Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Siets posted:

Haven't played E:D since 1.1 or so. Figured I would wait and see if the game introduced better income generation methods over a few patch cycles.

Anybody able to validate the "10 mil / hour" claims in this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytAk5IWR4Yg It seems like every YouTube video detailing a high-income method is promptly followed by the nerf bat treatment from Frontier in order to return player income generation to previous Korean MMO'esque soul-crushing levels of terrible. If this method is real however, I may be looking at getting back into the space saddle. 8 ~ 10 mil/hour for space combat with added risk of player interaction sounds like my cup of tea.

That one is very unlikely to change, he's just saying you can get rank 5 in about 10 hours and maintain it in 5 every week and then he's taking the 50million credit weekly paycheck for rank 5 and dividing by the hours required. Several goons have done that painful grind already, not sure how long it actually took them but at least a few sped it up by doing it in a wing. The biggest thing to keep in mind is:
  • You won't get paid until the end of the second week maintenance.
  • If you fail to get your needed 10k merits at the end of the weekly cycle (sometime on Thursdays) you get the rank 4 payout instead, and it's significantly shittier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
People rip on the dropship so much because in theory it should be a thing you can shoot other ships in. I can see why you might think that too, they show up in combat areas and if you've never been in a Vulture you may not even realize the gigantic and apparently entirely external powerplant on a dropship will explode if someone farts in it's general direction. It feels like you've been lied to and perhaps experience some light facial bruising.

E:D players may be dumb enough to buy a "series of patches" at the full price of the base game, but even they aren't dumb enough to buy the Orca.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

tooterfish posted:

Do you complain on Steam if a game you've had and played for a year drops in price, or a GOTY edition with all the DLC comes out?

It's not like they snuck this poo poo on people a month before Horizons releases, there's been nearly 6 months of forewarning.

Had the pricing been announced that far in advance? I don't recall anything until it showed up in the store with their stellar "limited time loyalty discount" to save tenbux. I'm fine with them selling expansions, but usually those aren't the same price as the base game and when I buy an expansion I know at least an idea of the full content of it and not this "It's a year of updates *wink*" crap.

As someone who is also trying to avoid KS/Early Access stuff the longer you can hold off on buying this game the better. It needed WAY more time to bake when I bought "version 1.0" back in January and should still have an Early Access banner slathered across it's steam page.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Libluini posted:

On the other hand, if you like flying spaceships and aren't really interested in any of that superfluos other crap, preordering the game and every expansion as soon as it is possible isn't a bad decision either.

There are many people who would say preordering everything the moment you can is maybe not a great plan and can encourage shady development practices.

tooterfish posted:

Well sure, that's valid. There's still a lot of stuff the game needs that's not there right now. Although they were pretty clear during the KS that this would be an ongoing project.

Hand wringing about Horizons purchasers being "rewarded" for waiting and getting the base game for free is total bollocks though. The loyalty discount for existing players could be more in my opinion, but giving the base game away with Horizons actually makes sense. It will be a year old by then after all, and it'll encourage new players to come in.

I avoided the KS, like Early Access stuff there are too many games that never seem to get finished or I end up getting my fill of the unfinished version and am done with it by the time it's finally complete. I just saw that it was marketed as a full release and got too excited :(

Anyone who didn't expect the base game to either be bundled in somehow or massively discounted is apparently new to how expansion packs tend to work. However they also tend to cost 1/2 - 2/3 the price of the original game, and that's their retail price rather than some silly "buy it now before we raise the price" move.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Sometimes it just feels like they love tedium.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
I really wish I could run a sweet blue/white coloration, but I just can't get used to how badly they tend to muck with friend and foe colors on the radar. Screw the TR, red should always = dead.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
It's a "season of updates", in that they are counting patches 1.0-1.4 as "Season 1". As far as I know, they have said nothing regarding what you get in this "Season 2: Horizons" aside from the first patch adding lifeless, airless surface landing options and some sort of rover. I guess if you want to get really technical about it, they did not indicate exactly what would be available at the launch of Horizons either. It's entirely possible the rovers don't show up until the second patch, or there are rovers but no surface features on the planets until a later update. I don't recall seeing anything about how many patches would be released or what their content would be, just more of a big picture of what they were doing with Season 2 in general. About the only solid thing is the small 1.5 patch "Ships", which was billed as an update to prepare for Horizons, will be launched at the same time as Horizons itself. You won't need Horizons to get the things added in 1.5, though it was originally supposed to come out a couple weeks before Horizons anyway. Additionally, with Horizons being a series of patches rather than a packaged expansion, they could be using the term launch in a more nebulous way, perhaps just an indication of when people who purchase Horizons would actually be able to log in to E:D. This is my biggest complaint against Frontier, everything they do has this awful "black box" feel to it as it's either unexplained or explained in such a poor way that nobody can be quite sure what they're being told.

It sounded like their goal was to get you to buy a new "season" every year for $60 unless you call in the next ten minutes!! You could save ten whole bucks on our mystery box!!!

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
I think you're absolutely right, I just wish they were more upfront about it. I'd love a rough roadmap like "Here is Season 2 - Horizons: 1.5 - Ships, 1.6 - xxxxxxxx, 1.7 -xxxxxxxx, etc." and a very brief outline of whatever the key focus of each will be. I thoroughly expect these to come out annually and be around 3-4 patches each.

The "loyalty discount" just sounds skeezy.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I've cashed in over 100 million in bounty vouchers in empire space, I'm considered an "ally" by empire systems, and yet no rank, no missions to even start on the path. poo poo seems broke.

