Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Since Group A will probably revert to this, it's a good idea to remind us what rugby is really all about.

Oh and let's all remember no team has ever won the 3N (now Rugby Championship) and RWC the same year. Well done Wobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

puchu posted:

All Blacks fan here checking in and ready to melt down when we lose in the semi finals or whatever

A quarter final against France in Cardiff is entirely possible.

Wayne Barnes is polishing his whistle...

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
You know as much as I want the RWC to be a glorious spectacle of free flowing rugby, tries and excellent defences countered only by superlative attacking ingenuity...

I look at Group A, and deep down, in my heart of hearts (and a large part of my mind to be honest), I want nothing more than to see Wales and Fiji resort to Smashed Em Bro rugby against England, leaving them to limp through into a quarter final where they get annihilated against die bokke in front of their own crowd.

As Andy Robinson once continually gibbered to himself in the stands of Murrayfield: Pass, or do not, there is no try.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Exactly the sort of opening game this world cup needed. Now we might get a few days rest from "WHO'S MOST LIKELY TO WIN THE WORLD CUP [ENGLAND 37%]" . The inquest is probably beginning now in media backrooms across London.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Boks are well under cooked. I mean, the obvious strategy was to get up to speed during the group and then be approaching peak as the tournament progresses, but if they keep up like this they're going to be pressing their luck. This is a game they should be winng by 40+ no matter what Japan come out with.

Nice to Burger back at a RWC. Countdown to yellow for him is on...

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Vagabundo posted:

Thing is, the All Blacks tried this sort of arrogant strategy in 2007 and look where that got them. Meyer should've seen this game as prime ambush territory, and he and the Boks leadership failed to do so, walking right into it.

Aside from the standard "Meyer listens to no one but himself" (see, eg. Brüssow), there's probably the argument that you don't want an aged squad playing as much as everyone else. I'm sure the usual heads will rear up about transformation etc, but that's a non-factor in this performance.

Everything aside, Meyer is a loving idiot if he took Eddie Jones too lightly. He's a top coach who knows South Africa inside out - I bet he even knows Matfield's lineout calls.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
:lol::lol::lol:

It's times like this I wish Keo was still around in its old format.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Super rugby: Eddie Jones has been confirmed as Stormers coach :getin:

I reckon that All Blacks lineup will have absolutely no problem putting 80+ on Namibia, if they want to. France-Romania and Argentina-Georgia will also be blow outs, but probably nothing like that magnitude.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Apollodorus posted:

Going to be fun coaching JdV--is he still going to be playing there?

We'll see - odds point to yes, currently.

He's supposed to be retiring from Springbok selection (although tbh, I doubt he'll need to make himself unavailable).
One thing to remember is that although he's an elder statesman no matter what, he's currently playing after having his jaw wired shut for weeks and dropping 6-8kg in weight; so he appears a lot more frail than usual. It's a real problem when he's usually the man to crash the ball from the middle.

I mean, a large part of the Bok's problems against against Japan was the complete lack of plan B. Everything relied on expansive moves from the backs - no crash ball, except when forwards dropped in, and everything was about possession rather than position (which is uh, antithesis to SA rugby: usually it is possession & position, or position & pressure). JdV has usually been the man who decides what's happening past 10, and he didn't seem to be making many, if any, calls to impose himself. And he got the big ones (kick for points/tries) wrong. Not enough rugby...

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
England's coaching and general "rugby sense" is questionable from top to bottom. From the selections, to the tactics, to the decisions. They're back to where they were for almost a decade with having a devastating back three and blackholes in the centres. Nothing learned.
Even ignoring all the mistakes they made on the pitch they were one decision away that had them the opportunity of either a win or a draw.

They should have known going in that given the status of bonus point wins between the three teams vying for the two berths, and the games left, that a draw left them in much the same position as a win would have. And a loss left them at sea.

Their captain should have known that the percentage play there is to take the kick. Even if you miss, you have time and position to attempt another. He should know this simply because it's something drilled into rugby players from youth level to test level. He should know because it's a decision he has made mistakes on previously.
Even if you ignore all of that, and think that maybe, in the heat of the moment, in the aftermath of Japan's effort, that a kick to touch was the right idea, you do not throw to no2 in the resulting lineout. You throw deep, and set back so if the maul fails you can at least drop one over. This is basic, basic stuff.

I just genuinely hope that Englands illegal scrumming gets picked up on in their matches too, so even more of their decision making unravels them.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Hier kom...

Springboks - 15 Willie le Roux, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Handré Pollard, 9 Fourie du Preez ©, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Schalk Burger, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Beast Mtawarira.
Subs: 16 Adriaan Strauss, 17 Trevor Nyakane, 18 Frans Malherbe, 19 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 20 Willem Alberts, 21 Ruan Pienaar, 22 Pat Lambie, 23 Jan Serfontein.

Scotland: 15 Stuart Hogg, 14 Tommy Seymour, 13 Richie Vernon, 12 Matt Scott, 11 Tim Visser, 10 Duncan Weir, 9 Greg Laidlaw, 8 Dave Denton, 7 Blair Cowan, 6 Josh Strauss, 5 Johnny Gray, 4 Richie Gray, 3 Willem Nel, 2 Fraser Brown, 1 Gordon Reid.
Subs: 16 Ross Ford, 17 Alastair Dickinson, 18 Jon Welsh, 19 Tim Swinson, 20 Ryan Wilson, 21 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, 22 Peter Horne, 23 Sean Lamont.

Christ.

This could be on-field murder.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Roman Poite is one of the worst loving scrum refs on the planet (anyone who just goes with the "they look dominant" technique falls in here). Guess what, Garces is too.

I love this poo poo about the hooker trying to hook the ball. Nobody does that - they compact the opposite fucker's spine sideways and upwards and then move the whole mess any which way they like, while their halfback funnels the ball right back through his own pack. A referee like Poite sees that on your own scrum for the first few turns, and then sees you just turn the scrum (by literally driving laterally) on your opponents ball once or twice and he doesn't care (or know, for that matter) how you're doing it, you're "dominant" and it's penalty city.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
What a great day. That's all really.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

stavros880 posted:

This is what I don't understand. England have finally found a dangerous back three, but seem to insist on picking centres that refuse to (or simply can't) give them the ball.

England do not trust expansive rugby. Seriously, their game for almost the last two decades is basically taking the worst elements of skop en jag and marring them together with a distrust of the breakdown.

They're also a reactionary team - you can pretty much go back to England's squad for the tournament and see that the centre pairings were picked based upon the fact they would be facing (or expected to face) an "oversized" Welsh centre and wing.

butros posted:

Seems like a lot for a game with, as Miles Harrison puts it, "no significance."

Or a fair price to watch the funeral of English Rugby :getin:

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
The Red Rose of Lancaster...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Whiplash as chariot unexpectedly swings low/All England Wanking Contest finals?

I don't think Hooper will/should be cited. The absolute worst he'd get is a warning. He might have went in like Dr. Jannie, but usually you get a warning for the first offence on the pitch anyway (which is what he got). It was a great piece of tactical bashing anyway - he wound an already amped up and making mistakes fullback up even more.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Byolante posted:

Citing that is saying 'we don't want the break down to be contested'

How are you meant to clear out a filthy phil waugh impersonator without doing something like that.

Oh no doubt. Personally I'm a big fan of watching the patented "bakkies" clear-out of 6ft 7 odd inches of human missile making no effort to do anything but clear the man, but apparently that maims people/stops people from enjoying their english/lions petals playing.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

fallingdownjoe posted:

That half time analysis may have hit a new low for Inverdale. A fun game with two teams who want to win, and all we get is a sad man talking about broken dreams. In a week when they're talking about how the crowds have been less excitable since England went out, I hope Inverdale has a brief moment of self-reflection.

During or after fitting the noose?

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
They'll still be saying that anyway. When any of the SH sides stumble a bit or just scrape through (or even just play another NH side), you'll hear how England might have made them pay there, or if France do well we'll all be reminded of how England were "well ahead of them" in the 6N. Expect to hear about some victory England scraped over New Zealand so far back in the memory nobody with a brain gives it any credence as well.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Look, forget about who was or wasn't selected. The fact is England are not and were not contenders. That's where the creation of the narrative lies. Sure, going out as host nation is embarrassing and a first, but the fact is, England are a mediocre team. I know it sounds arrogant (oh the irony) or even just easy to say in hindsight, but I never considered them in the running at all, and thought about putting money on them going out in the groups until the Welsh injury bingo started.

The fact they couldn't seize on that to at least take second says it all. But hey, they've still got the most bonus points in group A, that counts for something right?

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Hmmm. Has to have been Rowntree and Farrell?

Stephen Jones has went into full Lord Bald overdrive in the times, it's hilarious and glorious, do read it.

