Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Gonkish posted:

Also holy poo poo some of these unlock requirements for the engineers themselves are dumb. gently caress you, Felicity Farseer. I got your stupid alloys.
After recently unlocking most engineers, Farseer was quite easy compared to others (gently caress you Marco, gently caress you Selene and I will just completely ignore Lori)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Dwesa posted:

After recently unlocking most engineers, Farseer was quite easy compared to others (gently caress you Marco, gently caress you Selene and I will just completely ignore Lori)

the loving tea one.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

SpannerX posted:

the loving tea one.
This one was made all the more enjoyable gameplay for me when the Fujin base went on lockdown when I was trying to shuttle over enough tea to make the engineer happy. Whoever designed these exciting rare commodities unlocks needs a punch in the dick. "Aha! How about to unlock the engineer we have them bring in a rare commodity! People used to love those." Oh that's a good one, add that. "How about I make it so they can't carry them all in one go? Wouldn't that be fun?!" (bron) "WAIT! How about I make it so they have to make a whole bunch of trips, and not an even multiple of the weird unrealistic max amount that can spawn at once so one time they'll have to go back just for a couple tons! Oh people are going to carry me out on their shoulders cheering for this exciting gameplay!"

I like the idea of having engineer unlocks because they sort of force you to try new things, but get hosed whoever set the numbers so high that it turned from "explore new game systems!" to "... and grow to hate them"

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
5 tons, 5 loving tons per trip right now.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

SpannerX posted:

5 tons, 5 loving tons per trip right now.

Enlist help from friendly frogs to load you up.

e: If that One Wierd Trick That Frontier Hates still works that is.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
The other option is to completely ignore it until the system selling the rare good is in boom, because then they'll sell you practically all 50 at once.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
If anybody wants to quickly gain Fed rank, the Ceos-Sothis thing is legit. Went up four ranks in one hour. Got my Sol permit, which is all I really wanted but I may as well keep going.

Just pick the reputation+++ reward every time. Usually get over 100k per mission anyway just because of time bonuses.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/412779-Delivery-missions-reward-double-the-amount-of-military-rank-progression

:discourse:

e: Zero sympathy for someone who thinks going from zero to halfway to a cutter in a "few days" is acceptable. If you think suddenly owning that ship is going to make your time in Elite more fun, you are mistaken. This is the kind of player that won't be here long regardless, so nothing was gained, nothing was lost.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 9, 2018

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i do think the early ship progression should be looked at. right now, my next ship upgrade is like five million credits away, but unless I feel like avoiding my primary interest in the game (shooting spaceships) and playing intergalactic trucker with all the requisite buy-ins that entails, i'm stuck flying text messages between stations or hoping for the one combat mission my space-faringaubaru impreza can actually do. the actual mechanics are very fun but that enjoyment is extremely tempered by the fact i still have literal days of tedium ahead of me.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Why? 5 million credits is less than an hour of shooting spaceships in a high RES

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the last time I sat in a res I made quite literally 11k credits, so I'm open to the idea I did something wrong.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Any high RES I've been in (as recently as last night), the lowliest targets are at least a 10k bounty or so, with larger ships / higher ranked NPCs up to 200+k

That's basically how I went from a sidewinder to a python.

Combat bonds also pay pretty decently.

If you like shooting ships, go shoot ships. Upgrading to another ship doesn't change the fundamentals of the game, so do things you find fun.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the last time I sat in a res I made quite literally 11k credits, so I'm open to the idea I did something wrong.

Follow space cops around and get the last few shots in on big ships, wanted anacondas can net 500k-1m credit bounties. I also seem to get bounties where I did a good amount of damage but didn't actually kill them, although that may be my fighter. Just cruise around a high res zone, haz res zones don't have space cops. I look for firefights off in the distance, but pirates will occasionally just fly up to you and say "HEY I'M A PIRATE SCAN ME" so you don't really even need to look for them. Running a warrant scan before you engage will increase (double?) the bounty as well.

When I'm mining with my anaconda, turning around and blowing away an interloper is a nice break (although it slows down the mining part of mining).

