Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

So why didn't the Chozo... leave? The planet is beyond hosed post-meteor and they had space travel, time to bug out.

As best I can tell, they just don't give a poo poo any more. They picked this planet to live on as their civilization quietly died out (from ennui, I guess), and whelp a meteor crashed down here oh well, not like we had any grand plans anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

frozentreasure posted:

Wait a second! I mistakenly posted the wrong video! Guys, why didn't anyone tell me? I'm so embarrassed, I can't believe I would do something like that.

Here's the real video.

Part 07: The Rave Beam

Also, for people who have signed up: even if you haven't yet gotten a line, I do still have all of your sign-ups, and you don't need to sign up a second time. I'll be assigning another batch of lines for the next handful of videos soon, so hang tight. I hope people like being space pirates.

Just to avoid repeated sign-up: have I, in fact, signed up? I know I started, I vaguely remember having some issues with it not accepting my usual e-mail address, but I can't for the life of me remember if I actually finished it, nor, in case I did, which address I used.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Aumanor posted:

Just to avoid repeated sign-up: have I, in fact, signed up? I know I started, I vaguely remember having some issues with it not accepting my usual e-mail address, but I can't for the life of me remember if I actually finished it, nor, in case I did, which address I used.

same question

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

So why didn't the Chozo... leave? The planet is beyond hosed post-meteor and they had space travel, time to bug out.

The Chozo logs (both versions of them) pretty clearly spell out that the Chozo were trying to save the planet because it was their home, and they feared what would happen if the corruption from the impact crater were to somehow spread beyond Tallon IV.

Edit: The ice shriekbats are kind of strange in that they actually don't disappear in the JP and EU Gamecube versions of the game, but they do vanish from all Wii versions of the game (which means the Wii versions are a heavy modification of the original NTSC version). The only up side is that in the Wii version, there's sort of a NG+ mode if you start a new game with a completed save file, which carries over all the scans, so you aren't totally screwed if you miss one.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 20, 2015

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

DetectiveDorian posted:

Actually, from what I've heard, Other M takes place after Super Metroid. So, she's encountered Ridley... Three times?

Still too many to have PTSD by that point.

Spoilers for the entire Metroid series:

quote:

The Lone Badger posted:

In the Chozo data entries, it is revealed that they ascended a higher plan of existence and became spirituality tied to the planet. The meteor impact spooked them out this state and they tried to quarantine it in fear that it would spread to other planets.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sunning posted:

In the Chozo data entries, it is revealed that they ascended a higher plan of existence and became spirituality tied to the planet. The meteor impact spooked them out this state and they tried to quarantine it in fear that it would spread to other planets.

The Chozo logs are different in the US Player's Choice, EU, JP, and all Wii versions of the game. The Chozo don't actually ascend to a higher plane of existence, but the rest of that remains true.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Also the chozo fancy themselves sorta the guardians of the galaxy, and kept things like the metroids safe from more grabby hands. So for them to leap into trying to kill off 'the great poison' is totally in character.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
homing wave beam shots is pretty much the coolest thing

Simply Simon posted:

Huh, I didn't know you could missile Sheegoth's face. Guess I am bad at reading.
I used to hate her, too, because doing her only with Ballbombs means you're going to eat a lot of nearly unavoidable damage. It's always close and down to the wire, then, especially if you're still kinda fumbling with the controls. And after a death it means redoing some annoying jumps (especially the one between the floating platforms at the very beginning which were even pointed out) and that terrible morph ball puzzle with the colums. It's immediately obvious what you have to do, but it takes soo many bombs, and it's easy to slip off the ramps, have the metal crate respawn and ugh. Then you die to the boss again.

The water puzzle can also be a bitch to get right if you haven't mastered jumping yet, so overall this part of the game just reminds me of tedium more than anything. It's a prime (:haw:) example of why I consider Echoes the better game overall, it has less "ah gently caress not this poo poo again" rooms.

I'm going to be that guy and express an exorbitant amount of incredulity that anyone would die against mama sheegoth

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Looper posted:

I'm going to be that guy and express an exorbitant amount of incredulity that anyone would die against mama sheegoth

I've done it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Looper posted:

I died against it. I assumed you had to be literally dead underneath the Sheegoth to bomb it and took massive amounts of unavoidable damage.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Rau's about to go Big Brother Barbarian on some motherfuckers, that's for sure.

Looper posted:

I've died against her, quite recently, actually, because I was a dumbass and kept firing my Power Beam shots at her and she kept getting charged up.

