Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I just saw this thread and I hope there are some left for me. Everyone's gonna want to do Pirate Data, so I just said I'll do whatever. Somebody else should do the morph ball Space Pirate data, as I'm not worthy for that nugget.

Simply Simon posted:

I think I forgot to sign up initially, so I did it now. It sounds like great fun and this is a great game! Best of success with making the videos, I'm sure it's not easy to assemble everything properly.
My vote goes to this guy because he has one of the best LP voices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Sorry for the delay in updating, everybody. Part of that is me misunderstanding how Skype handles messages when a contact has yet to accept a request, part of it is some people not getting back to me quickly or at all with recordings.

I really need to make this clear: if you sign up, please make sure the contact info you give me is correct, and if I then give you a line, please make sure you do either submit it to me in a timely fashion or tell me that you can't do it, so I can put someone else on that line and you on another. Because I need to wait until I can check the actual scan data to make sure the text of all the scans that I downloaded is accurate, I can't really assign lines more than a few videos ahead at a time. So every time someone signs up and then doesn't say anything, that's several days basically wasted.

I'm doing my best to get scans sorted and assigned as soon as possible to give people enough time to record them, but it's not made any easier if people don't send me readings as soon as possible. I've shortened the deadline to at least minimise time lost, but if it happens too much more, I do have another way to handle it.

Part 03: You Chozo To Ruins This Rave

Y-Hat posted:

I'm not worthy for that nugget.

I will not lie: this is genuinely going to be the hardest decision of the LP.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Just read the OP again and signed up on the Google Docs!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

frozentreasure posted:

Because I need to wait until I can check the actual scan data to make sure the text of all the scans that I downloaded is accurate, I can't really assign lines more than a few videos ahead at a time.

Pretty sure that if you have a complete save file kicking around somewhere, you can just go to the logbook and read all the scan data to confirm the text.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Geemer posted:

Pretty sure that if you have a complete save file kicking around somewhere, you can just go to the logbook and read all the scan data to confirm the text.

If that was all he needed, then helpful internet nerds have compiled logbook extracts ready for use.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If that was all he needed, then helpful internet nerds have compiled logbook extracts ready for use.

From his wording it looks like he's actually using one of those and wants to make sure the text in there is what is actually in the game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
God drat I love this game so much. The early-game exploration is absolutely picture-perfect, with so many details hinting at what you will later be able to go back for, piquing your curiosity. In fact, you could conceivably do a round-up after each upgrade except for the Charge Beam which, I think, is totally optional? Or is there another must-use-charge wall after the one on the frigate? Anyway, you can do Charge Beam before Morph Ball Bombs, which also owns a lot. As does the map design in general. It's very hard to get lost because all the rooms are so unique (even the transit tunnels between big rooms with the exception of the ones that have only scarabs have some fluff inside them), but apart from that, the 3D map is also just the best.
I still like to play Echoes a little more (maybe because I played that first?), but it's incredibly impressive how Prime nailed 3D Metroid. Many games start series even though they are kinda clunky because you could see the potential and it would get better in the second game, and often those are just improvements on a known formula anyway, but it's really rare to see something done with such confidence to try new stuff so well. Mega Man X also did that, as did Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time. Hell, even Mario 64 might not have aged perfectly by today's standards, Metroid Prime is eternally good.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Simply Simon posted:

In fact, you could conceivably do a round-up after each upgrade except for the Charge Beam which, I think, is totally optional? Or is there another must-use-charge wall after the one on the frigate?

Charge Beam is mandatory if for no other reason than that Super Missiles are mandatory. There's probably a few other "gates" as well that I can't remember though.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Okay, open call to anyone who wants to read a little extra: I need as many different readings of the artefact clues as possible. So if you'd like to help out with that, whether you're signed up already or not, whether you've already read or not, just go here and read off as many as you can or want to, then send the recording to me.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Can't send PMs so I'll just have to post it in the thread, hopefully there's something good here.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Charge Beam is mandatory if for no other reason than that Super Missiles are mandatory. There's probably a few other "gates" as well that I can't remember though.

