Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kms
Sep 2, 2014

cats, 69, 420, lgw, WoW sucks but I keep coming back, just payed five dollars for this
Warlocks, druids and dwarf priests are normally the neglected class. Also we need a dedicated MT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I don't see the server in the options on Nostalrius. Is it not out yet? If it is, I'm making a Dwarf Priest.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!

CommaToes posted:

I don't see the server in the options on Nostalrius. Is it not out yet? If it is, I'm making a Dwarf Priest.

No, still no release date yet.

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
My list of what I'd like to roll probably greatly differs from what is actually needed.

Ideally, I'd love to roll a rogue for nostalgic reasons in that I put 100+ days into my vanilla rogue back in the day and I can whip out all my old spreadsheets again.

I did level a Dwarf priest as an alternative so I wouldn't mind rolling one if I went the healer route.

I'd like a warrior, I'd rather tank but I'd still want an option of running DPS or at least 2h PvP action.

I'd say paladin, but you were really only good as a healer, not fantastic at PvP and couldn't really tank either and leveling is auto attack city with judgement casts.

Then there's the unknowns of caster classes (mage/warlock) or druid to inevitably heal, or being a hunter that seemed to be a pull and tranquil shot and never really did stellar DPS. But they were the most annoying class to fight as a rogue, but with this being a PvE server, I wouldn't have to worry about that as much.

I know there's the "play what you want" but with the other guilds were people left out and put on the bench while. Ore desired classes were picked? I'd hate to put effort in leveling a rogue to be fighting for 5 spots against 10 rogues.

The unknowns are classes

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dwarf Priest is the only worthwhile Priest option. If you want to be a Priest, please go for that.

Other than that, really, until we get to 60, I doubt class composition is going to matter too much. Personally, I'm always going Mage, so...

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I never could get a good handle on fury warriors back then, I always went arms (and I think it was viable too?). I do remember my friend having a dwarf priest and being treated like royalty because of it.

Personally I was never fantastic at caster classes, rogue and warrior were always my favorite but I did enjoy hunter when I tried that out. Might do that to try and nab me a devilsaur pet. Or that rare wolf in duskwood who did shadow damage that ignored armor (if it hasn't been fixed in this version).

Kms
Sep 2, 2014

cats, 69, 420, lgw, WoW sucks but I keep coming back, just payed five dollars for this

Billy Elliot posted:

I'd say paladin, but you were really only good as a healer, not fantastic at PvP and couldn't really tank either and leveling is auto attack city with judgement casts.

Paladins are amazing healers, amazing support class for PvP and pretty drat good tanks as well. Yeah we don't have taunt but we can still hold our own tank wise if you know what you're doing. You're correct on autoattack leveling.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I leveled a druid on ED, and liked it, but when time came to do dungeons and raids, raid times were two hours earlier than I got off work, so I was kinda screwed in joining in. I hope there are some PST raids on this server. I liked leveling a druid, would do again.

Also: http://imgur.com/aL9CUqk

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
Oh if I go priest it will be a dwarf indeed for fear ward.

I guess Paladin tanks weren't a thing in our guild until we tried them for giggles, but kept warriors. Wasn't it more paladin tanks were good AoE/trash? Or could they hold well enough for single target?

We had a wicked PvP pocket Paladin back in the day. When you had a warrior attached at your hip, you were unstoppable. Try to outsell the paladin and kill the warrior meant you died, try to kill the paladin and between bubbles, plate armor and that same warrior beating on you, you were in a lose/lose situation.

Is there any rough idea when/if this PvE server is coming up? I've got a decent time commitment and a big crunch time mid October that I might just dissappear for a week, but I don't see myself playing all poopsock unless I got someone who can level with me. I might just be a filthy casual like I was on Rebirth and ED.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Billy Elliot posted:

Is there any rough idea when/if this PvE server is coming up? I've got a decent time commitment and a big crunch time mid October that I might just dissappear for a week, but I don't see myself playing all poopsock unless I got someone who can level with me. I might just be a filthy casual like I was on Rebirth and ED.

One of the admins said today: "With the BWL release every team is pretty busy but *something* is coming this week regarding the PvE Server."

I'm assuming the something will be an announcement, so hopefully they don't say "next year" but will say the pve server opens soon! I am a filthy casual but will jump on the bandwagon. I think we'll be looking at some issues with a 2500 person queue, but hopefully they will get that sorted out.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Desmond posted:

One of the admins said today: "With the BWL release every team is pretty busy but *something* is coming this week regarding the PvE Server."

