Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Katsuma posted:

I just want to say, whoever told us about the Parutis-Medb Passenger Gold Rush Bonanza is a top notch gentleman. I've gone from 130 million in the bank to over a billion in the past week, usually only doing one or two runs a day at over a hundo mil a pop.

Now I just need three more levels of Fed Rank for that Vette. :shepicide:

So I decided to jump in over from the frontier to actually make some cash and after selling a bunch of data to them to get allied the first mission that popped up was 16 passengers for 20m. poo poo is crazy.

E: Type-7 cabin'd out is great with 148 passengers.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Does dumping a poo poo-ton of exploration data at a superpower station count towards ranking?

Nope. Only towards superpower relations and the primary holder of the station's minor faction.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I've been doing the Parutis-Medb run taking 148 passengers per time in a Type-7 to the tune of ~100m. Just replace everything with Economy cabins and one size 3 cargo rack and an A ranked FSD. Total cost ~20m if you're worried about money to set up and ~45minutes of board flipping to fill. So conservative round trip time of 1,5hours which isn't too bad.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 31, 2017

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Can also just use an undersized A-rated power plant unless you're doing combat for extra jump range. Few things need that much power.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
G5 Dirty Drives on the Conda turns it into a hilariously agile fucker for its size.

If you liked the python's feel then it's well worth grinding up the upgrade.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

I decided to do a little exploration, and have been working the Road to Riches. Is there a way to ballpark how much the exploration data is worth? I've worked through 40 systems on the list, and curious how much that might be worth.

An amazing sheet explaining the values of every stellar body you can find. Also good for general referencing when looking at the system map.

This one even handily has all of the scoopable stars all on the same line if you forget the dumb mnemonic.

And another for finding those juicy terraformables.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 4, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Being able to change the HUD is really a godsend that should be added as a fully supported feature instead of the file fuckery it is now.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
For extra fighter fun you can have both an AI piloting a fighter while another player flies a second one. Can be really devastating.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Truth Quark posted:

I already did the grind (its super easy at Sothis/Ceos), but I re-rolled mission boards for a few hours and didn't get any modular terminals. EIC sounds like a super easy way to do it though!

Modular Terminals are really easy to get if you go out to the damaged stations to cattle cart passengers. There are no VIPs and they are all going to the same rescue ship.

Just make sure to bring a heat sink launcher.

As a bonus it's also a great source of some of the rarer mission materials

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
People going crazy over combat snobbery when all you need is a decently fit python to do just about any pve you want. Same with every other mission and thing in the game really unless you want full specialization.

Also n'thing that the vulture is crazy fun for shenanigans.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

the milk machine posted:

as someone who is just getting to the 15m credit mark and who needs to clean the house, how can I do this?

Grind up to ~25million doing whatever then go grab: This Ship You can drop the shield for another economy cabin if you're confident in your flying.

And run either Parutis -> MedB OR Upsilon Aquarri -> LTT 9360 bulk economy passengers. Payout scales based on distance from star which is why those pay ~1m credits per head.
iirc Parutis was in lockdown last I checked and the UA -> LTT one pays slightly more.

For both Parutis and UA you want to try and get all of the minor factions reputations up as fast as possible. So after your first run start using that money to do as many donation missions for them in between board flipping for filling up your hold of passengers. Higher reputation gives more and higher paying missions/passengers which quickly makes up for all the money spent bribing them.

With money rolling in you can swap to an Anaconda for maximum sardine passengers and then use the funds from that to fund whatever your heart desires. I'd personally suggest a Python for general running about.

E: You'll want to have a cargo rack tucked away at the other side where you turn in passengers for the dumb missions that give you extra useless rewards. Or just drop a small cabin for a rack if you don't want to fiddle with outfitting.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 13, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
A decently fit FGS should be more than enough if you have some other people to fly with.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

limaCAT posted:

On the other hand get a cheap ship and try quick cargo grabbing from goids for the current rescue cg, bonus points if you steal escape pods from under their noses and live (next time I will try with an eagle).

Imperial Courier outfit for MAXSPEED could be hilariously fun thinking about it. Gonna try that now and see if it could be bullethelled.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Orv posted:

Speaking of, is there a consolidated Engineers guide? I understand it's going to be undergoing at least some changes with Beyond Ch 1 but might as well get started if I'm actually finally playing this game five years late.

https://inara.cz/galaxy-engineers/

Has all the engineers, breakdowns of what they offer, all of the materials for each, and where to farm them. Pair it with https://eddb.io/body to find material concentrations on known planets and https://scotty.newlevels.org/materials/ for a comprehensive list of every material.

E: If you're looking to power through all the engineers as fast as possible you'll want to do a trip out 5,000LY from your starting system and just honk every system on the way. The journey is required to unlock one of the engineers and the data can be used to get relations with the different ones that require invites to meet the engineer. For ranking up the engineer itself you'll want to do 3 modifications of your current highest level to unlock the next and so on.

Highly suggest doing the Professor Palin line first because it has both G5 FSD and G5 Thrusters in it which are both amazing qol upgrades.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 15, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Not even close!

