Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Aramoro posted:

He just says the Dragons are terrible which is just a statement of fact isn't it?

In a video about Russia. Context. I know how bad my team is I don't need insightful and painfully accurate observations by a youtube personality :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

Just be glad you're not a Scotland fan as well then.

ngl not looking forward to post-Gatland Wales.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Mr Chips posted:

The retelling of the story of Russia's qualification is hilarious though

Oh it was amazing.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Late to the party but how the gently caress has Cheika still got a job?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

They can't afford to sack him.

Think it might be worth taking out a loan.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Aramoro posted:

I#m the opposite really, Union is getting more and more competitive at every level, Pro14, Top14, English Prem, Internationals etc are all more fun to watch.

Yes, from what I've seen of the Pro14 and English prem (haven't seen any top 14) as well as Champion's Cup there has been some really excellent rugby played.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Good to see Japan looking strong. Rolled Fiji last week and beat Tonga 41-7 this week. They're taking the Pacific cup baby!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah, not sure why they kept him on after he took that knock, especially in a warm up.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Holding onto that No1 spot a little longer.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

HappyCamperGL posted:

ok so wales are actually world no 1 now?

The BBC have said they are so that confirms it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Shocker from Scotland, you lads haven't been defending well recently.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

What is up with Scotland's defence, it's a shambles?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tyma posted:

World Cup Thread

Ok goons, a lot of the squads are out, so my plan is to have the new thread ready to post on the 15th September, and then keep to high effort posting for the first few days, before the tournament starts, and we all turn to poo poo-posting :neckbeard:

If you have adopted a new country to write about / support / lovingly tattoo onto your body, then please send me a write-up via PMs or via email (awfultyma@gmail.com). Let me know which 3 dudes you want me to use in the header image (If you don't specify, then I usually use the captain, fly-half and most likely try scorer)

-

Example Writeup

As of writing, Wales are officially The Best Team In The World. They reached this incredible achievement, by beating a series of 13 “kind of bad” teams. Basically, the rugby equivalent of reaching the maximum level in World Of Warcraft, by sitting in one spot for over 2 years, and killing a never ending supply of level 1 boars.

When it comes to playing against “kind of good” teams, Wales have a horrible history against Southern Hemisphere teams. The last World Cup saw them knocked out by Australia and South Africa, before going on a lovely Summer Tour of New Zealand, where they lost all 5 games, and were humiliated by a club side. They also tend to lose whenever they have to play a game at any altitude above sea level.

.. But they are still The Best Team In The World, honestly!

Captaining Wales this time around will be Alun Wyn Jones. He's basically an android, that's built to play Rugby. He can jump, he can catch, he can tackle someone in such a way that they have to leave the pitch for the remainder of the game. The only thing Alun Wyn struggles with is comprehending the emotions of the weak humans that he must play rugby against. He's definitely someone you should be supporting if you're already a fan of Kimi Raikonen, Data from Star Trek, or you just enjoy watching post-match interviews where he stares grumpily at a wall, and refuses to answer any questions.

Wales' second key player is probably fly-half Dan Biggar. Unlike his captain, Dan Biggar has a lot of strong emotions, and he's constantly exhibiting one of them with all of the tact and calm of a bad guy in a Looney Tunes cartoon. Dan's emotions of choice are anger, confusion, determination and frustration. He became a running meme in the previous World Cup, when Youtube realized that kicking penalties made him really nervous, and the only way to sufficiently calm down was to perform an elaborate dance routine in the middle of the pitch.

If you plan to follow Wales this year, then get prepared for a loving roller-coaster. Despite being The Best Team In The World, most bookmakers don't have them in the top 5. Without any superstar try scorers, or fancy tricks in the bag, Wales are powered by an incredible fitness routine, an unbreakable defense, a stirring national anthem, and the fear of what Alun Wyn Jones will do to anyone who dares to gently caress this one up.

God I forgot I agreed to do this, time to find out what Japanese rugby is all about. Also can you change it to Alun-Wyn Jones? I've seen far too many people call him Wyn-Jones and to be honest it's starting to trigger me.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tyma posted:

Where does it say that? I'm not sure why anyone would hyphenate it, Wyn is just a really common middle name.

The man himself hyphenate it. I've seen a lot of non Welsh people spell it Wyn-Jones. Mostly in posts on other forums or comments on news reports, BBC comments sections and especially when you have those "pick your Lions team based on the 2019 6N" etc.. I'm only joking obviously but seeing it always makes me think how often I probably gently caress up writing foreign names.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 31, 2019

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ah Agustín Pichot I didn't know you posted here, welcome aboard.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

Might need to rewrite some of this.

Nope, still fine.

EDIT: I was wrong a rewrite is needed, for now.

EDIT 2: This by Toner though.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 31, 2019

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah really sad news and to go so young. RIP.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Total Meatlove posted:

That was the most dominant performance by a team losing 37-0 since whenever Scotland last Scotlanded. :confused:

And Youngs as MOTM, loving amazing.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kitchner posted:

Also going back a bit to the Wales description for the World Cup thread, can I say anyone who thinks Alun-Wyn Jones is an android hasn't watched that video of him with that kid (who frankly looked really ill) after the friendly against England where he snuck him onto the pitch and gave him a ball and let him run for a little bit. Or that time the child mascot that follows the team onto the pitch was clearly freezing so he gave the kid he own coat.

The guy is a heart of gold encased in a stone exterior.

Even an android can cry.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

So Gareth Thomas has HIV, but seems to be handling it well

quote:

Former Wales rugby captain Gareth Thomas has revealed he is HIV positive, saying he wants to "break the stigma" around the condition.

He said he wants to show how people with HIV are misrepresented as "walking around with walking sticks who are close to dying".

He has also spoken about "shame" and "fear" of keeping his condition secret.

Other than waking at 06:00 to take a single pill every day and visiting the hospital for blood tests every six months, the condition has little impact on day-to-day life for Thomas.

On the contrary, he is taking part in an Ironman challenge on Sunday, which has involved him learning to swim, which to Thomas was a way of demonstrating his physical and mental strength.

Good on him for trying to dispel some of the ignorance surrounding HIV.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Sometimes you have to do something unorthodox for comfort.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tyma posted:

Scotland's literal best player, David Denton retires, age 29 :psyduck:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49712831

Like Warburton, good choice. There is a lot of life beyond rugby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XzKxa7MWf4