Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I bought this game a while ago but didn't really play it. Then I got an Oculus Rift and decided to jump in with both feet. I went out and got a Thrustmaster T-16000M with throttle and now I am wondering if anybody knows of a good, intuitive, tried and true button setup for this device?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

TipsyMcStagger posted:

You sound exactly like what I just did.. I got a good button set up now.. I'll share it later tonight.. hopefully I can find a way of dumping the binds but I think i'll have to edit that picture set up.

Thanks, this may make it easier:
https://www.mcdee.net/elite/

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Here's without my comments.

Here's with my comments.

http://www.mcdee.net/elite/configs/fznzdt.binds for the file.

Lastly, I'm not showing Galaxy map controls, fighter controls, multicrew controls because I haven't had enough experience with them to know what's important to bind, you'll have to try different configurations for the galaxy map controls. I currently hate mine and in the middle of rebinding.

Hot drat, this helps a lot. I will assimilate this and adapt thanks!

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I was in solo tonight and saw a ship piloted by a "LOWTAX". Is there a developer connection to SA?

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Jumped into my first white dwarf system last night. It was really breathtaking at first. Then my cockpit started smoking...

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

CapnBry posted:

I just fired up E:D for the first time in a couple of months yesterday in VR and all the buttons on the base of the joystick are. the. loving. worst. For some reason all my bindings were reset so I had the default setup and I remembered how bad it is to have functions bound to them. Even if I could see them, I have to choose to let go of my stick or throttle to blow chaff, open the cargo scoop, or put the landing gear down? Let's just say that taking my hands off the controls does not synergize well with my full-throttle-drifting-flip landing style.

It is a good stick though and feels nice and precise without the sloppy center position my HOTAS X had. I'm not a big fan of the forward only throttle either. It does have nice threaded holes in the bottom for mounting which is a big plus not having to bungee cord the controllers to chair arms. The workaround for losing the 12 (twelve!) buttons at the base of the stick is to use one of the hats on the throttle as a shift key then making chord button combinations. I only remap heatsink, chaff, hardpoint retract, landing gear and scoop but leave galaxy map, system map, game menu, reset HMD and ship lights on the base buttons. That means I only use one of the hat's one direction as a shift so I only lose one button there.

A couple of pages back I got some help from a friendly goon on a nice setup for the T160000000000M. You should find it. It uses the two orange buttons on the thrust as shift modifiers and it works great for me.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
This is just cool:

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
In regards to the community goal. Is it even worth trying to get to a higher tier like 75% or 50% if all I have is a Type 6 for moving goods?

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
So now that the community goal for shipping is complete you can't get a profit from the required commodities. Can I still ship cargo at a loss and up my tier rank?

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

haveblue posted:

Yeah, I sold a load between the goal maxing out and the completed status appearing and it didn't change anything. I did make a profit on the sale, though, so there's that.

I didn't realize that the goal completed so when I sold my last load I lost about 100,000. Oh well. I guess the demand goes down from 999,999 at the completion of the goal. Which makes sense.

jubjub64 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 3, 2017

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Mike the TV posted:

You can no longer make player factions as of last month.

Zutaten posted:

Canonn is special. They're the group that basically devotes their entire lives to figuring out Elite and its mysteries. So they got rewarded with a faction in their name, and more recently, were the subject of a community goal to build a new megaship, which succeeded and brought us the Gnosis. Canonn leadership also apparently has the ability to move said ship anywhere they want to, up to 2500 light years at a time, every Thursday (when the servers update) by asking nicely. Tomorrow will be its maiden voyage, and it'll be leaving the Varati system for... Somewhere in Hyades? I think.
I get rewarding people who have spent a lot of time in the game but this just makes me feel like an outsider in a game that I paid for.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Eldragon posted:

Frontier will look at this unexpected result and conclude: "Clearly this game requires more grind"

Pls no, kill me now.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Seriously, why do they want us to grind so much? It's obvious that they do. When you make a player grind towards a goal you have to make sure that goal is worth it otherwise you get dissallusioned players.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Mike the TV posted:

The first INRA base has been found. GalCop is back.

What are these words you have spoken?

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Just got my AspX blowed up by security forces due to some stray cannon fire. The insurance payment alone really took the wind out of my sails. I haven't been fortunate enough to get in on any money making exploits and I don't have the time to farm for days to have a comfortable insurance cushion. Now I don't want to do anything fun in case it gets me blown up again.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Had anybody here listened to the "We are Legion, We are Bob" audiobooks? Man, something like that in ED would be amazing.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

KakerMix posted:

I read them instead but they own.

orange juche posted:

yeah i read them, they're pretty good.

I can imagine an end-goal could be completing a Dyson sphere.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Enos Cabell posted:

Between the Diamond Frogs CG and the Oculus update that lets me pull a Netflix window into my vr cockpit, it's a good week to come back!

