Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Mr Darcy posted:

That's a cavalier thing to say.

Look at mr fancy loving education.

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Have they said when the arena thing is coming out? I haven't played ED in a month or two but am looking forward to trying that.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

frank.club posted:

You can play it right now after you download it from the launcher

is it in a beta thing though or actually live on the game?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Quick question; the loyalty discount means the season 2 expansion is $45. Does that still apply? When does the offer expire?

I don't know if you still can but you used to be able to get it even cheaper by changing currencies.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
So i outfitted my imperial clipper as that mining build and bumbled over to the nearest metallic ring and figured out how to do prospecting limpet and other limpets and laser the rocks.

But for like 30 minutes of work i got like 150k credits of stuff.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Shine posted:

Where were you mining? Pristine rings give the best yield (check the planet on the system map. Frey and Njikan are two popular systems), and among those you want to seek PPPGO (Painite, Platinum, Palladium, Gold, Osmium, in order of descending value) and ignore/discard the other stuff you find. Prioritizing those and mining in pristine reserves, you should be able to stuff about $2,000,000 of rocks into a Clipper, with potentially much higher profits if you turn in at a base that spits out lots of mining missions (mostly for painite and platinum, it seems).

the first random 'metal ring' planet i found. I just hoovered up everything i found, it was the first time i ever did mining. I'll find a pristine one and be more discriminating.

fake edit:

Also drat a 5m credit smuggling missions would be nice

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

KakerMix posted:

The Federal Assault ship is a very good low-number-of-targets ship, it's maneuverability is insane and the speed at which it can change direction with just maneuvering thrusters is quite incredible. You can engage a target and blast the poo poo out of it before it even has time to react. If it does react just twirl around it as it fruitlessly tries to get a bead on you.
Incidentally it also makes a very good civilian killer :v:

Do you know what fed rank you need to be to get it?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I spent an hour looking for a pristine/mettalic world to mine and no luck

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Is there any trick to finding a pristine/metallic ring planet.

I found the name of one from a google search but its hundreds of LY away and it sometimes takes a whole minute to jump from one place to another because of some lag poo poo.

I want to like mining :/

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I havent played Elite since summer.

New poo poo's coming out so i need more space money for it

what's the best way to get more space money?

I've got an A spec fer de lance (:smug: i just saw about the new power plant :smug:) and an imperial clipper set up for trading i think.

I tried to play a month or so ago and there was some thing where you travelled really far delivering cargo and made big bucks, is that still a thing?

I was gonna do that but it was taking like a minute or more to do hyperjumps so i lost interest.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 6, 2015

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

tofes posted:

Today I learned you lose unclaimed bounties when your ship gets blown up

I had a 250k bounty from like the summer, and decided to grief in eravate ramming new folks to death in the station in my american flag viper. Forgot about the bounty and got blown up :(

Question: can you still make lots of money fast doing RES sites or combat zones or whatever if you have the powerplay faction bonus thing, or did the nerf to power plant kills poo poo that up?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
can someone bottom line the money/time for the Rorigo thing?

and what's the best ship/setup for it?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I got sorted out for rodigo and made about 25m in 2 hours. Used an asp with 72 cargo space and the rest devoted to fuel tanks, could make the run out there skimming like 3 or 4 stars for fuel. Made about 20m yesterday but it took longer since it was my first time, and i had to buy and outfit the asp and figure out how to safely skim stars.

If you want to really cheese rodigo it looks like you can stock up on an unlimited number of missions by jettisoning your cargo inside the hangar to keep freeing up space to claim new missions.

Then, when you get back to civilized space, can just source all the slaves and other stuff at stations there and deliver them.

The biggest mission i got was almost 6m for 14 or 15 slaves, so theoretically you could run a long jump/lots of fuel ship to get out there, as long as you had about 20 cargo slots to make all the missions claimable.

Do that for an hour or so, grabbing every mission, then zoom back to populated space and spend a bunch of time buying the goods and delivering them.

I jettisoned some cobalt to make room for one more slave mission and it wasnt a problem to just buy some when i got back to pop space.

Anyway im happy! Got like 45m more money, will probably do another 2 hour thing before horizons comes out, will give me a nice cushion for the new power plant for my FDL and to mess around with different guns.

Is it still good money to rank up in avril lavigne faction and shoot space mans at the RES things?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Alright, 3 evenings of robigo runs, it good.

Got my FDL and my stripped out clipper from the 'no rank' event, a long jumper diamondback explorer, this 20m-ish asp for robigo, the other cool looking imperial fighter ship thing, from when i played over the summer, and now 115m space money thanks to robigo.

Ready for horizons!

FDL with the +5 power from the bigger reactor is going to be a beast I think.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Naturally Selected posted:

So if I have about 100M right now, is it worthwhile to poo poo-fit a python or something to run robigo or other long-range trading missions, or am I better off sticking with the ASP?

Also, what's it cost for a non-shitfit FDL/Python?

60 or 70m i think to fit out a good FDL, not sure on python.

I used the link in the OP to max fit a FDL with the new bigger power plant and the super plasma gun and stuff and it came to like 96m i think

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Anyone know what time Horizons goes live?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Ok steam is downloading an 8gb thing, is this gonna be everything, or will i need to do another DL through their launcher for horizons?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Beta havers,

What do you do to find sentry bots to kill for ground missions? Are they only at the cities?

Cities attack me when I shoot their bots.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
So how do you find poo poo on the ground to fight?

I did a mission for like 450k space gold where i had to destroy a generator in a settlement, i just drove up and shot it.

I have a number of missions to kill sentry bots, do they spawn out 'in the wild' or only around cities, and do i need to like take out the generator to take down the turrets then shoot all the bots, or what?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I spent about a half hour driving around Mercury looking for a life pod but couldnt find it.

I did come across a single skimmer drone robot thing that was wanted, so I killed it. It was guarding a small restricted area containing a single canister of coffee. Mine now, robot.

Also i got a federal assault ship and A-specced it to use to fight stuff on the ground. I put c3 beam gimbals on it thinking i could just hover and zap down from the bottom hardpoint, but i realized it will be cooler with a big railgun or cannon to snipe turrets from way off.

Also FDL might be fun with the big huge plasma gun or the huge cannon for doing the same.

Any news on fed rank progress? I got up to one rank below ensign (the rank needed for the federal gunship) before Horizons came out, and didnt see anymore promo missions, now it appears to be pegged at 0% progress.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Bad review spam on steam is probably the star citizen community being its charming self.

So i figured out a bunch of the ground missions.

If you want to fight stuff on the surface take surface missions with names like 'free data for all' and 'opening the gate,'

They make you go to a specific settlement somewhere and in the first case, inflitrate a hostile settlement and scan a thing, and in the second case destroy a generator of a specific type.

You can gently caress the base up from your ship then land and go do the objective on the scan ones, or bombard the generator to death from above in the 'open the gates' one.

Restricted or hostile settlements will aggro on you if you go into their airspace/their zone on the ground, and if you're close enough will sometimes spawn a bunch of the drones as well, so you can stack some of the kill drones missions.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 17, 2015

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Icedude posted:

I'm really liking the designs of some of the settlements. Ran across one last night that had evidently been built in a crater and had a massive circular structure all around the rim. The landing pads were on top of the 'wall', and leaving in an SRV put you inside the circle, and there was a nifty giant exit tunnel/ramp up and out through the wall :allears:

Shame it's a pain in the rear end to find anomalies on planets. "Find the blue circle" sounds good and all, but when said circle is about 10 miles across and the anomalies tend to be too small to be seen from the air it's a real pain to track them down.

For 'find the escape pods' it seems like you can just drive around for a while and follow the hotter/colder sonar thing.

When your sonar deal pings escape pods it makes a different sound, like you can hear a beacon.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Can someone talk me through the Federal Gunship vs Federal Assault Ship?

I have a FAS and i just got the rank that lets me buy the gunship. I see it has more guns, is it way better?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Dongattack posted:

Is there a trick to understanding where the docking port is on those giant cube stations? I see there are some arrows, but i can't figure out how to read it.

First try and figure out which face is the one rotating, like the 'base' of the station. If you can see that, just spinning around like a record, you know the slot is on the opposite end.

If you can't see the 'base' of the station, just remember that the mail slot side always spins counterclockwise, so figure out which direction the station is rotating, and head toward the end that is rotating counterclockwise.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Right so i skipped 3475 posts.

Have they said when the next new stuff is coming out? What to do to prepare for it?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I got an email that the new update is out.

What do you do for it, is it super grindy, need :effort: post.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Section Z posted:

No, see, a Cobra MKIV hounding you Milspec ship like the terminator until you desperately escape into a station as it takes the combined might of the station guns and security forces to kill it just means you need to raise your skill ceiling, stop mindlessly grinding, and saying anything otherwise just means you are a salty.

Is this a thing? How bad did they gently caress up elite dangerous?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Did they do the update where you can have your ships moved from one place to another yet?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

tooterfish posted:

October.

There's a raging "but my immersion!" argument going on right now over whether it should be instant or not.

It should be instant yes.

ETA where is this argument going on?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Xeremides posted:

26.51%: Transfer should take at least as long as it would take manually.

These motherfuckers are crazy.

Ya i have been posting in their thread, i think some of them have the worst kind of austism.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

orcane posted:

Another case study for why listening to a video game community can be a really stupid loving idea. What is wrong with people...

Space ship games interact with autism and other mental problems in special ways.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

magic mountain posted:

nice meltdown gif

it really is

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
In light of the controversy on the elite dangerous forums concerning the speed at which ships should be able to be transferred between different places I would like to request that that mods please change the name of this thread to Elite Dangerous: Horizons - Gonna Die Autistic on the Lunar Road.

Also lowtax if you are reading this please make a new world filter that replaces "immersion" with "autism."

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The ship transfer thing seems like it will make the game a lot more playable, anyone know when in october its meant to come out?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Gonkish posted:

Ship transfers equals grognards bitching about fun being had and how they won't stand for it. I don't know that I have ever seen so much vitriol over a completely optional feature in a game since like... probably something from WoW's heyday.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons - Gonna Die Autistic on the Lunar Road

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

YellerBill posted:

70% of the playerbase on the E:D forums are too stupid to value their own time. I'm not sure if that's a majority of the game's active playerbase or not, and it's not like anything would change if it wasn't because :frontear: only listens to the forums.

Have you ever played Elite: Dangerous?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Elite Dangerous - Even the Stars are on the Spectrum

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Did they ever settle on how much time/money has to be wasted for the ship transfers thing?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Its like 30 slaps in the face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
A ship gets what, like 20ly per jump?

So a 'travel 20,000 light year' mission really just means "watch the jump animation 100 times and do the fuel scooping mini game x times."

I got burnt out on this game after playing it for two or three weeks and have never managed to get excited about it again :(

• Locked thread