Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timn
Mar 16, 2010
It's like the first Freespace, I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Calling bullshit on the bounty vouchers. I turned in tens of millions of credits worth in bounty vouchers and never saw a single rank ascension mission until I tried my hand at grinding charity missions.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Running dual cannons on the eagle in CQC is some silly fun, but I don't know how well it will work against anyone who knows what they're doing.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Mining is cool, the imperial eagle is cool, CQC is cool, this update is cool.

Has anyone played around much with the new federal ships? They look sweet but on paper I don't really see the niche they're supposed to fill. The assault ship looks a bit worse than the imperial clipper at about the same price, and the gunship seems significantly worse than the python at only a marginally lower price. Is there something else to them in actual use?

timn
Mar 16, 2010
7x railguns. :colbert:

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I'd not done much interdiction since the update, but it doth appear to be hosed now. On both sides of the equation playing the game almost perfectly against NPCs does nothing but keep me at parity with the largest A-rated FSD I can fit in my Python. It's a game of seeing how long I can hold out before slowly and inevitably losing.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Fortunately powerplay targets have some kind of deathwish and are easily lured into initiating, so I can just submit to them and get down to business. :heysexy:

timn
Mar 16, 2010
The Vulture will treat you extremely well and can be completely A-fitted for ~20 mil including the base ship IIRC. If you want to branch into higher volume mining/trading on the side, you can keep saving and rank grinding to trade in for an imperial clipper, and after that eventually a Python when you are space-rich. Once you have a Python you no longer give a gently caress because it's unfairly good at everything.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Vulture's greatest crimes are its best weapons loadout is boring, poor jump range, and it looks :krad:.

Otherwise it is a kickass ship.

ftfy

timn
Mar 16, 2010

deadlyrhetoric posted:

I am stuck in witchspace?

Thargoids :tinfoil:

Has anyone noticed that NPCs sometimes stop and roll in place lazily for a few seconds in combat? I was thinking it might be a temporary module malfunction, but I think I've seen this happen before even breaking through their shields.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Just got my X52 pro and :iia: Feels like rediscovering the game all over again.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I've found that sometimes after a few mode swaps the missions stop regenerating reliably until I actually restart the game completely. No idea how or why, though.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
This Sothis thing kind of sucks when every other jump takes literal minutes to load.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Spent the last hour trying out various weapons. Lasers are okay. Why cant I find a larger multicannon than a class 2? Cannons are great but goddamn the limited ammo. Likewise with the plasma accelerator. Even worse is the railgun. 30 shots then you've got to head home and reload. Did they intend for any of the weapons to be usable?

Several weapons including the multicannon don't come in class 3 size. You could try a regular cannon which is sort of like a kinetic plasma accelerator. They have the same ammo, negligible energy usage, and lovely shield damage. They also have a gimbal version which the plasma accelerator does not.

Ammo limits and this ill-conceived idea of ships which are armor tanks seem to be balanced around the idea of short, small-scale combat encounters between station visits. This might make sense for PVP but is pretty useless in most PVE activities where you want to have the endurance to cruise around the same RES or CZ mulching NPCs for an hour or three. For either to be very viable there needs to be a way to repair and rearm in the field during downtime. On my Python I have something like 6 shield banks with 3-5 charges each, so I can go hours grinding bounties without even waiting for my shields to recharge between fights. Ammo weapons and ships loaded up on hull reinforcement can't really do that, at least not nearly as safely.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Dabir posted:

Counterpoint: Flying around in a vulture for hours blowing up ships in a war that will never end no matter how many you kill is both fun and profitable.

Grinding rank 5 in powerplay from a CZ was the dumbest most poop socky thing I've ever done in a game, but it was only possible because I have an infinite appetite for this game's combat, maybe any space flight game's combat.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Those win 10 beta drivers are also good for win 7. I absolutely could not get the mouse nub on my X52 pro to register anywhere except the control panel with the normal drivers on the Saitek website.

Those win 10 drivers work perfectly and you dont have to install the SST software, meaning less fuckery to undo any profile config that might conflict with Elite.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Ah, the lovely lazy nerf. I'll take it as a sign that I should uninstall this game.

