Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Shine posted:

The game takes liberties with physics in order to make combat fun instead of really weird. I assume the "broken thruster while boosting = infinite boost speed" is a bug.

I mean that makes total sense but that rear end in a top hat got away and that makes me VERY UPSET

I should at least be able to keep that boosted speed after a boost in FA off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Dang where the official patchnotes @

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Bought a Cobra

Not terrible impressed

Only fought targets that would have been just as easy as a Viper so I haven't really enjoyed the extra armor

150 cr for 'Winder kills needs to gently caress off even if that's a 5 second fight

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Finally got into a Cobra

gently caress this separation. I can't hit anything with both lasers at once. Back to the Viper.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

ShineDog posted:

gimble your poo poo

I really like fixed beams but also I can't find a place selling gimbaled. Heading to the Land of Avril and hoping I can find some. My Viper is parked 6 jumps if I really feel like grabbing it instead.

xiansi posted:

For straight up fighting, Viper > Cobra. Unless you run away a lot.

Then you need money for a Diamondback Scout, and then an Imp Courier...wish I'd had all those options for early-game combat ships at launch - you are spoiled!

Yeh Courier is my next ship because I likea the shooting

I think my next step is to get gimbaled lasers, the best thrusters because hooly poo poo Cobras defaults are terrible and its a slug, then hopefully run illegal cargo to money up while blowing up dudes for variety.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Took gimbaled lasers out for a 300k killspree and it was MUCH better, esp with the most expensive thrusters I could afford and starting to mess around with full reverse. Thanks for the help guys~

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Anyone else's mouse basically not be a thing after the patch? It has the big grey icon of a 3d device but as much as I move it, it won't stray from the center of the screen.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Lol I can't use the mouse at all in E:D now

Like the cursor is glued to the center of the screen and when I move on say the map it appears but only moves a pixel in whatever direction and immediately resets

I have to use it for the drat map because I don't want to spend 3 hours setting up HOTAS to have controls that make any sense yet here we are

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Thanks guys

Also I stopped in a Compromised beacon even though I am trash and it was terrifying

Managed to get a couple leech kills out of the 8 large fights happening and then a dude took my shields down in 1 hit and started firing missiles

Did the patch make NPCs shoot a lot more missiles because I went from seeing it zero times to about 10% of the time which is scary

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Anyone get a Dropship Mk II? Liking the possible loadouts and it's at a price that actually feels reachable (despite being down to 2m credits)

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Looks like I might get bit by the mining bug too

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

If you use Minecraft as an example of A Thing Done Properly you've instantly lost the argument

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Let me skim the oceans and crack the water into hydrogen for fuel. :getin: Also mine ice asteroids for water ice and crack that into fuel. More potential hydrogen sources would be a good thing for explorers

Oh man I want to chase down comets in an emergency

All landing on a moving object

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

KakerMix posted:

First, we need comets.

Well yeh that too

Wondering how they'd implement tracking them since they'd be too slow and small to see in FSD

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

"You can boost inside a station and get stuck between pads and blown up for loitering"

This message brought to you by half a bottle of bourbon, half a bottle of wine, a few Guinness, and whatever the hell size beers they were serving at the work picnic

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Interesting to be in a Cobra and able to take smuggling missions. 200k for 4 jumps and just being terrified of ships that show up green but none of the have even involved areas with cops. Hardest part is if I get dicted really. Gonna be in a Vulture any day now.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Shine posted:

I take breaks from mining to smuggle with my Asp. The jump range is like 30, so it takes just a few minutes to run those for $300-$600k. Though I'm tempted to slap together a dedicated smuggling Cobra (like so) for that stuff because the Asp handles like a big stupid blimp and I kinda hate using it for anything but mining.

I think I've seen this one before, why is it a class A Friendship Drive? Just to keep # of jumps down?

I can totally put this together but that's a third of the cost, just wondering if it's as necessary if I'm fine with adding a few jumps per run.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I have never seen one of those stations dang

Now that I'm just running cargo maybe I'll come across one

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Shine posted:

The Diamond Frogs combat zone NPCs are basically goons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOzoXUGKz0M

This rules

Shine posted:

I got my rep up with the "cheesing donations" bit that's all over the ED forums. I'd accept any ~$500K smuggling missions that came up, and when I got bored enough of donation spamming I'd head out and do them all at once to make a few easy millions.

