Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Best place to find chemical manipulators (for me anyways) was the convoy dispersal USS. I hung around in one for about 20 minutes and got a bunch of manipulators because ships just kept spawning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Tippis posted:

I'm lazy and keeps assigning power to the wrong place in the middle of a fight and just want to leave it at 2/2/2. :D

(It's for a Fer-de-Lance.)

That's... really terrible. One of the cornerstones of "Gittin Gud" is learning how to properly manage our reactor output, putting the power pips where they need to be at just the right moment. About to get rammed? Better put 4 pips to SYS. Fighter trying to run away? Put more pips into ENG. Just brawling it out toe to toe? Split between SYS and WEP. that kind of thing. A Power Distributor mod isn't going to make things that much better if you aren't managing your power systems properly.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Tippis posted:

So… Charge Enhancement?

:sigh: yes. Just go with that.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Blind Rasputin posted:

Man, now that this patch has changed everything I really need to do some engineers. The only one I have open is Todd the blaster guy to get some level two overcharged large machine guns. Are the shield and power distributor engineers pretty easy to get moving on?

The possible grind just locks my mind up and I don't know why.

It's actually not that bad anymore. You get triple the amount of materials from drops, and the tier 1 patterns only take 1 basic material to craft. You can sit there and craft tier 1 patterns until you max out your rank.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

deadly_pudding posted:

Sometimes you don't. Much like any other "go kill somebody" type of mission, sometimes that's a crime in the system you're sent to. Typically "legitimate government" type of contacts will send you after criminal factions, which is safe, but sometimes they send you after rival governments. The mafiosos will send you after whoever pretty indiscriminately.

You have to keep an eye on who runs the system. I'm also pretty sure I've seen it where the planet has a different ruling faction from the rest of the system, so you may only be wanted on the planet surface.

This is correct: If the controlling faction of a planet is not the same as the controlling faction of the system, then you're only "wanted" when you're in that factions jurisdiction. The second you leave the planet, you're no longer "wanted". However, you DO still get a bounty, and it will still spawn bounty hunters to go after you while it's active.

Edit: The funny thing about the bounty hunters is if you're not wanted, and they shoot you, THEY get a bounty and the cops will poo poo all over them while ignoring you. They also have a tendency to kill themselves by trying to attack you near stations, which is just a terrible idea. For them.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

hemophilia posted:

I pretty much gimball laser it. I guess that's probably wrong too? I just spent a whole lot of time learning to maneuver and fly in a way that i can dogfight solo and i really needed weapons i didn't have to count ammo or loving aim with because when you're new in this game you are also the worst player in the game.

but with gimball lasers, if you accidentally shoot literally anything but your target... I just don't know man.

Anyway, i've whored on kills like this at nav beacons and yeah it pays, i'll have to check out the res sights

Don't worry about hitting cop ships toooo much. Just be a little careful. If you see a ship in the way, move out of the way. And most importantly: Do not open fire until you have finished scanning your target and you see the big red WANTED text under their name.

Also Gimballed weapons are perfectly fine. Turrets are fine. Fixed is fine. Everything is fine. As long as you kill your target at the end of the fight, you're fine.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
A properly fit python can do literally everything you need for Engineers, including blowing poo poo up and CZs.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

PoorMoralCompass posted:

Aside from an asp explorer (already got one) , what is the next step for a good exploration ship after the dback? like is there a middle ground, between that and the anaconda?

The AspE is about as good as it gets for exploration.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
Unless you simply don't want to land on planets, I would STRONGLY suggest not going with 5D thrusters on an exploraconda. They can't hold the thing up for poo poo.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Tippis posted:

Go for 5 — getting through both grades 3 and 4 on FSD mods requires fairly simple materials. I'd suggest Faster Boot Sequence to get past grade 3 and FSD range to get through grade 4 — the only rare:ish material you'd need is 3× Selenium, which is easy enough to find.

e: Unless you mean you want to avoid the grind for the grade-5 upgrade itself, in which case… yeah. Those Chemical Manipulators can be annoyingly elusive at times.

Holy poo poo don't listen to this guy!

:siren: :siren: :siren: YOU CAN GET TO MAX RANK BY JUST SPAMMING THE RANK 1 UPGRADES! DON'T BOTHER CRAFTING UPGRADE RANKS 2-4 TO RANK UP! :siren: :siren: :siren:

Edit: The reason for this is that the Rank 1 upgrades all cost 1 of any number of very common, super easy to get materials (Carbon, Iron, Phosphorus, Sulphur). Sure, Going from Rank 4 -> Rank 5 will take something like 100+ crafts and that might seem like a lot, but you get 3x carbon/iron/whatever for each single one you pick up so it's not that bad.

Kurr de la Cruz fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 15, 2016

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
the thing about the commodities is that they are more likely to spawn/be rewarded if you know where to look. Modular Terminals are most commonly found in high tech economy systems undergoing a boom. Pharmaceutical Isolators are found in systems with the Outbreak state, etc etc.

It took me all of 30 minutes to get the 25 terminals I needed, because I knew where to go and what to look for.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Polo-Rican posted:

For mission types that basically require you to find a USS, is there really no way to find out where you're supposed to go besides aimlessly flying around the entire solar system? Can't count the number of missions I've abandoned because the systems are too big and I can't find anything.

Have you tried scanning the nav beacon in the system, or using a discovery scanner? Those usually tell you where you need to go after you use them. At least for the salvage missions.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

timn posted:

Spamming a rank 1 upgrade takes way longer than working up through ranks 2-4. This was true even before the rebalance patch and should be even more true now that the rank 2-5 recipes are so much easier to feed.

They require stuff you can only get from missions. Screw that. I'd rather just mash the space bar for a few minutes, spending 1 very common material per pull and get to max rank that way. You can skip the rolling animations, and if you don't care what it comes out as, you can just spam spam spam it until you run out of materials or hit the cap.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

timn posted:

Some of them yeah, but surprisingly few overall. There's usually an alternative recipe of a given rank whose commodity can be bought.

The main point is it should be much faster and easier to collect very small quantites of a few different regular and uncommon materials than it is to amass literally hundreds of sulphur or whatever. It's also a lot less boring and you have a chance to get some lucky rolls on rank 3-4 recipes that are worth keeping.

Yeah but you're still having to go back and forth, collecting a bunch of extra crap to do maybe a handful of upgrades, and using up cargo space. OR, you can just spam Rank 1s, and if you run out, you can literally get in your ship, fly 100 meters away, land, and get whatever you need to finish spamming Rank 1s without leaving the planet.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Rah! posted:

Aerodynamics, clouds/weather, and pretty colors? And life?

Aerodynamics is the really big one. On barren rocks there's nothing to push against, so you can whip around nice and easy without any regard. If you try to do that in an atmosphere you can rip your craft to pieces, as KSP has taught me. Repeatedly. And without mercy.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
What I'd like to see is some ace combat style corridor missions. That would own so hard.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
gently caress, those new stations look baller as hell. And I like the guidance thingy for fighter jets when they dock. Looks really cool.

Also I think people are missing the point of fighters -- they seem like primarily as a means to let other people join your ship and still have something to do. Otherwise multicrew is going to be really pointless.

2 v 1, even of one of those 2 is a lovely little fighter, actually can turn the tide in a close fight. A small, hard to hit fighter harassing targets can be fun as hell, just ask any of the DF meepers or suicide sled pilots.

Kurr de la Cruz fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 17, 2016

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
Elite's brown sea is fuckin' terrible. It's all forumdads who get pissy when an NPC interdict them, calling it griefing.

I don't really give a poo poo about player agency, all I play elite for is one simple thing: To fly in a space ship and make other space ships go BOOM. And it does that really, really well. Especially with the new engineer stuff, now that it's not a ball crushing grind, you can really do some amazing things to your ships. Which helps me, again, make other ships go BOOM.

I also really like the improved AI, as well. It's actually really satisfying to dunk on an Elite ranked ship, because they fight hard, use their modules, and have upgrades.

Kurr de la Cruz fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 17, 2016

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Yolomon Wayne posted:

What would you recommend upgrading the power distributor towards in a FDL?
Systems because shield tank?
Weapons becuase shields are good enough already?
Engines cause mobility is the key to victory?

Oh, god. Not this again.

Short answer is: It depends on how your ship is fitted.

Sys Cap isn't really needed. focusing on WEP means you won't be able to boost as often. focusing on ENG might leave your weapons starved, depending on pip allocation.

A charge enhanced PD is a good general purpose choice if you aren't sure, it makes all capacitors charge faster, at the cost of the capacity being reduced.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
some of the USSes you come across will be a field of debris, some escape pods, and a rescue ship jumping in to pick them up. It's kinda neat.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
I am hard at work preparing a comprehensive guide for engineers, and it DOES in fact include a section on how to get the elusive Modified Embedded Firmwares. The Tadpoles Uplifting Engineering Primer will be available soon.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
Hey you! Yeah, you! Are you coming back after months of inactivity? Are you a complete newbie? Do you want to learn how to do engineer stuff? Then boy do I have the thing for you! I present "The Tadpole's Uplifting Engineering Primer" -- this will tell you what you need to know, what you need to do, and all that great stuff. Check it out here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14F5pbks7dpEOGaVlhE8b-i2hJg2ufj31wuaMq8Ro-iw/edit?usp=sharing

The guide is written with a clueless idiot in mind. It's based primarily on my own experiences in getting max rank with everyone. It is factually correct as of this time. I am constantly updating it, adding poo poo that I come across that might be useful Give it a read and let me know if it helps.

