Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
Whether you want to bother with limpets or not is up to you. I'm just saying, if mining was boring, but something you still want to do, they will definitely make it less tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
People explore for different reasons, I guess. When I first got the bug, I wanted to make a bunch of first discoveries, but that's trivial once you're a couple thousand Ly out of the bubble. Subsequent voyages have been to visit specific things, like Sag A and the black hole at Maia, or just a change of pace from mining / trading / bounty hunting.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

MoraleHazard posted:

Is there a way to check on what you've scanned without docking?

As far as I'm aware, no.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

tooterfish posted:

Personally, I used FreePIE to do voice commands. Worked great, although to be honest I found it more of a novelty than anything. It didn't really improve my game, and in some cases hindered it (doing power management in combat by screaming at your monitor gets old fast), so I eventually stopped using it.

On the topic of auxilliary controls, I came to the same conclusion about Power Grid: free software that will allow you to set up an external tablet / phone / whatever as a touch-screen button panel (think Star Trek). The novelty wore off fast, and now I don't bother.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Tippis posted:

Just to be inconsistent (or consistently contrarian :D), I'd love a way to control the system (or even star) map from a tablet companion app. If nothing else to (mostly) eliminate the loading times.

Speaking of which, why is the loading time for the system map so atrocious?

You may want to check out Power Grid, then. It's actually not bad, but not something I personally felt like using once the novelty wore off - you can configure your own set of buttons and things, and users have made a bunch of free themes for various games (I used the Mechwarrior and Elite Dangerous ones, for the most part, with my own tweaks). I was able to stuff the entire 'Request Landing' procedure into a single button-press, for example.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Hamelekim posted:

I such at combat which depresses me. Lack of money and poor load out are probably the main issue. Viper IV seems alright otherwise. I need a good 30ly Explorer ship under 600k to make some money exploring.

You can scrape together a substantial nest egg by spending some time bounty hunting in the company of some of our more established frogs. Just ask around in Discord and someone can help you out.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

SplitSoul posted:

Okay, so it's impossible unless you're already suitably spacerich. That sucks.

Nah, it's not too hard. You can easily make 5 million or more even in a Cobra fitted for smuggling. The Asp is probably ideal for Robigo runs, and you can make several million more per run than the Cobra..

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
Cross-posting my own post from the PGS thread:

quote:

For those of you doing the Drugs to Skvortsov CG, here's a loop that's profitable in both directions (as long as supplies last):

63 G. Capricorni, Skvortov

Buy Tea around 1521
Sell Narcotics around 11642

Go to

SRS 2543, Dirac Terminal (20.97 LY, a few jumps, depending on your drive)

Sell Tea around 1789
Buy Narcotics around 9905

There's a chance Dirac will not have enough Narcotics to fill your hold (if your hold is larger than 100 tons), fill the rest of your hold with either Progenitor Cells or Reactive Armor, both of which should still be profitable.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
Hm, for some reason I haven't been able to land on airless planets. I can get close, but the detailed surface never draws in, and if I continue to fly close, I get the 'exclusion zone' warning. Has anyone experienced the same?

*edit* Huh, I was being stupid. I was running the regular client instead of the Horizons client. :iamafag:

Zaardvark fucked around with this message at 09:57 on May 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
There's a follow-up CG, also at Skvortsov. The launcher is dumb, and mentions it in two seperate articles. One says is starts on May 26, the other says it ends on May 26.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/galnet/uid/5747284b9657ba83162ffc95

(Deliver water purifiers, HE suits, and coffee to Skvortsov)

Also, just FYI, I am awesome, and personally delivered over 5 kiltons of Narcotics for the previous CG (and got 3 million spacebucks for finishing in the top 10%).

Zaardvark fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 27, 2016

• Locked thread