Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Hell Gem

Captain Bravo posted:

Source: every vocalist, politician, broadcaster, and person who's taken even an introductory course about public speaking/singing.
They're all retarded, the body will return to normothermia very quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inokichi
Nov 3, 2005

Unless they're really about to sing immediately, does it really matter? But on the other hand personally preference is a thing to but nobody deserves to be an rear end in a top hat about it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Captain Bravo posted:

I was using "vocal chords" as a catch-all term, but if you want to get specific:

Source: every vocalist, politician, broadcaster, and person who's taken even an introductory course about public speaking/singing.

Sure, I guess some people don't know this and it's fine, plus the dude was a bit snippy with you, but to keep bringing him ice afterwards is a dick move. If I send a burger back and say I wanted mustard only, and you bring me a bun with just mustard on it and no patty, I'm probably going to get in a bad mood too.

Edit: Lemme be clear, I'm not saying there was anything wrong with the first glass. I wouldn't expect everyone to know that singers prefer non-ice water. And he was a bit snarky with you. But to then continue to bring him ice, and conclude with the fact that he tipped you anyway kind of blows my mind.

Jesus christ, you're calling the poster a dick for not being psychic. The guy didn't ask for no ice. He didn't say "do not bring me ice." This was not said. He made a sarcastic-rear end comment that any sane, non-psychic person would interpret as "less ice" not "no ice."

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
no he's right that's why all the world's professional singers live between the tropics of cancer and capricorn and vocalists never ever travel outside of that belt for fear of PERMANENTLY RUINING their vocal cords by BEING COLD!!!!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Captain Bravo posted:

I was using "vocal chords" as a catch-all term, but if you want to get specific:
For actual content, the worst customer I've ever had is the one that took a poo poo on my floor.

I don't think she meant to, it was probably an accident. The fast-food place I worked at was located off a major highway that was jam-packed with cars fleeing a hurricane, so customers were literally lined up outside the door. This woman made it to about halfway through the line before she couldn't hold it in anymore, and dropped a big ol' turd right on the floor. She then sprinted to the women's room, dripping feces the entire way, and destroyed one of the stalls. Thankfully, I was not the low-man on the totem pole at that point, and the newbie got assigned to clean it up. Unfortunately, he wasn't willing to, and quit rather than deal with it, and so I ended up having to be the unlucky bastard who tonged the turd into the trash, and then mopped the offensive trail three times. Thankfully, I didn't end up having to de-poop the stall, but the woman who did told me the entire gruesome tale.

This is your fault for working in a store near a highway during a hurricane.

To put the stupid ice thing to bed, all Joe Jackson had to do was ask for a glass of water with NO ICE. The first time I thought he meant "too much ice". I was only being a dick the third time with the single ice cube and after he'd insulted my co-worker.

And no, sorry. I was 21 years old at the time and not particularly well schooled about singers and their vocal chords. Maybe you had to be there but, trust me, the guy was a total jerk the entire time.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Bum the Sad posted:

They're all retarded, the body will return to normothermia very quickly.

Yes, ice water will only make a difference if you're drinking it backstage or during rehearsals. Ice water with your lunch won't affect anything.

I used to take vocal lessons and sing fairly regularly and the only thing I avoided before a performance was milk and soda.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

BiggerBoat posted:

This is your fault for working in a store near a highway during a hurricane.

To put the stupid ice thing to bed, all Joe Jackson had to do was ask for a glass of water with NO ICE. The first time I thought he meant "too much ice". I was only being a dick the third time with the single ice cube and after he'd insulted my co-worker.

And no, sorry. I was 21 years old at the time and not particularly well schooled about singers and their vocal chords. Maybe you had to be there but, trust me, the guy was a total jerk the entire time.
Customers who make vague and passive-aggressive snipes at the people serving them are terrible pieces of poo poo. If you had been rude or something or if he made his desires explicitly clear, but he's just an rear end in a top hat, sounds like.

I would get this a lot at the dry cleaner - a lot of guys don't understand what launder+press service is, and they also don't understand what starching clothing is, so they conflate the two in their minds and then throw a fit when their shirts weren't starched (because they never asked, just assuming that we starch every shirt which makes them wear out ten times faster, and feel like you're wearing cardboard.) I mean you can literally take a starched men's shirt and stand it up like it's on a manikin, there's no way I'm doing that to anybody's clothes unless they ask me to, I ruined one of my long sleeve tees by spilling starch all over one arm, it was like I had a toilet paper tube on my arm for about ten washings.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Joe Jackson is a dick. I read his autobiography and he came across like a super Nice Guy.

A normal human being would say after the first glass: "sorry I should have clarified. Can I get a glass of water with no ice at all?" That is how a normal human being would handle that situation.

Schneider Inside Her fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 11, 2015

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
Better than Turin Brakes.
My first ever job was part time in a butchers. Christmas was really stressful as the entire town would pre order their turkeys and whatever else. The last couple of days before christmas I'd get there at 8am or so and there'd already be people queuing all the way up the street like dorks at an Apple launch. Those days were complete chaos. Fights between customers, customers going mental on us..I guess like black friday but with meat. I think people just go to Tesco nowadays?

After christmas one of the regular customers came in, nice lady who we were really friendly with, and went complete batshit mental on us. Screaming about us being scammers etc. Apparently she'd pre ordered some ham or something for xmas and her mother had also pre ordered the same sort of stuff. They'd both been in before christmas , picked up and paid for their order. Somehow this had caused a huge problem (too much ham I guess) and was somehow our fault. She threatened to sue and all sorts of poo poo. Even came back the next weekend to stand outside and warn people off. Never got my head around that one.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
How is having too much ham a problem? Ham lasts forever and is delicious.

What a lunatic

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I swear this thread makes me think there are a lot more insane people running around that anyone suspects.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

GORDON posted:

I swear this thread makes me think there are a lot more insane people running around that anyone suspects.

Pretty much.

quote:

Mental disorders are common in the United States and internationally. An estimated 26.2 percent of Americans ages 18 and older or about one in four adults suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year. When applied to the 2004 U.S. Census residential population estimate for ages 18 and older, this figure translates to 57.7 million people.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
You know how family gatherings are often awkward because there's always a part of your extended family who are a bit strange? The reason they stand out so much is because you, consciously or not, make an effort to avoid people who seem to be a bit off in your everyday life. Maybe every once in a while you run into someone making a scene at a restaurant, or get hassled for directions by someone with poor social skills. But for the most part, you don't interact with them regularly, and instead choose to spend most of your time with people like yourself. So to you the average person is pretty normal.

Retail work is being paid to serve all those weirdos you usually avoid for several hours a day, several days a week.

gingersmurf
Feb 21, 2007

I am Nigeria's bitch.

Captain Bravo posted:

and so I ended up having to be the unlucky bastard who tonged the turd into the trash, and then mopped the offensive trail three times. Thankfully, I didn't end up having to de-poop the stall, but the woman who did told me the entire gruesome tale.

Good God Gert. I read that as TONGUED the turd and I drat near threw up on my laptop. Gak!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

gingersmurf posted:

Good God Gert. I read that as TONGUED the turd and I drat near threw up on my laptop. Gak!

Me, 12 years ago. :v:

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015
Customer calls 911 about discontent with equipment pricing...

A couple years back while managing an equipment sales department I had my worst customer ever. I was the 'last resort' for handling unhappy customers. My policy for all employees is to 'kill them with kindness' and try to be understanding of irate customers. After all, we're all human and have a bad day now and then.

By the time I got to the sales floor from my office the 'customer' had already chewed up and spit out all of the floor staff and one of my office staff. They all stood around the counter looking forlorn and frustrated. As I approached the 'customer' had just dialed 911 and was explaining to the 911 operator about how he thought a piece of equipment was one price, but the store staff was trying to charge him a different price (the unit was priced $10 more than he thought it should be).