This was pretty clearly an unintended edge case. Less nerf and more bug fix. For new players I cant imagine that instantly blowing past the entire progression curve that does exist in the game is very fun. It was certainly a breath of fresh air for those who already hit the wall past vulture/clipper, though.

timn fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 19, 2015

timn
Mar 16, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

The reason that people want to be able to blow through content is that their lack of balance passing has made the game extremely stagnant, they haven't even touched modules or weapons or ship stats (other than a few heavy nerfs relatively shortly after release) even though there's obvious room for improvement. They have added new stuff and espcially the 1.4 additions are very welcome but they seem weirdly dedicated to never changing anything except to nerf it into the ground.

And blowing past what content that exists to get to a non-existent end game helps because...?

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I hope the cutter ends up different than that concept art. Right now every flyable imperial ship follows the same general shape and design. Give us something crazy looking like the majestic class interdictor, except new and different.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Hamburger Test posted:

So since I could skip the reputation I went and grabbed an Imp Courier. Can it sustain Beams? I have 7M left, if anyone feels like suggesting a PvE build.

Im playing around in one with three fixed pulses for practice and with the best distributor and 4 pips it still drains down after a moderate amount of sustained fire. Beams are probably a no go unless you're firing like just one by itself.

Edit: to clarify for a PVE build where you're permanently affixed to your targets that's where it breaks down and doesnt make sense to have a weapon scheme you have to stop and recharge constantly. Maybe PVP could be a different story.

timn fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 22, 2015

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Even without powerplay bonuses you can still have vulture money in just a couple hours of bounty hunting, a full day or two if you count starting in a sidewinder and getting acclimated to the game. With powerplay bonuses a clipper or python arent very far out of reach either.

The progression curve is flawed for sure, but not being able to grind out a Python in a single weekend or make great money doing combat in exactly the form you prefer isn't the greatest criticism of it either.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I'd guess it's because you have to be tailing your target to interdict. Ships turning hard at low speed can be really loving hard to get into position to interdict.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Libluini posted:

so Frontier does a thing and people aggressively misunderstand them? Is that it?

Yes, usually climaxing with :frontear:, followed by a short refractory period before beginning the cycle anew.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Docking literally has 3 simple steps:

1. Fly inside station
2. ???
3. Laser disco party

What exactly is so hard to grasp?

timn
Mar 16, 2010
My personal impression about the lack of C4 weapons was that it was meant as a balancing mechanic. Make the huge hardpoints only advantageous against against other large ships and you start to get some small semblance of balance. Right now the Anaconda is not supreme in general combat, and the Corvette looks like it will fill a pretty limited niche. If you just straight introduce C4 lasers with appropriate scaling, I think both of those ships will just completely dunk on everything else and reaffirm the hierarchy.

That said, poor weapon variety isn't a good solution either. What if the tracking rates for gimbal and turret weapons got progressively slower the larger the class? You can have your C4 turreted death beams, they're just going to have a hard time consistently hitting anything smaller than a clipper or python. That would add some more utility to the small and medium hardpoints as well. You'd need those to efficiently deal with small opponents. Without them you're bait for the nearest Vulture.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I make no claim that anything Frontier does fully works out the way they intended, but the real consequence of these missing C4 weapons right now is pretty clear, and it's very telling to look at the few weapons they have chosen to create C4 variants for so far.

In any case the point isn't to remove the progression curve, just soften it and create a space for interesting match-ups like a Corvette that dunks on Condas but could be exploited by a Vulture/Clipper/Python, and a Conda that is reasonably well-rounded but has a natural predator in the Corvette. Adding C4 lasers with no other stipulations would make that pretty impossible.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Chrysophylax posted:

This is why I disagree with the gun size chat. Most of you think only about gimbals/turrets, but those guns aren't even required to hit small ships, they're just convenient.

Go try busting up a wing of eagles in a Conda with only fixed lasers and see how much fun that actually is. :colbert:

timn
Mar 16, 2010
It looks like a shoe.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I actually created macros to autmatically shift to 4 pips in one option and 1 pip in the other 2 options with a single button press. It's much nicer than playing DDR with my hat switch constantly, and I actually switch power during combat more often since it's not such a bear.

You could get spergier with macros for other pip splits like 4-2-0, but 4-1-1 seems pretty sufficient in general.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
To be fair, a lot of game is already designed around a sort of pseudo-realism and attention to detail to help immersion and suspension of disbelief.