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Okie dokie so I updated ED. I havent played in at least a year I don't think.

Sothis/ceos, what's the skinny on grinding the federation rep there? What's the ideal ship setup for it?

Sothis/ceos used to be long haul trucking of some poo poo for money didn't it? Will I need cargo space?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Inspector Hound posted:

Follow space cops around and get the last few shots in on big ships, wanted anacondas can net 500k-1m credit bounties. I also seem to get bounties where I did a good amount of damage but didn't actually kill them, although that may be my fighter. Just cruise around a high res zone, haz res zones don't have space cops. I look for firefights off in the distance, but pirates will occasionally just fly up to you and say "HEY I'M A PIRATE SCAN ME" so you don't really even need to look for them. Running a warrant scan before you engage will increase (double?) the bounty as well.

When I'm mining with my anaconda, turning around and blowing away an interloper is a nice break (although it slows down the mining part of mining).

the casual "i fly a ship large enough to have its own fighter i don't see why you can't make money in a res zone quickly" notwithstanding, unless they've changed something with the 3.0 i've never seen a bounty higher than ~250k, even on an anaconda. 500k-1m sounds insane.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 9, 2018

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

hakimashou posted:

Sothis/ceos, what's the skinny on grinding the federation rep there? What's the ideal ship setup for it?

Sothis/ceos used to be long haul trucking of some poo poo for money didn't it? Will I need cargo space?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think they are data delivery missions.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

hakimashou posted:

I believe they're talking about Boom Data Delivery missions that go back and forth from sothis to ceos so no back to the bubble flights. No cargo needed.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

This isn’t accusing you specifically milk machine but I think it needs to be said that even if there are semi-effective ways to get money, those aren’t going to be apparent or available to some low level people.

I see a shitload of “well I make 20mil an hour doing this activity” with a huge left out part of that sentence that says, “After I wholly understood every in and out of the mechanic, and I did it in a heavily engineered python.”

I think that there are pretty easy ways to do what you find fun in a wholly unprofitable way and the game is notorious for not giving the detail to change that fact without seeking external tools and advice. Then when said person complains that they can’t progress to the endgame ship they’ve been eyeballing, they get told “you don’t need it anyway” by people with a billion credits.

My vote is to increase scaling across all activities so you can have at least one of the big, expensive ships in like 20-30 hours of play. No, not 20-30 hours of min-maxing one specific mission type in an exploity fashion. Not 20-30 hours of stacked missions in your anaconda that you can fly with your eyes closed. 20-30 hours of “what am I doing how do I dock” and doing what’s fun in space until you’re competent and doing something for both fun and profit.

The people who want to play space sims for 500 hours are always going to do that anyway, don’t balance around that.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I get that, but i just went in a high RES with a sidewinder with some bits and pieces and started shooting people, which was my first week playing the game.

Sometimes you need to forget about the "optimal build" or latest alleged exploit and just do some missions or shoot some things. Focusing on always pumping out credits is detrimental and not at all fun, but it's not hard to earn credits when you need to, even in smaller unengineered ships. The rest of the time, why are you doing something if it's not fun for you?

Yeah, it takes awhile to reach the biggest most expensive ships, but most games make you work to reach the big endgame content.

The game not explaining its mechanics is frustrating, but it's easy to find videos and such explaining things.

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 9, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the milk machine posted:

it's not hard to earn credits when you need to, even in smaller unengineered ships.
yes it is

quote:

Yeah, it takes awhile to reach the biggest most expensive ships, but most games make you work to reach the big endgame content.
no they don't

quote:

The game not explaining its mechanics is frustrating, but it's easy to find videos and such explaining things.
and this is just horrible

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 9, 2018

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Yeah, I remember the hardest part of getting started bounty hunting was figuring out how to find and get in a RES in the first place, and I did start in the base sidewinder with less than 10k credits to my name. Once you're there it's pretty easy to get up to speed and catapult through the small ship progression in just an afternoon or so.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’m saying though that you shouldn’t have to choose between fun or profit. I get maybe this is being disingenuous because I’m speaking about a “potential” game and you’re talking about the current state, but I really dislike the “just have fun and don’t worry about credits!” stance. I’m with it in concept but I’ll give you my anecdote for why it bugs me.