It was halfway through the second attempt when I realized, "gently caress, why isn't this-- ...I have missiles. drat it all." Then the fight went on as normal.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Baby sheegoths always gave me far more trouble than the mama did.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Looper posted:

Every boss in every video game has someone who is really loving bad against it. I follow Dark Souls discussion (I know, I know) and it's completely pointless to go "you died against THAT GUY???" because yes, everyone sucks against something. I'm sure if you'd list your top three bosses that gave you problems, there's be five people going "lol those are total scrubs, are you sure you didn't have problems with [insert your personal easiest boss of all time here]".

In Mama Sheegoth's case, it's actually very easy to explain problems. I (and possibly other people) never knew you could fire missiles at her. Ball controls are finicky and you will probably get hit. I personally also was not that good at videogames in general at that point. Generally, you could always assume "maybe this was their first game" and have an explanation why the first somewhat complicated (if still "easy") boss is a huge roadblock for someone which they still remember up until today.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Lone Badger posted:

Dude, they can Force Ghost. Who really gives a poo poo about dying when you can become a Force Ghost.

Even if you become a corrupted, rear end in a top hat Force Ghost. You know, the kind that appears inside Samus' ship after she leaves it and programs it to fly off to a random location......just to be a dick

Simply Simon posted:

Every boss in every video game has someone who is really loving bad against it. I follow Dark Souls discussion (I know, I know) and it's completely pointless to go "you died against THAT GUY???" because yes, everyone sucks against something. I'm sure if you'd list your top three bosses that gave you problems, there's be five people going "lol those are total scrubs, are you sure you didn't have problems with [insert your personal easiest boss of all time here]".

Every boss in this game is a cake walk for me. Except.....The Hive Mecha. My death count since I've played this game against this thing is higher than any other boss. AND I DON'T KNOW WHY.

BMS fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 21, 2015

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the scan visor tells you two different ways of fighting it tho

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wait, so which version of the game has the logs I played? I liked the ones where they said their consciousness was stretching beyond time and space and even in their death they could see Samus fighting on their planet. That was weirdly cool.

Probly the simplest approach was the best, though: in Zero Mission when we get some simple text-less drawings. I loved how the credits for that had us zooming in on a Chozo hieroglyphs wall and we see a kiddie drawing of a little girl next to two friendly birdmen. Dawwwww.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Theres also like one flashback scene to where Samus was lead to the warrior shrine by a chozo, inferred to be her caretaker/surrogate parent.

Its two images in a game that has but two text scrolls in the only two major cutscenes. But you get a lot out of it, and combined with how you interface with chozo tech in game the player can instantly put two and two together.

Zero mission is super good guys.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

Wait, so which version of the game has the logs I played? I liked the ones where they said their consciousness was stretching beyond time and space and even in their death they could see Samus fighting on their planet. That was weirdly cool.

Let's put it this way. This LP has the second version of the Chozo logs, wherein the Chozo do not evolve into energy beings and vanish from the planet until the meteor hits. They still talk about their expanding consciousness and having visions of the future, but it's toned down and makes a lot more sense. These are the log files present in every version of the game except for the original day one, v1.0 North American Gamecube release.

The other LP going on right now by FPzero is using the original v1.0 NTSC Gamecube release, which has the first-version log files featuring the Chozo getting all metaphysical and evolving into energy beings or something a fair amount of time before the meteor impact, which drags their spirits back to the planet. They're worded vaguely and with metaphor spread thick, such that you could carve into it with a chainsaw. No other version of the game has these log files in it; if you didn't get the game in North America at or near launch, these probably aren't the log files you're familiar with (unless by chance you happened to pick up a used v1 copy or something).

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Happy holidays, everyone. Here's your present, courtesy of the fact that they don't stop playing Christmas songs at department stores this time of year. This is really rough, but I ran out of time putting it together.

Bonus: The Samus Sing-a-long

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Should have sent a carol singer.

Oh wait, they did. Bravo. :golfclap:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

:kimchi:

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
That was delightful.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Sorry for letting this LP drop off the face of the earth for awhile. I needed to take a bit of a break, but also the next video was enough of an annoyance to route that I kept avoiding recording it to begin with. The update ought to be ready within the next week, and things should hopefully be relatively smooth sailing for several videos after that point.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Nice to hear this is continuing . Hope you had a pleasant break.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
In the interest of clarity, some of the pirate logs aren't in the exact locations they're being read in this video, but they are all within the research labs.

Part 08: I Don't Like You, Aether

Sorry if the commentary isn't that terrific, I felt rusty. Look forward to the next video in hopefully not as long as that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You call the space pirate combat tiring but as someone who has never played the Prime games it looks pretty fun. At the very least a good change of pace from the most slow paced exploration punctuated by boss fights.

Wikiman
May 30, 2011
Oh hey! I'm glad this LP isn't dead. I really like the presentation of it.

Understandable to have to take a break. Looking forward to more!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kibayasu posted:

You call the space pirate combat tiring but as someone who has never played the Prime games it looks pretty fun. At the very least a good change of pace from the most slow paced exploration punctuated by boss fights.

It gets tiring eventually.
Especially when you remeber that FPzero is blazing through the game and a normal player would backtrack, get lost and in the process kill enough pirates to extinct them if they didnt respawn.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I've indeed never liked the Research Lab, because it's the first really challenging gauntlet of the game - frozentreasure obviously knows what he's doing, but in goofing off a little, letting scans play out et cetera, he still gets hit by quite a few bullets and goes down to only two E-Tanks at least once. If you come in there fresh, you might get hit even more, and have not found all the possible E-Tanks up to this point - hell, I didn't even realize that you could just Missile the one behind glass to get it, so I didn't even have a pick-me-up halfway through.

What's also really harrowing is the first encounter with the flying pirates; if you don't realize how GOOD Super Missiles are, those will obliterate your health. Then you do the visor room, everything gets dark, and you have to go aaaall the way back being assaulted by Metroids. It sucks, maybe in a good way ("atmosphere"), but man did I not like it at the time.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It gets tiring eventually.
Especially when you remeber that FPzero is blazing through the game and a normal player would backtrack, get lost and in the process kill enough pirates to extinct them if they didnt respawn.

Wrong Metroid Prime LP, but still a valid point.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fanzay posted:

Wrong Metroid Prime LP, but still a valid point.

Woops

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

The issue's right, though. Fights against Space Pirates are fun. The same fight against the same Space Pirates for the fifth time because you're backtracking AGAIN is dull because it gets old fast.

And yeah, frozentreasure is purposely faffing about, but some of those fights (the jetpack pirates one in particular) are really rough for less experienced players.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Eventually I was just immediately letting Super Missiles or Wavebusters fly against the pirates as soon as I saw them on my most recent playthrough of Prime. Especially on Veteran difficulty, it can get tedious because pirates have a lot more health than most animals.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like this gimmick for commentary, and I hope you can find the time to produce more videos.

I also like that the Thermal Visor isn't just a generic see-in-the-dark tool but has its own mechanics for what it can reveal, and things with low heat signatures like the sentry droids are less visible.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

I do like this gimmick for commentary, and I hope you can find the time to produce more videos.

I also like that the Thermal Visor isn't just a generic see-in-the-dark tool but has its own mechanics for what it can reveal, and things with low heat signatures like the sentry droids are less visible.

The Ice Beam is also mostly black in thermal vision, as are things you cover in ice. Metroid Prime 1 had the best visors by a longshot.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I love that they took the concept of an X-ray visor from Super Metroid and the classic 80s Predator obsession with thermal vision and turned it into this rich part of the powerups in a first-person game.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

frozentreasure posted:

Look forward to the next video in hopefully not as long as that.

Alright, exactly as I said, here is the next video, after not as long as the last video took. The next one will be next week, because I already recorded it and the commentary after reassessing my route through the game and figuring that a 60 minute video would be a bit of a slog to watch.

Part 09: The Thardus-t Thing I've Had To Do

I had something in mind for April Fool's Day involving a game about a baby, but it's been long enough without a proper update. Also I couldn't get it done in time. Alas.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I had the thardest time with Thardus when I first played the game :saddowns:.

He's easy if you stay calm and collected, but he really punishes panic. You'll start missing shots on him, prolonging the fight, then miss shooting his rocks, mis-time the boosts, get disoriented by the visor overloading and the storm effect...he's definitely more style than substance, but if you're still struggling a little to learn the moves, that can be enough to keep you occupied for a game over or three.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Boom, consistency, look at me go.

Part 10: Wavebustin' Makes Me Feel Good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Y'know, I think Samus could have squeezed through those bars, the gap was pretty big. She might have to go on a pauldron-targeting weight watchers program though.

On the last videos my god the thermal hud is horrendous, I can't imagine using that for any period of time. Not even Mr.DJB's soothing sounds could alleviate the pain of such bad design.

• Locked thread