Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

froody guy posted:

I think I've read somewhere that from a certain point onwards Elite won't support Oculus any longer (only Vive)? Were I high or it actually happened?

They didn't keep up with Oculus updates after like 0.5 because they didn't want to have to keep loving with it for new versions, it's all cool now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

This conversation reminds me that we're never going to get the good military asp and it makes me sad because those hardpoints are amazing :(

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

In the lore the Asp Explorer is basically a hosed up poo poo babby variant of a military ship with severely downgraded weapons and engines, since I think the ship looks cool and has great hardpoint locations but isn't very fun to fly I've been hoping that they might make another Asp variant as a Federation rank ship but by this point it's a pretty futile hope.

Section Z posted:

Even if we do, it will probably still have 2 Medium/4 Small hardpoints, much how the Viper MK4 still has 2/2 Medium/Small, unless it cost 30 million stock or something.

gently caress, somebody please give me a lower mid tier priced maneuverable combat ship that's just 4 Medium hardpoints. I want my goddamned Elite X-Wing and I'm needlessly salty about the Viper MKIV getting saddled with bog standard 2/2 because they refuse to give better firepower to anything that costs less than 2 million credits stock. Is 10 million credits for a gimmick fighter so much to ask?

gently caress you Cobra MKIV, you don't count.

:agreed: If they made a ship which was smaller and more agile than the FDL with 4M hardpoints and a class 5 power distributor I'd love it. I don't like how the fighter ships go tiny viper => much larger vulture => proportionately huge FDL / FAS.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

They hosed up hard with the limited amount of granularity on module sizes - going up or down a size class on FSD or power distributor or hardpoints is a huge jump in effectiveness so there just isn't that much 'play' in the system for them to make a variety of effective ships. This is why unladen hull mass is such a clusterfuck stat, because it's the only way that they can make ships have meaningfully different jump ranges (like taking an asp from C5 to C4 FSD makes it go from 30+ LY range to ~14-15LY)

It's extra weird because the system is still jammed full of 'magic numbers' so the fact that 2 ships use the same engines or shields means nothing, they could have scrapped the whole module size system entirely with a minimal amount of game impact and just kept the E => A progression for each slot, though I suppose that fails to give the illusion of depth.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

nopantsjack posted:

hey ultra noob question from a returning player here:

I can't remember out for the life of me how to change tabs to the contact menu on the left UI. Either on joystick (i have a HOTAS thrustmaser and the little analogue selects options in the UI but doesn't change tabs) or mouse, so after a rocky start relearning planetary landings I'm just currently logged out just slowly spinning above the dock because I cant request docking and feeling like a space moron.

Mine is the (rudder) paddle on the back of the throttle but I don't know if that's the default.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I haven't played for months and don't want to read an insanely long list of patch notes; is the new UI also a recent addition, because it's about 50 times better than the lovely old one and seems to actually have lots of useful information.

It seems pretty rediculous to me that they sit on so many QoL changes for 6-8 months at a time and poo poo them all out at once but I assume it's easier for them to not be pushing smaller patches that actually make meaningful changes to the game or UI.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yeah, which can either be solved the Kerbal Space Program way or with a jump drive. Hamilton has a neat little system for this, wherein the ships navicomputer contains the relative speeds of the different jump targets and calculates the jump from star charts - basically a supercomputer with an observatory. The neat part is that the ship has to use its delta-V reserves to "match" the speed or the delta-V profile for its target: If you want to jump to Pluto, Pluto is either going quicker or slower than you (in orbit somewhere else) and you need to "catch up" to it before you jump, or risk a one-way ticket to pancake town/hurtling into space. This limits both your jump range (on average, the further you want to go the bigger your delta-V reserves need to be) and is a cool game mechanic where you put some actual stellar/orbital mechanics into your game.

What I'm saying is, okay, gently caress realism, but is it such a crime to make a hard sci-fi game for actual nerds? Maybe, I don't know, actually require something of the player? Guess I'm just bored with piss-easy superficial games. I also think realistic space combat would be a cool thing, as long as it's nothing like EVE online.

This would be a cool and fine game but I feel like realistic space combat cannot possibly have an involving action / twitch component without losing the 'realistic' part. As a strategy game or similar, sure, go nuts.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I like that they seem to actually be finally addressing some of the horrible balance issues - at least wrt weapons - though there's still ships such as the Asp Scout which are total rear end and probably moreso now that C3 thruster and smaller ships have suddenly got a gigantic speed improvement.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Chrysophylax posted:

Ok so here's the situation going into 2.1.

All of you who were expecting huge guns, now get gimballed Pulse Lasers and maybe huge multicannons. I say maybe because while bursts were unlocked, they don't work (but might be working in time for release), so they're subbing in multicannons.

There's a possibility that the other weapons may be unlockable in the future.

