Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Just started this thing and am using a joystick for the first time since 1992. Got the 16000m Hotas setup and it's so weird to play but feels so nice compared to M&KB.

Just wanted to say thanks for the OP and all the guides/tips because they've made the learning curve so manageable. My only experience was with X2-3-4 so it's a whole new ballgame but so much fun so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Just to be sure I don't "waste my time too badly".

Is doing salvage-only missions for the first hours a good way to learn the game or should I try to get in early bounty missions to learn the ropes while I have a Sidewinder and difficulty isn't too high? I know the OP is saying I should stop playing Solo mode since learning to deal with hostile people early on is a very useful thing.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cowcaster posted:

just grabbing whatever low-level missions tickle your fancy on whatever bulletin board you're at is as good a way as any to get your feet wet in the game. you should look to get out of the sidewinder and into almost legitimately anything else as soon as possible though, since it's the game's equivalent of respawning without any of your equipment.

Great, thanks a bunch!

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Tonight I learned that being interdicted by a Cobra MK3 or 4 means I should comply in a sidewinder and that if I die, the blackbox mission doesn't say failed but it is since the mark does not respawn.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CapnBry posted:

You really need a Detailed Surface Scanner [snip]

Thanks for that post! I've been really enjoying exploring/salvaging way more than the combat so far so that'll come in very handy when I stop being a complete newbie and break over 150k creds :D

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So erm.... started my first bounty mission to kill 4 blue pirates and in 2.5 gas tanks I have managed to find 1 that wasn't going beyond the speed of light for 15 minutes.

I might be doing this wrong.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh jeez.

Thank you, I'll try that out.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Made it to 800k after a few bounty missions with lucky patrol positioning in the sector.

I enjoy Bounty Hunting but exploring/mining is also pretty neat. I presume if I go Cobra I won't be as efficient as if I go Viper for Combat. I'm thinking maybe get an Eagle first to see if combat is really for me and then maybe pick a bigger one?

What would you recommend, it'd genuinely be my first move up from a starter sidewinder with no upgrades. I like exploration/combat mostly if that helps.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 25, 2018

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Trustworthy posted:

Alternately, hang out at nav beacons and scan for pirates/smugglers with warrants. Same deal as RES, pretty much.

I've been doing that alongside 1-2 kill quests and wow the credits are silly for a new player.

Knifegrab posted:

Cobras rule and are great multirole ships. That being said I think my biggest piece of advice is just have fun and try things. There really is no"best" in elite unless you are strictly doing pvp. Find what you love, some of my favorite ships are my favorite just because the canopy is massive and the engine sounds cool.

Edit: and earning the cheaper ships really doesn't take long, so don't over think your decision too much!

Will do :) Probably a better idea to experiment loadouts with cheaper before I start blowing through almost all my money for my 2nd ship.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 25, 2018

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Outfitted my first ship - went with an Eagle to not overspend. The speed/cargo/fuel/firepower boosts aren't even funny compared to the SW.

Can't imagine how those huge Corvette/cutter/clippers will be.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Someone one discord mentionned Imp Eagle was a good way to learn Railguns. Is it worth the investment to boost an Imp Eagle before going full Cobra/Viper or should I just bypass that stage if I can afford several rebuys of the latter.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

the milk machine posted:

You can sell any modules back for 100% of what you paid, and selling a ship you only take a 10% hit. As long as you have a decent stack of credits, you really don't have much to lose by taking ships for a test drive and seeing what you like. The smaller ships are cheap enough that 10% as a "test drive" fee is probably the equivalent of just running a couple missions.

Did not realise that. Thank you :) I feel much better trying stuff out now.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I entered a high intensity conflict zone once yesterday in my lovely 5k rebuy eagle and was fragged before I had the time to scan any of those 5 big imperial ships of the faction I was sent to hurt :v

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Do any of you have an entry-level Cobra 3 or Imp Courrier build? Saved up a few millions and decided to not go for the Imp Eagle since I actually want to start doing some more exploration on top of kill missions.

I mostly ask because I read the builds on that one site are pretty weird and not worth following at all.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Knifegrab posted:

I feel blind but where is the penetration stat in game?

It goes down and stays at zero upon installation.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm really glad I sucked it up and stayed up later than I planned to last night.

Goal was 60 million (started at 3) and made it up to ~500 in the end.

I'm not high enough for the Cutter/Anaconda but I can make it up to a decent Clipper.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cowcaster posted:

i mean i know we're talking about how inflated a-ranked stuff is but 500mil should be fine towards getting yourself a midrange anaconda

Honestly I haven't even started looking at those ships yet. Made myself a full A Cobra though, first real ship outfitting after my very lovely Eagle build for basic assassination missions :D

Looking forward to give it a run after work.