I wanted an AspX and I wanted to get into the black, exploring. I was up into a Type6 and doing trading runs, sometimes hopping over to a cobra to do some combat and things when I got bored.

Everything was painfully slow how I was doing it and the Asp seemed like uncountable hours away. I was having fun and doing what I wanted in those two ships! But I sure wasn’t making money, and I was going to burn the hell out pretty quickly when I realized I was stuck on a treadmill until the next step. Sure, someone could have told me what to do to get a bunch of credits, but that’s not fun! I tried several different roles and things and never found a good way to really build that 10m or so up to the Asp + scanners + scoop. The type-6 was expensive enough.

I quit for a long time until I started reading this thread right around when smuggling from Robigo hit. Robigo was not only like 50x the money but the most drat fun I’d had in Elite, feeling like an actual drat smuggler. Suddenly I couldn’t just afford my Asp, but I had my Clipper, which seemed impossible before, and I could kit it out to explore. That’s when I had *the most fun* at elite and played the majority of my hours. I got to have a ton of fun and I accomplished my goals in a way that respected my time.

It’s absolutely true I didn’t need any of those ships past the cobra to explore and I could have found better ways to progress, but that’s not the point if I’m supposed to be making my own stories and fun.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Just imo I guess, but earning 5m should be relatively quick in a high RES.

The only mmo I've bothered with is WoW back in the day; this game seems much more fun and less grindy to me. I don't see why some "content" (if only ED ships were actually content....) taking weeks or months of play to unlock is unusual, but oh well

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the milk machine posted:

I don't see why some "content" (if only ED ships were actually content....) taking weeks or months of play to unlock is unusual, but oh well

this is an insane statement, to me

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

the casual "i fly a ship large enough to have its own fighter i don't see why you can't make money in a res zone quickly" notwithstanding, unless they've changed something with the 3.0 i've never seen a bounty higher than ~250k, even on an anaconda. 500k-1m sounds insane.

I totally realized how lovely that read on re reading, sorry. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I could have sworn I've knocked down some one million dollar anacondas

The rest of the post I stand by; hi res zones, look for fights already in progress, use a k warrant scanner.

Cowcaster posted:

It should take a minute to get to bigger ships so that you feel like it means something, but I agree in that to get that anaconda I'm so casual about I had to use a bunch of money exploits and it still took forever

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 9, 2018

timn
Mar 16, 2010
If you enjoy combat you honestly could've gotten that 10m in a few hours of RES time, regardless of your ship.

It's not that the problems you're describing in the game don't exist, because they do. It's that they're pretty negligible at the point in the game's progression which is being discussed right now, and it doesn't take a fancy ship or mastery of the game's mechanics to make that true.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Cowcaster posted:

Maybe I don't play many games but many seem to require you to do things in the game to progress? I guess I don't follow how you'd like the game to work; seems reasonable some things would take you more time in-game than others.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

don’t get me wrong i’d love it if all these sentiments of “do what you love and the money will come!” and “doing this non exploit thing will get you 10 million credits in just one hour!” were true but i’ve played a lot of elite dangerous and tried a lot of stuff and in my experience they are absolutely, truly not

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
Honestly, I make money faster and more reliably doing the Road to Riches than bounty hunting in high or haz res zones. And I am super eager to make money fast so I can go and do other neat stuff.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Frontier have openly stated that they make enough from the store these days to make expansions free.

Most of their items rely on players having the ship the item is for. There are also many items for the more expensive ships. Players affording more ships means they might buy more items.

Locking ships behind excessive grind therefore makes sense because..... :confused:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the milk machine posted:

Maybe I don't play many games but many seem to require you to do things in the game to progress? I guess I don't follow how you'd like the game to work; seems reasonable some things would take you more time in-game than others.

yes, if you don’t play many games so elite dangerous is the one and only game or hobby you plan on ever spending time with, stating that it taking literal months of time from the single precious human life you have on earth to unlock some things seems reasonable does make more sense

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

timn posted:

If you enjoy combat you honestly could've gotten that 10m in a few hours of RES time, regardless of your ship.