Well it IS :frontear: we're talking about, it's entirely possible this changed several patches ago and they neglected to notice it. It's also probably broken, maybe you've turned in a lot of bounties to broken factions but since everything is obfuscated you have no way of knowing you're not really getting Empire credit. The general advice I saw before was that if the faction didn't seem to be offering you any ascension missions after a while to pick a new system and poke at that one. Also I was advised to move to a new system as soon as you got your rank, partially on the speculation that advancing a minor faction from neutral to friendly or whatever was worth more points toward ascension missions than just grinding the same amount of missions with a faction that already liked you. Doing that crap got me into a Clipper in a weekend or so, but that was before 1.3.

But you see by not giving you any information about their actually quite simple game it feels way deeper and more immersive! :pseudo:

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Stuff looks cool but please keep in mind this is (finally) the list of Things We Are Doing In Horizons (Season 2). Some of this likely going to be Holiday 2016 and some may slip entirely into Season 3 if they can't get it working.

I'm not expecting much besides airless rocks in 1.6 or 2.0, whatever they call the initial Horizons patch.

Typical Pubbie posted:

This game has the weirdest premium pricing model I've come across. And by weird, I mean they're charging us for horse armor but no one really seems angry about it.

It's a cash shop full of cosmetic crap, this is what I expect to go in them lest one wants their game called pay to win. Some amount of basic paint jobs should really be included for free, though.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
I am glad we're finally getting faces, can't wait to buy a monocle for it.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
HTC and Valve are tight because Valve is paying them to make the Vive. I'm pretty sure FDev is just mentioning the Vive specifically because it's supposed to be launching this year/at least sometime before Occulus next year. I'm very sure they will support both formats, please don't buy VR hardware until you have read consumer unit reviews.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
I would bet when VR headsets are launched and the software side is more complete if you can get your game to work with one it isn't that difficult to make it work with the other. It greatly behooves VR manufacturers to make their hardware easy to work with.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Can confirm the X-52 PRO is rad, I've heard the X-55 has the same build quality issues the non-Pro X-52 does.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Beams are about as good as it gets for dropping shields, unless you're running out of power too often. If you don't have the power for it and you're able to keep yourself pointed at your target pretty constantly, consider switching to pulses. Bursts are theoretically between the two for DPS/power consumption, but if you can keep yourself aimed at the enemy nothing tops the raw, boring efficiency of pulse lasers.

Cannons definitely own.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
The older non-madcatz X52s or X52 PRO sticks seem fine, it's just the newer stuff that seems to be cheap.

Moved all my ships to Mother Goat last night, really hoping we don't need to do another one of those moves anytime soon.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Moving my Python out to Mother Goat last night the best I was able to get on it was mid-20s, though admittedly I didn't spend a ton of time, just sorted by lowest mass and fit the lowest thing possible for every non-FSD slot.

If you really love the Python look you could probably make it happen, hell at least one crazy person did it in a Sidewinder, but for the price of a Python you could do better.

e: beaten like a Hudson supporter :smith:

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

LCL-Dead posted:

I love the look of the Python but am a space poor.

I had thought about rectifying this by doing a huge jaunt out into the dark for a 9 figure payout but don't have the patience or time for that either.

Someday.

Exploration is actually a pretty slow way to make money, you just get it all in one big chunk.

Also I wouldn't worry overly much about it, once you do get to a Python you're likely to stay in it for a very long time.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
You kid, but I'm still unsure the Anaconda is actually an upgrade. Sure you get more guns, but it's so incredibly slow and you're stuck with large pads only. At least the powerplant changes should make it slightly less vulnerable to a single Vulture/FDL.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Who is Emperor's Dawn? :confused:

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
They might have just made it scale range with class and difficulty with grade. I had a 4C on my python last night and noted it to be significantly harder even though I still never lost, but it was mindlessly simple before anyway.

It also looks like they fixed the submission giving you a short fsd cooldown bug. Thanks for interdicting me for a "no problems here" scan, Imperial Navy. I'm only an Imperial Baron, I probably wanted to sit here for 30 seconds anyway.

GaylordButts fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 7, 2015

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

Whats the best way to get a pretty green prismatic shield with a minimum of pain

Sign up for the anime princess faction and ignore it for a couple weeks. Then, go farm up 750 merits; this is easiest done with the largest and highest grade FSD you can afford and just interdict enemy powerplay faction ships for 30 merits each. Turn in your merits once you're over 750 and buy your shields next week. Then go back to ignoring powerplay.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
People do the same sort of poo poo over SC, and almost every other game ever. Just wish people would chill the gently caress out until a product is released, THEN bitch about how crappy it is.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter handled it fine :colbert:

It's not like the ships are balanced all that well anyway, giving the ships or even just manufacturers their own UI designs would be pretty cool and do a lot for *~my immersion~*

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
If you want to make real money you need to be able to afford an Asp Explorer or something similar. You may need to refresh quite a few times if you want to cherry pick the better missions, I probably reset 30-50 times to make my $80 million run in my Python, though I was only a Merchant when I started.

I found that when the board seemed to quit refreshing, shutting down the game and relaunching seemed to fix it. The endless hyperspace bug is pretty painful.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Sometimes I wonder how many of the people who defend moneymaking nerfs are just people who became Space Romney's back in the Capital AFK or Seeking Luxuries days who really mean "gently caress you, got mine"...

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Pretty sure you just get the discount for a single rebuy, then it goes back up to the normal cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Not very surprising, the exploration hop-n-honk is unfathomably boring.

• Locked thread