Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delvio
Sep 14, 2007

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Since I based my 33% suggestion on a guess that there were penalties to results based on how bad your conditions were, but had no proof, are there penalties like that for various percentages of malus conditions or do characters always get the same chances for results of doing things until they hit 100% and then instantly become too tired/sick/dead to work any more?

There is a penalty depending on what malus is getting high. Aside from fatigue, each one affects a different catagory of skills:

Fatigue - % penalty to all skills
Depression - % penalty to Mental skills (Intelligence, Discussion, Medicine , Knowledge)
Hunger - % penalty to Utility skills (Stealth, Crafting, Exploration, Scavenging)
Sickness - % penalty to Food skills (Hunting, Fishing, Cooking, Harvesting)
Injury - % penalty to Physical skills (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Fighting)

It looks like the penalty for Fatigue is ~1/5th the amount of the hazard (so a Fatigue level of 40% gives a penalty of ~8% to all skills)
All other hazards appear to give a penalty of 1/3 of the hazard (so a Depression of 36% will reduce all Mental skills by 12%)

If you hover over the hazard bars, it will give a popup giving you the different factors it influences, and hovering over the skills shows you what is penalizing it.

Hope that helps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Delvio posted:

There is a penalty depending on what malus is getting high. Aside from fatigue, each one affects a different catagory of skills:

Fatigue - % penalty to all skills
Depression - % penalty to Mental skills (Intelligence, Discussion, Medicine , Knowledge)
Hunger - % penalty to Utility skills (Stealth, Crafting, Exploration, Scavenging)
Sickness - % penalty to Food skills (Hunting, Fishing, Cooking, Harvesting)
Injury - % penalty to Physical skills (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Fighting)

It looks like the penalty for Fatigue is ~1/5th the amount of the hazard (so a Fatigue level of 40% gives a penalty of ~8% to all skills)
All other hazards appear to give a penalty of 1/3 of the hazard (so a Depression of 36% will reduce all Mental skills by 12%)

If you hover over the hazard bars, it will give a popup giving you the different factors it influences, and hovering over the skills shows you what is penalizing it.

Hope that helps!

That definitely helps. Are the fatigue/other malus percentage penalties additive or multiplicative? i.e. if the fatigue is 50% and hunger is 60% on a character is the total penalty to utility skills closer to 30% or 32%? Though thinking about it there's no way we want to chop that much off of our effectiveness anyway and at non-almost dead ranges it's not a big difference so if you don't know it's cool.

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

That definitely helps. Are the fatigue/other malus percentage penalties additive or multiplicative? i.e. if the fatigue is 50% and hunger is 60% on a character is the total penalty to utility skills closer to 30% or 32%? Though thinking about it there's no way we want to chop that much off of our effectiveness anyway and at non-almost dead ranges it's not a big difference so if you don't know it's cool.

Taking a quick look at the current game, Bob has a Fatigue of 37% (7% penalty to all skills) and a Depression level of 17% (6% Mental penalty). His base Discussion is 50, and he takes a penalty of 6 points to it for a final adjusted score of 44 points. It looks like the total penalty is Skill * (Penalty 1+Penalty 2).

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Delvio posted:

Taking a quick look at the current game, Bob has a Fatigue of 37% (7% penalty to all skills) and a Depression level of 17% (6% Mental penalty). His base Discussion is 50, and he takes a penalty of 6 points to it for a final adjusted score of 44 points. It looks like the total penalty is Skill * (Penalty 1+Penalty 2).

Yep, and it also looks like either the resulting score or penalties are rounded down instead of up or to the nearest whole number. Very tiny advantage but nice all the same.

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
Day 6 – Cheese, but no fruit

Yuri's Injury was up to 29%, so he gets a bottle of Painkillers. I send Julia off to search the Couch of Death, and she finds:

2x 101 Sudoku (+5 Intelligence) (both go to Bob to help his dismal Int.)
1x Painkillers (-20% Injury)
1x Empty Bottle (Does nothing on its own, but we might be able to fill it with something later)

She decides to take a break on the couch afterwards.

She loses fatigue, but gains a bit of depression from spooning with human remains.

She then decides to swim with the fishes for a bit to clear her head.

Well, it looks like that swim cleared up some of her depression. Looping between the two events, she has managed to lose more depression and fatigue than she gained from the events. Of course, there is the risk of monster attacks each time you go to the events. All these Stealth checks from the events (one failed, two succeeding) means that Julia has managed to level up her base stealth to 89. Since the couch and swimming events can be reapeated indefinately, this means that Julia can remove massive amounts of fatigue and depression at will (with only minimal risk). Of course, I will try not to abuse this too much (unless you guys want me to).

AM assignments
Yuri – Scavenge the plane (Leveled up and found 2x wood, 1x rope, 1x two-star meal, 4x barely edible stuffs, 2x fish, 1x First Aid magazine (+5 Medicine))
Illyana, Jacob, Bob – Rest
Al, Winters – Build the fruit basket (Result - 43% done)
Julia – Research. She has low skill, but she can do the last 3% on her own. (Result – invented Fishing Rod)

Here is the text and items needed for the Fishing Rod.

Alice, – Explore (Result – found Floating Chest).

Here are the options for the chest. Playing Pirate is a one-shot Depression cure, and hiding the booty does not say what it will do.

I think I will hold off on these events for a bit though.

PM assignments
Al– Scavenge the plane (Found 1x wood, 1x rope, 1x Painkillers, 2x 1-star meals, 4x barely edible stuffs, 2x Ginseng Juice (-20% Fatigue))
Illyana, Jacob – Research (Research is up to 29%)
Bob & Yuri - Build the fruit basket (Result - 97% done...Again?)
Winters & Alice- Rest
Julia – Gather wood (her skill is bad, but we don't need him anywhere else)

Nothing major happend in the afternoon, so onto the night. Let's see what happens!

With Bob's Intelligence score, I am not surprised by the fact that he had trouble in college.

We do not have enough real food to go around, so I had to give out some of the meat and fish to feed everyone. Luckily, only Julia gains sickness from it, and only 2 points at that. We can easily treat that with our medicinal herbs. Once we get the basket done, we can start using fruit to safely supplement our diet. Fruit does not restore much hunger, but it gives no sickness. When we get the fishing rod, we can also gather herbs to cure the sickness the raw fish will bring.

Of course, that will all need to wait for tomorrow.

Current Jobs-
Scavenge the Plane (only 3 more time, 1 person max)
Craft (2 people max)
Research (2 people max)
Rest (3 people max)
Chat (no max)
Explore (3 people max)
Scavenging Wood/Rope/Stone/Herbs (2 people max)

Current Usable Items-
Toolbox (+5 Crafting)
Psychology magazine (+5 Discussion)
Fishing Bait (+5 Fishing)
Spices (+5 Cooking)
2x Coffee (-10% Fatigue & Depression)
3x Medicinal Herbs (-3% Sickness)
5x Painkillers (-20% Injury)
2x Chocolate (-20% Depression)
1x Ancient Knowledge (+1 to all Skills)
2x Miracle Potion (-10% to all Hazards)
2x 101 Sudoku (+5 Intelligence)
1x First Aid Mag. (+5 Medicine)
1x Empty Bottle
2x Ginseng Juice (-20% Fatigue)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
So when do we rediscover cooking?

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007

FredMSloniker posted:

So when do we rediscover cooking?

The future research topics are not revealed to you ahead of time. You only are notified of what you discover when you finish researching a topic. You can make a rough guess about what you have left to discover by the number of unused skills, so we know that we will probably get tasks that uses the Cooking, Hunting, and the Medicine Skills sometime in the future.

You do not need to build everything in the order it is unlocked, so if we want, we can stockpile materials and hold off on building the fishing pole. That way, we can immediately begin building whatever the cooking project is when it gets unlocked.

The Game Devs say that in a future update, you will be able to do simple cooking on the campfire, but for right now, it is raw or nothing.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
More int = more skill points per level sure is a poopy mechanic.

The fishing pole seems useful with that pool of fish at least.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
I feel sorry for Al. Every conversation ends with something bad. Depression from the conversation with Alice just because she couldn't leave well enough alone, decrease in likability with Winters because she took what he said completely the wrong way and a decrease with Bob because Bob wants to blame his problems on people other than himself and sees problems that just aren't there.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Alejandro seems like the sort of character who's made to be poo poo on, even though the justification for it is flimsy. Who knows, maybe he'll have a DEEP DARK SECRET which somehow retroactively justifies it.