I'm assuming the something will be an announcement, so hopefully they don't say "next year" but will say the pve server opens soon! I am a filthy casual but will jump on the bandwagon. I think we'll be looking at some issues with a 2500 person queue, but hopefully they will get that sorted out.

All the queues I've seen on the PvP server are right after server crashes and so on, and it processes 2500 in 2 minutes or something. I know that I've been in position 600 after a crash, and got in in 10 seconds, no issue.

It's more of a small bottleneck than an actual queue, but the PvP server IS overpopulated.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Serperoth posted:

All the queues I've seen on the PvP server are right after server crashes and so on, and it processes 2500 in 2 minutes or something. I know that I've been in position 600 after a crash, and got in in 10 seconds, no issue.

It's more of a small bottleneck than an actual queue, but the PvP server IS overpopulated.

Oh yeah, their queues seem to go fast. I should have said that, unlike the up to 7,000 people on the pvp server, I believe they are not allowing more than 2500 at a time on the pve one.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Desmond posted:

Oh yeah, their queues seem to go fast. I should have said that, unlike the up to 7,000 people on the pvp server, I believe they are not allowing more than 2500 at a time on the pve one.

Seems like a reasonable number to me. Dunno how accurate it is in relation to retail back in the day, but ~1200 people per side seems good? Gut feeling I guess.

Kms
Sep 2, 2014

Billy Elliot posted:

Oh if I go priest it will be a dwarf indeed for fear ward.

I guess Paladin tanks weren't a thing in our guild until we tried them for giggles, but kept warriors. Wasn't it more paladin tanks were good AoE/trash? Or could they hold well enough for single target?

We had a wicked PvP pocket Paladin back in the day. When you had a warrior attached at your hip, you were unstoppable. Try to outsell the paladin and kill the warrior meant you died, try to kill the paladin and between bubbles, plate armor and that same warrior beating on you, you were in a lose/lose situation.

+1 for dwarf priest,

People don't give prot paladins enough credit because they're too edgy and cling to the first opinion they heard of it. Paladins can MT every boss in Naxx and a lot of other bosses throughout vanilla. Paladins can easily out-threat a warrior and mana is never a problem. Of course you need to know what you're doing, and also a lot of people do not know how to gear a paladin. Specially with the weapon they use. A paladin tank with a awesome +SP Mainhand (like mageblade) will cause a poo poo ton of threat with SoR and autoattacking. How a paladin tanking rotation works. Cast 1 R6 Consecration --> SoR ---> Autoattack/Keep SoR ---> Drink coffee--> Boss dies.There should be enough threat to where you don't even need to worry about losing it + Salv and threat buff helps a ton. (As well as 1 ret paladin w/Holy SP arua)

And yes Paladin pocket healers are fun as hell, I love healing in PvP. I can hear horde raging across the ocean.

The PvE server should be up roughly in a month or so. They are very vague on the timeline but have said on the forums that there will be a update regarding the PvE server by friday.

Kms fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 22, 2015

Irrational Man
Aug 10, 2004
I think paladins are awesome, but they suffer a little from derp people and prima donnas playing them so its part ignorance part bad experiences that cause people to want to ward off any exotic play styles. Its actually quite amazing how when playing on these throwback servers, people's mindsets and level of play actually regress to vanilla era. You would think, knowing what we know now about mechanics, poo poo would be trivially easy, but what has struck me is how people only play just above the absolute bare minimum level required by the game, regardless if its incredibly easy to exceed that standard, such that you are virtually guranteed to wipe to mind bendiningly dumb poo poo over and over. How this relates to paladins is that you'll feel lucky to get a blessing and a heal most the time-- the idea that they can actually tank well is like a roach hotel for bad players, its going to entice more morons than anything. With all that said, you're spot on and nothing beats reckoning bomb pvp healing paladins when played right and likewise anything else a paladin can do under that condition (when played right).

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I guess we shouldn't forget that the server is at 1.12.1, so some balancing has taken place, even though it's a progression server of sorts. Perhaps levelling and questing as Prot at 40+ would be somewhat sufferable. A Ret can tank lower dungeons fine, as far as I recall.

Irrational Man posted:

I think paladins are awesome, but they suffer a little from derp people and prima donnas playing them so its part ignorance part bad experiences that cause people to want to ward off any exotic play styles. Its actually quite amazing how when playing on these throwback servers, people's mindsets and level of play actually regress to vanilla era. You would think, knowing what we know now about mechanics, poo poo would be trivially easy, but what has struck me is how people only play just above the absolute bare minimum level required by the game, regardless if its incredibly easy to exceed that standard, such that you are virtually guranteed to wipe to mind bendiningly dumb poo poo over and over. How this relates to paladins is that you'll feel lucky to get a blessing and a heal most the time-- the idea that they can actually tank well is like a roach hotel for bad players, its going to entice more morons than anything. With all that said, you're spot on and nothing beats reckoning bomb pvp healing paladins when played right and likewise anything else a paladin can do under that condition (when played right).
50% of the challenge of dungeons back in Classic was simply having your group stand back and not attract wandering patrols as you fought each pull. Stand back while I pull, you dummies!