Highlights:

quote:

Many people still have no idea how special a man Woodward is and it would be no exaggeration to say that England’s ghastly reluctance to honour him and to recognise his matchless achievements has cost them up to three World Cups and a great deal of their global standing

That doesn't even deserve words.

quote:

great players usually kept in the realms of outer darkness — Messrs Cipriani, Attwood, Delon and Steffon Armitage, James Haskell, Luther Burrell, Alex Goode

Cipriani???! Haskell?? :lol::lol::lol: I remember him recently bumbling around super rugby like some twerp fresh out a gym who didn't have a clue where to put his head in, what/where/when the breakdown was, and was genuinely afraid of taking a hit. Let's not even talk about his supposed ball skills. The man's a conditioning coach, not a rugby player.

quote:

Lancaster, like every coach in every era, promised a bold England style, playing to an overall structure but then with the players given licence to leap off and use their talents and individual judgments to attack.

This is true, but actually avoids addressing what made England successful in the past - the rules that allowed their old structures to be so dominant have changed, and England haven't. Meanwhile, they've tried to play SH rugby in the backs without any of the flair or ball handling skills that would allow them to do so. Complaining about under/over coached backs is pointless - they haven't got the cattle for the pens they're trying to fill. England revert to boring rugby when they're successful because it is what makes them successful (ie. it is low-skill based), but because they haven't adjusted to post-2003 rule changes, they're nowhere near as good at it as they once were.

quote:

if the best player in England is 40 years old, they should pick him

But what if he plays for Toulon? Or just retired from Toulon??? Jonny!!!!?

quote:

But a few drinks? A late-night escapade or two? A blast in the press that was not media-managed? Those are surely the small price you pay for men of character, colour, authority and individuality.

England of 2015 were conformist, and an amorphous lump of white.

Big lumps of white never did Dallaglio any harm.

Remember folks, ENGLAND EXPECTS.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

goatface posted:

I wonder which team they support.

Japan probably. Tuilagi, as always in a major competition, has probably spent more time making sure he's looking good or putting in a big hit for the camera (that usually results in a missed tackle) than actually playing rugby.

I'm struggling to think of the last time I saw him play well for Samoa.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
France aren't beating anyone of any merit with that lineout. And they've far too many in that backline who simply cannot be relied upon to defend - Picamoles and others spent most of the second half covering tackles and positions that should've been filled by a centre, half back or fly-half. Everyone praises Dusautoir (and rightfully so) for his work at the breakdown, but he's literally a one-man show with others only really showing up when it's their own ball. Their scrum just got demolished too.

France cannot start Michalak and Bastareux against the All Blacks, the game will be over on the scoreboard before they can sub them off.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Schlesische posted:

Also, it's Australia, and it's Scotland.
I fully believe the Wallabies are capable of crashing out at this stage to a team that on the balance of things probably shouldn't be here.

On the balance of things? If Japan had went out after winning more games than Scotland you might have a point, but the fact is, they didn't. Scotland may be the weakest team in the Quarter Finals, but they are there on merit.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

dex_sda posted:

and an advantageous schedule

But this is the thing - the schedule was made on the basis of the draw: at the time of the draw, Scotland are the third seeded team in that group, expected to finish below Samoa, and were scheduled to play the Boks then Samoa. You can point to Samoa's absolute implosion until their final game just as much as you can the schedule as the reason the group turned out the way it did. This happens every RWC when people scream about a tier 2 team playing two tier 1 teams in succession with short turn around - but this time around, the fact is, Scotland were drawn in that group as a tier 2 team.

Btw for the record, despite world rankings, Japan has more registered rugby players, more senior rugby players and (many) more professional teams with (much) more investment than Scotland.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Japan also had the option of resting their starters against the Boks and targeting Scotland as their "first" match. If they'd done that, and won, Scotland would've faced the USA after four days rest knowing they might well need BP wins against them and Samoa and to pick up something from die Bokke.

The only team that did not have to deal with a 4-day turnaround and all the squad management/strategy it entails at some point was England (:lol: )

Oh and Scotland's other win against the Wobs was in Newcastle in a torrential downpour. You can discount both wins.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Japan will probably stay around there/rise over the next few years. The introduction of super rugby, large player base, and already massive investment from the likes of Kobe Steel, Toyota, Toshiba etc in the 14 team league means they have a solid platform to build from. The fact they're hosting the next RWC is also a big boon.

They're also a relatively youthful team (with a few exceptions) and should retain a number of players with (good) experience going forward.

Italy btw, are a side on the opposite trajectory when it comes to age and promising players.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
The incident both Scots were cited for would've been referred by anyone else too, so there's always that.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I can only assume Garces is being given a match now so they can placate him later by telling him he had a QF. Because gently caress me, one of those appointments is not like the others.

