Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

How far out do you need to go before you start consistently finding unexplored systems? I've found a couple around red giants but the more promising ones are, predictably, explored. I'm going 'up' and around the galaxy instead of toward the middle. I haven't gone very far yet, I'm just wondering when I might start hitting pay dirt.

I headed out to Pleiades and it was all scanned. From there I headed out to the rim but got stuck in dead-ends and quickly tired of that. Then I did a Google search for black holes and found one that was about 7kly away and headed out there. Almost every system was unexplored on the way (I expected the hole to be visited already, and it was), and on the way back to inhabited space I've only just started seeing explored systems now I'm less than 800ly away from people. I'll be interested to see what I make on exploration bounties after a round trip of 20kly or so with two-thirds of it virgin territory.

I'll do something similar when I do it again - go out some distance and then angle back in on a target so I'm off the beaten track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

We played some CQC today, it is fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7JBQvh2Rjg

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Libluini posted:

On the other hand, if you like flying spaceships and aren't really interested in any of that superfluos other crap, preordering the game and every expansion as soon as it is possible isn't a bad decision either.

There are many people who would say preordering everything the moment you can is maybe not a great plan and can encourage shady development practices.

tooterfish posted:

Well sure, that's valid. There's still a lot of stuff the game needs that's not there right now. Although they were pretty clear during the KS that this would be an ongoing project.

Hand wringing about Horizons purchasers being "rewarded" for waiting and getting the base game for free is total bollocks though. The loyalty discount for existing players could be more in my opinion, but giving the base game away with Horizons actually makes sense. It will be a year old by then after all, and it'll encourage new players to come in.

I avoided the KS, like Early Access stuff there are too many games that never seem to get finished or I end up getting my fill of the unfinished version and am done with it by the time it's finally complete. I just saw that it was marketed as a full release and got too excited :(

Anyone who didn't expect the base game to either be bundled in somehow or massively discounted is apparently new to how expansion packs tend to work. However they also tend to cost 1/2 - 2/3 the price of the original game, and that's their retail price rather than some silly "buy it now before we raise the price" move.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Libluini posted:

Yes, you could try to reach the galactic edge, for example. Or try to make your own private map of human space. Or make up any other tasks you prefer. Some people even do some mining.

Yeah that's the meta but the actual steps to doing it are still what I listed right? Are there hazards associated with fringe space? Popping out in front of suns is really cool, but so far I just have to not fly into them. Is mining just tedium?

What I mean is that if you are playing it as a space truck sim currently I'm pretty much only parking. In between I don't have to stay in my lane, avoid other cars, adjust for road hazards, or even really navigate. I just point in a vague direction, hit a key a few times, and wait.

Not that I'm saying all those kinda tasks make sense in a space environment (space is super big and all) but just to indicate how it feels like I'm not interacting much in even the casual way of a truck sim except with my big galaxy map. Which is a shame because like I said actually just moving the ship around is kinda fun.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
No sir

Not me

I never lost control

You're face

to face

With the Frog who Sold the World

The Diamond Frogs, coming to, this September 3301

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

:woop::getin:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
^^^ just realized that isn't an edit, it's in the actual game?? :getin:

Btw i do have some basic trade routes laid out, it's a three stop loop at 1890 a ton profit more or less. Is that good?

Edit: guess it isn't the best, but it is pretty quick, all stations are less than 30 ly from each other.

If you are really lazy you can trade between two of the stations in 63 G. for 700 a ton :eng101:

Fittingly, our HQ system's chief import is COFFEE :black101:

Literally Kermit fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 16, 2015

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Beautiful stuff. Reminds me of something:

"In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....maybe you can hire The A Team Diamond Frogs."

Literally Kermit posted:

Btw i do have some basic trade routes laid out, it's a three stop loop at 1890 a ton profit more or less. Is that good?

Edit: guess it isn't the best, but it is pretty quick, all stations are less than 30 ly from each other.

If you are really lazy you can trade between two of the stations in 63 G. for 700 a ton :eng101:

Fittingly, our HQ system's chief import is COFFEE :black101:

When grinding some cash for my Orca I used this trade route, and barely dented the supply/demand - it's a bloody good one. Very near 63 G Capriconi too. If anyone has lots of money, but still needs more, have at it:

LFT 37, Savinykh Hub (375Ls), Imp Slaves <--> Teaka, Valdes Hub (71Ls), Beryllium

Abusing the Torval slave discount like a boss. I'd have taken the 2.5K+ profit on the slaves alone as a decent round trip profit earlier on in the game, but the return journey will get you 1500-ish per ton too. Stations are pretty close to stars. Downside is they are 50LY apart, which is 3 jumps in a stripped down, all-cargo* Anaconda (maybe can get it to 2 in an Asp?). You get the odd pointless interdiction, but it's insane money if you can haul a lot with a good jump range.

*well, almost all - 464 instead of 468. I bought a docking computer! Never thought that would happen, but for the loss of ~12K profit I get to not have to faff around landing this thing manually.

xiansi fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 16, 2015

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Do you also get a free space balloon ride upon sign-up?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah I'm not objecting to the concept of paying for the expansion in and of itself, it just doesn't sit right that it's the same as a full-price game whether I own the base game or not. It may not be entirely rational, I admit that, but it feels like I'm being asked to pay for the same content twice, especially when I could be a newcomer and be paying the same amount as I am for the expansion alone and getting all of it anyway. It's like, I dunno, a weird inverted version of an opportunity cost or something? Also the comparison to when other games release GOTY versions doesn't really fit because in those cases you can usually just buy whatever bits of DLC you might have missed for a fraction of the price of the full game, or in some cases upgrade to the GOTY version for a smaller price if you already own the game. Unless it's a Witcher game :v: Then you just get it.

At the end of the day if I don't judge it to be worth it, I can always just hope it comes down in price at some point in the future and be happy in the meantime I got my moneys worth from the base game. Either way there's much more wringing of hands to be done so I'd better knuckle down.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Docking computer is awesome. I set auto-dock, then go get a drink and let the dogs out.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

AndroidHub posted:

Welcome Commander

Erection Sustained. If they ever add in Huge sized Fixed Beams I won't ever leave.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I'm flying in CQC not unlike a handicapped child. Also the condor is loving tinfoil with dime-story laser pointers and a roman candle attached.

I loving love CQC, gotta see if this virtual joystick poo poo can help me aim a little better.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'll be goddamned

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I know :frontear: and all but... I gotta say, I'm impressed with the effect Powerplay has had on the game. I felt the game was always lacking some personality, and now that Powerplay is a thing it's at least at a solid start.

Also all the small things that have cumulative side effects. Such as players who support a power and choose to gain merits through undermining end up accumulate massive bounties, which leads to player bounty hunting actually being more of a thing, etc. Good stuff.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Groggy nard posted:

Erection Sustained. If they ever add in Huge sized Fixed Beams I won't ever leave.

Yeah, they've almost gotta add more huge weapons with 1.5, otherwise double huges will be pretty much a waste, beams are also my #1 wish for class 4s.

:eyepop:

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 16, 2015

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

:flashfap:

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Well, time to set course for Frog, then.

Not sure how many jumps away I am.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

How did that make it past their editors or whatever? I mean, they had to have someone who had played MGSV. :golfclap:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Galaga Galaxian posted:

How did that make it past their editors or whatever? I mean, they had to have someone who had played MGSV. :golfclap:

Every person on their dev team

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

:gowron:

Time to ride the balloon.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Siets posted:

I know :frontear: and all but... I gotta say, I'm impressed with the effect Powerplay has had on the game. I felt the game was always lacking some personality, and now that Powerplay is a thing it's at least at a solid start.

Also all the small things that have cumulative side effects. Such as players who support a power and choose to gain merits through undermining end up accumulate massive bounties, which leads to player bounty hunting actually being more of a thing, etc. Good stuff.

:agreed:

Everyone loves to pick apart the mechanics of it and whatever but I think it has definitely made the game more interesting overall.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It walks a fine line between between obnoxious obviousness and plausible deniability. If there was no MGS V, this info fluff would still be very at home at elite dangerous, a game full of morally ambiguous mercenaries drift on a sea of endless political driven bullshit. Which happens to be peak Metal Gear.

Nah just kidding, I have no idea how we pulled off 'Diamond Frogs' but someone or someones deserve a medal because this is fuckin' beautiful.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Literally Kermit posted:

It walks a fine line between between obnoxious obviousness and plausible deniability. If there was no MGS V, this info fluff would still be very at home at elite dangerous, a game full of morally ambiguous mercenaries drift on a sea of endless political driven bullshit. Which happens to be peak Metal Gear.

Nah just kidding, I have no idea how we pulled off 'Diamond Frogs' but someone or someones deserve a medal because this is fuckin' beautiful.

The best poo poo happens when I'm asleep or at work, I swear.

Hey, you mentioned wanting to see some experiments with cheapo annoying ship builds - I think I'm going to take that over when I get back home. Got any specific requests for builds/hulls? Sidey, Eagle, Adder?

Edit: Thought experiment, a Palwinder build. Exactly how nasty can you make a Sidewinder if we assume you start rom zero and some friendly goon tosses you four tons (a full Sidewinder cargo bay) of palladium?

A pretty okay one, turns out.

Assuming the about average marketprice of 13,5K per ton of palladium, you're left with a budget of 54K for upgrades (not counting the 32K for the base hull). Note that this is basically just a little more than the cost of a stock Eagle plus a third gun for that dorsal mount (47K with a third pulse laser).

This particular design doesn't got for anything fancy or complicated, like power stance dancing or the like (though it does take som power priority management); it's basically a stock Sidewinder simply upgraded in most ways.

Upgrading the vast majority of systems into lightweight, low-cost D-grade equipment keeps the final retrofit costs low while (thoretically) vastly inreasing the basic ship's performance - higher agility, better maneuverability, tougher shields. Most vitally the power distributor has been boosted all the way up to B-grade, making the ship much more forgiving in combat - the stock Sidewinder's power generator is actually pretty okay, the problem is getting it where it needs to go.

A hull reinforcement package, shield cell bank and chaff dispenser further increase your longevity - I chose to emphatize durability, seeing the Sidey's tanky role in CQC. I chose a B-grade shield cenn bank in particular because while it's cheaper than the A-grade, it also carries an extra cell for a total of 3. If you can trigger your cells properly when you hit the thirty or so percent mark on your shields, you can actually absorb more damage than a stock Viper before the bubble finally fails. Finally, a pair of burst lasers are a minor upgrade over the stock pulses - being able to put out damage in faster bursts mean you can deal a fair amount of damage between evasive maneuvers. Beam lasers would be beter, but require several seconds of uninterrupted burn for maximum effectiveness and are much, much more expensive.

Now, I'm not going to say that this is a ship that'll make you invincible - at its heart it's still a Sidewinder, afterall. However, the point is that this thing is cheap, easy to fit, and easy to fly - and, with a few basic skills, can (theoretialy) make for a surprisingly difficult target to actually take out. Shield cell banks and chaff dispensers on an agile hull can be pretty nasty - in my experience many players (partiularly those sticking to a gamepad or mouse&keyboard) rely on gimbaled weapons and being able to gently caress with that is invaluable for adding a couple of seconds of confusion. It's also very cheap and easy to upgrade to something more deadly, either with ship upgrades or simply replaxing it with an Eagle own the line (once you can afford a proper fit). Replacing one laser with a gimbaled multicannon would give you moe punch against armor (at the cost of adding another key bind ot keep a track of) and the hull reinforcement package can be switched out for the original cargo bay, fuel scoop, or an auxiliary fuel tank..

There's also the fact that, well.. it's a Sidewinder. The vast majority of players move up from it to more exciting ships the moment they have the chance to - hell, some of the pople who preordered likely never flew thiers any further than claiming their Freagle on launch. NPC sidewinders are weak and braindead, little more than flying target practice - motpilots are going to either think a Sidewinder plyer is n easy newbie or just plain ignore them. having one turn up that actually puts up a decent fight might ad just enough confusion to help.

Did I say one? I mean eight. Afterall, we're goons. One of these thigns might not be much of a threat, bt a whole wing or even two, acting in concert over voice cooms and hopefully lead by a bigger tougher ship? That'll be pretty drat nasty.

We are Goons. Our freewinders will blot out the sun, and they shall fight in the shade.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 16, 2015

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Drake_263 posted:

Hey, you mentioned wanting to see some experiments with cheapo annoying ship builds - I think I'm going to take that over when I get back home. Got any specific requests for builds/hulls? Sidey, Eagle, Adder?

Op: Power Bottom?
Imperial Eagle sounds tailor made for it. :getin:

Not just a *fast* ship with better guns than the regular Eagle, but the *fastest* ship. Sign me up.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Fanzay posted:

Not just a *fast* ship with better guns than the regular Eagle, but the *fastest* ship. Sign me up.

I know! Can't wait to give that thing a spin, though the lowered maneuverbility sounds like a shame.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Fanzay posted:

Its pretty luxurious too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4ifSgkMIFE

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

GaylordButts posted:

There are many people who would say preordering everything the moment you can is maybe not a great plan and can encourage shady development practices.

And they are 100% right. Which is why I was talking about Elite specifically. Most games interest me just enough I decide to maybe buy them on a Steam sale five years after they came out. I'm not in danger of encouraging shady development practices. :v:

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yeah that's the meta but the actual steps to doing it are still what I listed right? Are there hazards associated with fringe space? Popping out in front of suns is really cool, but so far I just have to not fly into them. Is mining just tedium?