For reals though if you want it ruined about what happens when you hit another ship in supercruise: You can't. It does nothing

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Vulture/FAS make all of the other ships feel awkward for dedicated combat. ImpCourier racing at 800m/s is hilarious fun though.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
People may give you poo poo for running turrets but never let that stop you from having a cup of tea while laser boat kills things for you.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
I wish I had been quick enough to snap a screenshot of getting "Reckless Flying" with the police ship having its nose pointed straight into the 'Conda's topside. And yet :frontear: still can't 'prove' something is hosed.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Running passengers from the burning stations can get you more modular terminals than you could ever need. As well as a bunch of other rare materials. It's to the point of just jettisoning the drat things at the rescue ship.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
You can also tell which systems are based on observed stars by their names; stars with a catalog prefix are all based on known positions. Though it's worth pointing out that many of the orbiting bodies inside of those systems are derived from the engine based on some fun maths and not actual observed data.

The engine they used for generating the galaxy is probably the best part of the game in the end.

^ :argh:

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jan 22, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Palin is definitely the most annoying engineer to unlock. But DD 5 is so worth it

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The amount of known exoplanets is in the thousands against the tens of millions of cataloged stars.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
If you're just starting to get into combat the Vulture is by far the best one to learn in. Give its power plant a small overcharge and some dirty drives and it becomes massively fun.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
If you're going for low effort npc killing then a simple Conda turret boat will do wonders. Vulture is basically the babby version of the FDL and both require at least a bit more concentration to effectively fly.

Suggesting vulture just because it's small, incredibly agile and very hard hitting. Can learn everything you need about using fixed weapons in it and the fun of flying without flight assist.

E: Weapons are whatever you fancy. I'm a stickler for matching weapons personally but mixing and matching is perfectly fine. Your biggest worry with the vulture will always be its small power plant though. Is why the suggestion to stick a G1-3 overcharge on.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The bigger ships will easily set you back double to triple their hull cost when fully rigged out for anything more than trading or data running.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
For pure combat? A good vulture will crush the larger ships if they don't know what they're doing.

Python really doesn't fit in here as it's a general purpose boat. It's good for running missions and is perfectly fine with some gimballed weapons but isn't built for pure combattery.

E: Here you go, give this simple fit a try: Here
You'll just need to go collect enough common sulfur to reroll G1 overcharge until you hit a 12%.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 22, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Materials wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to pick and choose what to pick up because some dumb arbitrary limit. Will be nice once it's changed, though also still a bit worried they're going to end up making engineers somehow more grindy by their vague descriptions.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
You can have as many ships as you want and they can be shuttled around for a small fee to whatever station you're sitting at.

For combat the tried and true beginner ship is always the Vulture.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Straight from the beta FAQ

quote:

9) Do I have to start from the beginning of the game during the beta?No. Your main game saves will have been duplicated within the last few weeks and applied to the beta server. This means you'll be able to play through the beta with most of your current game progress intact.

10) Does my progress during the beta carry over to the main game?
No. Everything you do in the beta will be wiped when the update goes live for the main game, and no progress will be carried across.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
No you see only the finest hand-picked materials are good enough to go into the artisanal masterpieces known as engineering.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

boar guy posted:

is there a current Best Way to grind Imp rank? everything i can find googling is a few months out of date

Mainani <-> Ngalinn

Nothing but courier missions and donations on each end. Rarely have to board flip. No large pad.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Engineering is just a time sink for people who want to push their ships further. https://inara.cz/galaxy-engineers/ is a good list of what each has for offer. Really the only one that you should always try to have is Increased FSD Range.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The best engineer is even locked behind the worst grind. Dirty Drive 5s really are worth it though.

In other news: I ran into a player flying an Asp Scout. I don't think I've ever seen someone actually using it before.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Modular Terminals are easy to get right now with the stations that get attacked. Run passengers from the burning ones as they have no VIPs and tons of missions to flip through for whatever rare materials you need.

The problem is soon we'll run out of stations for the Thargoids to attack and they'll all be stuck in repair state so better to abuse it now while they're still available.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Do yourself a favour and switch to an AspX unless you're really dead set on a python for exploring. With that said, G1 OC PP can have a secondary effect of increased efficiency which is a godsend for lazy scooping and only costs a single sulphur per roll. Lightweight on everything you can get your hands on, increased range on your DSS. Enhanced Lower Power Shields if you plan on landing, undersized power distros. Should about cover everything?

E: An over-engineered AspX can just squeak in 50LY range with all the toys you need - AFMUs, Vehicle, Shields, ADS, DSS, Scoop.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 7, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Those Material storage caps and FSD recipe changes are excellent

100 +100% jumps able to be stockpiled with Polonium being the only t5.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 7, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
That would work fine, though you could make some quick improvements - get a 4A scoop if you can afford it, dump the cargo rack and replace it with an AFMU, undersize your PD and d-rate
your thrusters, dump the weapons and utilities, 2G the vehicle bay, 3D the shield and finally replace the PP with 3A until it rolls a secondary efficiency modifier so scooping is easier. Your current roll on the PP has just made it harder on yourself.

With those changes you'd be up to 37LY jump range. If money is an issue then the AFMU can be dumped. The fuel scoop is really a priority 1 purchase if you at all can because it drastically lowers the downtime.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 8, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The new CG is making me sad again that they've completely blown off ever adding new/better SRVs for different tasks. Need a hauler for all the artifacts.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
I just noticed this Galnet Article from today.

:getin:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
No, and yeah it's a pain of a CG with the limited SRV space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
There were supposed to be different types of SRVs 'coming soon'. They never came and it's probably abandoned.

• Locked thread