web browser on my laptop...

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

stavros880 posted:

Ngwenya really needs to learn how/when to pass

Jfc this.

This is why it is so frustrating to be a USA fan. Just can't get the rugby to happen.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Smorgasbord posted:

I don't like this ref.

He's made some pretty bullshit calls against the USA for sure. Early in the game he called play on for a late hit against McGinty chasing his own kick and then immediately called a penalty when the U.S. players stood their ground on a Samoa chip and chase.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Dammit AJ. You could have made that.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Argh. Chris why did you kick possession away there? At least try to get the losing bonus point!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I can't believe I spent 200 freedom dollars on a pay per view service that can't even make it to the second full day of the RWC before giving out.

We in the USA can't even do WATCHING rugby correctly.

That being said, you can now stream in HD on universalsports.com because they're just putting it up for free.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
That was the old haka.

Getting ready for The Wayne Barnes ExperienceTM

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

America is bad and should feel bad

Something like 20+ missed tackles

Great shame.

BTW I bet Todd Clever is chilling out and watching football at home.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
gently caress yeah this is a game now.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Come on Argentina no stupid penalties. Japan is your role model this time not America.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Knocking the ball on from a quick tap. Wow that is bush league stuff.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Nothing really surprising to be honest. It was always going to be ABs and Pumas out of the pool.

Pumas look like they can beat just about anyone else though. If they can keep this form into the quarters.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Just got around to reading about Michael Leitch. What a story! Just goes to show that study abroad is a really good idea.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
So frustrated that I have to miss Scotland/Japan live because it is being played during my class. Fortunately I can watch it on replay that evening, but it means avoiding spoilers all day.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Speaking of which, I will almost certainly be sporting a David Denton avatar after the Scots go to town on USA later in the round.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Jerusalem posted:

Keep your eyes on the ground, because if there are any Japanese people where you live they might be getting paraded around on people's shoulders as you head home.

All the East Asian people where I live are Chinese, no worries.

Seriously though someone who means well and knows I like rugby is going to see the result in some sidebar link on ESPN.com or whatever and say "hey did you hear that [scotland or japan] beat [japan or scotland]???"

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Not sure I should even bother watching that game. Though I do like me some Burger.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I think SBW should be the starting 12 in the next tough ABs match. He offered so much more than Nonu in the Argentina game--I would even argue that if Nonu finishes the game or SBW doesn't come on until minute 70 or w/e the Pumas beat them.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

The Clit Avoider posted:

Super rugby: Eddie Jones has been confirmed as Stormers coach :getin:

Going to be fun coaching JdV--is he still going to be playing there?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

tarbrush posted:

England have apparently dropped Ford for the Wales game.

Farrell-Barritt-Burgess 10-12. :barf:

HAHAHAHA so wonderful

Can't wait to see what England do for Australia.

OTOH England may just think Wales has lost too many players to be a serious threat, which honestly is not that bad a theory under which to operate.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

The Clit Avoider posted:

I mean, a large part of the Bok's problems against against Japan was the complete lack of plan B. Everything relied on expansive moves from the backs - no crash ball, except when forwards dropped in, and everything was about possession rather than position (which is uh, antithesis to SA rugby: usually it is possession & position, or position & pressure). JdV has usually been the man who decides what's happening past 10, and he didn't seem to be making many, if any, calls to impose himself. And he got the big ones (kick for points/tries) wrong. Not enough rugby...

Yeah, exactly. But let's give Japan credit - they (specifically Eddie Jones) knew that SA were going to play like that, and specifically targeted the Boks' gameplan to deny them the opportunity to play their game. And in the process, they played some thrilling, crowd-pleasing rugby in which the fact that they kicked a bunch of points didn't seem to undermine the exciting nature of their play.

Holy poo poo that game was so good, I feel like I need to watch it again.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Gaah Scotland you jerks.

Japan were clearly just tired out, too tired to make their very attractive and quick ball-in-hand rugby work. You could see a number of great breakaways that happened in the first half, where if they had just a little more energy or focus they would have scored several tries.

If I read it right, Japan have 10 days until they play Samoa, who almost lost to the USA and whom Japan on a week and a half rest can probably beat; meanwhile Scotland have a short turnaround against USA, then long turnarounds against SA and Samoa.

So...if USA beat Scotland, that means Japan is probably going to the quarterfinals, right? Because if we're going to win a game, Sunday would be our chance.

Alternatively, we beat them up enough that Samoa can pull out a win.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
England were clearly encroaching in the tunnel there, wtf

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
gently caress you Garces. Trying to cover your bad call by awarding a penalty.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
God dammit that was clearly a knock on by Brown. I did NOT expect to be saying this but the best reffing today has been by Wayne Barnes.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I don't know if Wales can survive winning any more matches. Predicting them to beat Australia with 14 men left standing on the field.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Really glad I decided SA vs Samoa would be the match to skip watching today.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Mr Chips posted:

Is there any alternative to ITV for streaming online? I've signed up and so far it's been 6 minutes of ads, and nothing else. I can watch other ITV shows, however.

edit: hooray, 8 minutes of land rover ads before getting to see a the footy.

rwc2015ppv.com

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
So the USA team to play Scotland today is actually somewhat more experienced in international rugby than the Scots. Plus the Scots have had only 4 days to rest from the Japan game. Thus the Eagles should manage to lose by only 10-15 points! :shepicide:

Seriously though today is the only time I will not want to fly over the pond and strangle any England fans in the stands at a non-England game, because cheering against Scotland equals cheering for USA.

Looking up good Dave Denton pics for my :toxx: avatar now.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Lol what r line out

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I think this game is going to consist of USA constantly screwing up every facet of the game while Scotland screw up almost every facet.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
That was the only kind of try this game deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
So 20 minutes that's both halves of a sevens tournament final so that means we won right?

E: since that's the only kind of rugby we are actually good at