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Nostalrius said that there would be an announcement this week about the pve server. It seems that Stormrage is also working on one. It's a race!

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Desmond posted:

Nostalrius said that there would be an announcement this week about the pve server. It seems that Stormrage is also working on one. It's a race!

So we'll get a repeat of the kronos situation where nost poo poo out a buggy server just to be first and then rush to fix things in the next few weeks.

Numpty
Oct 24, 2006

ARGHHHHHH
Waiting on the PvE server :) was very impressed with the PvP server, the best vanilla experience of the ones i have tried so far.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
I'll probably roll a paladin on this server because I'm a terrible loving person.

So I do hope we end up Alliance.

Kms
Sep 2, 2014

A Tartan Tory posted:

I'll probably roll a paladin on this server because I'm a terrible loving person.

So I do hope we end up Alliance.

We will be alliance.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I'm leaning towards hunter but I'm not sure which is the better race for it? I guess dwarves cause I don't want to run all the way from the tree.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm leaning towards hunter but I'm not sure which is the better race for it? I guess dwarves cause I don't want to run all the way from the tree.

The answer is always dwarves, no matter the class.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

Gun focus doesn't matter much, considering all the best weps are bows and crossbows. Stoneform and frost res are pretty good though.

Only thing going for NE is shadowmeld.

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 26, 2015

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The answer is always dwarves, no matter the class.

Gnomes > dwarves > *

If it wasn't for the sword racial, I would 100% be on board for a gnome rogue or warrior.

The human racial for bonus rep gains is nice if you ever plan to do a rep grind as well.

If you're rolling a priest, if you're not a dwarf for fear ward, you're doing it wrong. If I remember feedback (mana drain on melee hits?) was for humans and starfall or something for NE.

But for paladins, dwarves do look awesome.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I just don't think I could play a paladin without the shield throw talent and improved reckoning.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I was just thinking about playing some WoW again. Now what to roll ...

What was the tank availability like on the PVP server? I'd be willing to roll a warrior, but I play caster's a lot better. My tanking on Rebirth was fine for 5-mans I guess.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

downout posted:

I was just thinking about playing some WoW again. Now what to roll ...

What was the tank availability like on the PVP server? I'd be willing to roll a warrior, but I play caster's a lot better. My tanking on Rebirth was fine for 5-mans I guess.

Seems like tanks for five mans are always in demand. Probably for raids too.

Kms
Sep 2, 2014

Desmond posted:

Seems like tanks for five mans are always in demand. Probably for raids too.

Raid tanks are in very high demand normally. Most warriors are off-spec prot or just bad at tanking.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Sounds like the usual need for tanks. I'll have to think about it.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

They need an email list people can sign up for so we'd know when the server goes up.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

downout posted:

They need an email list people can sign up for so we'd know when the server goes up.

That seems like a cool idea.

But I thought they already had something like that for general Nostalrius news.

VV: A good name.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 27, 2015

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

I demand we call the guild [Effort] because :effort:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

They opened a PvE subforum today

downout
Jul 6, 2009

A Tartan Tory posted:

I demand we call the guild [Effort] because :effort:

It's vanilla so this is very appropriate.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

We've already settled on Alliance (or so it seems), should we get a vote going for the name? Waiting for that announcement soon, PvE forum still got nothing official.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Kms posted:

or just bad at tanking.

Especially gnomes.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DrSeRRoD posted:

Especially gnomes.

Even worse are the ones that absolutely SUCK at tanking (usually Gnomes, often with a name that hints at that like Gnome-AK or whatever), that insist on being a part of stuff that happens. :v:

And now I miss Cleon and Tonydanza. :smith:

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Sep 28, 2015

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
I'm tempted to roll a gnome warrior. Mainly because Tanking a huge dragon as gnome seems hilarious. My fall back is human rogue or dwarf priest. I'd go paladin, but I feel being a priest for healing would be better.

I went on a search for a TBC server and it seems no good ones exist, so a vanilla server is where it's at (at least until I start playing Overwatch).

Billy Elliot fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

I can't decide between Druid or Paladin. :smith:

Also, if I may suggest another guild name, which I suggested for one of our PS2 outfits: [Low Tax Low Effort]. Extra applicable because ya know, D&T.

• Locked thread