Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

khwarezm posted:

So is this game good or what?

It's barely a game outside of CQC. There are two kinds of ED players:

1. Galactic tourists who play the game like it's a chopped down Space Engine. Press the J key, scan a system, scoop some fuel, listen to your favorite podcast, repeat.

2. People who have access to the CQC beta, an arena combat module separate from the main game.

Beyond that it's really shallow. The mission system, the economy, buying and upgrading ships; all have the depth one would expect from a flash game. After putting 50 hours into it I'm very disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
One of my biggest complaints about the game is that it doesn't give players enough tools to make their own fun. It's not as open-ended as it first appears. The instanced nature of much of the content makes for a very static galaxy. The absence of any sort of crafting system makes mining pointless and trade simplistic. And Power Play is just an awful grind masquerading as political intrigue, it's so bad they should just dumpster the whole system and start from scratch.

ED feels like it should be a great game because underlying elements like the flight model, the UI, the graphics, the universe itself are just so drat good. But Frontier has failed to take those elements and make them into something worth playing.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

They're not wrong. It is pretty basic. The design of the game works against itself.

He's laughing about how I put 50 hours into a game that I think is bad. The game is fun at first but there's a point where it quickly gets boring. I kept playing because it's easy to log a lot of hours trading and exploring while doing other stuff outside of the game. It's a podcast screen saver.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
CQC is fun but I want to physically harm the Frenchman who seems to show up in all of my matches with his mic permanently open. There's no way to mute incoming comms, is there?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

frank.club posted:

C'est pas bien?

"Ohhhh [inaudible] baise-moi [sound of vacuum cleaner in the background interspersed with dialogue from a French TV drama] est-ce que tu fais ça demain? [sound of his Sidewinder exploding] ohhhh... merde"

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Literally Kermit posted:

Plow the bow of a buddy's Anaconda into the moondust, ramp a buddy on top of 'Conda, signal for take off, wait until upper atmosphere then drive off and sky-dive that motherfucker

Finally, some emergent gameplay!

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Is Frontier owned by the game's designer? Elite strikes me as a singular-vision type project where one person has complete creative control over the design and development of the game. That would explain why some aspects of the game are neglected while others are so refined you could snort them off a credit card.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 23, 2015

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
This game has the weirdest premium pricing model I've come across. And by weird, I mean they're charging us for horse armor but no one really seems angry about it.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

RubberJohnny posted:

Better than charging $400 for ships like Star Citizen.

I think we can all agree that Star Citizen isn't a game.

GaylordButts posted:

Some amount of basic paint jobs should really be included for free, though.

This.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Schroeder91 posted:

I just got this game and a Thrustmaster T Flight HOTAS. Do I need to get a certain key binding file for best results? I've never used a joystick before so IDK what I'm doing. Selecting the T Flight in controls gives me movement but seems like the buttons don't do anything..? I could be wrong.

Googling showed me a Giant Bomb reference sheet with tons of stuff but no way to set it up.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16140&page=13&p=1185166&viewfull=1#post1185166

This will get you started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Gestalt Intellect posted:

The boosting speed didn't drop because there's no drag in space to slow them down, so without thrusters they were stuck sailing away in one direction forever.

If I hit the boosters and then cut power to my thrusters will I coast forever?

• Locked thread