What I mean is that if you are playing it as a space truck sim currently I'm pretty much only parking. In between I don't have to stay in my lane, avoid other cars, adjust for road hazards, or even really navigate. I just point in a vague direction, hit a key a few times, and wait.

Not that I'm saying all those kinda tasks make sense in a space environment (space is super big and all) but just to indicate how it feels like I'm not interacting much in even the casual way of a truck sim except with my big galaxy map. Which is a shame because like I said actually just moving the ship around is kinda fun.

I can speak only for exploration and keep in mind Horizons will add in planetary landings for rocky/icy planets without atmospheres (and there are tons of those), I obviously can't talk about that either since it hasn't come out yet.

Apart from that, just not flying into suns isn't enough to save you, it just seems that way because the galaxy is loving huge and a lot of star systems are quite harmless as long as you aren't moving from your drop-in point.

Hazards in space I know about are:

- Star systems with multiple suns sometimes drop you close enough to one or more suns you have to do more then just parking.
- Special stars like White Dwarfs, Neutron Stars, Black Holes and even T-Tauri Stars and other assorted crap can gently caress you over if underestimate them. It's easy to misjudge distance and get burned.
- Black Holes are a special case because if you get too close to them, you can't get away. Space suddenly curves around you, like it would in RL. You can jump out of course, if your remember no to panic.

Aside from that, if you feel you need to navigate more, just visit one of the many, many ring systems and asteroid belts. In my earlier exploration-adventures I visited an icy ring just to boost through it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTGO-szs1z8

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I'm trying to do an imperial navy promotion quest to bring in a stolen black box or something, do I just go look for unidentified signals in the specified system?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Crimson Harvest posted:

I'm trying to do an imperial navy promotion quest to bring in a stolen black box or something, do I just go look for unidentified signals in the specified system?

Yes.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

:O we actually got a faction? Someone just post what we can do to help this faction and I think this game will get some more hours out of me (outside of cqc which, when it works, is buckets o fun)

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Tom Guycot posted:

:O we actually got a faction? Someone just post what we can do to help this faction and I think this game will get some more hours out of me (outside of cqc which, when it works, is buckets o fun)

So far it's description only, factions will come later.

Also it's beta only so no point wasting time on a save that's getting wiped in a week or two.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

DarthBlingBling posted:

So far it's description only, factions will come later.

Also it's beta only so no point wasting time on a save that's getting wiped in a week or two.

ah well, looking forward to it none the less.

Also I just tested out the 3 new ships and... im not sure I understand the federal gunship. It maneuvers like the anaconda, its as fast as the anaconda but it has.. less guns and shields and power than an anaconda? what?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
It's 10x less expensive than the anaconda also so I'm not sure why that's the comparison ship?

When you say it's being added later do you mean to the beta or did they cuck us with just a description for 1.4?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Is there any way to shut up the cockpit voice over? I toggle Flight Assist on and off all the time in combat (sweet spins) and I don't need the DING FLIGHT ASSIST ON DING FLIGHT ASSIST OFF DING FLIGHT ASSIST ON the entire time. I'm fine with the sound but the voiceover is just unnecessary. Did they not think people would do this in combat?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Paramemetic posted:

It's 10x less expensive than the anaconda also so I'm not sure why that's the comparison ship?

When you say it's being added later do you mean to the beta or did they cuck us with just a description for 1.4?

As per the previous patch note, they not yet put in actual factions, but they just added descriptions to the systems.

So we'll get faction soon, probably once 1.4 is actually released

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Is there any way to shut up the cockpit voice over? I toggle Flight Assist on and off all the time in combat (sweet spins) and I don't need the DING FLIGHT ASSIST ON DING FLIGHT ASSIST OFF DING FLIGHT ASSIST ON the entire time. I'm fine with the sound but the voiceover is just unnecessary. Did they not think people would do this in combat?

Yes, you can turn off the specific FA voice over in the audio settings, or be like me and mute the voice entirely. It actually feels way more immersive (more BSG than Star Trek), and the voice is unnecessary after figuring out the game.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Mike the TV posted:

Yes, you can turn off the specific FA voice over in the audio settings, or be like me and mute the voice entirely. It actually feels way more immersive (more BSG than Star Trek), and the voice is unnecessary after figuring out the game.

Rad, thanks. I still need her to scream out SILENT RUNNING when my X55 has a seizure and decides to flip that on because that's oh poo poo boost away time

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Drake_263 posted:

Edit: Thought experiment, a Palwinder build. Exactly how nasty can you make a Sidewinder if we assume you start rom zero and some friendly goon tosses you four tons (a full Sidewinder cargo bay) of palladium?

