Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
What. I've been playing approximately a year, and I'm around 750 million in assets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Morter posted:

Is this game at all comparable to Freelancer or contain the gameplay loop of shooting dudes/mining/getting jobs to get money to get a better ship?

Yes, that's what comprises the central mechanic, actually. Almost all of E:D is spent in a cockpit, earning money and ranks by doing things that will allow you to purchase better ships to earn money and ranks faster. There's also a robust outfitting mechanic where you'll spend time picking modules to suit the focus of your ship, and a bunch of background stuff that, depending on the phase of the moon, may or may not be operating as intended.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

jaffyjaffy posted:

Might jump on this now, since with the Steam discount and the discount from the pre-order you are essentially getting the base game for free (and also getting the bonus poo poo from having it early). I also assume you don't get access to the base game until Horizons releases proper if you go that route.

Yeah, that's correct; if you pre-order Horizons now, you will not have anything to play until Horizons actually goes live, possibly some time in December. Precisely when? :iiam:

Just to clarify for others who might be wondering:

During the Steam Thanksgiving Sale happening right now, Elite is 66% off, making it $15.00 instead of $50. Will it be returning to regular price after Thanksgiving? :iiam:

The upcoming Horizons expansion will cost the same as full price of the base game, but includes the base game plus expansion.

For now, and until Dec. 1, you'll save $15 for pre-ordering Horizons, which happens to be the sale price of the base game.

So the options for those considering E:D and/or Horizons are:

a) Purchase the E:D base game now ($15), and also pre-order Horizons ($45), have a game to play right now, and the expansion in a month. Total, $60.
b) Pre-order Horizons now ($45), nothing to play now, but have everything when it goes live, in a month. Total, $45.
c) Wait until Horizons launches, purchase both the E:D base game ($50), and maybe also Horizons ($60) at full price, total $110. :suicide:

On top of that, there are minor goodies for pre-ordering Horizons - namely, access to the Cobra Mark IV, and, if you pre-order before Dec 1, access to the Midnight paint pack for all ships.

Zaardvark fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 26, 2015

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Capn Beeb posted:

I like the changes to bounty hunting.

I like them a lot. :catstare:

Also what's the trick to refreshing the bulletin board jobs so you get cargo runs?

What are the changes to bounty hunting?

You can refresh the bulletin board by exiting to the main menu, starting a new session, and then picking Solo if you were in Open, or vice versa. It puts you in a new instance and closes your old one.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Are those your feet and toes at the bottom of that gif? Is the Corvette's pilot's seat a recliner?

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

longtimelurker posted:

Ah this must be what is going on. Does solo play & open play use the same pilot?

[...]

Yes, all stats pertaining to you are retained regardless of which mode (Solo, Private, Open) you're playing in.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

ChickenMedium posted:

So how often do these community goal things come around? Making 5 million spacebucks for turning in 40 system reports was pretty helpful, especially since I am basically at the Galactic Hobo level of funds.

There are, I think, two a week?

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Cowcaster posted:

So here's the Cobra III I've found myself in: http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii/04D4D4D3D3D3D4C1b1b2424000m485e2f2o2i01.AwRj4yKA.AwhMIyIRnYg=?bn=My%20Cobra

I put it together with the idea that some soothing exploration while I watch TV would be the ticket to a relaxing time but as it turns out the profit from exploration is digustingly small compared to the way I made money to put the ship together in the first place: hanging out in high intensity resource extraction places and waiting for some stupid wanted sidewinder to pay out a 200k bounty. How should I start upgrading the various pieces to be more effective at doing that?

If you intention is to fit your Cobra for combat, I suggest A-rating your Power Distributor, Power Plant, and Thrusters in that order - in particular, get the biggest Power Distributor you can afford. With an A-rated Power Plant, you'll be able to run 2 gimballed beams in the medium slots, and either pulse or multicannons in the small slots.

You can free up a some tonnage and power by dropping the Detailed Surface Scanner, and your can downgrade the Discovery Scanner back down to Basic.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Cowcaster posted:

Cool. The PGS thread makes it sound like railguns and plasma accelerators are the cream of the crop when it comes to weaponry, just that the ammo count on the former makes it lousy for PvE hunting. It doesn't really mention anything about the latter besides "it's awesome, but has punishing heat levels" but it looks like from the video the travel time is slow as hell and not great for hunting.

The most reliable - but most boring - weapons are Pulse lasers, which probably have the highest sustained damage output over time, unless you have power to spare, in which case beams probably have the edge. PACs and Railguns are sexy but impractical and very hard to hit with, to boot.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
So, is my evaluation of the merits of the big three accurate?

Corvette: best maneuverability, shittiest jump range - best at fighting, but terrible range
Cutter: terrible maneuverability and power plant, best top speed - worst at fighting, best for trading / mining
Anaconda: middling maneuverability - middle of the road, best explorer

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

froody guy posted:

What happens to those who don't upgrade to Horizon? I assume nothing changes but they won't be able to land on planets obviously but will they be able to interact with those who have Horizon? What about ships that will be added as part of the coming season or anything else like items, ores and whatnot?

In a brilliant bit of communication, 1.5 and 2.0 are launching simultaneously. So the new stuff coming in for everyone is in 1.5, while 2.0 is Horizons. Everyone has access to every ship (except for the Horizons pre-order Cobra Mk 4), 'synthesis', and the minerals it requires, will also be for everyone, as will be multirole stuff, fighters, etc.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
FYI, for those looking to purchase an Imperial Cutter:

Its base cost is 208,969,451 CR. According to Reddit and Google, no station in Li Yong Rui territory sells it (which would mean a 15% discount), but you can get a 10% discount, both at Founder's World, or if you're me, at Parkinson Dock, in Eotienses System, which benefits from the Denton Patreus discount, for a final cost of 188,072,505 CR.

dvorak posted:

Is the ASP still the best all around general use, exploration and loving around ship? I Mean I can afford a type 7, but I've always liked to stay with mid-tier ships.

The Asp Explorer is the best multirole ship at its price range (7M). After the Asp, there's the Clipper (23M) and the Python (57M)

Zaardvark fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 17, 2015

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
So I went ahead and Detailed Surface Scanned every rock, moon, planet and star in our newest system, LHS 512.

My report:

There are two ringed planets (both Class gas giants, LHS 512 A5, and LHS 512 B3). Both are poo poo for mining (depleted icy and depleted rocky / icy, respectively).

Almost every other solid body in the system, planet or moon, is also depleted and icy. The one exception is the planet closest to the primary, LHS 512 A1, which is deleted high metal content, but cannot be landed on. There are no surface outposts.

LHS 512 has two stars. The primary is Class M, scoopable. The other is a Class L brown dwarf, and not scoopable. There are asteroid belts around each star, both of which are also depleted.

LHS 512 has two Outposts, Coulomb Platform, orbiting LHS 512 A2, and Halley Prospect, around LHS 512 A3. Both are tiny, and notably, only Coulomb has a commodity market and Outfitting, while only Halley Prospect offers Repairs. Both are Extraction / Refinery economies.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Bushiz posted:

That had to cost a shitload but putting an advertisement for a spacegame in front of every nerd in the western world when they are at peak space nostalgia is probably the best investment they could have possibly made.

e: does anyone have a primo bugfuck crazy anaconda exploration fit? I'm looking for something that's completely self sustaining and set up for planetary exploration for that sweet, sweet FSD booster.

Here's my Exploraconda. I sacrificed a little jump range so I could hold some space buggies.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/anaconda/04A5D6A5D5A8D5C----------------B33cv2----f4242f2i.Iw18ZlA=.Aw18ZlA=?bn=Exploraconda

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Ciaphas posted:

This reminds me, where do you see whether a system is Depleted, Pristine, or somewhere in the middle? I couldn't see anything on either the galaxy or system map. Does it vary from belt to belt/planet to planet in a system, or is it set per system?

To see the abundance of minerals (Depleted, Pristine, Common, and, uh, one I'm forgetting), someone has to have scanned the body in question with a Detailed Surface Scanner. If the only scan has been the Basic Discovery honk, all you get is the type, but not the abundance, of resources.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Where is a good place to get Avril Lavigne to like you enough to get hammers?

Also, are hammers worth it over rails?

I've been grinding up merits at the Othime system by blowing up other faction ships. It's close to 63 G. Capricorni, and it's an anarchy system, so there's no fine or bounties for murder.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

DrProsek posted:

I like space flying games and noticed Elite Dangerous: Horizons in the steam store. The stuff in the OP looks pretty cool and it sounds like the game has a lot of what I'm looking for in a space flying game.

Problem is, I much rather prefer single player games. I heard while ED:H is more multiplayer focused, it does have solo play (I've heard you have to be online for it but that's fine by me). Is the game worth it for the single player alone?

You can pick the mode you play in Open, Private, or Solo - Private Mode means you'll only encounter other players who are in the same Private Group as you are (and we do have a Goon Group) - the other two are exactly what you'd expect. The difference in play between the three modes is extremely minimal - even in Open Mode, you will only rarely see other players (unless you arrange to gather together), once you get out of the core systems where new players all start.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Hellburger99 posted:

I've never been great at these games, but I've really been feeling the itch for a modern TIE Fighter and exploring space seems cool. How much of a handicap will I be at if I grab the base game at $14 instead of getting Horizons? $14 is a much safer investment on something I might wind up sucking at and uninstalling after a week, but if it's all going to be outdated and unplayable anyway, I'll just save up and maybe grab Horizons during the next sale.

I'll echo the post above, get the base game now, and get the expansion later if you want it. At present, Horizons adds only planetary landings to the game (which is only a very small portion of the stuff you'll typically be doing in-game), but will eventually comprise all season 2 content. I wouldn't worry too much about not being competitive compared to other players, the nature of the game is that you will always be taking things at your own pace, and will typically not see others much, if at all.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Ok did my first half assed robigo smuggle run and was able to do like 3 deliveries before the popos got a scan on me. Still made like 11 million out of it. Would A rank thrusters help in this cases? It looked like I just got hosed by constant interdictions every 5 seconds.

Dongattack posted:

Haha, smuggling is fun if a bit simplistic. Farting around with illicit cargo in my decked out Cobra when system authority nerds howl "SUBMIT TO MANDATORY INTERDICTION AND SCAN CRIMINAL SCUM" furiously masturbate my flight-stick until i drop the interdiction while mentally shrieking back "YOU AINT TOUCHING THESE COMBATSTIMS FUZZ CUNTS" and i just imagine them flaccidly gyrating in space still while i crash onto my landing pad with FA off as my ship apocalyptically overheats and i scramble to drop off my illegal poo poo.

Man.

gently caress the rozzers lol

Next time, try these next-level PRO 360 smuggle tactics:

Scrape pursuers off on a star:

Dive as close to star as you can, then point your butt straight at the star, with your nose pointing out. Wait for pursuers to fly right into the sun. Why does this work? To initiate an interdiction, the pursuer must be behind his target. What is also directly behind you? A star.

Silent Runnings, mon:

Nearing an Orbis station with your contraband, only to find spacecops lingering around the door? Get approximately lined up with the entry slot, pop chaff if you've got it, and toggle Silent Running Mode (default keybind is DEL). Approach steadily. Do not request docking until you are less than 5 km from the door. Glide silently in. Don't forget to turn Silent Running back off. Going cold drastically reduces the range at which spacecops will notice and thus scan you.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
One load of 20 Personal Gifts to Clauss in Santa Muerte: 10,000,000 Cr.

Hooray! I am terribly lazy.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Hellburger99 posted:

I want to kiss whoever recommended "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" for Raido Skvortsov. This station is extremely my thing.

In other news, I'm slowly learning how to dogfight, or at least how to vulture up some bounties form the cop npcs. I bought the FSD upgrade and the fuel scoop and was about to head out to Diamond Frog space when I got a bounty to kill 15 pirates for 200k. Maybe that's small change, but it seems like a good deal, and should hopefully give me some decent combat experience.

Edit: I keep reading rumors of this free ship for new players. Is that something I should wait for, or should I just buy myself a new ship? Is there a limit on the number of ships I can buy? And any recommendations for a decent jack-of-all-trades ship that's an upgrade on the sidewinder?

New players will receive a spacecraft whose value is determined by the Tier achieved in the CG - I believe we achieved the Viper tier. It's intended for new players, specifically those who have played between 3-10 hours. No word on how it's being delivered. It's a good deal for starting players, but something you could probably earn for your self with a modest amount of space missions under your belt.

Literally any ship is an upgrade over the Sidewinder, since that's the free starter ship. Upgrades from there:

Fighting:

Eagle MkII 44,800 Cr

Trading, minimal fighting:

Hauler 52, 720 Cr

Jack-of-all-trades:

Adder 87,808

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Flavor. They don't do anything as far as I've ever been able to find.

There used to be (and still might be, though I don't see them anymore) missions to disrupt both Wedding and Funeral convoys. You need a bunch of pals and some serious firepower to tackle those.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Hellburger99 posted:

While hanging around the nav point waiting for pirates to wander in for my bounty, a master level criminal NPC jumped in and I was lucky enough to be part of the 8+ ship dogpile that blasted him into atoms and netted me a cool 100k bounty. Decided to splurg and get a Cobra MKIII with the bonus. Here's hoping it isn't a total load. Trying to figure out what to trick it out with. Are ammo-based guns worth it or should I stick to lasers?

The Cobra's good multirole ship. A good and boring rule of thumb is: the best weapon is almost always a pulse laser. Cannons do good damage to hulls, and they're cool and cheap in energy terms, but they're terrible against shields. If you're feeling fancy, you may consider making your secondary weapons multicannons, with the intention of wrecking your target's hull after you've brought down their shields with pulse lasers.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

The Locator posted:

One thing I don't really see addressed anywhere, is starting factions - I see that there are three main groups/alliances, but nothing about choosing one when starting out. Is this something I even need to worry about?

Exploration is really interesting to me (I did a lot of that in a stealthy ship in Eve), but from what I've read you need to get something like 15k ly out to do that, how hard/time consuming is that and what sort of a ship do I need to aim for to do it?

Cheers!

So there are different layers of factions. The big three are very abstract, and mainly exist as a mechanism to gate access to faction-specific ships. As posts above have said, don't worry about grinding up rep with those, until you have enough cash to purchase the big, expensive faction ships. On top of that, the factions aren't mutually exclusive - you can top up your rank with all of them simultaneously, so it's not like you need to pick and choose,

As for exploring, you can scan any system you have not personally visited, and still collect some data. Getting several thousand ly out is only necessary if you want to start discovering unvisited systems (and there's a modest, flat bonus for selling the scan data of previously undiscovered bodies). The Asp Explorer or Diamondback Explorer are both excellent ships to explore in. On a lower budget, the Adder is also very capable.

A dedicated explorer will want to optimise for low weight and high jump range, sometimes foregoing shields, and you'll definitely want the full scanning suite - Detailed Surface Scanner, Advanced Discovery Scanner, D-rated modules (which are the lightest variety), and an A-rated Frame Shift Drive. The galaxy is approximately 50,000 ly wide, with Sag A*, the supermassive black hole at the center, 25,000 ly away.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

spacetoaster posted:

Ok, I've read over the intro post and I want to go ahead and jump into this game.

I see that there is a season pass where I get everything up to now, and everything that will come out in the future. Is that what you guys have done? I can't imagine just buying expansions for however long they'll be doing them.

I think you're referring to the Lifetime Expansion Pass, which was available pre-launch, and then briefly available again for a short window after launch (and I don't know if it's available now). Personally, I bought the base game, and then Horizons.

$20 (current Steam winter sale price) is a good price for the base game. You can buy / not buy Horizons later / never as you see fit.

I suspect it'll be perfectly fine to puchase / not purchase each new season's content as it becomes available (and Frontier has sort of implied each 'season' will correspond to a year). Horizons adds stuff to the base game, but it doesn't gate access to anything that isn't exclusive to Horizons itself. There are no levels or raids or anything like that, so it's not like World of Warcraft, where you couldn't see level 70 content without Burning Crusade, for example. So, just buy an expansion if you want the things in that expansion. i.e., driving a buggy around on the surface of a moon.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Alright so I took a surface mission to kill some skimmer things, and even though they were tagged as wanted criminals I somehow ended up getting a bounty on myself of 550 credits or so. How do I get rid of this? It would be pretty annoying to not be able to dock anywhere in this system because of this (I have no idea what I even did wrong).

Being Wanted means you now have a bounty with the local authorities. If police scan you, they will attempt to kill you. Bounty hunters (both player and NPC varieties) will also attempt to kill you for that bounty. Active bounties go away in two ways:

1) You don't do anything to increase that specific bounty, and it goes 'dormant' in a week's time, which means it won't show up for police or bounty hunters until you break the law again
2) You die (someone kills you, or you crash into a space station or something)

Dying only erases your active bounties. Dormant bounties persist through death.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Barreft posted:

I'm using a mouse and keyboard, maybe that's it? I try to move forward even a little bit and it has me slamming into a tower or wall as I'm trying to square a landing. Everything just seems to move way too fast for such a small square to land in.

e: But please tell me where to buy this Docking thing, as I want to play this game and I'll only get better once I get some time in but docking is stopping me from even trying.

Here's a list of stations that sell the Standard Docking Computer, in order of distance from Goat:

http://ed-td.space/en/30/Find+Outfitting/system/288/outfitting/432

It's a pretty common component, though, so you can just make a habit of checking the outfitting at any station you visit.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

CountingWizard posted:

I've just had that stupid word rolling around in my head all week. I think it was because I was thinking about how stupid the name Reader's Digest is and how society views it now that it has lost the prestige of being the go-to place for launching a career as a writer.

Coincidentally, I was in a doctor's office today, with nothing to read but Hello! magazines and Reader's Digest 'sample copies', which are like condensed (!) versions of Reader's Digest. It occurs to me that the only time I even remember Reader's Digest exists is when I'm seeing a doctor, which is, like, once every couple of years. How do they stay in business?

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Where is a good outfitter near 63 G. Capricorni?

The closest one is Xihe system, which has most of the small and medium-sized fittings, and a lot of the large ones. The closest system with a 15% discount from Li Yong Rui is LHS 20, which also has a decent selection.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Akion posted:

Hah. I loving knew they'd do some poo poo like this.

Rockstar school of fun-hating.

Fortunately, for long-maul monies, there are several systems similar to Robigo.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
It doesn't seem likely for any halfway competent pilot, but I have been whacked by those arms while coming in for a landing.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
I know aliens are old news now, but I took a bunch of pretty pictures, and by God, you will look at them:

Unrelated: Spaph is terrible at parking:

That's the Artefact blurring my camera:

Not related, big bada boom:

Touching down on Merope 5c, after struggling with navigating via coordinates:

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
I may be a little scarce this weekend.

Oh XCOM, never change. :rolldice:

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

RattiRatto posted:

Just got the base game off steam. If i like i might upgrade to the new expansion, hopefully i'm not missing too much.
Thanks for the useful guides OP

To be frank, the only things Horizons offers at the moment is planetary landings and driving around on the surface, which is a neat in the short term, but more of a novelty without compelling hooks. Now Horizons also covers all of 'season 2''s content, much of which is not yet implemented. For someone on the fence about Horizons, I'd advise them to wait and see what's in it, and only get it now if you really want to land and drive around on mostly bare, rocky plains.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

DeadGame posted:

Is there a tool that keeps Inara automatically in sync? Or is everyone manually entering their wallet balances and stats.

Folks are entering their stats manually. I don't think Frontier has any sort of API for third-party apps.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

H13 posted:

Goddamn. The grind to go from a 5 million ship to a 50 million is pretty drat brutal if you're doing Res hunting.

The most I get from ships tends to be around 250k per ship, but that's only if I'm lucky and Clippers spawn. Is there any way to make more money doing Res hunting or is that about right?

...I want to make 14.4 million from a single run of anything!

You can make that sort of money with long-range hauling / long-range smuggling, where each mission from, for example, Robigo, will net you a couple million spacebucks. So you pack in as many as you can fit, and a good run will net you 20 million in an hour.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

ZeusCannon posted:

I'm probably a bad person for saying this but I like the way the fed ships look. Is saving up for an assault ship a really dumb idea?

I like the flying-brick aesthetic of the Federal ships, too. Brutal and utilitarian. The FAS is a great ship, and well worth the money. It's generally considered a step up from the Vulture as a dogfighter. The Federal Gunship and Dropship are a bit lacklustre, however, and best avoided.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
I'll just chime in here with Anaconda vs. Corvette - for an all-round ship that's intended to fight and trade in human space, the Python is much better than the Anaconda. I ground my way up to the Anaconda, and found the only stand-out thing it's good for is exploration (and even modest ships like the DBE and Adder are at least 90% as good as the Anaconda for that stuff). The Corvette, on the other hand, is great for fighting and trading simultaneously (i.e. without needing to completely refit your ship), and a very good ship for cruising around the bubble, doing whatever strikes your fancy.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

RattiRatto posted:

Is mining any good?
If yes, what ship/ how it works? I have seen only mining lasers and refineries, missing anything?

In addition to mining lasers and refineries, you're going to want to consider both prospector drones and collector drones. Firing a prospector drone into an asteroid will tell you the composition of the rock in question, allowing you to mine only the good rocks, and it will also increase yields from that rock fourfold. Collector drones will fly around, picking up asteroid chunks and delivering them to your cargo hold, because steering your ship around to scoop up fragments manually (the way it used to be in the bad old days) is for suckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

nippythefish posted:

I've never owned a limpet and don't even know how they work. 68k profit in mining from like a year and two months ago. I feel old.

Limpets are essentially a type of ammunition that sits in your cargo hold, and is consumed by a couple of type of Limpet Controller modules. They generally have a limited lifespan, and do their thing autonomously. Limpets are module-agnostic.

Collector Limpet Controller: Shoots out limpets, which fly around and grab asteroid fragments after you've lasered them off an asteroid. Speeds up rock collection immeasurably.
Prospector Limpet Controller: Shoots a limpet at an asteroid, which will provide you with a mineral composition survey of that particular rock. Also quadruples yields from that rock.
Hatch Breaker Limpet Controller: Shoots out limpets that try to grab on to an enemy ship (whose shields are down), and dump stuff from his cargo hold into space. Necessary for the career pirate, as blowing up ships tends to blow up their cargo, too.
Fuel Transfer Limpet Controller: Each limpet ferries one ton of fuel from your ship to a target ship. The Fuel Rats and Fuel Frogs make use of these.

When you install a Limpet module, you also assign it's function to your firegroups, like a weapon.

• Locked thread