Also I love the whole 'higher Int means better level-ups' thing personally. Yes, it is butts and stupid, and that's what makes it charming. 'Oh, so you mean the high intelligence character is just better at EVERYTHING, including fighting and athletics, than the big strong characters by the end of the game? WELL GOODNESS YES THIS SOUNDS LIKE AN INTERESTING AND BALANCED MECHANIC SIGN ME UP'. It's an idea that reaches back into the antiquity of traditional RPGs, where it was also butts, and somehow continues to be a factor in games where it is unneeded and undesirable to this day. :v:

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
The skill system and leveling up is not really that bad. People gain skills in whatever they are doing, and it is generally best to have people specialize in what they are already good at. For example, Alice has great exploration, so we can just let her do all our exploring and forget about all her other stats. Illyana has great knowledge and Intelligence, so she will be researching most all of the time.

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
Day 7 – Week in Review

Well, lets see what we have to work with today.

Yuri and Al are both fatigued and depressed, so I give them each a cup of coffee and box of chocolates (the true breakfast of champions!).

AM Tasks
Al – Scavenge the plane (Result - Levels up and finds 3x drugs [cures sickness with the proper tech] and 3x barely edible stuffs)
Winters & Yuri – Gather wood (Result – get 6 wood)
Bob – Finish that last 3% of the fruit basket.

Jacob – Research (Result - gets up to 45%)
Julia & Illyana – Rest
Alice – Explore (Result - finds a strange blue woman?)

Well, at least she likes animals.

Now that Julia is rested up, let's send her off to check that chest (the pirate's chest from last time, this is not that type of game).

Searching it, she finds...

Cheese? It removes 20% hunger, but gives 10% sickness in exchange.

While she is out, she might as well see what's up with that blue chick.

I think that this is inappropriate enough already. Let's see if she is a better talker than she is a pet owner.

I put all of Al's skill points into Harvesting (Al has the Family Farmer trait, so he should level this up fast), and put a few logs on the fire before sending everyone off to the afternoon.

AM Tasks
Yuri – Scavenge the plane (Result – find 3x bandages [cures injury with the proper tech], 3x barely edible stuffs, 1x fruit)
Winters & Julia – Gather wood (Result – Gain 4 wood)
Bob & Al – Harvest fruit ( Result – Gain 5 fruit)

Apparently all that crafting work was to get us a basket and a flag. At least this will give us a constant source of food.
Illyana– Research (Result - gets up to 64%)
Jacob – Rest
Alice – Explore (Result – finds a shipwreck)

We still don't have enough items for our fishing pole, but I think we made good progress today. Let's see what the castaways think about it.

It looks like they all are feeling good about trusting the naked chick with the dolphin corpse.

With our crop of fruit and barely edible stuff, I manage to get most everyone below 20% hunger (except for Alice and her lousy Bulimia trait). Below is the state of our crew after our first week on the island.

And here is the current map of the island.

And the current skill levels of everyone.

And the current status of their relationships.

Join us next time as we explore the shipwreck and try to track down an appropriate gift for strange naked blue chick.

Current Jobs-
Scavenge the Plane (only 1 more time, 1 person max)
Harvesting fruit (2 people max)
Craft (2 people max)
Research (2 people max)
Rest (3 people max)
Chat (no max)
Explore (3 people max)

Current Usable Items-
Toolbox (+5 Crafting)
Spices (+5 Cooking)
5x Painkillers (-20% Injury)
1x Empty Bottle
3x Drugs – Cures sickness, but cannot use without the proper tech
Smelly Cheese (-20% Hunger, + 10% Sickness)
3x Bandage - Cures injury, but cannot use without the proper tech

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Well, I didn't particularly expect this game to make sense, and I'm glad to see it's not disappointing me in that regard so far. Belatedly, I'm not personally opposed to abusing the event loop a little either if it makes things a little simpler in the long run.

Honestly, it seems like so far the hardest thing to manage for our merry little band will be the relationships, what with random fireside chats and events constantly tanking them. Eagerly looking forward to Jacob's relationship marks spiraling downward until he runs off to be a crazed lone survivalist.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm glad they got the blue woman on a giant seashell out of the way early. Sets the tone.

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
Day 8 – All tapped out

We still need 6 wood and 5 rope for the fishing pole, so let's see if Julia can scavenge enough from all the junk around the island.

We search the wrecked ship and Julia fails her stealth roll.

And she promptly gets mauled by a goth bat. She levels up (with the points going to her stealth and scavenging) and finds 2x bottles of rum.

Rum is an odd item that can give between +10% and -10% to hunger, sickness, and depression.

Her Fatigue is up to 69 (tee-hee), so she gets ginseng, painkillers, and a trip to the corpse couch to rest before she scavenges the other wrecks.

Breaking up the crate gets us 2x wood and 1x nails.

Scavenging the wreck gets us 2x wood and 2x rope.

We still need 2 wood and 3 rope before we can start work on the fishing pole, so it is off to work.

AM Tasks

Yuri – Finish scavenging the plane (Result – 1x barely edible stuff)

Well, it looks like we have scraped the bottom of the barrel as much as we can. Thankfully we have fruit to sustain us until we get some real food.

Al, Julia, Winters – Rest

Illyana & Jacob – Research (Result – 83% Research)

Bob – Harvest fruit (Result – found 3x fruit)

Alice – Explore (Result – found a raft)

That is an awful lot of options to pick from. I think I will let you guys pick what we do with it.

PM Tasks

Illyana & Jacob – Research (Result – finally figured out how to cook food over a fire)

I have no idea where they get the pot from, but I guess they must use one of the coconut shells or something.

Yuri, Julia, Alice – Rest

Al & Winter - Harvest fruit (Result – 7x fruit)

Bob – We only need two wood, so Bob will gather wood (Result – 3x wood). This was a big stroke of luck, because with his low scavenging skill, he had a random chance of 0-3 pieces. Now we have enough for the fishing-pole and one extra to feed the fire.

Well, with the days work done, lets listen in on the crew.

So meeting up with a bizarre naked necrophiliac cheers everyone up, but surviving for a week depresses the hell out of everyone? I guess I will just chalk it up to the tropical heat making everyone crazy.

With all that fruit we gathered, we manage to slow our rate of starvation. But everyone is still pretty hungry.

Of course, we cannot keep this up forever, since fruit doesn't restore much hunger, and we also need some to replenish our water supply. So for tomorrow, we need to decide what we want to do with the raft we found.

Vote – What should we do with the raft? Break it up to get a head start on making a cookpot? Explore the coast with it? Try to escape? Or just surf around until it shatters?

Current Jobs-
Scavenge the Plane (1 person max)
Craft (2 people max)
Research (2 people max)
Rest (3 people max)
Chat (no max)
Explore (3 people max)

Current Usable Items-
Toolbox (+5 Crafting)
Spices (+5 Cooking)
4x Painkillers (-20% Injury)
1x Empty Bottle
2x Rum (+/-10% Hunger, Sickness, & Depression)

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
I doubt even if you could get away from the island with the raft, you could not survive the ocean with it. And while exploring the coast with it might be a good idea for extra exploration, you REALLY need the ability to cook food, especially the fish as it is likely to be your main source of food for a while, and that raft looks like it is made up of PLENTY of wood and rope. So take it apart and get a good boost to the wood and rope you need for the cooking, hopefully only leaving that third item, whatever it is, being needed.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

OminousEdge posted:

I doubt even if you could get away from the island with the raft, you could not survive the ocean with it. And while exploring the coast with it might be a good idea for extra exploration, you REALLY need the ability to cook food, especially the fish as it is likely to be your main source of food for a while, and that raft looks like it is made up of PLENTY of wood and rope. So take it apart and get a good boost to the wood and rope you need for the cooking, hopefully only leaving that third item, whatever it is, being needed.

I agree with all of this.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
I've been wondering about this game, glad someone is there to play it so I don't have to. :v: It seems a good deal stranger than I expected. I also wonder how long it'll take for Illyana to try to kill Jacob, or vice versa.

Breaking up the raft sounds good to me for what it's worth.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I'd break up the raft. We have places on the island to gather food already, right? Then anything that helps with that is huge.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Break up the raft for resources.
If the cast aways run out of food and have to eat one of the members, I vote Jacob.
Is there a simple way to gather coconuts? Is it a randomly found item, or does coconut harvest require some new technology?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Totally agreed on breaking down the raft even if it would be drat depressing to have to commit to throwing away the first (vanishingly slim) chance of getting off the island.

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
Day 9 – No Exit

With a unanimous vote, it looks like we will play it safe and use the raft for resources instead of exploration. As usual, we will send out little miss cat-burglar to adventure in the jungle.
First, we search the raft to see if it is hiding anything

Then we break it up for a total of:

2x wood, 2x rope, and 1x nail. All we need for the fishing rod is one more rope now.

AM Tasks
Jacob, Julia, & Bob - Rest
Al & Winter – Harvest fruit (Results – 5x fruit)
Yuri – Finish gathering rope for the fishing rod (Results – 2x rope)
Illyana – Research (Result – 14% completion and levels up to get 13 skillpoints)
I put 6 points into Knowledge to help with researching, and 6 points into Constitution to help out with her fatigue issues. With her low Con score, she only recovers a small amount each time she rests. This way she will have less downtime and can focus on researching.
Alice – Explore (Results – finds a Big Fig Tree)

Now that we have a second source of food, I give Julia a swim and some couch time before sending her off to get some fruit. The fruit will never spoil, so we can stockpile it, and we can cut the tree once we gather all the fruit from it.

Searching the tree we find:

5x Soy Sprouts (decrease hunger from 1-5%), 1x Tinder (needed to rebuild the campfire if it goes out)

She picks fruit twice, and gets:

1x fruit each time. Unfortunately, nobody has a really good harvesting skill, so sending someone other than Julia would not gain us anything but more injuries.

We now have enough resources for the fishing-pole, so I get that started ASAP. Since our food situation is a bit dire, I take Alice off of exploration duty to help harvest fruit.

PM Tasks
Al, Illyana, & Winters - Rest
Yuri & Bob – Craft (Result – 22% progress)
Jacob – Research (Result – 31% progress)
Alice & Julia – Harvesting fruit (Result – 5x fruit)

Night

I am not sure if either of them will last long with our food situation.

We are down to 8 water in the water barrel, so I will need to use some of the fruit tomorrow to replenish it. Here is the current starvation status:

We can use the soy sprouts to shave off a few points, but we really need to get that fishing pole done and get the cook pot up and going. With the rate we are going, we should have the fishing pole done in two days or so, Hopefully our vegan diet can sustain us that long.

Current Jobs-
Craft (2 people max)
Research (2 people max)
Rest (3 people max)
Chat (no max)
Explore (3 people max)

Current Usable Items-
Toolbox (+5 Crafting)
Spices (+5 Cooking)
1x Empty Bottle
5x Soy Sprouts (decrease hunger from 1-5%)

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
What I don't understand is why Yuri hasn't explained to Jacob (preferably through the medium of a clenched fist) that browbeating Illyana is a bad idea when her father is twice your size, twice your weight, and doesn't have to worry about answering questions to the police about why you don't have a jaw anymore.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
Wait, Seriously? The raft only game that much? I figured it would give a lot more. Stupid Raft. Also, I think at the way things are going our survivors will kill each other before the misshapen abominations of the island do.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hopefully we can replace Jacob with a good dog or cat sooner or later.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I'm starting to think we should have put Jacob on the raft and punted him out to sea.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Are there any of these conversation events that actually result in the characters liking each other more?

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

Are there any of these conversation events that actually result in the characters liking each other more?

There are some nice conversations, including a few that reduce hazard levels quite substantially. We have just been unlucky with them.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Hopefully we can replace Jacob with a good dog or cat sooner or later.

Good Jacob best friend? Everything about him reads as a crazy backwoods survivalist, which is probably the case. He just hasn't demonstrated that he can be useful for surviving, rather than just :tinfoil:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

dscruffy1 posted:

Good Jacob best friend? Everything about him reads as a crazy backwoods survivalist, which is probably the case. He just hasn't demonstrated that he can be useful for surviving, rather than just :tinfoil:

A dog or cat will be friendlier and the dog will be just as good for hunting was all I meant.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

A dog or cat will be friendlier and the dog will be just as good for hunting was all I meant.

The cat will probably be equally as likely to kill you or break something and in either case will still be a huge dick.

Cats are assholes and Jacob is a cat.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

dscruffy1 posted:

The cat will probably be equally as likely to kill you or break something and in either case will still be a huge dick.

Cats are assholes and Jacob is a cat.

None of the cats I've had have been assholes or really dickish :shobon:

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
Day 10 – X marks the spot

We need to get that fishing pole built ASAP. Since Crafting is classified as an Agility skill, the Hunger malus affects it greatly. I give three soy sprouts to Yuri and two to Bob. Yuri and Al are both down to 21% hunger and both gain back a significant portion of their skill.

AM Tasks
Julia, Jacob, & Illyana – Rest
Yuri & Bob – Craft (Result – 26% completion)
Al – Harvest fruit (Result – 6x fruit – 2 of those are used for water)
Winters – Our fire is about to die, so she needs to gather wood (Result – 4x wood – 1 is sacrificed to Moloch, lord of fire, upon whom we depend for life and warmth)
Alice – Explore (Result – found an X on the ground)

I am not sure why we would care about treasure when we are about to starve to death, but I suppose we may as well start digging up some graves early.

Good lord, I think she may have saved us all! 3x Dried Meals! Praise Moloch! Dried meals are a non-perishable food and restores 10-15% hunger. While there is a non-zero chance we may be cannibalizing a mummy, I think that it is worth the risk.

Julia is now at a dangerously high fatigue level of 79%, so she will be taking some well deserved rest for the next couple of days.

She even gets a throbbing skull next to her fatigue level just to drive home the point.

PM Tasks
Julia & Alice – Rest
Yuri & Bob – Craft (Result – 100% completion)

Now that we have the fishing rod, we can reap the bounty of the sea. Before the last update, fishing did not cause any hazards to rise, so it was basically an effortless way to gain food each day. The only risk was that fishing always has a minimum yield of zero no matter what your skill level is. Right now, if we have our two best fisherman fish, we have an expected yield of 0-9 fish each time period. That was too good to last though, so after the last update, fishing now causes depression to increase as you sit around and reflect on your miserable life, so it is not as broken as before.

Jacob & Illyana – Research (Result – 48% completion - Jacob levels up and gains 9 skill points)
Al & Winters– Harvest fruit (Result – 6 fruit - Winters levels up and gains 11 skill points)

Night

It looks like everyone is celebrating tonight.

With hunger slaked with fruit and mystery meat, everyone can sleep well tonight and prepare for tomorrow.

With a diet of fish comes a cost though, since every bite of fish will cause us to get sicker and sicker. We can use herbs to hold down the sickness, but that means devoting people to gather them instead of doing other work. But that problem can wait for tomorrow.

Current Jobs-
Craft (2 people max)
Research (2 people max)
Rest (3 people max)
Chat (no max)
Explore (3 people max)
Fishing (2 people max)

Current Usable Items-
Toolbox (+5 Crafting)
Spices (+5 Cooking)
1x Empty Bottle
3x Dried Meals (decrease hunger from 10-15%)

Delvio fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Sep 29, 2015

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
Wait. Al got a positive opinion gain? From the woman who went off on him for being "Sexist"? After he told her to close her eyes to give her a massage to help her relax? :what:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Did you expect anything less from this game? :v:

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Did you expect anything less from this game? :v:

Honestly, I would have expected her or someone else to grab the machete and murder him before any real positive opinion gains.

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
Day 11 – Something fishy

Before we begin the day, we need to level up. Jacob goes from 10 Discussion to 19, and he also gets the Fishing Bait we found earlier for +5 Fishing skill. Bob has the Fishing Hobby trait that will give him 2x XP when fishing, so he will level up fast enough on his own.

Winters gets 4 Constitution to help with fatigue, and 7 points in Harvesting to help with collecting fruit. I need to put two wood go into the fire, so now we need 19 wood, 5 stone, and 14 rope for the cook pot.

AM Tasks
Yuri & Julia - Rest
Illyana – Research (Result – 62% completion)
Jacob & Bob – Fish (Result – 8x fish)
Al & Winters– Harvest fruit (Result – 7x fruit – 2 get juiced for water)
Alice – Explore (Result – found a sandcastle)

Well that is cheery. Lets have Julia spruce the place up a bit.

That cheered her up. Now we can see what is in the castle treasury.

Unfortunately, it appears that the castle is more fortified than expected.