If someone wants to help me convert it into a forum post I'd be down for that too.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
There will never be player orgs like EvE corps. Period. Elite is a single player game with coop tacked on.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Luccion posted:

I keep seeing advice to use lvl 1 mats to grind up engineers. Does no one think it is quicker to just do 3 of each level? I've found it is far easier to just simply make sure you have the right commodities for tier 1-4 ranks and level them up that way. Very rarely do you NOT have the common materials required for at least one of the mods for each rank.

Ranks 2 and 3 often require poo poo you can't get easily, like mission reward items or the like. It's easier to just spend a dozen or so sulphur or phosphorus that you've no doubt got over 50-100 of (if you've done any surface prospecting) and move on.

Once you get to rank 4 you clear that hump and can use whatever if you want to, but you can also just spam rank 1s with minimal effort.

Like for example, I wanted to upgrade 3 large MCs to Overcharged 5 + Experimental.

I started at rank 1, and used about 150 very common materials I had laying around and that got me up to around rank 4. Then I used 3 of the lightweight mount rank 4 upgrades (a cheap one) to get to 5. I rolled rank 5 upgrades till I was happy with the result, and had him add Incendiary to it. That left me with a great weapon, but now I was back to rank 3. So I just did that again: used tier 1 mods to get to rank 4, then 3 rank 4 mods to get to 5.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

MisterZimbu posted:

I would argue that the fact that the PvP griefer can sit outside the station while the trader sits there completely defenseless then that's a terrible bullshit mechanic.

If the trader flying a refrigerator box manages to make it to the station without getting blowed up, then they've won IMO.

The whole point is moot because any trader with half a brain is going to do it in Solo where they can't be attacked anyway.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Rhubarb94 posted:

If you are upgrading weapons at Tod "the blaster" McQuinns place an easy way to repeatedly get grade 5 (after spending rep on experimental effects) is handing bounty vouchers in at his station.

This is a good point. But he only accepts alliance bounties. :saddowns:

Additionally, you can also rep up by turning in Exploration Data to the following engineers:

Felicity Farseer
Professor Palin
Elvira Martuuk

And for the rest, you can sell commodities at their markets to get rep. Engineer Outposts also buy engineering commodities (Modular Terminals, Exhaust Manifolds, etc) at a very good price so you can sell off your excess ones before leaving.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Trustworthy posted:

For any explorers just getting into Engineers, just remember that you can't reduce your armor's weight below zero, so lightweight modding your default lightweight armor (which might make sense at first glance, if you're eager to boost your jump range) is literally useless. Like the guide says, go for the kickass heavy duty armor mod instead for a durability boost with no real downsides.

edit: obligatory batshit thing about realtime ship transfer

For Lightweight Bulkheads there is literally no mass penalty when applying heavy duty armor mod (adding a percentage of zero to zero equals zero) so go loving hog wild!

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
What was the SRV fuel thing about? Like I know they have fuel, but you're way more likely to run out of hull than you are fuel. Was it different before?

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Luccion posted:

I don't know about you, but through simply playing the game and collecting shite while I'm cruising around doing my thing, I've ended up with a plethora of mats. So much so, that now, because I didn't plan for it, I hate the fact that I expended so many of the low level mats. I hate that because turns out, all of those things are used in synthesis. I don't know, I just feel that simply playing the game and doing missions and poo poo, often times ends up giving you everything you need to visit an engineer for the first time and be able to boost it to lvl5. The ONLY requirement to this method is having a tiny bit of foresight and looking up the commodities that you will need to do 3 of each level mod.

That doesn't address the fact that you need poo poo that takes cargo space, causes pirates to chase you, and only come from missions. Whereas if you're out of sulphur you can go to any planet that has 25% or more sulphur and spend 10 minutes collecting another 100.

In my experience, I always ended up having tons of everything except 1 component to do upgrades. And those components were always things that required rare drops from USSes or Missions. If you have the materials, then by all means use them. But if you don't have them, and just want to get it done ASAP, use the level 1 modification route.

Keep this in mind: Literally every engineer has at least 1 pattern in their repertoire that requires a single unit of one of these: Sulphur, Iron, Carbon, Nickel, or Phosphorus. These are the most common materials in the game and are stupidly easy to collect in massive quantities.