A pretty okay one, turns out.

Assuming the about average marketprice of 13,5K per ton of palladium, you're left with a budget of 54K for upgrades (not counting the 32K for the base hull). Note that this is basically just a little more than the cost of a stock Eagle plus a third gun for that dorsal mount (47K with a third pulse laser).

This particular design doesn't got for anything fancy or complicated, like power stance dancing or the like (though it does take som power priority management); it's basically a stock Sidewinder simply upgraded in most ways.

Upgrading the vast majority of systems into lightweight, low-cost D-grade equipment keeps the final retrofit costs low while (thoretically) vastly inreasing the basic ship's performance - higher agility, better maneuverability, tougher shields. Most vitally the power distributor has been boosted all the way up to B-grade, making the ship much more forgiving in combat - the stock Sidewinder's power generator is actually pretty okay, the problem is getting it where it needs to go.

A hull reinforcement package, shield cell bank and chaff dispenser further increase your longevity - I chose to emphatize durability, seeing the Sidey's tanky role in CQC. I chose a B-grade shield cenn bank in particular because while it's cheaper than the A-grade, it also carries an extra cell for a total of 3. If you can trigger your cells properly when you hit the thirty or so percent mark on your shields, you can actually absorb more damage than a stock Viper before the bubble finally fails. Finally, a pair of burst lasers are a minor upgrade over the stock pulses - being able to put out damage in faster bursts mean you can deal a fair amount of damage between evasive maneuvers. Beam lasers would be beter, but require several seconds of uninterrupted burn for maximum effectiveness and are much, much more expensive.

Now, I'm not going to say that this is a ship that'll make you invincible - at its heart it's still a Sidewinder, afterall. However, the point is that this thing is cheap, easy to fit, and easy to fly - and, with a few basic skills, can (theoretialy) make for a surprisingly difficult target to actually take out. Shield cell banks and chaff dispensers on an agile hull can be pretty nasty - in my experience many players (partiularly those sticking to a gamepad or mouse&keyboard) rely on gimbaled weapons and being able to gently caress with that is invaluable for adding a couple of seconds of confusion. It's also very cheap and easy to upgrade to something more deadly, either with ship upgrades or simply replaxing it with an Eagle own the line (once you can afford a proper fit). Replacing one laser with a gimbaled multicannon would give you moe punch against armor (at the cost of adding another key bind ot keep a track of) and the hull reinforcement package can be switched out for the original cargo bay, fuel scoop, or an auxiliary fuel tank..

There's also the fact that, well.. it's a Sidewinder. The vast majority of players move up from it to more exciting ships the moment they have the chance to - hell, some of the pople who preordered likely never flew thiers any further than claiming their Freagle on launch. NPC sidewinders are weak and braindead, little more than flying target practice - motpilots are going to either think a Sidewinder plyer is n easy newbie or just plain ignore them. having one turn up that actually puts up a decent fight might ad just enough confusion to help.

Did I say one? I mean eight. Afterall, we're goons. One of these thigns might not be much of a threat, bt a whole wing or even two, acting in concert over voice cooms and hopefully lead by a bigger tougher ship? That'll be pretty drat nasty.

We are Goons. Our freewinders will blot out the sun, and they shall fight in the shade.

Does mass/shielding affect damage given dealt ramming a ship?

Like, could I and a few others destroy a much larger, more expensive ship if we rammed it with sidewinders crammed with shields and hull armor and nothing else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Does mass/shielding affect damage given dealt ramming a ship?

Like, could I and a few others destroy a much larger, more expensive ship if we rammed it with sidewinders crammed with shields and hull armor and nothing else?

The damage inflicted by a collision seems to be calculated fairly realistically based on the mass and relative velocities of the ships involved - so yes, adding armor and reinforced (B-grade) components to your ship would make you a more dangerous rammer/rammee. That said, the calculations seem to heavily (ha!) favor the bigger, fatter ship in the equation - you could probably ram the poo poo out of a Cobra or the like in an uparmored Sidey, but you'd likely just bounce off an Anaconda.

Edit: THere was actually an interesting bug in the early open beta phase, where NPC ships like Federal fighters and the like were treated as having infinite fuel for logistics purposes. HOWEVER, for some reason they were also considered to have infinite fuel.. for their mass purposes. I saw teenytiny federal condors ram the poo poo out of an Anaconda like an enormous guided missile thanks to their obscene mass paired with all the speed and agility of a spider monkey on crack.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 16, 2015

• Locked thread