Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!
So I picked up Elite: Dangerous during the 40% off sale. I was unsure at first but $30 CAD seemed like a fair price. Since then, I haven't played anything else. In fact, what little free time I have is now spent either playing Elite, reading about Elite or watching Elite videos. This is the space sim I kept fantasizing about all my life, particularly after experiencing the disappointing Freelancer launch and later the mind-numbing boredom of X3: Terran Conflict. I honestly do not understand the complains about the emptiness of the game world, since the 1:1-scale galaxy is one of the main selling features of Elite. Space is empty!

Anyway, the base gameplay and immersion (thanks in part to the cockpit view and excellent UI) are unmatched. I will probably throw money in the general direction of Frontier this winter, even if I don't care about planetary exploration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Out of all the ships best suited for combat, which one has the longest jump range? Imperial Eagle?

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Thanks, I replaced my Viper with a Cobra and it's definitely an upgrade.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Quick question: the OP specifically discourages buying Saitek products but the Saitek X-55 Rhino looks like a really good deal. What kind of issues were people experiencing with it? Are there concerns with longevity? Is the firmware garbage? Is it a driver problem?

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The build quality is poo poo, and people routinely replace them. CH Fighterstick and Pro Throttle are my favorites. They're built by a company who hasn't changed the design in years and is better known for making industrial equipment.

Thanks, the CH Fighterstick was my second choice, actually: I've been using my Logitech G13 ever since I started playing Elite and I'm not sure I'm willing to trade this for a throttle at this point. I see people use decade-old CH stuff so looks like longevity is definitely not a problem. Is it worth checking Craigslist/Kijiji for these things or is getting one brand new a really big deal? The Canadian prices are not very good the current exchange rate is terrible.

Kryopsis fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 6, 2015

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If you like the G13 then keep using it. I own one and vastly prefer the Pro Throttle, but at the end of the day it's all muscle memory and whatever suits you. A used one would be fine if you can get it, although a new one comes with a 1 year warranty but you have to ship the thing to CA which can be a pain.

Great, I'll see if I can hunt down a used CH stick. Alternatively I can wait for Cyber Monday and Boxing Day to see if any of those are discounted. This said, the last game I played using a joystick was StarLancer so it's probably going to be a long learning experience.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

So wait, if PP and Avril Lavigne's bounty bonuses got nerfed, what's the best way to earn money while shooting things now? I don't want to trade or mine, I want things to explode!

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

CQC is a blast to play, especially on the asteroid maps where you can shake pursuers off or, appear out of nowhere behind an unshielded craft and unload your guns before the pilot even realizes what's going on. Shame the payout is so meagre. I got a flawless match just now where I ended with 7 kills and 1 assist without dying and... it's just not worth it, financially :(

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Gort posted:

Yeah, Viper, then Vulture. Very slightly less manoeuvrable, but much heavier armament and shields/armour.

Is the Viper actually better than Cobra? I am currently in Gende where there are 3 RES within short range of a High-Tech station so I figure I'll just stick around until I have enough for a Vulture. I have a Cobra with B-class everything but if Viper is better for combat, I might as well go for that.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It came from the reddits:

:stare:

Wow, you basically get a new Vulture for selling 3 containers of weed.
So far I haven't seen a single mission with a 7-digit pay. Do these appear as your reputation improves or is this some sort of a bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Literally Kermit posted:

He's not kidding. I regularly make use of my Vultures op shields and boost into other ships to finish them off. Try it, master it, you will feel like a kung fu master

Yeah, that's basically the reason why Vulture is totally fine with just lasers. You can always ram the Federal Drop Ship or whatever you're fighting to finish it off. The damage is surprisingly high and your shields can take the hit easily.

• Locked thread