Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

AndroidHub posted:

Exploration is gonna get a hell of a lot more interesting/forgiving in horizons as well, with being able to fabricate more repair juice as well as them planning to allow repair units to fix canopies.

I hadn't heard about this, thats cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Something I'm sure that has been mentioned but I missed and just thought about...

How are the rover buggies stored? Are they their own ship modules? Are they stored as cargo?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

froody guy posted:

WTB EVE Apocrypha expansion for Elite Dangerous :shepspends:

Spoken like someone who's burning slowboating home and still has about 170 jumps to go :negative:

It'd be cool if they brought back the old one-shot wirmhole super-hyperdrives used to jump between different "Galaxies"* in the original Elite as a way to cross thousands of Lightyears in one go (but single use, of course).

* I believe this was retconed to being other parts of the milky way and when [ PLOT ] prevented those wormhole drives from working anymore the other "Galaxies" died out due to being isolated/Thargoids.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You'll find them flying around in supercruise for a bit when they say that, but they'll quickly drop out of supercruise and leave a wake, which you're supposed to follow and meet them in real space.

However, most of the time they're just offering you a crappy variation of your current mission. Instead of killing X spacepirates for Y spacebux, its Kill Z spacecops and frequently for less or roughly equal pay, hardly enough to make it worth the extra effort.

The only time they're kind of useful is assassination missions, where they'll sometimes tell you where your target can be found.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The news about the Cobra MK IV is very disappointing. :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Literally Kermit posted:

Yeah 8 internal slots is a huge disappointment

It s my official new ship forever

Wait, what? Did I miss something? People were saying it had the same as the Cobra III.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Having seen screenshots of the Cobra IV's setup, its not a bad ship I guess. But I can't get excited over it. Its just too slow compared to the original (200/300 speed/boost vs the Mk3's 280/400). I'd have gladly traded one of those extra class 4s and maybe one of the class 3s to retain the Mk 3 Cobra's speed. I could live with the lesser maneuverability, but I gotta go fast.

Guess I always saw the Cobra as a space hot-rod.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You're taking a Viper to Sag A*?

You truly are Space Mad.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Python or FDL I guess.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Whats a good weapon set for a Python and can I fit out a decent multi-role one for about 130-140million?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Space Skeleton posted:

If you don't have anything locked as your target you should be able to do that.

Nah, you'll still slow down as you pass the "halfway" point to the other star because gravity governs supercruise speed/efficiency.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So I know that the Sirius Corp dudes offer a 15% off deal on Outfitting prices in their space, and the Python's price tag feels like that might finally be worth bothering with. Is there a well known system in Li Yong-Rui's space that has most stuff available?

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The problem is that travel is by it's very nature- dull. There is nothing interesting to do while doing it but alt tabbing and shitposting on SA. In doing so that helps break the immersion.

But they have Space Internet. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

How to pass the time while making a Robigo run:

Draw your favorite ship
pre:
          Cobra Mk III

-----------     
          /\ []___[] /\     
         /  \ /___\ /  \     
        /    \     /    \    
       /    _ \ _ / _    \  
      /    //  | |  \\    \ 
     | \   U   | |   U   / |
     |---------------------|
          \--/     \--/ 

Faulcon DeLacy
Funny, that looked a lot better proportioned in the preview.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 5, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, that is pretty dumb. I wonder what the justification is? That being in a ship would make them too easy to farm (like you'd want to)/identify/escape from?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 6, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Boost away?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

A system 300-ish LY from The Bubble (inhabited space) where you can go to grab "normal" courier or smuggling missions that pay out in the high hundreds of thousands or low single-digit millions because of how far the "nearby" planets are.

There are a few systems like this scattered around. Its a boring, if effective way to grind up credits.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I suddenly, oddly regret not getting the Braben bobblehead. :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I managed to rank up to Prince in the Empire twice due to some :frontear: bug that completely reset my empire rank and I never felt like I was grinding. But I guess its because I did it over time and didn't just try to rush to it ASAP.

Then again, I've only recently obtained a python despite owning the game since launch, so obviously I'm not the average or something. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Naturally Selected posted:

So decided to do the robigo run. Got 30M-ish worth of missions, got to the first station, got in front of the mailslot, set to autodock aaaaand it boosts me into a wall killing me instantly. gently caress this game

I've been doing nothing but autodock (except when smuggling) for some time and never had trouble with it in my Asp, iCourier, Vulture, or Python. Sucks that you got unlucky.