What the fuckkkkkkkkk

Phew, for a moment there I thought something was wrong since the 2.1 beta actually seems to be doing good, useful and sane things, I guess they kept all the insane developers on the live build.

This vaguely reminds me of the vanilla WoW thing where the developers thought it was a good idea to gate an entire new instance behind soul crushingly awful weeks / months of grinding, so it's not like this is a uniquely bad idea. That was actually worse because basically the entire server population had to grind and nobody got anything good out of it except for the single end game guild who built a magic mcguffin out of mashed up insect parts.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I mean, CGs are a cool and good concept but they insist on running tons of lovely ones instead of making them actually interesting, presumably because they don't want to devote resources to thinking up and implementing fun new ideas.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

There was supposed to be an announcement of 'something' to make the engineer upgrades more deterministic and less random on the stream last night, did anyone watch it?

Honestly in spite of some of the recent dumb poo poo and the apparent grindiness of all the new stuff I'll still probably come back to the game for a while just for the novelty of being able to actually put useful weapons on my FDL's huge hardpoint, the outfitting screen not being garbo, and maybe for some buzzing around in a super fast courier or iEagle.

If missions are sufficiently interesting / rewarding now I can see myself sticking around for a while - even if all I'm really doing is different types of grinding, as long as it feels somewhat varied, the awesome flight and combat models will keep things fun. It took me a long rear end time to get bored of just flying to RES and shooting up poo poo.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

El Grillo posted:

This is why I fly in FA-off all the time (because I'm a sperg. Ok and because it's more fun/challenging so keeps me interested)

It's still nothing like "real" spaceflight though. You can't just keep accelerating forever.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I'm willing to wait and see how (probably hosed) the new mission system is before complaining about RES farming nerfs. Just flying around killing infinitely respawning pirates was always kind of dumb, I'd rather be doing interesting poo poo which involves blowing up bad guys as a side perk.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_6HjebZFYs

Some kind of RoF bug + AI having infinite ammo, energy and no heat buildup from shooting = hello plasma accelerator multicannon! This probably explains those "my Python just instantly melted" videos :v:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah from what I've gathered from forum posts and interviews the stupidity is coming from a select number of higher level developers but Braben generally seems pretty cool.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Well good that they're clearing up their mess, I really hope that they give at least some small chance for highly ranked AI pilots in good ships to have engineer mods, with a correspondingly larger bounty. It would be nice to occasionally run into a big, scary enemy which gives a big fat reward.

This probably isn't going to happen because their ability to judge risk / effort vs reward has been totally hosed since day 1 but it's nice to dream.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I need a pgabz button in my life.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

ShadowMoo posted:

How much truth is there to the tons of negative reviews on steam about 2.1?

From what I can tell any game on Steam will have its most recent patch savagely downrated unless it gives every player a free steak and blowjob and makes a popup on the screen every 5 minutes telling them that they're cool.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

TomR posted:

New $129 HOTAS from Thrustmaster based on the T16000m coming.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/%...ed-new-t16000m-

This sounds way more high end than I wanted, they could have literally just jammed the existing T-Flight throttle (maybe with a thumbstick and a couple more buttons) with the 16000M stick at a reasonable price and I would have bought one but this is closer to the X-52 in terms of bells and whistles. The market probably isn't big enough for what I want to be commercially sensible though so I'm happy with a cheaper and probably better alternative to Saitek for a HOTAS that's superior to the T-Flight.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Fishreds99 posted:

Oh, also if anyone has been paying attention the whole API thing..

FD are actually working on this (pretty slowly) but using what they've showcased so far for the new API, we've been able to produce some cool rudimentary kill-mail type stuff, similar to EVE.

Finally us griefers are going to be able to have official records of our ~dank ganks~

I think I would start PvPing if this happened.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

timn posted:

Turning every ship into an illegible mess of anime fins isn't quite my cup of tea, but if it helps Frontier pay the bills then more power to them I guess.

If actual people were flying around these ships you know that they'd be making them look hideously gaudy so I'm cool with it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Morter posted:

Finally, a word that rhymes with orange! :woop:

There's two! (second one is a proper noun though)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

tooterfish posted:

For some reason the Type 9's base hull mass is 2.5 times the Anaconda's, even though it has fewer internal module slots overall and half the base armour.

Someone done hosed it up.

They made the Anaconda weigh like half or less of what it should because of some really bad design decisions WRT exactly how FSDs work, which is why a stripped down Anaconda has such a rediculously high jump range as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I don't think I played this game since shortly before Engineers but I figure I'll jump in and gently caress around for a bit, is there a decent guide somewhere to getting started on the Engineers grind?

I seem to recall I had a nearly fully pimped out FDL before I quit playing but from a few quick glances at the Wiki it looks like I might want to trade it in for a ship with military slots now, is the FAS the best mid weight combat ship now?

• Locked thread