Kurr de la Cruz fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 22, 2016

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Tippis posted:

Have they redesigned the restricted areas of +++ bases, or is that more to do with the security level? The ones I used to frequent back in my base blasting days wouldn't even let you drive within 500m of the building before getting into a restricted area, never mind getting close enough to actually interact with anything in the base.

I'm not sure. All I know is the sites listed in my doc (that I stole from the brown sea but acknowledged and linked!) all follow the same layout and rules. Just like it shows in the terrible videos I recorded.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Yolomon Wayne posted:

You can take your space ships seriously, and you can take them SERIOUSLY.

wiki drama is the saddest drama

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
Quick update on the engineering guide: I added a section on mining because you have to mine 500 tons of garbage to unlock a particular engineer. I'll be adding more stuff as time goes. Here's the link again in case you need it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/14F5pbks7dpEOGaVlhE8b-i2hJg2ufj31wuaMq8Ro-iw/edit?usp=sharing

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

jmcg_omg_kekeke posted:

Got my 1070 so I'm finally able to play this on the rift. Wow, its absolutely insane. A little tough to use the galaxy map though, has anyone else made your joystick be able to go through the map? It seems very difficult to use in VR.

Nope it's awful in VR and your only option is to either use the search box and bookmarks, or turn off VR mode (options -> Graphics -> 3D Mode None) and do what you need to do then switch back. The good news is you can switch between 2D and VR without restarting the game or even reloading.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Main Paineframe posted:

The point of mines against the AI is to destroy your pursuer - they don't slow down or try to dodge at all, they just plow into mine after mine until they're dead. If you don't care about that and just want to mess with their pursuit, use shock mines - or, even better, just don't bother with them at all, since messing about with mines just delays your escape. It's really not worth doing the engineer grind for if you just want to keep NPCs off your butt.

I would add that it IS worth it to add lightweight mount to your mine launchers to shave off weight. And killing mission spawned/cargo spawned NPCs does make them gently caress off for like an hour, so it is worth it to kill them. Also it's never not funny:

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Rectus posted:

It is possible to navigate the galaxy map with the joystick, although it's pretty slow and you need a lot of axes/hats. Using the mouse is completely hosed though.

I could never get it to work right with the joystick, it never wants to select what I want it to, but instead some random star thousands of LY ahead or behind it. So, yeah. Just switch to 2D mode real quick and then do what you need to do then switch back.

Edit:

:siren: ENGINEERING GUIDE UPDATE :siren:

I've added a brief primer on mining because you need to dig spacerocks to unlock an engineer. It's by no means comprehensive but if you follow it you'll get what you need to unlock the armor upgrade Engineer.

I also added a chapter on materials and which ones you should keep no matter what, and which ones you can safely dispose of since there's a bunch that have literally no use whatsoever.

Coming up next is a section outlining what ships share what modules. Like did you know that the Asp Explorer, the Vulture, and the FdL all share the same class thrusters? That means you can swap an upgraded module between them as needed.

Kurr de la Cruz fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 23, 2016

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
My problem is it simply will not lock the reticule onto a star. It's entirely useless in VR.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Insert name here posted:

I'm not asking if it's a good idea or whatever I'm asking because the last time I used missiles they literally did 0 (zero) damage to shields and I want to know if post-buff they're now capable of brute forcing through shields or if I should still take a laser or two with me

Missiles do respectable damage to Shields and they do amazing damage to ships when their shields are down. This is because they destroy any external modules like thrusters or weapons or what have you.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
The real clever thing to do, w/r/t mining is to just bring 1 mining ship, but have 3 of your buddies tag along in combat ships. Go to a HazRES. HazRESes have really good quality rocks to dig, but no cops and tons of pirates. Your buddies deal with the pirates and collect sweet sweet bounties while you dig rocks in peace. Then, when you go unload your rocks at the station, your buddies also get a dividend! It's a win win win.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Main Paineframe posted:

There's some amount of scaling based on ship (spawns got noticeably nastier once I upgraded from Asp to Anaconda), but mostly in terms of what ships you come up against. If you downgrade to an Eagle, you'll probably be coming up against engineer-boosted Eagles and Vipers instead of engineer-boosted Anacondas.

This is correct. in my ASP I would get pulled over by clippers, pythons, Fedships

In my vulture I'm getting pulled over by Vipers, Cobras, etc. No change in rank (dangerous).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

timn posted:

I've been spending a lot of time in the Vulture lately and still getting clippers and FdLs. Are people actually recording data on this or is it all anecdotal?

Purely anecdotal. I'm not really a "numbers" or "math" kind of guy.

• Locked thread