Did you trigger it literally a few hundred meters from the slot? I usually just activate it right after requesting docking permission ~7km out and it does a fine job boosting in from any facing.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Maybe don't break your SRV? They don't seem that fragile unless you're barreling into a combat area unprepared like an idiot.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

That is only like, 4.43 Lightdays. Not nearly as bad as Hutton Orbital/Proxima Centauri's 0.22 LY. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I don't think we need in-system autopilot. What I'd want instead is making it easier to not overshoot your destination because the throttle blue-zone usually starts breaking down as you get close/fast.

Loosen up the distance/speed requirement for dropping in.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Is that as viable now that power cores don't pop as easily?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Bigger ships have bigger scanners. :shrug:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Horizons has been out for only a few hours.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I grabbed a steam key off my Frontier store page, plugged it into steam, steam downloaded Horizons and I was good to go. :shrug:

I like the new menu background:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Didn't there used to be a screen down between our legs?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I know, but there used to be a physical LCD panel there, not a holowindow. :v:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You'd have to anyways. I guess there's a way to redeem a steam key but I'm not sure how it works.

You just log into https://www.frontierstore.net then find this and click it and you should be able to get a steam key from there.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So my custom keybinds were transferred to Horizons, problem is this apparently means that the new SRV controls are relatively unbound.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Did you beta? Mine transferred over just fine :iiam:

No beta, but I am using the steam version.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Hey guys, don't try off-roading through craggy Europan canyons, I just spent over an hour trying to navigate extremely unfriendly terrain trying to get to my ship (and constantly dismiss/recalling it to try to find more favorable landing zones).

Got to it with less than 30% hull left on my SRV. Apparently Pythons have trouble finding landing zones in rough terrain. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

What are you having the most fun doing so far? Trade? Fight? Explore? Smuggle?

Aim to do that better.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ciaphas posted:

Never tried smuggling, what does that involve mechanically?

A fast ship, avoiding interdictions (or submitting to and outrunning), and learning to fling your ship into a station mailslot as hard and fast as possible in order to avoid police scans.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ciaphas posted:

Well this looks amusing as hell. Is smuggling a set of missions or do you (somehow) buy illegal goods to trade (or otherwise 'acquire' them :ese: [is that racist?])?

There are smuggling missions now (that get failed when/if you get scanned) that you can do. Otherwise smuggling is trading in illegal goods (often slaves) or looted cargo from pirating/unidentified signal sources.

quote:

As for money making via combat, any suggestions on how I can fit my lovely little Eagle for combat? I'm on a 360 controller so precise aim is a bit out of the question.

Can't go wrong with a couple gimballed pulse lasers and either a third gimballed pulse or something heavier hitting to give you punch. I used to use two pulses and a rocket launcher, but this was way back in gamma/fresh release where you only got credit for a kill if you scored the kill blow (thus the rockets were reserved for taking out the last 10-15% of hull).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I found a crashed navigation beacon?

Too bad I can't seem to get the datalink reader to work.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Are you still using the Elite Dangerous client? By putting the key into Steam you should now have an Elite Dangerous Horizons 64-bit client.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Shine posted:

Here you both go:
These explain basically everything about planetary landing, SRV operation, and the datalink scanner.

Was doing that actually, but apparently because I have my set hardpoints to NOT deploy when I pull the trigger, the datalink scanner wasn't deploying, and there isn't a button to deploy it without that setting being on.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

DAYS SINCE LAST LOWTAX IN GAME MENTION: 0

:v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

A Tartan Tory posted:

Someone tell me about the jump boosting thing, all the details you can, so I can plan to break records again. TIA.
Basically using the SRV you can mine materials for one of three different one-use jump range boosters, +25%, +50%, and +100% range. The materials seem rather rare. I've done two nights of light moon rovering and here is my collection so far. I've got decent amounts of some other materials but barely any of this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So the entirety of Star Citizen has more to do in it than a single day worth of Elite 2.0? I can't help but think he should've worded that differently. (Or maybe this head cold has compromised my reading comprehension)

• Locked thread