Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I just started playing this again after buying it a year or so ago, playing for 8-10 hours, then never starting it again.

I'm having fun space trucking... what's a good upgrade from the Sidewinder? I was thinking I could save up the cash for a Cobra MkIII. Are there ways of earning some easy cash that are more appropriate for a Sidewinder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Gort posted:

If you want to just truck your way to riches, this is a ship progression you could use, with cargo capacity in brackets:

Sidewinder (10 tons)
Eagle (14 tons)
Hauler (20 tons)
Adder (24 tons)
Cobra Mk3 (44 tons)
Type 6 (104 tons)
Asp Explorer (120 tons)
Type 7 (216 tons)
Python (284 tons)
Type 9 (500 tons)
Imperial Cutter (728 tons)

Feel free to skip over ships if you have the money, just remember you'll need money for rebuys and to outfit the ship. Data was from here.

This is good stuff.

I guess I was thinking about the Cobra because it seems a bit more multi-purpose? I like trucking around but would also like to be able to shoot people here and there. I was just thinking the Sidewinder seems pretty limited initially; maybe I should kit it out more and use that to earn cash doing bounty hunting?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Thanks for the cobra advice everyone. I've already got 360k or so so I'll probably do some more missions until I can grab a cobra with a few reasonable upgrades. I find this game really chill and fun so planning the next big purchase is sorta fun.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Oscar Mayer Weinermobile: 3300

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Ended up cruising to li yong space in my sidey and decided to buy a viper mk4 instead of the cobra.... A few hours later and I'm 10m richer from bounty hunting.

I know she doesn't have have the capacity or speed/ agility as the cobra but I love my chunky viper4 daughter.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i went to a hires site and i'm sure i was doing something wrong but i was locking onto targets enemies the cops were shooting at - what's supposed to happen next if they're wanted? does a notification pop up or anything?

the game will make a gear grinding sound while you're "scanning" the target, then after a couple seconds the screen on the bottom left will update with info on the target, including their wanted status. AFTER you see it says wanted, then start shooting. do this for an hour or so and enjoy a few million credits.

just be sure the scan says WANTED, and be sure you don't accidentally switch targets and shoot an innocent bystander, because the cops will end you with great prejudice because killing innocents is their job and they're very protective of it

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Blind Rasputin posted:

I literally caught up on cleaning and podcasts while making a billion credits in this game. Imho it is working as intended.

as someone who is just getting to the 15m credit mark and who needs to clean the house, how can I do this?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
can someone explain how to take cool screenshots in this game? I've gotten as far as "external camera" which just rotates between views no one would want to see

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I just got coprammed again boosting away from a station in a straight line

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I made my first 10m in a viper mk4 in high RES's and only had to rebuy a couple times from shooting too early. Just shoot ships the cops are already after; I don't see how a conda would struggle.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’m like imagining someone dying from this in horrible cyberpunk fashion and just lol

Friendship drive charging...

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i'm relatively new to elite. i have plenty of credits but haven't done any engineering yet... would it be a waste of time starting down the engineering path now vs. waiting until the patch?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
that's sort of what i figured. i was thinking i may at least go see felicity farseer and upgrade my FSD

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
elite reminds me of playing Escape Velocity on mac for hours on end

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
ships definitely have different physics models. some are more like airplanes, some are more newtonian. it makes for fun pew-pew spaceship shooting. the planet situation you mentioned may be because the planet was higher gravity... your ship uses the vertical thrusters to hover above the surface, so when you thrust down on high-grav planets you lose all vertical thrust and just fall. it helps to use the vertical thrusters under boost to take off.

as for supercruise, you're going too fast when you approach your destination. the trick is you can go full-throttle towards your destination, then before the timer reaches 0:07, throttle back to 75% (the middle of the blue zone). then you'll approach your destination and not overshoot. (though "going too fast and overshooting then looping back from the other side" is a fun way to avoid npc interdictions)

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 25, 2018

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

:hfive:

that game was like a 2d elite. good times.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
a good cockpit view discussion and no mention of the aspiex?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
learn to fly a t7 through the slot under boost then instead of aiming for the bottom of the slot do the opposite ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Eldragon posted:

You would be best served to get on the diamond frogs discord and lurk in the newbie help channel. This game is incredibly obtuse and asking questions will save you a lot of time and rage.

yeah, as a recent newbie, the DF group is great

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I wish that boost actually just turned you into paste and then ripped your ship apart and you had to rebuy

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i cruised into a combat zone the other night and found a capital ship zapping a bunch of people

it's pretty funny you can basically go land on top of the cap ship and just watch the fight

probably getting pretty warm on this ship right about now:

also felicity farseer lives in the total recall version of mars, i just thought it looked cool:

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Guavatin posted:

Can anyone recommend a good YT channel for the basics of this game? Also I have the choice for using a 360 controller or keyboard. Is the controller viable?

use a controller and a keyboard, it's good

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
sidewinder: For twelve years, you have been asking, who is John Galt. This is John Galt speaking.

me, deploying hardpoints: cool, welcome to earth space

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I finally bought an fetal alcohol ship last night, and lol of lols it was a terrific time just strafing around npcs while melting / punching holes in their ship.

They couldn't even get their nose pointed at me. It's like I was dogfighting myself from two months ago.

What I'm saying is everyone buy an FAS ASAP

e: I've had a vulture for awhile but it's never felt like I could totally avoid my opponent while just continually easy mode raining hellfire on him/her, then again I'm also stupid and bad at games so

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 5, 2018

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
the type 7 has a role, it's "carry a bunch of space widgets around slowly and with little to no defense"

it's just that role isn't very fun most times, which is why the t7 is the cheapest large ship.

it's THE space truck for the space trucking game. you can truck stuff back and forth between relatively safe environments and make money, and it's good at that.

my t7 is still sitting at parutis with all the paint stripped off from running bulk passengers to medb

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Behotti posted:

So what is the new money making gig since passenger running to Medb has gotten nerfed?

i haven't been out to parutis to check since the change, but does anyone know how bad the nerf was?

prior to the nerf i was pulling about 100m per trip with a fully loaded t7; even if they cut the rewards by 50%, 50m for 15-30 minutes of board flipping and 40 minutes of supercruise isn't bad

then again i work from home and used the supercruise time for housework/whatever, probably not a fun time to do if you just play for a couple hours here and there

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
well i guess if they got rid of the bulk passenger missions entirely then that's a hell of a nerf

i figured they just made them pay less

oh well!

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I play with an Xbox controller, and even though I really want a reason to buy a HOTAS, controller + keyboard works great

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Cowcaster posted:

i successfully completed my road to riches and did NOT jump into a star and now i have 330 million spacebux

now to buy an anaconda and jump into a star with it

if ur not using this game to satisfy your fantasies of screaming into a stellar-scale active fusion reaction at nearly the speed of light I don't even know what to say to you

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Keep doing missions until you can upgrade your FSD to "A" rated; the added range will let you reach more systems. A sidewinder will be just dandy for running data missions.

Also make sure you have the route planner set to "fastest" instead of "economical."

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Arcturas posted:

Whoops, I bought an eagle instead of upgrading my FSD. I'll fly this thing for a while and upgrade the components, hopefully that'll get me there. Are there specific locations I need to go to in order to buy better parts?

The Eagle is good too, no worries. Just get an A-rated FSD in there, and it'll be good enough. The only way you can really screw up in this game is if you fly around without enough credits to rebuy your current ship a couple of times.

When you sell modules you bought, you get the original price back. When you sell a hull, you take a 10% hit for depreciation. So if you sell your modules before selling the ship, you save a bit of cash. This also means you can mess around with outfitting your ship without losing any credits.

Check out https://eddb.io/ to find stuff in the game. Click on "Stations" and you can search for stations that have all sorts of features, including ones that sell whatever ship/module you're looking for. For ship purchases, go to a Li Yong Rui system (put "Li Yong" into the "Powers" box on eddb) and all ships are 15% off (this applies to your rebuy cost too!).

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
1) aim assist. there are three types of pew-pew shooty weapons that aren't missiles or whatever: fixed, gimbaled, and turreted. fixed are locked in place on your ship and only point straight ahead, you have to maneuver your ship to aim (you probably put a fixed mutli-cannon on your eagle). gimbaled are what you had on your sidewinder, they can aim around a little if you're pointed in the right direction. turreted puts the thing on a turret, and depending on your settings they will aim all around at anything they can see. fixed do the most damage (assuming you can keep them on target) and have the lowest power draw, gimbaled is in the middle for both, and turreted use the most power and do less damage. there are small symbols on the weapon modules in the outfitting screen, and i think the description also mentions the weapon type. try out things and see what you like, but i found gimbaled to be a good compromise when i was newer to the game (jk i can still barely handle fixed weapons on anything but the vulture). turrets tend to be more suited to the larger, less maneuverable ships.

2) black box missions. go to the system, jump in at the nav beacon. look for a white target near the "nav beacon" indicator and target it; this is the actual nav beacon itself. after a few seconds, your ship will finish scanning it. you'll then get an email with the location of the salvage. head back into supercruise, head to the location (it's usually a planet/moon), and then throttle all the way back and just orbit for a bit. after a random-ish amount of time (seconds to minutes) you'll get a "mission objective detected" message with a nav point on your panel. head to that location and drop in, you'll see a bunch of wreckage. look through your target list for whichever widget the mission wants salvaged (plus any other items you might want), then use the cargo scoop to grab them. look out for pirates, some of the higher level missions will spawn a pirate or two after you start scooping.

3) destination indicator. i don't think there's a way to change this; that indicator always points to your locked destination i think. for targets, your selected target is the square (hardpoints retracted) / triangle (hardpoints deployed) surrounded by < > brackets.

420) join the Diamond Frogs! there's plenty of people on the discord at all hours to answer questions, and somebody is usually around to get you into a gunner seat / fighter if you want to make some credits and see some new things. it's a chill group and makes it easier to figure out how to play.

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 19, 2018

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i went to visit the capital ship above earth and it didn't destroy me. those engine things at the front are pretty loud when you're about 10m away...

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i think elite is pretty fun, but star citizen is A LOT more fun to read/post about

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
think I'll go with

B
E
N
G
H
A
Z
I

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
maybe check out a diamondback explorer or asp explorer? the dbx is a hoot to fly around and it's got a great jump range. the asp is like its big brother.

you could also get a keelback and throw a fighter bay in it for more exciting mining!

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
You can sell any modules back for 100% of what you paid, and selling a ship you only take a 10% hit. As long as you have a decent stack of credits, you really don't have much to lose by taking ships for a test drive and seeing what you like. The smaller ships are cheap enough that 10% as a "test drive" fee is probably the equivalent of just running a couple missions.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Just remember to always sell off any of your modules before you sell a ship, that way you get all your module cash back. Some slots can't be empty, so just put whatever is cheapest in it.

It can be a grind to get money, but the game is pretty decent about letting you noodle with stuff. They could make all this more obvious to encourage newbies to just screw around (I was terrified to even try the outfitter because everything was so expensive and none of it made sense), but here we are.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
:rolleyes:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/411085-100-Million-Per-Hour-Skimmer-missions

some turd on the fdev bug report forums posted:

100 Million Per Hour - Skimmer missions
Severity
Severe

Frequency
Most of the time (75%)

Time of occurrence
Any time

Date of occurrence
Any Time

VR?
None / N/A

37 Ursae Majoris 6 D - Kirtley Observatory

Ship/SRV?
Ship

Ship Type

Commander Name
MP_Astro (made the video)

Description
Watch this video: 100 Mil/Hour - Skimmer missions | Elite dangerous Beyond 3.0 by Down to Earth Astronomy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtIetvdtMAI

Steps to Reproduce
Do a specific mission: Clean out 37 Ursae Majoris Silver Creative Sentry Skimmer. Always look for missions with 37. The mission is about killing skimmers against that corporation. If you're fully allied take the cash reward. Keep board hopping, cycling through private and open. Do this for 10 to 15 minutes to get about 10 to 20 missions. Then go to 37 Ursae Majoris 6 D - Kirtley Observatory. Then kill the skimmers, hand in the missions, choose cash reward and get paid about 90 to 100 million in one run (1 hour).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Thank you!

Edit: any recommended place to farm Imp rank?

Find an imperial system in boom and go stack data/delivery missions. I've gotten up to Knight in the past day or so in and around Lamgani.

• Locked thread