Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Finally back from space madness. I left in july and bounced around everything near barnard's loop, then went all the way out to monkey head and the crab pulsar. Looped around to the california nebula to see a herbig ae/be star before finally coming back.

Sold everything to the diamond frogs.

Before

After

:signings:

Was fun but but got extremely dull and I'm not sure I want to do it again, except maybe to visit saggitarius A* since the core looks way more beautiful than the edge of the galaxy where I went. What's a good shooty ship that I can afford now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

LCL-Dead posted:

Assuming total hyperspace distance is measured in LY traveled it would support that theory given that 24k LY is about the distance of a one way trip to Sag A.

Scared me. I too want to disappear into the black someday but I'd at least like a decent reward for all of the time spent honking and jumping.

Don't explore for money, you get trash from doing it and there's not really any trick to getting money faster from it than what I did. I left in july but you could have gone the distance I did (at 26 ly jump range) and easily been back in august if you just played more. The problem is that you probably wouldn't make more money per hour than me. I didn't waste time scanning ice worlds/rocky worlds or anything that would be too far away to be unprofitable compared to just jumping to another system, and I was the first to get probably over half of my scans so remember that I was also getting 50% more money from most of them. So those 2300 scans are relatively each pretty good.

You could go faster if you never do anything like fly up to planets for closeups or take screenshots but if you're not doing that then why the hell are you exploring. If you don't then the gameplay is just flying at a pixel until the game says you scanned it and then moving onto another pixel, then watching the witchspace animation for the (literally) thousandth time. Exploring can be cool and you can see some amazing things if you go to the right places (flying away from a black hole after rubbing your face on its boundary and seeing the crazy light distortion bring everything back into focus is one of the best things I've ever seen in a game) but it takes way too long to get to those places, even if you don't scan anything on the way and just jump. I don't know why the game doesn't let you make 100+ ly jumps, it really wouldn't break the game at all if you could.

The dumb thing is that after all that, according to the wiki I'm still only about 1/7 of the way to elite explorer rank. So that's never happening.

Couple highlights

Favorite moment was actually running into another player way out there.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 2, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They better make exploration a lot more profitable and cool with horizons but frontier hates fun so realistically carrying the rover will probably cripple your jump range and/or planetary landings on worlds without bases will be extremely boring with almost nothing to do but drive at HUD markers once you've played with the physics for a bit.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I thought the mineral deposits would be things you just scan and be done with, if you have to haul them back to populated space in an explorer ship then :laffo:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I get real mad about my space video games, like an adult, and I'm proud of it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

AndroidHub posted:

Also, as far as more things outside of the bubble goes, the regions that you need permits to get to on the other side of the galaxy will almost certainly be inhabited by alien races, there isn't much else they could be used for.

There's places on the other side of the galaxy that require a permit? That's like a greedy new world colonist claiming all the land he can see as his own, even if he'll probably never be able to reach the other side of it in his lifetime

quote:

Depends on what you consider "that bad" and what rank you're trying to get to, as well as your luck and a bunch of random metrics that are completely invisible to the player. But assuming you just want rank 7 that's still a good 5-8 hours of sitting there refreshing the board and throwing away money. After that it's 5-10 hours of doing that per rank, if you think this is an okay thing in a game then I don't know what to tell you. The trick here is that you simply aren't intended by the devs to be able to get ranks in a reasonable timeframe (which also isn't okay) but they haven't addressed the mission board refreshing yet so :shrug:.

But then there's also the argument that ranks after 7 do essentially nothing right now (permits to worthless systems.)

Okay so in other words I'm not getting the empire/federal ships

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That's some dumb poo poo. How is that suit sitting in an office thousands of light years away even going to know you're taking pictures of a giant cloud of space particles he supposedly owns. I was thinking of visiting the east/west veil nebula too when I'm not so burnt out on exploring.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sard posted:

Sci-fi fiction frequently approaches the business of meddling with your navigation or identification systems by making them self-destructive.

Also here's a pretty cool trip report from someone who travelled to the far rim of the galaxy. I previously lost interest in the idea of exploration just to have my name on Earth-like worlds or to see things like Sag A*, but all this stuff about special routes and named star formations? That's fuckin' neat and motivational.

I cannot believe there's fuel rats flying around at 65,000 light years away. I was afraid of running out of fuel in an unscoopable system a couple thousand ly away since I didn't think I could ask for a rat to go out there, but I guess this means there's good odds that there already are some rats flying around behind barnard's loop :psyduck:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Kitted out an Adder for exploration because I'm bored and have all night to myself tonight. Been flying in a straight direction towards the first nebula I thought looked cool. However, I've probably flown 800-900 Ly in a straight line and I'm getting loving followed, every single jump, by the same NPC trying to interdict me. Same name, same message appears in chat. Over and over and over and over again. I can't stop and explore/scan anything because if I do I just get interdicted. I've even dropped out of supercruise, went to make dinner, came back and made one jump, immediately getting messages in chat and the same NPC on my radar.

Am I loving something up or am I supposed to just be infinitely followed by an NPC no matter where I go, with no cargo or bounty?

I've never seen that happen once. Check your missions and delete any that you have like the other poster said.

Which nebula are you going to. I went to coalsack my first time

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Not very related but when I was coming back from my super expedition some idiot NPC in an asp crashed into me from behind when I was flying into the mail slot at skvortsov orbital and it gave me a heart attack

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hahaha there was another one of those awhile ago except it was just a difference of 2.5 million or something. Anyone remember if that one actually counted or if it was just visual?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Some NPCs will try to drag you out of supercruise, and if you screw up they uninstall your game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I get interdicted by pirates and cops with no quests and no criminal record. You are never free from it while you're in populated space.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zaardvark posted:

Fighting in a Combat Zone will not affect your reputation with the factions inside. You can kill Imperials all day, and the local Imperial stations will still cheerfully cash out your Combat Bonds. I guess it's like how soccer teams shake hands after the match.

Dismembered hands in this case maybe

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sard posted:

On the other hand, this is a game where you will spend a dozen minutes looking at the ten thousandth gas giant glowing on one rim with the light of a star and yet another field of rocks and then you will actually take pictures of this one, again, and then you'll post them on the internet to people who have seen nearly identical posts hundreds of times and they'll love it. It's a great lovable game and the embodiment of sperging.

gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Elite Dangerous 1.5: Are their dark-skinned humans (black people) in the Powerplay future of Elite?

• Locked thread