I looked at the guy, looked at my staff, and back at the guy taking in the whole ridiculous scene. The guy was a cranky old man that was obviously used to abusing customer service employees wherever he went. For the first time in my customer service career I didn't even ask the customer his side of the story. I just told him that he needed to leave NOW. He tried arguing with me, but I wouldn't have it. Enough is enough. I put him between me and the door and got within an inch of him and barked him out of the store never to return. When I came back in my staff applauded.

My superiors heard about the event and never said a word to me about it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GORDON posted:

There are also a lot of just plain assholes, as most of this thread documents. Quite a lot of Americans view retail workers as subhuman, unworthy of common courtesy or respect.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Did you get married?

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

maporfic posted:

Customer calls 911 about discontent with equipment pricing...

A couple years back while managing an equipment sales department I had my worst customer ever. I was the 'last resort' for handling unhappy customers. My policy for all employees is to 'kill them with kindness' and try to be understanding of irate customers. After all, we're all human and have a bad day now and then.

By the time I got to the sales floor from my office the 'customer' had already chewed up and spit out all of the floor staff and one of my office staff. They all stood around the counter looking forlorn and frustrated. As I approached the 'customer' had just dialed 911 and was explaining to the 911 operator about how he thought a piece of equipment was one price, but the store staff was trying to charge him a different price (the unit was priced $10 more than he thought it should be).

I looked at the guy, looked at my staff, and back at the guy taking in the whole ridiculous scene. The guy was a cranky old man that was obviously used to abusing customer service employees wherever he went. For the first time in my customer service career I didn't even ask the customer his side of the story. I just told him that he needed to leave NOW. He tried arguing with me, but I wouldn't have it. Enough is enough. I put him between me and the door and got within an inch of him and barked him out of the store never to return. When I came back in my staff applauded.

My superiors heard about the event and never said a word to me about it.

And that man was Albert Enstein.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
A lady brought a big plate of food when I was working alone in a gas station on Thanksgiving. It was probably not a big deal to her but I was feeling pretty bad and it helped that someone thought of me. Also it was very good food.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Captain Bravo posted:

Sure, I guess some people don't know this and it's fine, plus the dude was a bit snippy with you, but to keep bringing him ice afterwards is a dick move. If I send a burger back and say I wanted mustard only, and you bring me a bun with just mustard on it and no patty, I'm probably going to get in a bad mood too.

Edit: Lemme be clear, I'm not saying there was anything wrong with the first glass. I wouldn't expect everyone to know that singers prefer non-ice water. And he was a bit snarky with you. But to then continue to bring him ice, and conclude with the fact that he tipped you anyway kind of blows my mind.

For actual content, the worst customer I've ever had is the one that took a poo poo on my floor.

I don't think she meant to, it was probably an accident. The fast-food place I worked at was located off a major highway that was jam-packed with cars fleeing a hurricane, so customers were literally lined up outside the door. This woman made it to about halfway through the line before she couldn't hold it in anymore, and dropped a big ol' turd right on the floor. She then sprinted to the women's room, dripping feces the entire way, and destroyed one of the stalls. Thankfully, I was not the low-man on the totem pole at that point, and the newbie got assigned to clean it up. Unfortunately, he wasn't willing to, and quit rather than deal with it, and so I ended up having to be the unlucky bastard who tonged the turd into the trash, and then mopped the offensive trail three times. Thankfully, I didn't end up having to de-poop the stall, but the woman who did told me the entire gruesome tale.

To be fair, I'd probably quit if I was forced to clean up poo poo on the floor. I have an alarmingly weak stomach.

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015

RabbitWizard posted:

Did you get married?

Yes. How did you know?

kinda new here as a member, didn't realize there would be freaking psychics. Props on the ESP.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I used to work part-time at an aquarium centre, which was pretty fun, although most of the stories center around behind-the-scenes incidents rather than customers. There was one standout, however.