It is technically possible to finish the game without super missiles, not that I'd ever want to

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I have signed up and made a rather specific request for the far future. Goddamn I love this game so much.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
I've PMed you with my recording, and should you want to go for flavour, I've a) a program that can 'corrupt' text to a greater or lesser degree of legibility or b) speak german, with or without a horrible accent. I'd love to try out a german accent for Science Team.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So this LP finally convinced me to pick up a copy of the Metroid Prime Trilogy for Wii.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I'm still amazed about Retro putting the cigarette to speed runners' balloons, because one of the amazing qualities this game has is the same honestly in environment and item implementation that Super Metroid had. They've gated things along a reasonably secure route, but creative use busts things open in ways that don't bust the game open. Early space jump is just like mockballing to super missiles, and the boost ball provides all kinds of speed booster shenanigans. I can count on one hand the number of decisions I really disagree with here, and while I like Super Metroid the best this game shows such a fidelity to the things it did right that I'll love it forever.

I also can't say enough about the areas themselves. They're rarely lazy or symmetrical, and show a lot of creativity that level design seldom gets.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012

frozentreasure posted:

Okay, open call to anyone who wants to read a little extra: I need as many different readings of the artefact clues as possible. So if you'd like to help out with that, whether you're signed up already or not, whether you've already read or not, just go here and read off as many as you can or want to, then send the recording to me.

Lacedaemonius posted:

Can't send PMs so I'll just have to post it in the thread, hopefully there's something good here.

Hey these are good! I also recorded most of these and sent them to you, Frozen, but I won't be offended if you choose to solely use Laced's for consistency or whatever.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I realised what the Chozo Lore entries were missing, and I wish I'd have remembered it sooner.

Part 04: A Flaahgra-nt Misuse Of Power

Geemer posted:

From his wording it looks like he's actually using one of those and wants to make sure the text in there is what is actually in the game.

I already know that the most complete PAL logbook doesn't have all correct entries, so I do need to confirm all scan data.

George posted:

I also can't say enough about the areas themselves. They're rarely lazy or symmetrical, and show a lot of creativity that level design seldom gets.

If you watch the speedrun at one of the GDQs, where they got Zoid, a programmer on the game, to join in via Skype, he mentions that each room was designed with the consideration of where Samus would be positioned and facing; he goes into quite a lot of detail about the design process when the people on the couch aren't cutting him off to explain things that are incredibly obvious.

Lunar Suite posted:

I've PMed you with my recording, and should you want to go for flavour, I've a) a program that can 'corrupt' text to a greater or lesser degree of legibility or b) speak german, with or without a horrible accent.

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but I'd prefer people leave effects out of their recordings and let me handle it.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

frozentreasure posted:

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but I'd prefer people leave effects out of their recordings and let me handle it.

No worries, the file I sent is just normal voice.

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie
Man, the load in jingle is maybe the best sound in any game.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Rau's about to go Big Brother Barbarian on some motherfuckers, that's for sure.
I love this game and Echoes, despite the latter's faults.

I also signed up for a reading, if only because I've been told in the past that I have a "halfway decent radio voice". So I'll see how this goes. :v:

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Powerfrog posted:

Hey these are good! I also recorded most of these and sent them to you, Frozen, but I won't be offended if you choose to solely use Laced's for consistency or whatever.

Thanks! I quite appreciate the compliment.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

When you scanned the four runes in the room at the start, is it just me or was Samus missing from the cutscene?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Carbon dioxide posted:

When you scanned the four runes in the room at the start, is it just me or was Samus missing from the cutscene?

She only appears in cutscenes when scripted to do so.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Those cutscenes are the only chance she gets to take a powder. Can't blame her for stepping out for a moment.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
A shorter update this time, but next time should balance it out, if my estimates are good.

Part 05: A Song Of Phendrana And Magmoor

frozentreasure posted:

Also this is still open, I could use a few more readings.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I believe that in Finland it's quite common to expose yourself to real cold snow right after a sauna. The Finns think it's healthy, as long as you don't do it for too long.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Ah, Phendrana Drift. Another place where Metroid Prime's music shows how drat good it is. I mention it specifically because two good remixes of the tune are on the "World 1-2" albums. The Cold Ruins Of A Once Great City, and, in World 1-2 Encore "Hot Machine, Cold Surface" (A more contemplative version rearranged with bells of various types)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

JamieTheD posted:

Ah, Phendrana Drift. Another place where Metroid Prime's music shows how drat good it is. I mention it specifically because two good remixes of the tune are on the "World 1-2" albums. The Cold Ruins Of A Once Great City, and, in World 1-2 Encore "Hot Machine, Cold Surface" (A more contemplative version rearranged with bells of various types)

:colbert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBbF0D4VXmY :megadeath:

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Carbon dioxide posted:

I believe that in Finland it's quite common to expose yourself to real cold snow right after a sauna. The Finns think it's healthy, as long as you don't do it for too long.

Yes, I remember everyone in my family doing that when we spent Christmas in Lapland. I specifically didn't do it. Partly because I was 10 and the whole thing seemed weird.

Sorry for taking so long, time got away from me.

Part 06: You Can Always Find Me In The Drifts

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 30, 2015

Kerris
Jul 12, 2006
Don't you fucking dare compliment a woman's voice on the forums, you fucking creepy stalker.
The slow walk near the end was really nice, it really enhanced the ambiance.

The end was certainly something. :stare:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

the end of this update :golfclap: that was great

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Another great update! Love this game to death and I'm really enjoying this LP so far. I know good work takes time but man, can't wait for the next update. I've been spoiled by watching mostly already completed LPs.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm sad you didn't Space Jump [double jump] to your Space Ship [double ship].

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
The chozo lore readings are awfully loud, if possible lower the volume a bit on them for future updates please.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Lacedaemonius posted:

The chozo lore readings are awfully loud, if possible lower the volume a bit on them for future updates please.

Are you referring to just this recent update, or all Chozo Lore readings? I feel like I've been balancing all readings fairly well to match my own volume, although I can hear I left the reading for Cipher a little loud. Are you sure you don't just have your volume up a little high? I typically compare my videos against previous ones and the videos of others to make sure the audio is around the same level, and I don't think anyone's mentioned it before.

I'm rendering out a fixed version of 06 now, the link will be updated when it's done.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

frozentreasure posted:

Are you referring to just this recent update, or all Chozo Lore readings? I feel like I've been balancing all readings fairly well to match my own volume, although I can hear I left the reading for Cipher a little loud. Are you sure you don't just have your volume up a little high? I typically compare my videos against previous ones and the videos of others to make sure the audio is around the same level, and I don't think anyone's mentioned it before.

I'm rendering out a fixed version of 06 now, the link will be updated when it's done.

The ones in the latest video, with the after effect to sound ethereal/in-an-auditorium. The filter makes the recordings seemingly louder than everything else, like they were recorded on a mic with too much gain. It's especially glaring with the one the woman reads near the beginning of the video.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I am goddamn loving this LP so much.

It's bizarre though, I remember the first run into Phendrana being really really long and as it turns out, it's like 10 minutes at most.

Also, I remember walking into Phendrana for the first time and I feel like this is the first time ever that I was actually just completely blown away by the graphics of a game. Like, the Mario 64 transition to 3d is a really big memory for me, but this is the first time where I stopped just because of how pretty something looked.

God I love Metroid Prime so much.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I am goddamn loving this LP so much.

It's bizarre though, I remember the first run into Phendrana being really really long and as it turns out, it's like 10 minutes at most.
I'd wager a guess that you got stuck fighting Baby Sheegoths for a while, then after half the trek you got killed and had to re-do it. At least that happened to me :v:. Also, falling off from high places because a walking icicle pushed me and first-person platforming is hard, okay.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Samus doesn't seem to jump all that high; a single jump can't clear most ground-crawlers, despite the general assumption that it would; I even do it in the video, when I know it won't work.

What you're probably remembering when you think of how long Phendrana is is what immediately follows getting the spoublace jump boots, and your memory is combining it into a single sequence. It's not far off.

Video has been updated; took down the Cipher audio a little, so it should hopefully be better, and fixed up a couple of other slight audio issues I missed on my first pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

frozentreasure posted:

What you're probably remembering when you think of how long Phendrana is is what immediately follows getting the spoublace jump boots, and your memory is combining it into a single sequence. It's not far off.
It's actually kind of strange, the way the boots are...shoe-horned in, seemingly. It's clear that they wanted to put them somewhere around this level of progression, it's roughly equivalent to the point you find them in Super Metroid, or the double jump in most Castlevanias, but they're just so far removed from Phendrana. I've always wondered about that.
The thing is, many Metroidvanias of course encourage you to go back and try out new poo poo in old places, and that's often mandatory, and it's fine, my biggest problem is probably that it's the Boost Ball itself. If you don't know that it's coming, you probably never noticed half-pipes just traversing through the game as something special, and there is only one besides the one you have to take for the space jump boots I can think of right now (entrance to Chozo Ruins right after that one). So it really is "go to the end of this possible path in Phendrana, then backtrack almost literally the entire game to find a use for your new toy". Just weird to me. I think it would have worked better if they had swapped the order somehow, a double jump encourages "aimless" exploration far better than the Boost Ball does, and you could for example have a half-pipe block off the next progression point, with a scan telling you to go look for a boosting thing.

• Locked thread