Glad to know that I'm covered for a while though!

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Welp, might experiment with a Python tonight then. No pun intended.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rynoto posted:

Should take a look at outfitting a Python, too. It's an incredibly versatile medium ship perfect for use around the bubble .
Highly prefer it over the 'Conda/Cutter for everything except their specific roles.

Short of "get almost everything A rated you can and go from there" is there a preferred python build for general use?

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rynoto posted:

Here's a copy of my bubble python build. Standard engineering or whatever you want to taste. Mission runner/hauler/engineering collector/lazy build.

Only thing it can't do well is exploration or combat zones.

e: hazres != cz

Thank you!

Edit: any recommended place to farm Imp rank?

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 6, 2018

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I forget who sent me their Cobra 3 build but thank you, it works so well and the mini gun + beam lasers really do quick work of anything small and I've managed to 1v1 a Python in an assassination mission so that was surprising.

Looking forward to setting up my Python and Clipper very much when I get the rank!

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Arcturas posted:

How do faction rank up missions work? I just need to keep checking random mission boards for the faction until a rank up mission appears? I've got 100% on both my Empire and Federation rank bars but haven't seen anything appear.

I'm working on grinding some Empire rank for that sweet sweet courier since it is a really pretty spaceboat. The boom data runs seem to be getting me rep super quick, but I'm not entirely clear on whether rank up depends on reputation gains? Or if it's just pure number of missions run? Either way, I guess it's worth getting the Empire to love me for a while.

On top of what Milk said.

I was told Ngalinn and Mainani data missions were the best for Imperial rank grinding and they really are. Made 20 mill and unlocked Clipper rank in about 2-3 hours (for data missions that's way more than I thought).

You can get mission caps of those and get delivery pay bonuses - pick the Reputation +++ reward with credits and the bonuses stack up very fast. They are also neighbouring systems. You will get allied easily with all 3-4 main factions.

I've had 6 rank missions spawn in a row too which is all luck I guess but it makes ranking up pretty fast :)

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CapnBry posted:

I got the rest of the 70% I needed to hit Rear Admiral last night and I'm not even sure you can call it a grind any more. It took 20 minutes to get the 70% and 21% into the next rank. Compare that to when I got Duke and a full board of 20 missions would move the progress bar like 6-7%. Getting federal / imperial rank seems to take about the same amount of time it took to get a single faction to Allied before the patch and is now something that will actually just happen on its own doing a moderate amount of missions over time. It is a very sharp change from requiring like 2200 missions per navy which would be improbable to hit just playing the game.

I made it from rank 1 to viscount in about 3 hours of on and off missions... didn't think I'd have access to the Clipper so fast. Pretty happy about it though!

Grats on your own successful grind :)

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Grinding courrier and data boom missions and taking the Rep +++ rep in some sectors works well... I think the Fed ones that were recommended were sothis and ceos.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I found a fantastic beast and it's the clipper.

That ship is so fun to fly and has interesting loadout options...

My 1 complaint is that I realised too late not all stations have L-sized pads so I will need a side small/medium still for some stuff :D

Probably gonna go mining now or something.

Other than that :discourse:

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 8, 2018

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Seeing all this, I am really glad I "exploited" with the skimmers as a newbie.

The game is seriously good but the Devs really seem to like to think everyone can dedicate 12 hours a day to the grind.

Is there a particular order to approaching the engineers or just go as the first ones freely unlock from progress and go from there?

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 8, 2018

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Made it to that Duke rank, 2 evenings from serf to it and 30+ mill in profits from it is pretty nice.

Got my clipper to get Meta-Alloy and now I have to farm Farseer data/mats forever.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Helianthus Annuus posted:

but the clipper is much faster

unfortunate hardpoint placement though

Hardpoints seem to be not too bad. I do dislike the L only pad though :( But it looks so much better than the Python.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gonkish posted:

Oh it looks like they're going to nerf the rep gain from data delivery missions because FUN HAVING in this here game, and whatnot. The brown sea is, of course, cheering them on, while simultaneously inserting razorblades into their urethra again, I imagine.

Welp. done with imp (prince) guess it's time to do it with Fed before the nerf.... Thanks for the notification!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

jubjub64 posted:

Where did you grind Imperial pls?

Ngalinn and Mainani data/courrier missions are rather silly good.

You get to allied fast and then you get nice time bonuses and can do a few million per run - not insane money but it does show.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 10, 2018

• Locked thread