A completely normal middle-aged woman came in, chatted with one of my co-workers, Brian, about which was the best food for her fish, all nice and friendly. He recommended a certain brand, she picked up a couple of boxes and then casually headed for the exit without paying. Brian followed her, trying to tell her that she needed to actually pay for the food but she kept walking, telling him she was 'in a hurry and needed to pick up her children from school'.

Brian wasn't prepared to actually try to physically restrain her but he followed her out into the car park, still trying to convince her to pay for the food. She got into her car and Brian walked around to the front of it, put his hands on the hood and told her that he wasn't going to let her leave, obviously figuring that she wasn't about to run him down over two boxes of fish food.

He figured wrong. She floored it, Brian ended up on the hood as she drove down the length of the car park and when she took the corner to exit he slid off, smashing his head into the exhaust pipe of a parked car, slicing his scalp open. He managed to get her license plate number as she left and the police were called. The last I heard she was apprehended and charged with attempted murder initially, but it was downgraded to grievous bodily harm - I don't know the outcome of the case.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

maporfic posted:

Yes. How did you know?

kinda new here as a member, didn't realize there would be freaking psychics. Props on the ESP.

Oh, just noticed your reg-date. Here's a thread about Einstein applauding all the time while getting married to Peter Pan. That's where my comment (and the one from Taste the Rainbugh) derived from.

And if you're interested, you got quoted there.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Lemon posted:

A completely normal middle-aged woman came in, chatted with one of my co-workers, Brian, about which was the best food for her fish, all nice and friendly. He recommended a certain brand, she picked up a couple of boxes and then casually headed for the exit without paying. Brian followed her, trying to tell her that she needed to actually pay for the food but she kept walking, telling him she was 'in a hurry and needed to pick up her children from school'.
He figured wrong. She floored it, Brian ended up on the hood as she drove down the length of the car park and when she took the corner to exit he slid off, smashing his head into the exhaust pipe of a parked car, slicing his scalp open. He managed to get her license plate number as she left and the police were called. The last I heard she was apprehended and charged with attempted murder initially, but it was downgraded to grievous bodily harm - I don't know the outcome of the case.
This is one of those stories where you just wonder if anybody bothered to give her a blood test for being high as gently caress on xanax of oxy or some poo poo. I've known some trophy moms like that when I was growing up and going to private high school, and I'd say that it's pretty likely she either was suffering from an un/semi-diagnosed mental illness (schizo or manic most likely) or she was hosed up on Housewife Specials.

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015

RabbitWizard posted:

Oh, just noticed your reg-date. Here's a thread about Einstein applauding all the time while getting married to Peter Pan. That's where my comment (and the one from Taste the Rainbugh) derived from.

And if you're interested, you got quoted there.

Wow, so you guys pretty much read these boards and troll people who post here. Incredible hobby. It's like you're the cyber-police-enforcers who troll comments and provide Internet quality control.

As a customer of the Internet, I thank you for such great service.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

maporfic posted:

Wow, so you guys pretty much read these boards and troll people who post here. Incredible hobby. It's like you're the cyber-police-enforcers who troll comments and provide Internet quality control.

and everybody applauded as he made this post.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

:golfclap:

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

This is from really early in the thread but

SalTheBard posted:

I've also worked over the last 7 years as an Optician for a variety of companies.

Best Experience: Working with little kids. Early on in my optical career I helped a girl who was roughly 7 years old. She had a really high RX which means she had never really seen clearly like her entire life. Her Mom was really beside herself about it because she felt guilty about not realizing that her daughter couldn't see poo poo. The girl put on her glasses, blinked, took them off, put them back on and then just started smiling. She looked at her mother and said "Mom the trees have shapes on them! (referring to the leaves)" and the mother just started bawling profusely. That was about 5 years ago and it still warms my heart to this day.