Barnes' appointment might help Wales - they're used to his style, and his view of breakdown contests. Joubert is probably going to yellow a Scot within 25min. Oh and look forward to Owens telling Veldsman to stop trying to ref the game himself.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Just when people thought Savea was having a quiet tournament.

New Zealand aren't just beating France, they are breaking them.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Both England and France making history this tournament. The clubs that rule the nations will be proud :getin:

Although seriously, if the results across the board don't prompt a restructuring, I think they're both (France more so than England) pretty much gone as genuine contenders for a long, long time.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

The Clit Avoider posted:

I can only assume Garces is being given a match now so they can placate him later by telling him he had a QF. Because gently caress me, one of those appointments is not like the others.

Hey look it's me, making a call everyone but the referee selection panel could see. Would think Argentina would've won that anyway, but christ that was an awful display, he even managed to disrupt both team's backlines on multiple occasions.

[edit] Btw, that might be the worst scrum reffing the world cup has ever seen.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 18, 2015

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

CyberPingu posted:

If argentina had to play the last 20 minutes with 14 men...no they would have lost

Penalty alone for that idiotic clear out was actually probably the right call. I've seen much worse not even receive the penalty.

Ireland had a brief period where if they'd just played for territory instead of points they'd have had a real chance because Argentina could not stop infringing/making mistakes, but in the end they just couldn't create anything - both of Ireland's scores came from opportunistic and predatory play by one player. The backline was too flat, the drift defense missed too often and the ball in/throw hands play was slow. None of that is down to Garces.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

CyberPingu posted:

Diving in head first with no attempt to use his arms is just a penalty :psypop:

He wrapped his left arm round his own man. You might have missed it, and it was a derisory effort, but under the laws of the game, he did exactly the minimum necessary.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

If it was any other player on the pitch though it would've been a yellow. You can see the panic in Garces face when he sees it, he just doesn't have the balls to produce the second yellow and send the man off.

Sure he doesn't, but you heard the TMO give him an out by saying he used an arm. The second he says that it goes from being an easy decision to a really grey area - if he gives the card he's just as likely to get castigated for it as he is if he doesn't, the difference is the rules protect him if he doesn't.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Scotland in playing to level of opposition shocker, Australia reverting to stereotype and falling apart at the scrum coupled with kicking badly.
Pocock's absence is pretty obvious.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Good old Scottish hard luck story. See that bit in the first post about "how it feels to be a Scotland fan"? It's been pretty much distilled by that game, picture that disappointment, but then go past it to the point where you're numb to it because you've seen it so many times before, and in fact, after the try was scored were actively beginning to wonder just how it would inevitably go wrong.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
This sort of thing happens. Joubert made a call based on how he saw things and was wrong. Happens, and just the game before people were slating Garces for not making the hard decisions. It's just one of those things - the yellow card on Maitland was probably a bit harsh as well, but on that occasion he was led into the decision by his TMO, something many people examining that particular decision are overlooking. It was just one of those games - he made some drat nice calls at points too: asking the TMO to examine a knock-on at the back of a ruck leading to an Australian non-try at one point.

At the end of the day, Scotland should never have given him the cause to blow his whistle for anything but the end of the game from that lineout. The margins at the top table are so thin that mistakes and sloppiness like that are always going to be punished one way or another.

I'm actually more annoyed at WR publicly hanging him out to dry than I am at his performance. Paddy O'Brien pulled this poo poo years ago and was forced into an embarrassing climbdown and apology, but this time the statement hasn't even been issued with a name to stand by it. By all means clarify to Joubert in person that he got the call wrong, and perhaps explain to coaching staff in private. But a public statement that essentially leaves him a marked man in the media is not what's best for the game. As great as the advent of the TMO is, the referee's job has become exponentially more difficult on the calls he cannot refer to him, because the majority of the public do not realise the restrictions surrounding his use. There's been some tremendously poo poo calls at this RWC, and they've only been highlighted further by some of the better TMO interventions surrounding them, this really isn't the time to be driving away potential future referees, or discouraging current match officials. This isn't 10 years ago when you had Kaplan, Mark Lawrence, Walsh etc, it's basically Owens on his own at the top.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Seriously? You don't think it's worth it if you've no side to take?

I've got up at/stayed up to stupid o' clock on plenty of occasions to watch super rugby finals when I don't care who wins. If the game itself promises a good spectacle that's enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Rate players through 1-26?

Yeah. Might as well have stopped reading the article there, that's from the David Brent school of man management.