I couldn't get the window to stay in game. Everytime I exited the Oculus dashboard it disappeared too. How to make stay?

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Enos Cabell posted:

In the lower right corner of that window, there is a pushpin looking icon, that will make it stick. Took me a few tries to figure that out, they are kinda hard to see.

Excellent!

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I found out you can make it in and out of one of the damaged stations without heatsinks if you are pretty quick. How do I know? I was so flustered by all the explosions and heat that I kept launching chaff instead of my heatsinks. By the time I got out my heat was over 200 but I survived with lots of hull damage.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

AzureSkys posted:

I started to head there and at the beginning of my 12 jump trip I encountered a dwarf star. I thought I'd see if I could try the FSD boost thing for the 1st time in my Asp X only to not have the yellow border not show up as I approached it. So just as I hit the jet I was forced out of supercruise. It took a fair while of bouncing around as all my modules failed until I finally blew up.

Needless to say I've not done any rescuing yet.

Did you try rebooting your ship? I just found out about that option last night as I lost thrusters when I accidentally hit a security ship.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

AzureSkys posted:

I did reboot twice while stuck and my hull was slowly being damaged. I couldn't maneuver well enough to get out of the jet before the module would fail again, sadly.

I was going to try the dwarf star option on my way to the damaged stations but it was only going to make my trip like 1 jump shorter so I chickened out. Kinda glad I did as I'm not particularly rich.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Wait is this revealing what the Thargoids really look like?!?!?!

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

IcePheenix posted:

Every time I dare to start enjoying this game again, one of the ridiculously obtuse problems problems always surfaces and just kills any and all motivation I had to keep playing. I was super excited to go and evac some survivors of the damaged starports, but then I had to wait an hour and a half and pay 1.5 million credits for the lovely ship transfer. I could literally fly to Skvortsov and back (to the Pleiades) twice in that time, what a horribly implemented feature. :argh:

I had something stupid happen to me too. I rescued two large groups of people from the damaged station but when I got to the rescue ship I couldn't release them, the option wasn't there.
Apparently, because I had replaced all my cargo containers with passenger cabins I didn't have enough space to accept their 2 tons of space garbage that they wanted to give me as part of my reward. And because I couldn't accept it they refused to get off my ship and be rescued!
Had to travel to another system to buy a cargo container large enough to house their reward (which somehow they had on hand to give me even though I didn't have room) since the rescue ship didn't have containers big enough to buy. I had to store my fuel scoop at the new station to make room for the new cargo container and when I got back to the rescue ship and FINALLY dropped off my passengers I had to wait 8 minutes while my fuel scoop was transferred to me from the other station... :argh: indeed!

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
You guys are talking about manually timing your exit from supercruise. I have been using the autopilot for that (the blue section of my acceleration bar). Is that bad? Inefficient?

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

iospace posted:

One part:

With the correction that in supercruise it's the optimal position for hitting the dropout point with the correct speed. In sub-light mode it's the most maneuverable point, yes.

Basically what you can do is set your throttle at that point and you'd never have to touch it again until you drop out at your destination. You still have to steer.

Sorry I think I described it badly. I'm talking about on the right hand side of the center display, the throttle gauge. If I keep it in the blue it will automatically accelerate and decelerate for me so that I am at the correct speed when I reach my destination and can drop out of SC. Is that just for beginners?
From what I am reading I should only use that when I am close to my destination, not the for the whole duration - is that right?

Edit: Ok I see. So its not that big of a difference how you do it then.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I'M LEARNING

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I don't have a ton of money, enough to buy a FAS or a FGS but not both. Is one better than the other for killing in High REZ? Should I just keep saving for something else? Currently I'm running around in a ASP Explorer.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

vorebane posted:

Drake 263 posted a very nice comparision.

I can't personally speak to how they fare in a high rez, but my vulture is fun there when I remember to be cautious.

So I guess my question still remains, are they worth it as an upgrade from the Asp Explorer or should I be saving up for something that is more of a worthy milestone.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I just got paid 2 million to kill the space equivalent of Joel Olsteen so yeah that was awesome.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I went ahead and bought a FAS and have been loving it. I had been using my Asp Explorer for too long as a explorer/shipping/fighting rig. Having a dedicated killship is awesome. I love being maneuverable enough to stay in someone's blindspot and dual frak cannons is great. I'm downing more ships than ever.

My goal is to get enough money saved to buy the FGS before it goes off sale.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I thought it was only for those who participated in the community goal, is that wrong?

