Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

A Melodic Miner posted:

Time to finish the Ph.D is probably 3-6 more years (and 0 cost, I'm funded), but there aren't any jobs. To put this in perspective, it's not unheard of for an opening in a tenure track position to attract 500 applications. There are adjunct jobs, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life making <$30k/year with 0 job security and no benefits (adjunct positions are typically one year). My Ph.D program has graduated around two dozen people in the last ten years and only one of them has secured employment in the profession. This state of affairs probably seems insane to people outside academia, but the job market really is that bad, and will probably only get worse. I do not want to teach high school under any circumstances, but even if I did I'd have to do at least another year of school to get a teaching license.

And yeah, I suppose I am just taking random advice, but it's advice from people who I trust and who make the sort of money and live the sort of life that I think I could see myself living (and who have job security/good prospects for employment). I realize that at any other point in time the obvious answer would be law school (it's maybe the only career where the skills of a philosophy grad student are actually useful), but I don't want to jump from one sinking ship to another and I really want to avoid going into debt if at all possible.

I don't know if it works this way in Pholosphy, but have you done enough work that you could get awarded an MA? I know in science getting handed a master's is a bitter consolation prize, but if you're only 3 years in that is ok for a master's. Can you do a short write-up, or something, and get an MA? That'd give you an additional degree (albeit a less-useful one) with little to no time or effort added-on. Where you've got the guts to admit it earlier-on, getting an MA after 3 years is actually a pretty good exchange of time+effort for a degree.

MA or no, one thing I'd recommend is just spending a lot of time looking at job ads. Maybe not even to apply, but just to see what kind of stuff is getting done. Open up your local craigslist, go to open jobs, and just start reading. Everything from "plumber's helper" to "VP of analytics". See if there's anything appealing right now where you live. You never know- maybe there's a job open 5 mins down the road from you that you'd love and would pay the bills.

I'd recommend against spending on further formal degree-seeking schooling. It's tempting coming from academia to see degrees as some kind of essential component of life, but honestly at this point you've got plenty of letters after your name, you've spent plenty of time and effort, just go with what you got as far as degrees go. If you want to get into InfoSec or whatever get all the Certs you want, mind you. It's still good to invest in yourself. If you're not happy in grad school now and you want to get working and moving on with your life, don't go back to school again.

I'm sorry to say but the days of just getting the right degree and getting a guaranteed job are over for all but a handful of specialties. If you had an undergrad in petroleum engineering, that'd be different, but you don't. Getting more school than you already have will make little to no difference in your employment prospects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread