Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The servers will be getting hammered.

I'm just going to wait until tomorrow, should be a bit more sane by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Powerplay is poo poo, and anyone playing it deserves everything they get for encouraging them to iterate on that shitshow instead of ripping it out from the root and starting again.

I'm glad you're having a bad time. Glad, you hear!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I think it'd make more sense for the warrant/cargo scanners to work in supercruise.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

KakerMix posted:

First, we need comets.
I had a quick glance at the reddit AMA they did last week, and Michael Brooks agrees.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Not quite, he needs to go forward another 65.8 light seconds before he's at the centre. :v:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Can't connect to frontier servers
The intern tripped over the plug.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=190684

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

He lives in apartment 15b, habitat ring level 5.

This is clearly pilot error, he told the computer to take him home. :colbert:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Thats an in-game month right? :stare:
Yes. :v:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

:psyduck: The Vulture comes with class 1 guns, the same as the Sidewinder. Get class 3s!
gently caress that. I read in National Geographic that having class 3 lasers so close to your cockpit might cause brain cancer. Have you seen the size of those things?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Class 3 fixed pulses are 70 grand each, they won't break the bank.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Kryopsis posted:

Yeah, that's basically the reason why Vulture is totally fine with just lasers. You can always ram the Federal Drop Ship or whatever you're fighting to finish it off. The damage is surprisingly high and your shields can take the hit easily.
I tried that trick with a clipper once and just ended up smeared across his windscreen.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That's a really weird complaint to have about that video, since that's what it's supposed to be about. They said repeatedly "we're specifically not talking about gameplay things, that's a different team".

Besides, for some of us expansive is interesting.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

They were saying some of them were kilometers wide, I reckon they'll be deep enough.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It won't be in Horizons though, might be in the expansion after.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Players get MAKO like surface vehicles called SRVs. You'll use them to fight skimmers.

They mentioned combined arms, AA batteries etc. So you can fly air support in your ship while your friend attacks the surface in an SRV.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I think with the most recent changes you can get scanned at outposts now anyway.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

They've said ship type affects it, so something nondescript should get scanned a lot less than something exotic or unusual.

They specifically mentioned the Cobra as being a good smuggler because it's the galaxy's workhorse. By the same token, smuggling in an iClip is probably not a good idea.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

If you buy the base game now, you'll still have to buy Horizons later to get the new features. If you can wait, you'll get the base game free.

They very rarely miss a release date, so Horizons is six weeks away tops.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Roughly one a year, for as long as they can get away with it.

There'll be at least a couple more I think. We've got atmospheric and volcanic planets, life bearing planets and ambulatory gameplay (walking in ships, stations and on planets and all that entails) to go.

How much was the expansion pass again?

AndroidHub posted:

Ten Weeks*
Yes, my apologies.

Been Christmas shopping today, my head's clearly still in a funny place.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Are you sure you mean the Diamondback Explorer?

Even with a cargo rack in every single compartment, it gets nearly 30LY laden range with an A rated hyperdrive. The reason it's not that good as a smuggler/rares trader is because it doesn't have the internal space to pack a fuel scoop, large cargo racks and/or shields at the same time. It's literally a class 5 hyperdrive with a crane cab stuck to it.

^^^what he said^^^

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Bedshaped posted:

Anti-gravity doesn't exist in the Elite universe. So they'll either have to fudge it like when they invented supercruise and hyperspace for their multiplayer universe or else they are going to have a big challenge ahead of them for moving around in ships.

Similarly to how they're doing planetary landings, I would bet we'll see walking around on spinning stations first, in order to lay the foundation for a more complex feature later on.

Edit: I was thinking that if they added ship interiors they're probably only going to be accessible from inside a spinning station.
Standard issue spaceman boots have tiny electromagnets in the soles. Also, if you look around the cockpits, there are grab bars all over the place.

Ship interiors also have an up/down orientation because they operate in gravity half the time (i.e. when docked or landed).

I'm pretty sure the T9's cockpit violates several health and safety rules though, it needs a few banisters at least...

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Met posted:

I think they could really make this work if they added a way for stealth players to actually see how effective they are. Maybe a Signature display or some other method of telling if you can be seen by other players. I don't mind being visible if they look directly at me even if they can't see me on the sensors because the whole concept beats the hell out of "PRESS BUTTON TO BE LITERALLY INVISIBLE"
There is a signature display. To the right, just above the fuel gauge.

Stealth is complicated. Give me a minute and I'll tell you what I know.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Okay, I apologise in advance for this being a bit of a rambling mess. I've typed it up quickly as I'm just about to go to bed. :)

This is the sum of what I know about stealth (some of it may be wrong):

Firstly, a distinction it's important to make is that the heat gauge measures internal temperature, not your signature. You can have high heat and low a sigmature (because you're not radiating it away, eg when silent running), or low heat and high signature (because you're generating shitloads of heat but your radiators are getting rid of it all).

The lower your signature, the nearer an enemy has to be resolve you on their scanners and get a lock on you. This doesn't mean you're completely invisible to the scanners, just that you're a fuzzy contact on them. It does mean that gimbals, turrets, missiles and even things like the cargo/warrant scanners don't work on you though.

Silent running drops your signature almost as low as it will go, but deploying weapons always raises it a bit no matter what. I think firing thermal weapons raises your signature even more, although I'm not certain of that.

You can also drop your signature by turning off modules, achieving nearly the same effects without using silent running. It's a lot more fiddly to do this though.

With silent running on and weapons deployed, you'll be "fuzzy" at about 300m out (for small ships, for large ones it's about twice that). Better sensors increase this, with I think the max being about 500m (for small ships).

I believe there is a way to go completely invisible on scanners, but it only happens when you get the icing effect on your canopy and you don't have weapons deployed. You need to use a heat sink to do this, and it doesn't last that long. It's not really something you can use in combat.

Lastly, you're always visible in supercruise. Hyperdrives use a lot of energy, so it's impossible to hide them. Railguns generate a lot of heat when fired, you might find yourself overheating very quickly in silent running.

Isinona has done stealth builds before, check out his videos. He seems to favour multicannons. Stealth in Elite is less about sneaking up and giving a big alpha, and more about making an enemy's tracking weapons ineffective.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 21, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

frank.club posted:

It's only missing a A6 fsd which is turning into a quest to find
Founder's world stocks everything all the time (and every ship too).

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Recharging the shield drains the sys capacitor.

edit: as with all things, it's more complicated than yes/no.

If the capacitor has enough energy stored to fully replenish the shield, then no, extra pips won't affect shield recharge rate. If the capacitor is empty then more pips to sys replenishes the capacitor more quickly, which will replenish the shields more quickly.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 22, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sard posted:

Is it a bad opinion to that that shield cell banks as implemented are dumb and should be limited to one per ship, or is this a defensible thing to want?
The only way I could agree more is if you suggested they remove them altogether.

Although they did used to be a lot worse (i.e better: lower power and faster recharging) than they are now, I think that's coloured my judgement a tad.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How do you abuse thrusters using FA off?
Hit boost and wait until it kicks in, hit FA off and perform turn with the grace of an eagle, put FA back on and discover you're flying backwards at 2000m/s, hope you've got enough eng capacitor left to boost again.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 22, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Adding percentage based recharge means they could effectively tank X amount of damage, which is even more bullshit than health potions.

They need to be able to get their shields back up quicker after they're knocked down, but there are ways to do that without making them even stronger defensively than they already are.

Mike the TV posted:

Yeah, I think the best solution is that larger shield size -> sturdier shields. Also, make it so damage isn't nerfed depending on the size of your opponent. Really, the way they went about it is about as backwards as I can imagine (Shields are all basically the same or worse on big ships, but little weapons do less damage to big ships) :frontear:
Damage penalty applies only to hull, small weapons do full damage to shields even on large ships.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Getting an A rated power distributor is the first job on any ship. Some chaff is also always a good investment.

Fixed weapons can work on a vulture. Go with whatever you're most comfortable using.

edit: also, if you knock the fuel scoop's priority down, you can wring out a bit more power.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 24, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yup.

Works for internals too, which is why Founder's World is so great. You get 10% off both.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You shouldn't make a habit of exploding anyway.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I've gotta say, I like using a PS4 controller more than any HOTAS setup I've used, but the lack of buttons are getting to me. (So is :frontear: and their lovely detection of "xbox 360" controls on PC; when trying to rebind controls, half the time it's "JOY #", half the time it's the actual button, and sometimes it's both :wtc:)
The game's probably detecting it like that because that's what windows is reporting it as, you can't really blame frontier for that poo poo.

Try this out, it might help: http://ds4windows.com/

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

So we're melting down over this completely inconsequential poo poo again?

Never change goons. :laffo:

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 29, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

If you're in an iClip, you can run from anything you can't kill anyway.

I play almost exclusively in open, the stories of frequent and random murder are wildly exaggerated.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

LCL-Dead posted:

If anything it's because those stories originate in and around newbie space, where the public ganking of new players is a common thing.
Might be it.

I've reset my save about five times since release, so it's not like I'm a space Romney who's totally insulated from the newbie experience though. Maybe I'm just more wiley than your average new player.

Fair to say gankers aren't that much of a threat to someone in a clipper though, especially since most of them seem to favour pythons.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That ton is actually taken up by a physical recording of Blue Danube engraved into a 6 foot steel disc.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Haha, flawless victory.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Not just you, although they've always been a bit like that.

I think they're trying to parcel out feature reveals to build hype, but I'm just getting a bit bored with it all now.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I've been getting those sometimes lately too, I presumed it was because I'm running in SLI on a six year old computer.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I'm planning a new build after the new year anyway, just trying to decide if I want to go full retard on an i7 6700K or stick to a more sensible i5 6600K/i7 6700.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I have an EDtracker (not TrackIR) but it works similarly.

It's actually pretty intuitive. You'd be amazed at how natural it feels after a while.

• Locked thread