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Dolemite posted:

I guess more and more people are finding out about the Parutis <-> Medb passenger run (thx for. I've racked up a few "reckless flying" fines due to people hauling rear end into the mail slot or just straight ramming everyone out of the way. And since my Anaconda takes up the whole mail slot, I can't avoid these people. :(

---

Speaking of, I'm really regretting the purchase of the Anaconda. I was hoping to use it as a general purpose murder ship/cargo and passenger hauler. I know that huge ship = slow. But, after flying the Python for so long and getting used to how slow it flies and turns, I didn't expect such an insane downgrade in maneuvering! I would never choose to fly it in combat. It'll get eaten alive by anything fast enough to beat a minivan in a race.

My AspEx is my mining and exploration ship, I've been using my Python for combat and space trucking. Not sure what other uses there are for an Anaconda. Unless engineering turns the Anaconda into a beast? I've been grinding Fed rank, so I'm curious if the Corvette will be just as slow.

Why wouldn't everyone do the passenger run in solo? I certainly don't want to get griefed by some jerks while I'm hauling 100 million worth of passengers. Also, less people to clog your mail slot.
I just bought my Anaconda and so far I like it.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
"Waaah waaah they should have a separate section of the station for criminal passengers and cargo. Or make the illicit missions a different color, not just a small footnote in the passenger description." - Me, an hour ago.

Now I gotta wait 24 hrs for the wanted status to go away...

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Being wanted doesn't really mean a whole hell of a lot. You can conduct all the business you want while wanted, just don't let the cops scan you. Be quick when docking, or drop heatsinks when you start to be scanned, and you can pass thru without issue.

Yeah, I tried to do that when I was leaving the station but for some reason my heatsink didn't cover me. Maybe it was because I bumped around the mailslot as I made my exit. I'm still getting used to my new Anaconda.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Dwesa posted:

Go to Parutis, find passenger missions that go to Vela Dock in Medb, go to Medb and alt-tab while you fly to Vela Dock (it takes about 25 minutes, but pays a lot).
Also, you should probably equip a lot of economy class cabins beforehand.

Do as this person says. I started out making runs with a Type 6 hauler and now I have an A rated Anaconda with about 700 mil left over.

I try to focus on the passenger missions that don't have a specific passenger name attatched to them (Example: Joe Schmoe wants to go to Medb) because they want to take up the whole passenger bay with their entourage which is a huge waste of space with the larger passenger bays. If you pick the "22 Aid Workers want to go to Medb" kind of missions you can stack them up in the passenger bays back to back with no wasted space. I guess if you only have a little space in your ship it would be good to ignore this and go for the named passengers since they pay more usually. LOOK OUT FOR CRIMINAL OR WANTED PASSENGERS UNLESS YOU LIKE DODGING SCANS AND MAYBE GETTING BLOWN UP

jubjub64 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 4, 2018

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

do it if you need the money, but what I'm saying is don't let that be all you do. I've seen dozens of players come and go, they latch on to whatever money making gimmick is hot at the moment, make a ton of money, buy a cutter or corvette, and then lose interest because they reached their end goal and know nothing about the game beyond flipping boards and doing the one specific task that got them their money.

For me its really about having a reasonable safety net in case a mission goes pear shaped or I accidentally drive into a star or I get tag teamed in open space. During my bus drives I have been thinking about what I want to do overall with my time in the game. I guess joining those damned frogs is in my future.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

I just got this during the sale and it seems like it's entirely My Kind Of Thing because I love flying around in space doing random Space Stuff. But I've played through the first handful of tutorials and the combat one wrecked me three times before I finally scraped by. What am I missing there? I was basically trying to maneuver to keep the other guy in front of me enough for my gimbals to ping him, right? I'm honestly still trying to wrap my head around the best way to fly around in real 3D space based on what I see on the radar, but still - I'd blow up the first guy, his friend would show up, I'd lock on, switch weapon groups, and then promptly get shot all to hell and back. Meanwhile the tutorial voiceover lady is telling me poo poo like it's going to be so easy I should divert power away from shields into weapons, stuff like that. It's really jarring - I've got to be doing something horribly wrong.

Also, is there a PDF somewhere of a good setup for a Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X? It feels like more things could be bound (or things could be bound more efficiently) but I'm new enough to both the game and the gear that I'd rather play around with someone else's binding set up for a while. I played FPSes with the arrow keys until like 2003, I don't want to repeat that kind of nonsense.

ALSO also, is Horizons cool? It looks cool. I'd shell out $30 for something cool, but I'm worried that they're about to announce another "season pass" or something soon.

Ignore the tutorial's difficulty, it hasn't been balanced.

Here is one setup I found, I don't personally have that hotas. You can download the profile at the bottom
https://www.mcdee.net/elite/binds/zyumgm?replay=zyumgm

The next semi-expansion that is coming out will be free to Horizons owners so you are at least partially future-proofed by buying it.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

Oh, you guys at the CG we’re looking for the Gorilla Channel?

This almost looks like the yellowing plastic casing of an old pc which makes me very jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Holy crap that's it. That was the link my mind was trying to make since seeing it.

• Locked thread