So just find a place that is Empire-affiliated (so owned by Avril), do all the donations and grab the biggest smuggling missions, swap modes, repeat until bored/full? Which missions am I looking for?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Innerguard posted:

Anyone else have a hell of a time doing combat zone bounties? I pop in, pick DF and deploy weapons and then generally some shithead starts lighting me up, usually a loving railgun packing Asp. I lose my shields before I can even take him down, assuming some of his friends don't jump on me and get in a little bit on the 'kick the vulture in the teeth' action.

I don't want to say ~this patch ruined everything~ but before I was having no problem dropping in, choosing a side, and hanging around greens and just kiting dudes into greens if things got hot

Every time I've tried this patch I've been immediately focused, as in guys fighting greens broke off and gangbanged me. This was when I first learned what life support was actually for! (Somehow never broke canopy before)

Shine posted:

I went to Tamar because it has several minor Empire factions that regularly offer donation missions (sometimes I'd get 4-5 at once, but sometimes you go several rerolls without any; yay probability). Basically sit there all goddamn day rerolling the board and doing all the cash donation missions that come up (and donations for commodities they sell, like food cartridges).

If you're doing this just for the Clipper, then keep in mind the time you'll spend doing this trick could be spent collecting enough RES bounties to very easily afford a Python. I just went the Clipper route because it looks cool.

I mean I'd like a way to get that rep without having to invest time and attention into combat (still have to pay attention to the screen as a Cobra), but I might say screw that and just use that one weird trick (switching modes) to stock up a few million of smuggling missions and hope that cops stop trying to interdict me.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

3 posted:

Is it just me or has anyone else been sitting in witchspace for way too long today?

Just got on and yeh it's taking forever

Bulletin board operations are also hell of laggy and I got "cannot retrieve missions" or some sort of similar error once

All I want to do is complete the ascension mission that just popped up ugggh

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Had to be awake and on call until 5AM because my job is dumb so I spent the whole time smuggling

Got enough money to slip into this

http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/04A5D4D3D5B4D3C1d1o000505054d2b2r510b.Iw19kA==.CwBhCZQRjEdkoRA=

Is this good enough to hang around HIRES and ruin some pirate days?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I COULD DO THIS ALL DAY

AND I PROBABLY WILL

BECAUSE I COULDN'T AFFORD A BETTER LASER AND A BARE MINIMUM MULTI AND THE ONES THAT COME WITH THE VULTURE ARE REAALLLLLLY BAD

Seriously took about 2 minutes of laser while he just sat there and spun.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

:psyduck: The Vulture comes with class 1 guns, the same as the Sidewinder. Get class 3s!

I didn't math and had 500k left after the buy

Opted for the best shield I could grab because I'd rather kill slowly than lose the ship

Swapped back to my Cobra to get some smuggling runs done though. I also have a week long mission for 600k for kill 22 pirates

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Also it has an incredible amount of windshield and I just imagine it's really great with an Oculus

I'm ruining all sorts of slave's lives to build up cash to arm it now

e: I got scanned with a ton of illegal poo poo and the fine is less than the bounty I got blowing up a guy who interdicted me outside of the station.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

My friend SWEARS by beams but I find them really annoying because you have to be on all the time and gimbaled sucks at range

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

deadlyrhetoric posted:

I am stuck in witchspace?

I jumped for literally my final jump for my final run and I've been here for probably 100 seconds

God dammit

e: poo poo just dropped to reality

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

deadlyrhetoric posted:

Finally made it out but I was at a solid two to three minutes. That was my first jump back from a few month hiatus. I thought they might have changed something and was freaking out.

Past few days some jumps have taken hell of long, it's weird

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Shine posted:

Xihe is the nearby go-to system for outfitting. There's a high tech station there. This is my build.

At its most basic, slap on a pair of C3 guns (I like gimbal pulse; some people will do a laser and a canon, do whatever), a large FSD (its range is pretty bad), and chaff. You'll need a bigger power plant and/or module management if you're using high-level shield boosters and cells. That'll be enough for you to go stomp an RES. Beyond that, it's just beefing up the things that usually make sense to beef up (power distributor, thrusters, etc.). My build probably isn't min-maxed for shield capacity and such, but the Vulture doesn't need much help to dominate NPCs, and against players it'll be more a matter of pilot skill than gearing.

You run dual pulse?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Shine posted:

Yup. It's not the most visually exciting build, but dual C3 pulses will shred small ships in seconds and are serviceable against larger ones.

I'm just surprised that dual energy weapons is usable against the bigger guys.

My last smuggling mission was "200k for a single jump? Hell yeh!" and then I find out the place is 300k LS away. Fell asleep in supercruise, woke up a few hours later going over 2000c and I think half a lightyear past my target. I don't remember how far because it was 4AM and I just ALT-F4'd out. Is my ship going to be lost to the void?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

You'll end up sitting in space wherever you signed out of. You can probably just jump back into the system from another system since you've blown way past where that trip back would be shorter. This sentence makes sense in my head.

The mission probably expired before I woke up, so oh well. Gonna jump back to Kombucha and finally fit some good weapons on the Vulture since I have another 5m from smuggling.

Literally Kermit posted:

C3 Pulse Lasers on a properly fitted Vulture can fire just about forever with 4 pips to WEP. What you lack in each individual hit is made up for in a steady stream of damage :getin:

The Vulture is already pretty nimble, and doesn't gain too much from having anything in ENG, which also is plus. You can run 3 in SYS and WEP all the time, but better to learn how to switch between the two on the fly, of course.

As for your ship, we probably can get to you? How much fuel do you have left to actually run the ship's basic needs? If you have enough to make a short up to a nearby star you should be fine. No matter how far out you are when you jump out, you'll always jump back to the largest/densest body in a system.

Right I just assumed that a laser + hard rounds would always be superior to laser + laser, but I guess at big guns like C3 that doesn't really hold up?

Also thanks I think I'm ok on fuel? I was on full before this one jump and then hours of witching, but I should have enough to at least jump to another system. If I am truly hosed I'll bug you guys in IRC.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

1) Where can I find C3 multicannons? Trying dual C3 beams and...ehh.
2) Which system's great for RESing that's near Katmandu? Or really, any system with RES happening at all? Nav points and combat zones don't come close to the credits per hour even smuggling gets me.

3) Sheesh interdiction just sucks all over. Takes forever to try to break out of, if you submit and fight you get a whole 400 credits and it probably threw you far off course.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 15, 2015

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Shine posted:

1) They don't exist :(. There are C3 canons and flak canons, but not multi.

2) Dunno about Katmandu specifically, but in general look for Hazardous RES' or High Intensity. Sometimes it's slow going and then hooray 3 Anacondas and 6 Pythons just jumped in. You can easily rake in the millions once a RES picks up.

1) Argh
2) Right I know, I mean I literally can't find any, so I guess I just have to jump system to system until I find something happening?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So any suggestions on smuggling and not getting caught?

Don't fly near any green ships?

If you're landing on an outside platform that's literally all you have to do, and often there aren't even any cops.

If you're going inside something, stay at whatever range you jumped in, move up down sideways to line up with the hole, go in engines 4 and boosting, request docking exactly at 7.5 so you can have your face there

Many times I get scanned as I'm going in but the scan stops once you make it inside. Basically fuckin around near the entrance is where they will get you.

e: and even if they do the fine for a missing netting you 200k+ is like 10k so lol

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 15, 2015

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Re: multi-cannons

The best that Land of Avirl offers is F2. Screw that. Anyone got a lead on C2?

I can see why people are running double laser, just really unimpressed with the performance when shields are down.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Shine posted:

F2 is correct. When people say "C[X]" they are usually referring to "Class."

Oh shiiit

I thought they meant...rank I guess? My laser is actually C and 3, so I thought everyone was talking about C3.

hmm

e: Going around with this I still prefer it to just lasers. Power is a slight issue, I think I need to find a better grid.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Is cop spawning dependent on your trading rank? I had never had cops chasing or interdicting me until yesterday.

Also still never been scanned at an open air outpost, I see greens in the distance but they never get close enough to try.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

So why is Sothis the preferred smuggling station?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

So get there, cheese the mission resets to fill up my log and hold, then get back to civilization and drop it all off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Siets posted:

This is correct. I went there last night in an Asp fit posted in the Elite PGS thread. Took me about 3 hours start to finish to get out to Sothis, cheese reloading to pick up missions in the 2-5 million payout range (got about 12 of these), fly back to colonized space, then dock at 12 different outposts/stations to turn in and get paid. All in all this netted me 45 million for the entire thing. I plan to do a similar outing each night until they inevitably nerf this because Frontier hates semi-casual players getting spacerich and want only the grindiest of sperglords to be able to fly Anacondas apparently.

I do hear the siren call of a FAS with top tier everything and my Cobra is a badass at hauling

Crappy trade rank will probably not make it worth it though

• Locked thread