It's not that the problems you're describing in the game don't exist, because they do. It's that they're pretty negligible at the point in the game's progression which is being discussed right now, and it doesn't take a fancy ship or mastery of the game's mechanics to make that true.

I guess I have two issues, really. That without extensive third party/word of mouth support and help, how to properly fit and fight in a RES is kind of subtle or expensive (at the time) trial and error, and that beyond about AspX level, progression through credits gets totally out of wack.

I think I’m honestly agreeing with you, just saying that at least when I was around that ~2million net worth the “rest” of the game seemed impenetrable no matter how good I got at shooting or trading. I understand that’s not necessarily the objective reality, but I’m a pretty sperglord gamer so if I’m falling into that profit-trap I’m guessing there’s a thousand more casual gamers who’ve had the same experience.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 9, 2018

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Cowcaster posted:

yes, if you don’t play many games so elite dangerous is the one and only game or hobby you plan on ever spending time with, stating that it taking literal months of time from the single precious human life you have on earth to unlock some things does seem like a reasonable expectation

Not in-game months, Beavis

I've been playing elite here and there since January or so, omg literal months of time

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

don’t get me wrong i’d love it if all these sentiments of “do what you love and the money will come!” and “doing this non exploit thing will get you 10 million credits in just one hour!” were true but i’ve played a lot of elite dangerous and tried a lot of stuff and in my experience they are absolutely, truly not

A couple of hours, not one hour. If you purposely misinterpret what people are saying then of course it won't be true.

I got an A-fit vulture (20+ mil) during my very first weekend with the game based almost entirely on bounty hunting in RES. I love the game's combat and the steady progression upgrading from sidewinder -> eagle -> viper -> cobra -> vulture was perfect.

The grind doesn't really set in until you set your sights on a python. If you're struggling before then, there is almost certainly a better way.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES
One more question on guardian weapons before I head out - is the new Ram Tah mission separate to the tech brokers/guardian sites, or is it all one and the same. Ie, you need corrosive cargo capability just to get guardian weapons for some reason?

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

the milk machine posted:

Not in-game months, Beavis

I've been playing elite here and there since January or so, omg literal months of time

Elite is the only game I have ever played where I feel like I'm wasting my life if I am not doing something else simultaneously. I usually listen to Critical Role episodes to feel like I'm doing something at least moderately enriching.

Clearly, if I enjoyed nothing about the game I wouldn't play it. The bits of fun where I get to fly around space with my friends is really the only reason I'm playing it, since there isn't anything else out there that lets me do that. The rest of the game outside of that is honestly really boring, and there are a lot of people who feel like it could be improved.

If there was another game like it this that had been released where the making money part was actually fun I'd abandon Elite in a heartbeat. I figure a good number of folks are in the same boat. So it shouldn't be too surprising that a lot of people are both sticking around and complaining about how the progression in this game is a lot of time for little satisfaction.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Trust me, I'm not saying the grind is good or that it's fun to make credits. To me the smaller ship progression felt pretty good and smooth and fun, and earning since then hasn't been too crazy. The game is fun to chill with for a couple hours here and there.

I guess it doesn't bother me that the bigger ships are harder to reach (still can't afford a vette or clipper). I'd play the hell out of a single player version with console codes though.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

This latest community goal mission hardly seems worth it. There is no large pad at the destination so I can't even deliver goods in my Type-9, and the Tier progression doesn't seem to take that into account.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
How far can a fully laden type 9 jump now? And can a person afford to set one up for ~220mil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Crimson Harvest posted:

How far can a fully laden type 9 jump now? And can a person afford to set one up for ~220mil

My engineered FSD type 9 can go just over 18ly and carry 700 something cargo. And it's not even fully optimized.

220 mil is more than plenty for a fully set up T9 i think.

• Locked thread