Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

A Melodic Miner posted:

A few of my close friends work in digital forensics/infosec and tell me that there's an large amount of money and a dire shortage of qualified people, but I have no real idea how to approach breaking into that field (Are certifications enough? Do I need to go back to school? Do programs even exist?).

I left graduate school relatively recently and went into IT security after about a year of working. Your friends in infosec probably have some good ideas on how to get into their industry. Based on my the people I've met, I'd go for certifications over going back to school. I've met a lot of people working in IT security who have computer scienc-y degrees, and plenty of people with degrees in other fields. My degrees are in math.

There is an IT thread which would probably give you more well-rounded advice on the best way to go about it. My company has an IT security component, so I found out what certifications they liked, passed the exam for one, was able to use that fact to get an internal transfer+promotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread