Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Cactus posted:

I still think it kind of sucks that, and please correct me if I have this wrong, if I had waited to get the game I could've paid once for all of it, Horizons included, rather than having to pay about the same as I paid for the base game to upgrade to horizons. Does this mean it will be more worth my while waiting until the third expansion comes out and making one payment for both?
Do you complain on Steam if a game you've had and played for a year drops in price, or a GOTY edition with all the DLC comes out?

It's not like they snuck this poo poo on people a month before Horizons releases, there's been nearly 6 months of forewarning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

GaylordButts posted:

Had the pricing been announced that far in advance? I don't recall anything until it showed up in the store with their stellar "limited time loyalty discount" to save tenbux. I'm fine with them selling expansions, but usually those aren't the same price as the base game and when I buy an expansion I know at least an idea of the full content of it and not this "It's a year of updates *wink*" crap.
Horizons isn't going to be released until the end of this year at the earliest, even if you buy it now you don't get poo poo until then

So yeah, that's roughly six months in advance (announced in August as far as I remember).

GaylordButts posted:

As someone who is also trying to avoid KS/Early Access stuff the longer you can hold off on buying this game the better. It needed WAY more time to bake when I bought "version 1.0" back in January and should still have an Early Access banner slathered across it's steam page.
Well sure, that's valid. There's still a lot of stuff the game needs that's not there right now. Although they were pretty clear during the KS that this would be an ongoing project.

Hand wringing about Horizons purchasers being "rewarded" for waiting and getting the base game for free is total bollocks though. The loyalty discount for existing players could be more in my opinion, but giving the base game away with Horizons actually makes sense. It will be a year old by then after all, and it'll encourage new players to come in.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 16, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

The most recent dev update has named 2 more new ships coming with 1.5 - the Asp Scout and Viper mk. IV, because obviously Frontier realised that people are OK with variant ships and it lets them weasel out of properly filling their 30 ships quota that they guaranteed :v:
The 30 ship quota is old news anyway, they've already said they'll be aiming for more than that.

Variants are fine by me. But yeah I'd rather there were more sidegrades at a given tier instead of just straight up "best in role".

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

There's a few new weapons in CQC, maybe they'll make their way into the main game eventually.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Elite is currently 40% off on Steam.

AndroidHub posted:

They said in the most recent newsletter that 1.5 and horizons will be the same release, which I'm not very happy about to say the least, feels like a slap in the face tbqh.
They said they'd be released at the same time, not that they're the same release. 1.5 is still part of "Season One", you won't need Horizons to get the new ships.

I think all these slaps to the face are starting to blur your vision.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

AndroidHub posted:

What I'm annoyed about is that they keep going on about how there will be free content in season two for people who didn't buy horizons, being released with horizons essentially makes the ships into "free season two content" not season one, and that gives them free reign to be very wishy-washy with features being free or locked behind. Additionally being one release instead of two lets them skimp on the features in general; I get that they painted themselves into a corner with these release dates, but that doesn't mean I can't be annoyed by their mis-management.
I suppose you could read between the lines and interpret it like that, but it looks like you're going out of your way to jump to the most negative conclusion possible and then working yourself up about it. Relax for gently caress's sake, or you'll burn yourself out for when the real slaps come.

As far as I remember they've said 1.5 is part of season 1, not 2.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

AndroidHub posted:

If FDev had given any reason to expect anything other than the bare minimum in terms of what they plan to deliver I might feel differently, but everything points to them biting off more than they can chew. And you can parrot that it's season one all you want, but it's being released at the beginning of season two, not some indeterminate time before it like we had thought before the last newsletter, and they are calling all of the other planned features that you won't need to own horizons for to get "free season two content" so I don't see the difference.
I'm not parroting poo poo, I'm saying what I remember.

There's no way I can affect the outcome here, so I'd rather wait and see what happens than wind myself up over what might happen. You're obviously of a different school of thought.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

KakerMix posted:

I want to remind everyone that Frontier didn't have a route planner in the original design of Elite Dangerous. It wasn't there and people defended this.
300 billion stars and no route planning. This is, to me, the crowning :frontear:
I'm not sure why you think this, route planning is part of the galaxy map design discussion.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

DarthBlingBling posted:

How about don't ever pre order anything? Just wait till it's out

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

So their plan is to get people to sit F5ing their forum all day and then try to be the first sperglord to input a code when it appears.

Genius. Does the paint job come with an actual certificate of virginity, or is that just implied?

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 24, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Really!? That's a bit out of left field, didn't expect them to even discuss that until much later on.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Typical Pubbie posted:

This game has the weirdest premium pricing model I've come across. And by weird, I mean they're charging us for horse armor but no one really seems angry about it.
Purely cosmetic items are surely the best way to do a cash shop, you don't think?

There could be a better way to buy paint jobs (people mention Waframe in this regard, no idea as I don't play it), or at least a better selection. But as far as paying to play dress up, no one's bothered because playing dress up is secondary to flying spaceship.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Some of the paints should seriously just be buyable with ingame credits, I would seriously be willing to pay a million credits for paint for my diamondback.
Yeah, basic patterns buyable in game, special patterns buyable in shop feels like the sensible way to do it. I don't think Frontier's marketing dept. have any idea what sensible means though.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 25, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You get a Cobra MK IV with the pre-order. That has the fat rear end and extra hardpoint.

The new Viper will be available to everyone as part of 1.5 AFAIK.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You're right. Wiki is saying:

quote:

It will be an exclusive ship for players who own both Elite: Dangerous and Elite: Dangerous Horizons, or pre-ordered it during an exclusive time period.
So yeah. Doesn't give us any clue what difference a pre-order makes.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

From what I can gather from lurking in the thread: Dr Derek Smart PhD is apparently successfully trolling Star Citizen to death.

e:^^^yeah all that stuff^^^

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It probably won't be that expensive, the MK III is only 300,000 space bucks.

That's chump change even to brand new players, probably a few days to a week or two playing depending on how "dedicated" you're feeling.

e: if that actually, my knowledge of the newbie experience is pretty dated by now.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 25, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

They haven't dropped Occulus, I think they were just having trouble getting SDK 0.7 to work with Cobra so they advised players not to upgrade.

Post about it here.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Slow? Heh, initial Occulus support was put in days after a backer asked for it. It was literally:

"hey do you support Occulus Rift?"

"no what's that?"

/2 days

"okay you can use your Rift now"

Rift support got them a lot of good press early on during the alpha/beta stages, I can't imagine them just unceremoniously ditching it. It might not be worth the time to keep up with iterations of the dev versions, but I'm pretty sure the release version will be fully supported.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The expansion pass is tied to the same account as the base game (at least mine is, but I got mine as part of the kickstarter rewards), so I'm guessing no.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The base game is already included/bundled with Horizons, you just have to wait until it's released to play.

I think they'll probably stop selling the base game at that point, and Horizons will become their new base product (ready for the same trick the year after).

frank.club posted:

With the added bonus of it actually being released then
Heh, yeah.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 26, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Are you picking up kill missions for them, or just collecting combat bonds?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Hammer Floyd posted:

Do weapons upgrade at all? I haven't found anything beyond the starting Beam\Pulse\Burst lasers. While I don't mind that formula, it'd be cool if we could get better versions of those weapons...
Sadly no, not at the moment. There used to be variants you could buy like overcharged, focused etc, but they mysteriously disappeared from the game a while ago.

As part of the new loot system coming next year we should be able to get hold of upgraded weapons. They've mentioned things like different colour/frequency lasers having different effects (greater hull penetration, things like that). That's about all we know at the moment though, they're usually pretty tight lipped about things until they're ready to show us something.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

lee_ars posted:

For you fine goony folk who are following "Fangs," the web comic, I've put together a big-rear end 167-page PDF of all ten parts, complete with some nice formatting and an author's note and everything, real official-like. It's like an actual graphic novel!

Fangs, Book One: What the Watching Gods Thought

That's a shortlink because I've got it hosted on dropbox and I'm trying to keep track of the download count, but if you don't trust dat poo poo, the direct link is right here. Please enjoy and don't ban me.
Getting a vintage 2000AD vibe from these.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Just stumbled across this post detailing damage mechanics on the dev tracker, thought I might share. It might be interesting for those who don't know how it works.

quote:

Maybe I can clarify my comment of
"large weapons [...] don't actually do that much more flat damage than a small weapon but by piercing much better are far more effective against the harder target"

The intent is to point out that the flat damage variation is much smaller than the effective damage. To pick some numbers for the C1/C3 fixed beams vs stock sidewinder/anaconda hulls (note that I'm ignoring a few static modifiers for simplicity, like armour reduction).

Sidey (hardness 20)
C1 beam (base dps ~10, piercing 18) - total DPS = 9
C3 beam (base dps~25, piercing 50) - total DPS = 25
- C3 beam is 2.8 times as effective as C1.

Anaconda (hardness 65)
C1 beam (base dps ~10, piercing 18) - total DPS = 2.8
C3 beam (base dps~25, piercing 50) - total DPS = 19
- C3 beam is 6.8 times as effective as C1.

Against shields you do get the unmodified numbers which are more or less in line with the table Bunkerkind Anni posted furthr up. I'll admit a 2.5 times difference from C1-C3 is bigger than I thought when writing the post originally (I was writing from memory) but it's still a lot smaller than the 6.8 (or higher) it can be!

In general I've tried to keep the original post about mechanics which are unlikely to change massively, and avoid specific data is it does change fairly frequently (there's bigger changes over the umm...horizon ). This time actual numbers might help though.
I still don't understand their rationale for doing it like this. Even without the penalty that poor Sidey needs over a hundred shots to kill that Anaconda, while the Conda can burn it down in practically a single volley. The additional damage penalty just seems like needless kick in the balls to me.

Anyhoo, the other interesting part is in the last paragraph: "there's bigger changes over the umm...horizon". So possible changes to the way damage is dealt incoming (soon), in addition to the ones in 1.4.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I think we might be getting atmospheres for Horizons, it's just life bearing planets they've specifically ruled out. They've mentioned weather systems coming down the line, and that kinda implies an atmosphere.

They've also talked about their technology for generating surface outposts procedurally, so they'll be in for definite. Not just starports, but other kinds of settlements too (you can land anywhere you want on the surface, so why not). I suspect one of the reasons they're going the airless route first because most living spaces will be underground or in domes, that's much easier to cope with than procedurally generating sprawling open air metropolises, and it allows them to leave the ambulatory stuff for a later date.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You can't break promises if you never make any!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You kid, but that's basically it I think. :v:

We get another kind of supercruise called "orbital cruise" that'll let us navigate planets faster than standard flight. They'll probably pop up as signal sources while doing that.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Valatar posted:

Does anyone know anything at all about the upcoming planetary stuff? I want in games like Elite to just gently caress off in a random direction, find weird crap, and sell it for cash. And from what I've heard thus far, exploration in Dangerous is still too shallow to really fit that bill. But if being able to land on planets and loot crashes and stuff is being rolled into the exploration system, I am abruptly much more interested.
I think Braben knows, he's keeping schtum for the time being though.

Crashed vessels are in, there's one in the pictures Galaga Galaxian posted (which are from this week's newsletter). As for other stuff, during their EGX talks they mentioned settlements, pirate bases, starports, and ore deposits. Maybe "stashes" too, can't remember for sure. There'll also be surface combat with the mako things, with the possibility of your wingmates flying air support (and an increased opportunity for goon on goon violence I'm sure). They're making some kind of loot system too, although what that means exactly we don't know yet.

We'll find out more in the coming weeks I think. Horizons is slated for "holiday 2015", so they should be betaing it soonish.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Eonwe posted:

I might pick it up this weekend
You just missed a 40% Steam sale by a gnat's crochet. If you buy the game now, be aware you'll have to buy Horizons separately too (well you don't have to, but you won't get the planetary landing features).

If you wait for Horizons to come out and buy that instead (probably around Decemberish), it includes the base game for free.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I mean I understand that, but when you boost with FA off you still slow down.
Didn't used to, but people were sticking full pips to engines, boosting to top speed, then flipping around with FA off and sniping at chasing ships... oh and they could put full pips to weapons after the flip without slowing down too, just to add insult to injury. Because there's a "top speed", the chasing ships couldn't really catch them. It was loving retarded and nearly everyone was doing it in the end.

So now you slow down after boost wears off, even in FA off.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 4, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It doesn't really have the powerplant wiggle room for anything fancy, just stick a couple of big gently caress off lasers on it and call it done.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yes, although we don't know exactly when it'll be in. Horizons is a season pass kinda deal, so it could be this time next year before we see any multicrew stuff (not saying that'll definitely be the case, but there's the possibility).

The headline feature is planetary landings, so it's a safe bet that'll be in first.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

According to this post it's available "until shortly after launch".

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

At the start they had some quality control issues, a good proportion of the units they shipped were faulty (I got 3 knackered ones in a row).

This is personal opinion, but apart from the above, I don't think the build quality in general really reflects the price. All the ones I had were just thrown together, something you'd expect from a budget product.

They do feel/look great on the outside though, and maybe they've ironed out their issues by now. :shrug:

^^^I see I'm not the only one who thinks this way!^^^

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Romes128 posted:

I downloaded it on the xbone and went through all the training, but can't access the main game. The update should be done soon I'm guessing.
The servers are still being upgraded. They took them down at 8am, and said it could take up to 6 hours, so it shouldn't be too long now.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

LCL-Dead posted:

Xbone players are playing on the same servers as us?

Poor bastards.
They share the galaxy servers, but they won't get instanced with us.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Heh.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It's mostly the X55 we were trash talking.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Best way to find out is to use http://coriolis.io and try it out.

Off the top of my head, I don't think their base jump range is all that hot though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

GaylordButts posted:

Also I wouldn't worry overly much about it, once you do get to a Python you're likely to stay in it for a very long time.
Do they have dodgy door locks or something?

I once had a car like that.

• Locked thread