Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I know it's not *just* supposed to be drawing power, but the idea that Edge is questionable as a draw next to other inductees (Angle, Benoit, Guerrero, Mysterio, Jericho) seems weird to me. I know that all of those people worked outside of the WWE, and Angle was (briefly) a draw on top at TNA. I assume Mysterio is/was a draw in Mexico, but did any of the other three really work on top/in money drawing angles outside of WWE? I'd give the edge to all of them (except maybe Jericho) in terms of in-ring performance at their peaks, but Edge is still miles ahead of Sting or Warrior or whatever other borderline guy of years past.

Is there a limited number of votes you can turn in each year? I'm kind of surprised Punk got as low as he did, though I could probably be convinced he's not deserving. Bryan seems to be sort of the more perfect example of the Punk candidacy, in that you could argue they were never a long-term main event draw in WWE, but they had a big headlining body of work in the indies where they drew about as much money as any has been able to demonstrably draw in that setting, then performed about as well as anyone can do in the modern WWE system, all while performing at a high quality level. Bryan had less time on top in WWE, but his indie work blows away Punk's in terms of breadth and depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Just because this sort of thing entertains me, I am cross-checking Observer Awards and the HOF.

Bryan won "Most Outstanding Wrestler" five times in a row. Out of the eleven people who won1986-2005, they're all in the HOF aside from Samoa Joe (2005) and Koji Kanemoto (1999). As someone who paid no attention to Japan at the time, who is that?
Bryan won "Best Technical Wrestler" NINE times in a row, from 2005-2013, finally getting unseated by Zack Sabre Jr last year. Out of the sixteen people who won that 1980-2004, the only ones not in are Dean Malenko and a couple more late 1990s Japanese guys I'm only passingly familiar with (Minoru Tanaka, Otani)

So yeah, it seems like Bryan should get in based on his work, but also who are these other fellows? What happened to them? I know Otani is still around, but not with New Japan?

Oh right also, Edge's WON accolades:

Best Tag Team (2000)
Match of the Year (in a tag match with Angle/Benoit/Mysterio, 2002)
Worst Match of the Year (Edge/HHH/Koslov, 2008)
Worst Feud of the Year (Edge vs. Kane, 2010)

Also I'm pretty sure I watched some Minoru Tanaka matches on YouTube or something, got confused that he wasn't Masato Tanaka, and overwrote that memory as being a young Tanahashi.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 14, 2015

• Locked thread