Saying "lol realism" is kind of off point because that's a big part of what makes this game still feel cool despite the shallow and poorly balanced gameplay.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Chrysophylax posted:

I disagree, since it entirely depends on where you draw the line as to where your immersion breaks. I just happen to draw it at 'it's a video game'. Otherwise I'd be stuck at instant repairs, visible laser beams, maximum speeds, instant loading of cargo, instant repairs, hyperdrives or what have you.

It's not really a binary thing though. Elite could be less realistic than it is without ruining my appreciation for the attention to detail that still exists, or more realistic without ruining my notion of fun.

The pseudo-realism in Elite is useful to gameplay because it helps you use your natural intuition to engage with the game and feel rewarded for it. E.g. really big weapon hardpoints that have limited use against small oponents is something that makes natural sense, and it feels good to recognize that intutively and take advantage of that understanding.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Totally fair, and I wholly admit the theory is only as good as how well Frontier applies it. Some of this stuff is more like the way I wish they would do it rather than how well they are actually pulling it off right now.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Making PVE less of a faceroll isnt necessarily a bad thing, either. Hazres as it is feels pretty safe in a loaded Python unless you pick a fight with a wing of Condas or something. And even those kinds of odds are surmountable with the right tactics. The risk factor needs a boost yet at that level to keep things interesting, imo.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
So is it just hype right now or does it really seem like the Anaconda will end up being the red-headed step child of the big 3?

timn
Mar 16, 2010
How's the handling on the cutter? If the corvette is similar to a python, and the cutter is worse than both, then I fear it could be obnoxious to muscle around in combat. Otherwise it seems like it ticks all the boxes to be an amazing multirole ship.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I figured the cutter might be frustrating for combat with the poor maneuverability and small distributor, but why not outfit it for mining/hauling? Seems like the extra cargo space would be great to allow for more limpet controllers without cutting into overall cargo capacity. And in that configuration you could skimp on the pricier internals to keep the cost less insane.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Vahalla posted:

I'm looking to upgrade from my Vulture into something larger. FDLs and Pythons are similarly priced, and I mostly intend to do bounties. Is there a glaringly right choice? Seems like the FDL is the shootier option to the Python's more multi-faceted capabilities.

Right now the Python is pretty clearly the best at PVE, especially endurance-oriented activites like grinding out bounties or combat zones.

- The outpost docking is pretty significant
- Its hardpoints are second only to the conda and the distributor is big enough to use them well
- It's still reasonably quick and maneuverable
- Shielding is second only to the conda
- With the best power plant it can run dual SCBs with hardpoints deployed
- It easily converts to being one of the best ships at certain trade/mining roles too

The hardest part is adapting to the lower maneuverability when you're used to the zero-effort flight model of the vulture.

The picture might get shaken up some with the balance changes in beta, but that's all speculative and subject to change right now.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
The outpost landing alone means the python will probably always have a niche for any future [redacted] which require it, even after future ship releases and balance changes. It's just way too good in too many ways for a medium pad ship

That said, a good A-fit costs 150-200 million, so keeping one around just 'cause will sting a bit once you're trying to scrape cash together for a reasonable cutter or corvette.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Actually I've settled on a build for the 'vette that slaps C3 beams in the C4 slots and a PAC in the C3 slot with Multicannons in the C1/2 slots and that's basically the build I run in my Python. So I guess now the questions is what does the Corvette bring to the table (aside from aesthetics) that my python doesn't?

Better shields and armor, beefier power distributor, and more utility slots, all with comparable turning.

I'm planning to try dual C4 cannons and burst lasers everywhere else. In PVE shields arent that hard to chew through as it is, and I'm hoping the cannons will be brutally efficient against hull.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Interesting that you can deploy the rover from a ship hangar. I wonder if there will be things to do just around the base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Shine posted:

What's a fun Python loadout for RES stomping? Somebody in IRC mentioned that there's a popular loadout anchored by a perma-firing beam, but I forget the rest of the details. I tossed this together but haven't bought it yet.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/python/27A6A5A4A7A6A5C15151527270404000l4f5o5o5j5jf4f32t6b.Iw1-gDJZA===.IwBj4yrZiA==

Use the burst lasers to tear down shields quickly and then open up with the multicannons. The SCBs are used in pairs with the dedicated SCB button (presume this will have to change with the rebalancing in 1.5). The fuel tanks can be swapped for cargo or hull reinforcements as desired. You can also downgrade the bulkheads to save a bunch of cash if needed.

• Locked thread