After losing the guards, Julia finds 3x Healing Water, which will cure 20% sickness each. She also manages to gain back all of the depression that she just lost decorating.

Before the afternoon session starts, Jacob gets the Psychology magazine for the +5 Discussion skill so that he can lose some of the fishing induced depression. Most everybody is depressed, so now that our food situation is stabilized for now, we can finally spare some time to chat.

PM Tasks
Al, Julia, Yuri, Bob, & Jacob – Chat for a while. They all lose some depression, and a little bit of fatigue, but during the chat one of Bob's hidden traits is revealed. Let's see what dire secret he was hiding.

Well, I guess that one was fairly obvious. At least he is a good fisherman.

Illyana – Research (Result – 75% completion)
Winters– We need everything, so I have her gather randomly (Result – 3 wood, 1 rope, 1 herb)
Alice – Explore (Result – 89% of the sector explored)

Night

Thankfully, we have more food than just Bob's secret stash. Everyone gets a whole raw fish, and a lucky few get some fruit for dessert.

The fish was fairly filling, but each fish has a chance of 0-2 sickness. Thankfully only Al & Julie were affected. We can easily treat that tomorrow with the herbs, but we really need to get the materials for that cookpot ready. Now that everyone is less depressed, we can get them doing real work again.

Current Jobs-
Craft (2 people max)
Research (2 people max)
Rest (3 people max)
Chat (no max)
Explore (3 people max)
Fishing (2 people max)

Current Usable Items-
Toolbox (+5 Crafting)
Spices (+5 Cooking)
1x Empty Bottle
3x Healing Water (-20% sickness)

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
Day 12 – Hanging around

We managed to find food, but it is slowly going to kill us with various aquatic microorganisms. One the logs we need for construction goes to the fire, so we now need 22 more wood for the cook-pot. Hopefully having both Al and Yuri gathering will get us closer to our goal of a home-cooked meal.

AM Tasks
Alice, Illyana & Julia - Rest
Jacob & Bob – Fish (Result – 7 fish)
Winters– Harvest fruit (Result – 3x fruit – 1 gets juiced for water)
Al & Yuri – Gather randomly (Result –2x wood, 3x stone, 2x rope, 3x herb)

Al and Julia are both still queasy from last night's amateur sushi dinner, so I give them both a green herb or two to calm their stomach. They are both down to 0% sickness, so they the sickness will not increase on its own, and will not spread to other people.

PM Tasks
Al & Winters - Rest
Julia, Bob, & Jacob – Chat
Illyana – Research (Result – 85% completion)
Yuri – Gather randomly (Result –3x wood, 2x stone, 2x rope, 1x herb)
Alice – Explore (Result – Found a hanged man?)

Well, I suppose that is better than the other type of hanging. Searching him might give us some cool stuff, but we do need a lot of rope for the cooking pot, so I will leave the choice up to you guys.

Night

You do remember that she is married to a man who is built like Ivan Drago? Of course, considering how they dislike each other, he might be glad to get rid of her.

Our fish dinner manages to infect only three people tonight, which conveniently matches the amount of healing herbs that we have on hand.

Current goal:

We have enough stone on hand, which is not needed for anything else at the moment, so we will not need to collect anymore, but we need 17x wood, plus some for the fire, and 9x rope, which we could get from the Hanged Man. Of course, we could cut him down and search him for goodies, but that is your choice and not mine.

Current Jobs-
Craft (2 people max)
Research (2 people max)
Rest (3 people max)
Chat (no max)
Explore (3 people max)
Fishing (2 people max)

Current Usable Items-
Toolbox (+5 Crafting)
Spices (+5 Cooking)
1x Empty Bottle
3x Healing Water (-20% sickness)

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Search the hanged man. Though it's kind of dumb that there's no attempt to justify why this is a binary choice; like if there was a pit of acid the body was hanging over, half of the rope was tied to his foot and the other half was connected to an otherwise unreachable outcropping that was already cracking under the weight of one human it would be ridiculous but hypothetically I'd at least appreciate the attempt to try and make it make sense why you cannot take the rope and still search the body after or vice-versa as opposed to just blatantly saying "This is DM fiat and you don't get to take the rope and search the body, make your choice."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Can you just quarantine Jacob somehow until you have some way to level his conversational skills up?

• Locked thread