I think this is really common, more or less the exact same thing happened with me when I got glasses aged 11. Except it was a carpet that I was delighted to see the patterns on, and my mum was only a little guilty.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Weldon Pemberton posted:

I think this is really common, more or less the exact same thing happened with me when I got glasses aged 11. Except it was a carpet that I was delighted to see the patterns on, and my mum was only a little guilty.

One of the first sentences out of my mouth after leaving the optometrist's office for the first time at age six: "I didn't know those buildings had windows!" A coupla big, tall buildings in lower Manhattan.

My mother also felt terrible.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

maporfic posted:

Well, if you don't like it here, why don't you go to [other forum]?

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

maporfic posted:

You paid :10bux: to sign up for a comedy Internet forum. What did you expect?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I expect to be treated LIKE A HUMAN BEING GOD DAMNIT

not like all these people who work in retail.

Realtalk: funny to read this thread living in the UK and having visited the States quite a few times. People in the US will be bending over backwards to help you, and will sometimes genuinely smile. Not even a fake smile, but real. Everybody in the UK celebrated the day they invented electronic checkout, I tell you what. On the flipside native Brits will be far too embarrassed to make a scene in a shop most of the time.

Like, sometimes I buy a coffee and they ask me black or white. And I say white, but get black, and I take it because I don't want to sound like a dick, even though it's a perfectly reasonable mistake to expect them to correct. I've had friends from abroad get really confused in a supermarket because everybody is constantly apologising to everybody else for the most trivial reasons, like walking a little bit in front of their trolley or brushing past their clothes.

I'm even sorry right now, for making this post.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One of my co-workers had a woman flip the gently caress out at her yesterday because when she got to the checkout she'd picked up a tester instead of a for-sale lipstick.

I don't really know a) how you do that when testers have a big purple sticker on them saying TESTER and b) why that's the fault of the person working on the makeup stand.

Apparently it was in the main cassete instead of in the little tester slot but I dunno how you shop for makeup without learning to check first whether someone's opened the thing you're going to buy because people are dirty bastards and open them constantly.

Also dunno why yelling at the shop floor staff makes the inconvenience of walking 20 feet to the cosmetic booth from the cashiers less soul-destroying but apparently it does.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
So, a good customer.

When I used to work at an older store in the produce department, we had this old guy who used to come in about every other Sunday. He always, always had something to say along the lines of "Hey, has anyone told you this week that you guys and gals here are doing an amazing job? I think you folks are just doing fantastic, and I want to tell you that I appreciate all the hard work you do. I know it can't always be perfect, but you are just doing amazing." He would do this at every department he walked by, or would stop employees to tell them that he appreciated their work. Most of the regulars at that store were pretty great, with only a couple notable bad people.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I worked at one of those warehouse-style grocery stored during college, no frills to save the customer money or whatever. A dude came in once, walked around with a shopping cart, bought like 3 items and asked for a carry-out, which we normally don't do unless you ask, but one of the grocery guys was kind enough to carry out this dudes Pepsi and chips or whatever. Dude walks the grocery guy to the edge of the parking lot, hops into his brand-new off the lot van (stickers from the dealership still on it), and tips the dude $5. About thirty seconds later he sticks a gun in his mouth and offs himself, still sitting in the parking lot.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I worked at one of those warehouse-style grocery stored during college, no frills to save the customer money or whatever. A dude came in once, walked around with a shopping cart, bought like 3 items and asked for a carry-out, which we normally don't do unless you ask, but one of the grocery guys was kind enough to carry out this dudes Pepsi and chips or whatever. Dude walks the grocery guy to the edge of the parking lot, hops into his brand-new off the lot van (stickers from the dealership still on it), and tips the dude $5. About thirty seconds later he sticks a gun in his mouth and offs himself, still sitting in the parking lot.

Merry christmas, everyone!

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Feels like there's some kind of lesson here, it's just going right over my head.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

jodai posted:

Feels like there's some kind of lesson here, it's just going right over my head.

Fairly obvious, pepsi = death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I'm dying to know what those three items were.

• Locked thread